NATION

PASSWORD

The Food Discussion Thread I

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:I’m gonna have hate for this but I have never eaten Starbucks in my entire life.

Lmao.

Uhm ... Starbucks is a coffee place so technically you drink their products but I suppose the sell actual food.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:56 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Katganistan wrote:What, no vegemite sandwich?

I didn't know you came from the land down under.

Thank god someone got it.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:I’m gonna have hate for this but I have never eaten Starbucks in my entire life.

Lmao.

Uhm ... Starbucks is a coffee place so technically you drink their products but I suppose the sell actual food.

Indeed

You can buy absolutely delicious ginger molasses cookies and macadamia nut cookies

Spinach pies, banana bread, muffins amongst other goodies

It’s a bit overpriced but it’s good and goes well with their coffees

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Lmao.

In my language you can eat what you drink.
johnathan

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:58 pm

Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uhm ... Starbucks is a coffee place so technically you drink their products but I suppose the sell actual food.

In my language you can eat what you drink.

What language is this?

No differentiation between eat and drink eh?

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:In my language you can eat what you drink.

What language is this?

Links to the alphabet, not the language itself
P.S: there are separate words for eating and drinking but you can use them interchangeably.
johnathan

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:41 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
What language is this?

Links to the alphabet, not the language itself
P.S: there are separate words for eating and drinking but you can use them interchangeably.

I see...

It looks like a very hard language for foreigners to learn :)

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:36 am

Katganistan wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
I didn't know you came from the land down under.

Thank god someone got it.

You can call me Blaat. God is my formal title.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:14 am

The chocolate chip cookies are blasting through the polls

Incredible

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:46 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:The chocolate chip cookies are blasting through the polls

Incredible

Now THIS is what I call civilized Homo sapiens.
johnathan

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:01 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:The chocolate chip cookies are blasting through the polls

Incredible

Now THIS is what I call civilized Homo sapiens.

Cold Stone Cookie Minster anyone?

It’s a favorite of mine

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:24 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:Now THIS is what I call civilized Homo sapiens.

It’s a favorite of mine

I'm not very fond of Oreos. They're ok, but they are something I wouldn't eat on a daily basis.
Glenbrook | "parare Domino plebem perfectam"
(last recorded 23/4) COVID-19 CASE TREND: 24% RISE| ACTIVE CASES: 10,201 DEATHS: 102,485 VACCINATED: 55% | RECORDED CASES: 8,584,192 |
Seagull Star News | Collapse at James Parker Int’l Airport kills 29: Terriorism suspected. | BluTech acquired by ChemDev | Price of gas reaches Ł5.39 per gallon.|
stan LOONA

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:26 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

It’s a favorite of mine

That looks FANTASTIC. Why don't they sell it here?
johnathan

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:22 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uhm ... Starbucks is a coffee place so technically you drink their products but I suppose the sell actual food.

Indeed

You can buy absolutely delicious ginger molasses cookies and macadamia nut cookies

Starbucks as a whole is overpriced.

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 am

Katganistan wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Indeed

They are. But it's amazing!
(last recorded 23/4) COVID-19 CASE TREND: 24% RISE| ACTIVE CASES: 10,201 DEATHS: 102,485 VACCINATED: 55% | RECORDED CASES: 8,584,192 |
Seagull Star News | Collapse at James Parker Int’l Airport kills 29: Terriorism suspected. | BluTech acquired by ChemDev | Price of gas reaches Ł5.39 per gallon.|
stan LOONA

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:32 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

It’s a favorite of mine

I prefer a locally owned Ice Cream place here called Creole Creamery. I find they are better, tenfold, over ColdStone.

Katganistan wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Indeed

Thankfully I don't drink Coffee to worry about overpriced flavored water.
Last edited by Shazbotdom on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 2 - 0 WSH | COL 1 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 2 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-19 | LSU 26-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-11

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Glenbrook wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Starbucks as a whole is overpriced.

They are. But it's amazing!

Their coffee tastes burnt to me. The only thing I drink there is the chai latte, and only when I am driving long distance.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It’s a favorite of mine

I prefer a locally owned Ice Cream place here called Creole Creamery. I find they are better, tenfold, over ColdStone.

My mom is allergic to nuts, to the point of us having to use her Epi-Pen and rush to the hospital because she goes into anaphylaxis.

I took her to Coldstone ONCE. There I watched them put together another customer's nut-filled sundae, decide there wasn't enough ice cream, then PUT THE SAME ICE CREAM SPADE THEY JUST MIXED NUTS INTO THE DESSERT BACK INTO THE ICE CREAM CONTAINER.

I said, "Hey -- you know you just mixed nuts with that spade -- and you put it back into the ice cream...."

And the person behind the counter said, "So?"

Now, if you work in food prep, you should know about cross contamination. You really should.

"If someone is allergic to nuts, you've contaminated that tub of ice cream, and they could die from it you know."

The person behind the counter just shrugged and went on doing what they were doing.

I got my mom out of there. I had been there with my nieces before and thought "overpriced for melty ice cream" but "actively not giving a shit about killing customers" made it the last time I ever went in.

