NATION

PASSWORD

[Beta] Multilingualism

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
The Ankhalic Vaspriot
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 811
Founded: Mar 19, 2020
Tyranny by Majority

[Beta] Multilingualism

Postby The Ankhalic Vaspriot » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:34 am

Bonjour Technique! Guten Tag Technisch! Hello Technical! Ever wonder how easy it would be for a tourist to trash talk your people right in front of them in another language? Now you can know! The World Census carefully tracked rates of declension table defenestrations and crashouts over irregular verb conjugations to tell you how many languages your average person speaks. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

The ranking considers the willingness and capacity of your people to learn more languages along with how much they would need to be multilingual. It also factors in the government's disposition towards free expression and related factors.

Beta link.
Last edited by The Ankhalic Vaspriot on Fri Mar 27, 2026 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading: -The Myth of Sisyphus- by Albert Camus | Recently read: -Ella Minnow Pea- by Mark Dunn
_______________________________The Effervescent Esperance of The Ankhalic Vaspriot_______________________________
_______________________Senior Issues Editor_______________________

User avatar
Greater Deutsche
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1608
Founded: Sep 11, 2024
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Greater Deutsche » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:46 am

Looks like I've ended up with a 1.41. Seems like I will have to try and adjust my stats in the future to match my lore better, since all of my citizens speak 2-3 languages, lol. :p
Your very original 101st alternate history Germany
My Alts

Just here because Uberio asked me to, even a year+ later, blame him for everything
Your local forum lurker, I have a Q&A, and embassy applications!
NS stats aren't canon.

Hallo there!
No weird german patriotism behind this account despite myself being German.

I like being silly and doing art!(psst here's a factbook with my art)
They/them and Aroace c: Look here for more info!
spelling mistakes galore and more about me here
Artoznik wrote:poopy head Im writing about your countrys downfall for a school project
Washington-Columbia wrote:You're next on the human experimentation list :P
Uberio wrote:this person is lowk my mortal enemy /j
GD yaps: It was nice knowing you all.
☆EILMELDUNG AUS GRÖẞER DEUTSCHE: Bye.

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9158
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:48 am

Pleased to report that with an average score of 0.93, the average citizen doesn’t fully know their own language

User avatar
Orcuo
Senator
 
Posts: 3902
Founded: Dec 15, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Orcuo » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:50 am

Scored a 0.97. I suppose Orcuoians communicate with their fists.
Kill the pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.
She/Her
Join the Madness
Neder Islands wrote:Orcuo-type woke is so left that it falls back into the alt-right camp.

User avatar
IZERN
Diplomat
 
Posts: 917
Founded: Dec 04, 2022
Capitalist Paradise

Postby IZERN » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:54 am

1.86, not bad ig
Republic of Izern
Mansfield Town, Up the Stags!
Likes anime horse girls for some reason, what kind of loser enjoys that stuff!?

5th Place Finisher in the Wonder Event 2026 - Tracen Academy
Hey, I'm on the news page!!!

User avatar
Trotterdam
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11294
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:56 am

Apparently my people know six languages apiece.

A random sample test found only one nation exceeding two.

I think values (except mine) might be a bit low for realism, really. Bilingualism should be more common in any country that doesn't natively speak English (or whatever the lingua franca of @@REGION@@ is).

User avatar
Malalonius
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 359
Founded: Jun 05, 2024
Democratic Socialists

Postby Malalonius » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:57 am

1.53!

Either Malalonians don’t know English, phoenixes don’t know Malalonian, phoenixes don’t know their own tongue, Malalonians don’t know the phoenixes tongue, phoenixes don’t know English, non-natives don’t know Malalonian, or they don’t know the phoenixes tongue tongue…

…or the krakens are up to something.
-Tier 6, Level 0, Type 4 moralistic coastal desert nation with sapient mortal phoenixes.
-HOW AM I GOVERNOR—
-Gave my two colonies independence.

