NATION

PASSWORD

[Beta] Hierarchy

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
The Ankhalic Vaspriot
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 811
Founded: Mar 19, 2020
Tyranny by Majority

[Beta] Hierarchy

Postby The Ankhalic Vaspriot » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:18 pm

Hello Technical! I have returned with another beta for you all: Hierarchy! This new beta is intended to measure both the prevalence and power of social and economic hierarchies in your nations. Whether you're the glorious leader of a psychotic dictatorship making sure the undesirables stay in their place or an anarchist revolutionary trying to abolish every last remnant of unjust power over another person, this stat can tell you what you need to know.

Link: https://www.nationstates.net/page=beta/ ... ot__y2tlrz
Currently reading: -The Myth of Sisyphus- by Albert Camus | Recently read: -Ella Minnow Pea- by Mark Dunn
_______________________________The Effervescent Esperance of The Ankhalic Vaspriot_______________________________
_______________________Senior Issues Editor_______________________

User avatar
Istuvia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Dec 06, 2025
Ex-Nation

Postby Istuvia » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:21 pm

I got 27.71 for Hierarchy. Is that a low or high score?

User avatar
Triseria
Envoy
 
Posts: 247
Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Triseria » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:23 pm

Istuvia wrote:I got 27.71 for Hierarchy. Is that a low or high score?

Considering mine is 124.06, I'd say it's quite low lol
Sunset Shimmer is best pony! | Femme Prime of Femboy

User avatar
The Ankhalic Vaspriot
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 811
Founded: Mar 19, 2020
Tyranny by Majority

Postby The Ankhalic Vaspriot » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:24 pm

Istuvia wrote:I got 27.71 for Hierarchy. Is that a low or high score?

I'm getting a low score of 0.20 for Kindjal and a high score of 1366 for The Dark System. More extreme numbers may exist, but these'll be pretty close. The vast majority of nations seem to fall between 4 and 21 with the top 10% threshold being somewhere between 60 and 70.
Last edited by The Ankhalic Vaspriot on Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading: -The Myth of Sisyphus- by Albert Camus | Recently read: -Ella Minnow Pea- by Mark Dunn
_______________________________The Effervescent Esperance of The Ankhalic Vaspriot_______________________________
_______________________Senior Issues Editor_______________________

User avatar
TRUMP ALMIGHTY
Minister
 
Posts: 2807
Founded: Dec 07, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby TRUMP ALMIGHTY » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:31 pm

I got 62 rungs per institution

Supreme Holy Emperor (Donald Jesus Trump)
Supreme Puppet to the Throne (JD Vance)
Supreme Yes Man to the Emperor (Marco Rubio)
Supreme Leader of Inflating BLS Job Reports (Scott Bessent)
Supreme Leader of Bringing Peace to Iran (Pete Hegseth)
Dear Leader of Emperor Protection (Pam Bondi)
...
It looks like after skimming through everyone else, I have 24 rungs. That's it? Where are the other 38? I can't keep track of everyone! SO BORING! I forgot how BORING being President can be
Last edited by TRUMP ALMIGHTY on Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
America? "Hotter" than Ever! INTENSE Heat, Direct Sunlight, Stagnant Water, & NO SHADE has turned the Reflecting Pool GREEN! I love green! Way better color than under Biden and Kamaliar. MAKE ALGAE GROW AGAIN!

User avatar
Dushina
Envoy
 
Posts: 267
Founded: Jul 17, 2021
Autocratic Socialists

Postby Dushina » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:39 pm

Currently sitting at 2.07. Looked through a few nations, here's what I found:

1% - ≈202.23
5% - ≈95.00
10% - ≈64.72
Mean - ≈25.18
Median - ≈10.645

Numbers seem to check out with what has been posted thus far.
Last edited by Dushina on Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
     ⯀     
The Empire of Dushina
6x GA Author • 2x Issue Author • Roleplay Stuff
★ NPO Senator of Gameside Affairs ★

User avatar
Valoptia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 61
Founded: Apr 26, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Valoptia » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:51 pm

I got 919 rungs here.

