PART ONE: JANA ANUSIC - ONE OF THE BOYS
PART TWO: JANA ANUSIC - ONE OF THE BOYS
PART THREE: JANA ANUSIC - ONE OF THE BOYS
PART FOUR: JANA ANUSIC - ONE OF THE BOYS
PART FIVE: JANA ANUSIC - ONE OF THE BOYS

PART SIX: JANA ANUSIC - ONE OF THE BOYS
We’ve run this football blog / online magazine for a few years now and we’ve had contributors from all sorts of backgrounds. Former managers and coaches; scouts; a former player or two. Your man or woman from down the pub, your server at the local restaurant, the kids’ schoolteacher. All sorts of people. We haven’t yet asked any current players to pen an article for us, mostly because they either get advised not to write them or because we don’t want to put them in a difficult position writing about something which could affect their current or future career. We’re good like that. Now, finally, we’re changing that and asking current Mytanija international Jana Anusic to write a series of articles for us because we think it’s important. There are not enough women making it to the Mytanar national team and it’s not because they don’t have the talent for sport. When Jana approached us we thought it was a great opportunity to look into why she, so far, has been the only woman to make it into a Hoops shirt and become one of the boys.
The move to Frenei Tor helped me get the call-up for World Cup 94 qualification. Misel Ravnjak phoned me after the move and congratulated me. He said he liked the ambition I had shown throughout my career, always trying to better myself and never settling. That was great, but then he said I’d be back in the pool of players he’d be calling upon over the qualifying campaign. I was over the moon, I’d battled my way back in, even with a change of coach. Mytanar coaches enjoy detail, generally speaking there aren’t too many laidback coaches back home. They like to have a tactical plan, they like to get it across to the players in simple terms and they want to ensure that it has been taken on board. It wasn’t a surprise to me for Ravnjak to explain what he wanted from me and how he envisioned me in his Mytanija team.
I was slightly taken aback by the detail on my past that he was able to go into, however. He mentioned that I started my career as a striker and had slowly moved back, playing as a number ten at university and in the first few years of my professional career and then further back as a bona fide central midfielder as I had gotten older. Ravnjak said he saw me as the most advanced midfielder in his central midfield three. Good. That was probably my favoured position. Playing higher up often meant playing directly in the most congested area of the pitch. If you started in central midfield, even as the most advanced player, you could actually ‘arrive’ in that congested area. That meant you could pick your spot, you could see what the opposition players were doing and put yourself in the best position possible based on that. It was slightly easier than having to create the space yourself when you started in between opposition players.
It was a good conversation and a long way away from the early years of my career when scouts and coaches for boys’ teams said that they were impressed with my technical skills but that I wouldn’t be able to hack it against boys and that I should go and try handball. My gender didn’t even come into the conversation, nor did my physicality. For Misel Ravnjak, literally the national team coach, it wasn’t an issue, so why is it still presented as an issue for so many young girls who hope to have a football career in Mytanija?
I didn’t ask him why he didn’t mention my physicality. Maybe I should have. It would have been interesting to hear what he thought about it, about why so many girls are funnelled away from this sport and about why the only clear path to a professional football career is currently by going overseas to play. I’ve demonstrated that I can handle myself against men in Chromatika. It’s not an issue because I can do it, just like the men, and just like so many other Mytanar women could if only there was a clearer path to being footballers in Mytanija.
We got off to a good start with a 2-0 win over Boring Paradise. The coach went for his usual first eleven, with Ovsi playing in the most advanced midfield position and wearing that famous number ten shirt. It’s one which is becoming iconic in Mytanija. Playing in the same position as someone as talented as Ovsi is difficult. It can make it feel impossible to get a start, sometimes, but the qualifying campaign is long and there’s always things like form and injuries which can create opportunities. The key thing is winning, of course, as any fan of Mytanija would tell you. But as a footballer you always want to get on the pitch, too, so you have to be prepared when the chance to play does present itself.
A hard-fought 1-0 win at home to the Ochre Islands was a big result, Ovsi getting himself on the scoresheet, naturally. He’s a big game player and there’s a lot that we all try to take from his game. Sometimes he makes other professionals wonder ‘just how have you done that?’ Which is the sort of skill level that you dream of. When the gap between your average person and an average Treca Liga player is so large, can you imagine how it feels when you’re a professional and somebody is able to do things with the football that you can only dream of? It’s strange. We thank ourselves that he is Mytanar every single day, because playing against him – as confirmed by pretty much all of our non-Atletik domestic-based players – seems hellish.