Avid Spore (Maxis-EA game) enjoyer.
BREAKING NEWS: Local krakens enter civil war over a failed game of Uno.| Malalonian-Zalgoland trade route halted, cause being recipient having CTE’d. | IUCN census declares 43% of Malalonian wildlife Threatened to Endangered.

User avatar
Thomas Harriot
Minister
 
Posts: 2261
Founded: Jun 23, 2025
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Thomas Harriot » Thu Jan 08, 2026 8:58 am

1.82
I'm #999 :p
Last edited by ɒmɒM ɘoႱ on Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:35 am, edited ∞ times in total.
He/Him, ML Commie. I'm old enough to drink, but not to live without my parents' money (college life). I live and learn here in the American Empire (USA) and I like cats better then dogs, deal with it >:P
PolitiScales
Pro: Socialism, communism, democracy, equality, freedom, abortion, Palestine
Anti: Capitalism, fascism/Trump, hate, bourgeoisie, suppression, TPUSA, Nazis
Moon, scientist, i'm still working on this. Also, it turns out my leader is gay...?

Slavery is privately owning the person. Capitalism is renting them by the hour.
You are not a capitalist, you are an exploited worker with Stockholm syndrome
☮☭☮☮☮FE Trolls☮☮☮☭☮
☭ go on my ignore list ☭

User avatar
Aadhiris
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5008
Founded: Mar 05, 2024
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Aadhiris » Thu Jan 08, 2026 9:01 am

I got 2.12 :D
Judging by the other posts in this thread, I think that's pretty good!
☆Pride month!!!☆
|| Leo/Sixer/Ashfur - He/him, they/them, blox/bloxs ||
★ || IC flag || view some of my flags here! || ★
|| "That's gender dysphoria, FYI (most helpful site I've ever stumbled upon)" || || Dictionary of Queer Terminology ||
|| my pronouns.page ||

______________________

User avatar
The Ambis
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1202
Founded: Dec 01, 2021
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Ambis » Thu Jan 08, 2026 9:53 am

2.41! Very multilingual ambisians we have
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Infinitely Devout - Rev 22:13 - Ceaselessly Heretical
Invea wrote: non-compliant W.A. members are fatigued by a practically non-dismissable notification, ... to the Ambis's delight
Sedgistan wrote: ...There's an obvious gameplay solution to that problem - burn Algerheaven to the ground. | "When Alger is the voice of reason, you know you have a problem"

User avatar
Aonghas MacAonghais
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 9
Founded: Nov 20, 2025
Ex-Nation

Postby Aonghas MacAonghais » Thu Jan 08, 2026 9:55 am

1.32
Looks like Gaelic and Scots aren't as strong as I hoped they would be :(
IC: The town of Angus ruled by MacAonghais dynasty emperors, all of which are called Aonghas or Aonghasina
OOC: Yet another alt of Anonymegg

User avatar
Kalmra
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Aug 24, 2025
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalmra » Thu Jan 08, 2026 9:59 am

1.53
Kalmrans are kind of sort of multilingual according to this...
I tend to be around. say hi
he/they, that one friend who's too nationstates:

User avatar
EA Corporations
Envoy
 
Posts: 313
Founded: Jul 08, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby EA Corporations » Thu Jan 08, 2026 11:30 am

0.91 here. I've tried going through a good few nations, and it seems the lowest I've seen this value go is 0.9.

Initially, I thought intelligence and inclusiveness were important factors in the calculation, but Despoticania, a nation with one of the highest intelligence scores in the world, and a top 20% inclusiveness, scores 0.91 on the scale. Similarly, they have a very high education and culture scores, so it can't be those either. Seems like rudeness is a big negative factor, although Andaricus and Midlands, within the top 10 worldwide for rudeness, scores 3-4 on this scale. Then I tested book publishing industry, and it seems to have a highly positive correlation, although there are other mediating factors, as Polinikia (top 2 for book publishing) only scores 1.34, despite having very low rudeness, whereas the rest of the top nations in book publishing seems to be around 3-5.
WA Ambassador: Clark Cashman

User avatar
Holmkerk
Diplomat
 
Posts: 684
Founded: Jan 24, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Holmkerk » Thu Jan 08, 2026 11:38 am

1.18

despite my populace being incompassionate, chauvinistic, and backwards (according to those untrustworthy foreign-funded world census stats), it seems I have an OK score.
likely due to my education stats.