User avatar
Sovereign and United Arstotzka
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 46
Founded: Jan 22, 2025
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovereign and United Arstotzka » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:55 pm

Only 36.05 for me. I feel like that's... pretty low for a Psychotic Dictatorship. What exactly goes into calculating the score?
{{{ The Truth of Arstotzka}}}
Weather: Clear skies, balmy weather ||| Politics: Three Months On, No End in Sight ||| Entertainment: "Confounded" Comes to Arstotzka!
A healthy mix of personal worldbuilding and Papers, Please fanfiction that might become its own bigger thing one day. Stats are more like guidelines than actual stats, but feel free to use them for a vague approximation of life in Arstotzka.
I have absolutely no affiliation with Lucas Pope, 3909, or the Papers, Please brand. It's fanfic, man!

User avatar
Revived Unclear
Senator
 
Posts: 3850
Founded: Nov 23, 2024
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Revived Unclear » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:57 pm

Is 6.32 low?
Haiiiiiii! :3 I'm Unclear
I have Autism, ADHD, and potentially depression and anxiety :(


Through The Fire And The DOS we carry on!

Don't Stop For Nothing

NS's premier Weird Al Yankovic fan

Kentuckian summers f*cking suck

James Hetfield in a nutshell: "Hey hey hey hey hey, YEAHEAHEAH!"

"DO NOT VAPE THE ROCK BAND FOG JUICE, HERE IS ME TELLING YOU NOT TO DO THAT!"- Acai

Mattel Electronics presents "Beee seventeeeeennn bhomber"

"Madden Madden Madden"- AVGN

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee

I just wanna be in thigh highs bruh :3

You may have seen a bucket, but you've never seen me f**k it- FlyingKitty, 2019

Proudly bisexual!! :3

(WIP signature)

User avatar
The 2nd Facepunch Republic
Secretary
 
Posts: 39
Founded: Jan 24, 2022
Democratic Socialists

Postby The 2nd Facepunch Republic » Wed Mar 18, 2026 4:59 pm

325.24 rungs. Damn, what does this thing take into calculation exactly?
Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats,and rats make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats,and rats make me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me in a room. A rubber room! A rubber room with rats,and rats make me crazy. What am I even doing here?
Large militaristic nation taking up most of Europe and Bengal. Was once an imperial superpower but lost all colonies except Bengal which is currently a fully integrated province. Slowly decaying and falling behind the rest of the world, but things are fine for now. Government occasionally tries desperate bids to regain relevancy that often backfire.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11296
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 18, 2026 5:44 pm

I somehow have a value of 0.33 despite being an autocracy.

...How does a value smaller than 1 even make sense on this scale? Does that mean that not only do my people not follow anyone else's orders, but they're so unfocused that they don't even know what they're doing themselves?

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9158
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Mar 18, 2026 9:38 pm

1347.09 here

On a quick look Cutote manages 2733.18, which I imagine is top 10 at least

User avatar
Narvatus
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 130
Founded: Jun 10, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Narvatus » Wed Mar 18, 2026 11:24 pm

The highest I've been able to find is The Goggles at 3071.21.

The lowest I've found is Blogotopia at 0.11.
Last edited by Narvatus on Wed Mar 18, 2026 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
████████████████████████

User avatar
IZERN
Diplomat
 
Posts: 918
Founded: Dec 04, 2022
Capitalist Paradise

Postby IZERN » Thu Mar 19, 2026 2:55 am

104 here, hopefully that's not too bad :)
Republic of Izern
Mansfield Town, Up the Stags!
Likes anime horse girls for some reason, what kind of loser enjoys that stuff!?

5th Place Finisher in the Wonder Event 2026 - Tracen Academy
Hey, I'm on the news page!!!

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15046
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Mar 19, 2026 4:44 am

0.19 for mine, hah.