Sent an email to corporate; got no response, so I guess they don't give a shit either.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:08 pm

I intermittently fasted for the better part of a week not too long ago, and it'd seem that it only caused my metabolism to slow significantly despite still having at least some food. My burn rate didn't return to normal until after I had more for a few days, my guess is that I exited starvation mode. 1100 calories isn't enough for me it'd seem like this calculator suggested. Am experimenting with 1600 instead. I read (but can't confirm) that you can't fast for more than 5 days at maximum, without Refeeding Syndrome becoming a danger. Breaking a fast that went on for too long is complicated, in that such a person can't just resume eating like they normally would. Too much too soon, and they'll die.

The only way that seems to work is to build up more muscle whilst keeping the calories largely the same. If you have too much muscle however, you do have to eat somewhat more to maintain it better. Eating less and exercising more, flat out doesn't work from my perspective. You risk any existing body fat being held onto even more if you try that for the long term. You can attack a layer of fat from one angle but not both at the same time.
Last edited by Saiwania on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It’s a favorite of mine

I prefer a locally owned Ice Cream place here called Creole Creamery. I find they are better, tenfold, over ColdStone.[/quote]

(I can't do quotes hahaha)

There's this great creamery in DE called the Woodside Farm Creamery. They make the best ice cream. They have a multitude of flavors and raise their animals humanely. They also sell eggs.
stan LOONA

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:I prefer a locally owned Ice Cream place here called Creole Creamery. I find they are better, tenfold, over ColdStone.

My mom is allergic to nuts, to the point of us having to use her Epi-Pen and rush to the hospital because she goes into anaphylaxis.

I took her to Coldstone ONCE. There I watched them put together another customer's nut-filled sundae, decide there wasn't enough ice cream, then PUT THE SAME ICE CREAM SPADE THEY JUST MIXED NUTS INTO THE DESSERT BACK INTO THE ICE CREAM CONTAINER.

I said, "Hey -- you know you just mixed nuts with that spade -- and you put it back into the ice cream...."

And the person behind the counter said, "So?"

Now, if you work in food prep, you should know about cross contamination. You really should.

"If someone is allergic to nuts, you've contaminated that tub of ice cream, and they could die from it you know."

The person behind the counter just shrugged and went on doing what they were doing.

I got my mom out of there. I had been there with my nieces before and thought "overpriced for melty ice cream" but "actively not giving a shit about killing customers" made it the last time I ever went in.

Sent an email to corporate; got no response, so I guess they don't give a shit either.

That's why I prefer local places. I know that if I raise a complaint to the ownership (who are in there several times a day), that it will get fixed PDQ. Although, at Creole Creamery, they always use different spatula's for scooping ice cream than they do for any "mixins".

They do have something here called the "Tchoupitoulas Challenge". I've not tried it, yet. But, the description of it makes me want to, I'm just not sure if I can do it on my own (as is mandated by the Challenge). If you finish it by yourself in the Hour Timeframe allotted, it's free. Otherwise, you pay $30.

Tchoupitoulas Challenge wrote:A sundae as big as its name — our most outrageous specialty made with eight scoops of ice cream and your choice of eight toppings served in grand fashion with whipped cream, sprinkles, cherries and wafers
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 2 - 0 WSH | COL 1 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 2 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-19 | LSU 26-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-11

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:34 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

It’s a favorite of mine

That looks FANTASTIC. Why don't they sell it here?

It’s really good. The green ice cream has a fantastic texture and taste.

It tastes different all over the world too.

The Vancouver version had a slightly more milky texture. While the version in Taiwan had a strong mint feel and less milk.

Whenever we go to Cold Stone, my friends and relatives would order varying flavors. But for me, it’s Cookie Minster every time.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Saiwania wrote:I intermittently fasted for the better part of a week not too long ago, and it'd seem that it only caused my metabolism to slow significantly despite still having at least some food. My burn rate didn't return to normal until after I had more for a few days, my guess is that I exited starvation mode. 1100 calories isn't enough for me it'd seem like this calculator suggested. Am experimenting with 1600 instead. I read (but can't confirm) that you can't fast for more than 5 days at maximum, without Refeeding Syndrome becoming a danger. Breaking a fast that went on for too long is complicated, in that such a person can't just resume eating like they normally would. Too much too soon, and they'll die.

The only way that seems to work is to build up more muscle whilst keeping the calories largely the same. If you have too much muscle however, you do have to eat somewhat more to maintain it better. Eating less and exercising more, flat out doesn't work from my perspective. You risk any existing body fat being held onto even more if you try that for the long term. You can attack a layer of fat from one angle but not both at the same time.

Why did you fast? Health reasons? Religious?

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:That looks FANTASTIC. Why don't they sell it here?

It’s really good. The green ice cream has a fantastic texture and taste.

It tastes different all over the world too.

The Vancouver version had a slightly more milky texture. While the version in Taiwan had a strong mint feel and less milk.

Whenever we go to Cold Stone, my friends and relatives would order varying flavors. But for me, it’s Cookie Minster every time.

Hong Kong has ice cream?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General