Lore-wise, my nation is supposed to be full of people speaking at least two to three languages or dialects from the long list of germanic tongues spoken from Schleswig to Terschelling
„Das Christlich-Heilige, Mariengeweihte, Großsächsische, Freie, Edle, Völkische, Gemeine, Stammliche, Niederdietsche, Pangermanistische, Vereinigte Reichsfürstentum von Holmkerk-Sachsenland.“

An Independent Catholic Principality, rooted in Dutch, Saxon, Frisian, German tradition and culture. Ideologically speaking, an Authoritarian Integralist/Clerical Reactionary Nationalist Monarchy
Dutch-Hungarian Catholic Diasporoid
Politically somewhere between a national-conservative and a full-on monarchist reactionary
I currently speak English, French, Dutch and German (Working on improving my Dutch and German still, and trying to learn Hungarian)
Currently residing in christians
Remember to repent your sins and pray to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

User avatar
Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat
 
Posts: 670
Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Thu Jan 08, 2026 11:56 am

This beta seems to be mainly a combination of intelligence and inclusiveness, which makes sense. Multilingualism requires both a desire and ability to learn other languages (and neighbouring countries which speak very similar languages to you helps, but not possible to consider in NS). The highest I have seen is Kindjal (7.91), with a few others over 7, and most of the top nations of intelligence and inclusiveness over 6. The lowest I have seen is 0.90, held by Cutote, The Goggles, and a couple of my puppets.

Speaking of my puppets, Heliosphere has high intelligence and decent inclusiveness, and scores 5.26, whilst Thalasse, despite being world #1 for inclusiveness, scores 5.02 due to not being particularly high for intelligence. As mentioned above, two of my nations (Askatopia and Xynlandia) score 0.90, the joint lowest I have seen.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

User avatar
Antarctica-
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Sep 29, 2025
Ex-Nation

Postby Antarctica- » Thu Jan 08, 2026 12:00 pm

1.37.
Not too bad, I think.
Antarctic Federation
E Glacie, Concordia
McMurdo Weather: 0°C
Eurofed warns Russia against interference with Ukraine following Russian military buildup. | British UN delegate proposes "partition" of Libya, sparking controversy. | UN Space Authority study finds Kessler Syndrome "no longer a major threat."|
"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." -Thomas Paine

User avatar
Humanlonia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5272
Founded: Oct 30, 2025
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Humanlonia » Thu Jan 08, 2026 12:01 pm

1.41
It's sad, but according to the lore, Humanlonia is a multinational country. It seems we don't understand each other.
Update! 1.50. Humanlonia is developing.
New update: 1.51
1.54
1.53
Last edited by Humanlonia on Sun Apr 26, 2026 7:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
New Eestiball
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1094
Founded: Jan 06, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Eestiball » Thu Jan 08, 2026 12:08 pm

3.90. Just under half Kindjal. In terms of testing, I think I'm somewhere around 300th-400th in the world? Not sure, but considering I was beaten by one nation out of ~1500 random it seems to check out.