I do wonder... if this stat came out, and I got the data... Accessibility or Inclusiveness vs Hierarchy would be a nice comparison to do!
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Tillania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1099
Founded: May 08, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Tillania » Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:43 am

2.29 here. Nation is rather egalitarian, so that tracks.
This sig intentionally left blank

User avatar
Unogonduria
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10852
Founded: Jan 07, 2023
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unogonduria » Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:45 am

My score is 89.64, what does that mean??
Nature is beautiful. Praise the LORD!
And they were calling to one another: "Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” - Isaiah 6:3
NEVER FORGET!!!!
Embrace Tvrkic lingvistics + Indoevropean genetics
Be polite and humble. Please.
SapplyValues Political Compass Result - by far the most accurate political compass test on the internet, double checked with the results of the Bulgarian Political Compass!
Your local Soft Russophile
Even the return of the Ottoman Empire is prefferable to the return of the atheistic communist regimes throughout Europe.
Live life. Be masculine.
Christ is King! ☦☦☦

User avatar
Fauxia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5053
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Fauxia » Thu Mar 19, 2026 6:45 am

Interestingly, my normally very similar puppets Capitalist Fauxia and Capitalist Republic of Bling have very different scores of 11.34 and 85.18, respectively. Not sure why that would be—Capitalist Fauxia has more of an actual commitment to elections but as Trotterdam pointed out that doesn't seem to have much of an effect at the moment.

Edit: Probably slavery is doing most of the work in that regard.
Last edited by Fauxia on Thu Mar 19, 2026 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like to write issues, come read my vanity dispatch about them!
Sandaoguo wrote:a den of cynics and nihilists

User avatar
Ferengi Alliance Union
Attaché
 
Posts: 81
Founded: Nov 04, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Ferengi Alliance Union » Thu Mar 19, 2026 7:27 am

I got 959.13

User avatar
Land Without Shrimp
Envoy
 
Posts: 302
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Land Without Shrimp » Thu Mar 19, 2026 8:22 am

0.43 here. I guess I won't be sniffing that top 1%!

User avatar
EA Corporations
Envoy
 
Posts: 314
Founded: Jul 08, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby EA Corporations » Thu Mar 19, 2026 12:03 pm

Fauxia wrote:Interestingly, my normally very similar puppets Capitalist Fauxia and Capitalist Republic of Bling have very different scores of 11.34 and 85.18, respectively. Not sure why that would be—Capitalist Fauxia has more of an actual commitment to elections but as Trotterdam pointed out that doesn't seem to have much of an effect at the moment.

Edit: Probably slavery is doing most of the work in that regard.

Seems like inclusiveness is the biggest negative correlation with this stat; Capitalist Fauxia has a much higher inclusiveness, hence the lower hierarchy.
Last edited by EA Corporations on Thu Mar 19, 2026 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA Ambassador: Clark Cashman

User avatar
New-Normandy
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 104
Founded: Sep 15, 2024
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby New-Normandy » Thu Mar 19, 2026 12:36 pm

I got 291, I'm assuming it would be higher if I was capitalist.
Stats are canon unless stated otherwise.


Vive le Roi!

This nation does not represent my real life values, I am a right-leaning centrist.

User avatar
Krusavich
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Mar 19, 2018
Autocratic Socialists

Postby Krusavich » Thu Mar 19, 2026 4:59 pm

At the lower end with 0.54, quite surprised considering the piddly income equality, autocracy, and some other "kill glee" policies (capital punishment and conscription, mainly). I feel like any nation that mandates military service would have some ingrained minimum hierarchy.

Might be some take on the stereotypical "red horde" mythos.

also to complain some, we now have a few betas floating around Technical that aren't on the main Beta page. Understanding that not all these betas will see the light of publication, it would still be nice to have these aggregated for quick viewing.
Last edited by Krusavich on Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11296
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:42 pm

Hierarchy doesn't necessarily correlate with freedom. It's conceivable to have an absolute autocracy which has no other social ranks besides "Supreme Dictator" and "slaves", or a democracy with many tiers of intermediate authorities who are all democratically elected.

However, it seems to me that any nation that isn't a complete anarchy should have at least two "ladder rungs": Person Who Is In Charge and Person Who Is Not In Charge. And in practice, any nation consisting of millions of people is likely to need significantly more than that to function effectively.

User avatar
Fhaengshia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 384
Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Fhaengshia » Fri Mar 20, 2026 2:19 am

Around 45, which seems odd given my anarchic freedoms but high tax anarchies make very little sense (probably should have anarchies split into two)
Fhaengshia / FhaengCo-founder of The Cardtel, Author of SC403 Against Inflationary Practices and hopefully an increasing number of issues.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bisofeyr

Advertisement

Remove ads