I then got my first opportunity in the away game at the Spartan Dominion. Ravnjak’s approach to these away matches is to keep things tight, to be compact and to try to minimise the risks. That’s not always the most enthusing thing to hear as a footballer, but he felt I could offer something to help us execute the gameplan and that meant I would get a chance to prove myself. A solid performance and an assist for Fran Prpic-Bosanac later and I was receiving a first ever international player of the match award. It was nice to be recognised for a committed midfield showing. It wasn’t the most exciting game I’d ever played in but we fought hard and executed a specific plan and there’s a real sense of achievement in that sometimes.
Another 1-0 win, our third in a row, over hated rivals Sargossa meant that we were absolutely flying. I came on as a late sub for Ovsi in that match and the big games kept coming with a trip to Banija straight afterwards. Those matches are always difficult, but especially so when you’re a substitute and can’t directly affect the game until you come on. Banija played a little different to what we had expected, with their striker dropping into midfield to provide an extra body against our three-man midfield. The media spoke of Ravnjak being outfoxed by a Repinesque tactic, but the truth was that we were trying to ensure we didn’t suffer the fate so many other teams did against Banija and end up a couple of goals down early doors and then have to chase the game. That meant congesting the areas they liked to play in and unfortunately in that moment we didn’t keep things tight enough.
Against Sylestone the gaffer chose other players, but I came back in against The 14 Stars and we got a rather emphatic 3-1 win away from home. Hopefully I inspired some girls back home with my goal in that match, probably one of my favourites from throughout my career, a lovely, curled effort from the edge of the penalty area. Only my second international goal, but I remember watching men score goals as a child and wondering why there wasn’t a lady to cheer on. Hopefully my presence helps to rectify that somewhat. A disappointing 1-0 defeat to Starblaydia allowed Banija – who have been perfect – to really seize control of the group and grow their lead to 8 points. They really are one of the best teams right now and catching them is likely to be difficult, but we can continue to fight for a play-off spot and collecting as many points as possible will be important in trying to get a favourable tie at that stage.
Ravnjak is someone who has never given up at any point in his career, something which I really like, and he made a point of emphasising that trait whenever he could – looking back at his time as Ararat manager it’s clear to see that his teams always fought on even if people thought they were out of it. He wanted us to play in that vein going forwards and to respond immediately to the disappointment of being beaten by the Starblaydi. Another 3-1 win on the road over Al-Tamazgha was the perfect tonic to that disappointment, an excellent way to bounce back and another chance for me to get on the pitch and contribute to the task.
We’re nearly halfway through the qualification campaign and it’s about time for this six-part blog to come to an end. I’m thankful to the team at TO1B for allowing me the platform to both talk about my career and the unusual path I have followed to end up playing for Mytanija. I’m especially thankful for them highlighting the issue of women’s access to football back home. There are so many women who could have had long and successful careers as footballers, in much the same way as they do right across the multiverse, but they just haven’t had the chance to show that they can play – just as well as the men. I’ve ended up being ‘one of the boys’ in such a convoluted way. There’s no good reason for the antiquated view of football only being for men and boys to continue in the modern day, not when Mytanija views itself as progressive across society, but for some reason perpetuates the myth that football is a masculine sport and women should be limited to slightly less combative arenas such as volleyball or handball.
We can be physical too, some of the most aggressive players in world football at the moment are women and they’re damn good at it too. Look at the likes of Trudy Harrison, Amanda Guttisdottir and Moira Ansov. They’re all pretty recognisable names and have played in positions which require physicality (sometimes different types of physicality) and have been successful. I’ve done the same for both club and country over the past few years. I want there to be a pathway for young girls in Mytanija to be able to do the same after me, and that’s why I decided to work with TO1B on this piece. Let’s hope we see some changes. And if we don’t then let’s start forcing that change ourselves. They can’t hold us back forever, it didn’t work when women agitated for emancipation or the vote and we have to keep moving forward. If football is to be the next battleground for gender equality then let’s be the ones who fight the battle so future generations do not have to.
























