I'd think they'd be yet again first - Kindjal Kindjaling is what happens with most betas.
Bread and Roses
the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
enjoyer of chess, musical theatre, and the color indigo
decentralization is pretty cool
call me whatever you want
author of a SC resolution
fuck the tatmadaw
a/k/a Aamathyr, argent, Asiikafa, MIR

User avatar
Telhasuura
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 54
Founded: Dec 09, 2025
Ex-Nation

Postby Telhasuura » Thu Jan 08, 2026 12:11 pm

I got 1.38

User avatar
Northern Slatavia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 849
Founded: Apr 07, 2025
Corporate Police State

Postby Northern Slatavia » Thu Jan 08, 2026 2:58 pm

The Ankhalic Vaspriot wrote:Bonjour Technique! Guten Tag Technisch! Hello Technical! Ever wonder how easy it would be for a tourist to trash talk your people right in front of them in another language? Now you can know! The World Census carefully tracked rates of declension table defenestrations and crashouts over irregular verb conjugations to tell you how many languages your average person speaks. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

The ranking considers the willingness and capacity of your people to learn more languages along with how much they would need to be multilingual. It also factors in the government's disposition towards free expression and related factors.

Beta link.

Is this to be a new stat?
Fifth World Assembly Delegate of The Outskirts
Minister of World Assembly Affairs
RMB Moderator

Citizen of the West Pacific

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15043
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Jan 08, 2026 7:52 pm

6.83. Damn, thought it would be higher...
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Giovanniland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1181
Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Giovanniland » Fri Jan 09, 2026 4:02 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I think values (except mine) might be a bit low for realism, really. Bilingualism should be more common in any country that doesn't natively speak English (or whatever the lingua franca of @@REGION@@ is).

I don't think so - taking my IRL country as an example, I don't think a majority of Brazilians know enough English to have a decent conversation in it (that would be the minimum of what I'd consider 'to be able to speak a language'), and even fewer people speak it fluently.

Same for Spanish, the average person here would probably just speak a mix of the two languages (we call it Portunhol) and often that's enough for a casual situation, but that doesn't imply they know to speak Spanish.

If anything, the upper values are more surprising since you'd have the average inhabitant speaking 4+ languages.
Last edited by Giovanniland on Fri Jan 09, 2026 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
God-Empress Makasta Silversbane
Attaché
 
Posts: 92
Founded: Jun 20, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby God-Empress Makasta Silversbane » Fri Jan 09, 2026 8:30 pm

While I like the idea for this as a stat. I feel the measuring is something that feel makes this stat is hard to grind. Due to how small the range is (.9-8) it feels to me that players would get annoyed based on the premise that they could have the same score as a 1% but be in the 5% due to tie breakers and the range being so small. Unsure if that is taken to consideration with betas but that is my thoughts.
Eternity incarnate

The official spokes nation of her Holy Majesty God-Empress Makasta SIlversbane the first, keeper of the Ashen Thorne of Earth. Savoir of all humanity. Utopia made manifest.
totally not New Makasta's GA and Issues alt :3

User avatar
TRUMP ALMIGHTY
Minister
 
Posts: 2805
Founded: Dec 07, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby TRUMP ALMIGHTY » Fri Jan 09, 2026 8:53 pm

1.18? Supreme Holy Emperor Donald Jesus Trump is ENRAGED at how so many of our BLUE-BLOODED American Patriots thought “hey, you know what would be a Good Idea? To Waste my Time learning a Second Language.” 18%, from the looks of it. It’s a really large number. And don’t get me wrong, I love large numbers. You know how much I love to look at large numbers on one of Tim Apple’s devices so I can see how I make things BIGGER & BETTER than EVER. Just… Not This Time!
Last edited by TRUMP ALMIGHTY on Fri Jan 09, 2026 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America? "Hotter" than Ever! INTENSE Heat, Direct Sunlight, Stagnant Water, & NO SHADE has turned the Reflecting Pool GREEN! I love green! Way better color than under Biden and Kamaliar. MAKE ALGAE GROW AGAIN!

User avatar
The Pacific Northwest
Envoy
 
Posts: 235
Founded: May 26, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Pacific Northwest » Fri Jan 09, 2026 9:14 pm

My people are over here speaking 2.95 languages apiece.

I suppose that’s lore accurate.

I’m struggling to think of what stats might influence it though.
I don’t roleplay much, so all of my posts will be OOC.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mechanocracy

Advertisement

Remove ads