NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion Thread X: Originally there were 15

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
10%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
8%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
4%
Other Christian
15%

Total votes : 935

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 pm

Nakena wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:*snip*

Life isn't about happyness or pleasure. Happyness and pleasure is more often than not mere salt in our meal. Or a bonus or dessert to indulge in if you will so. No, its about survival and advancement in the face of hardships and an unforgiving and uncaring universe. Only through this determination we can survive and march on. Others may find solace in their idea of an different universe and indulge in it and find happyness within. Let them be so. For us though this is not our way, for we do not remain there amongst them in slavery, for we strive forward regardless of all the odds, towards to new horizons and the stars. This is our curse, our potential, our destiny, our wyrd.

For we shall inherit the world.

Diopolis wrote:Fitting this happened just before the feast of Christ the king.
Christus vincit! Christus regnat! Christus imperat!

Hail Satan, Prince of Life!

Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Do Jews believe in anything like a rapture?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_eschatology

Wait huh what? Jews believe in Reincarnation?
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:He's not the Messiah, he's been a very naughty boy.

Bloody Judean People’s Front

People's Front of Judea is where it's at.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Luminesa wrote:

Until the late modern era, the standard Jewish belief was that after one dies, one's immortal soul joins God in the world to come while one's body decomposes, or the soul continues in a cycle of re-incarnation into a chain of other bodies.[1]

So used to, not now.
Just goes to show how beliefs change with each generation.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
So other cultures who held different gods are satanic simply because they never heard or knew of Christianity?
The majority of the world did not know what Christianity was until Imperial Expansionism.
Do you know how many great cultures were lost simply because of that ideology?

The great Roman Empire where the head of the Catholic Church sits was once Pagan, and helped develop modern Europe and the Mediterranean as we know it.

If we go really really technical, it is satanic in the sense of "the Codex Astartes Bible does not support this action".

However, this does not mean imo that they are mustache-twirling comic villain evil just because it ain't Christian. In most cases it ain't satanic in that sense.

IT isn't satanic at all though, it's just because people then did not understand different cultures.
I mean the Chinese Empire as far greater than Europe in every way prior to roughly the renaissance. They were never considered satanic simply because of the massive trade Europe got through the silk road.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:20 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Bloody Judean People’s Front

I prefer the Judea Front of People.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Lost Memories wrote:
Ghost in the Shell wrote:1. Pagan idols have no place in any church. Pagans can repent and convert, but we will not bend the knee to them.
2. Inciting lay Catholics to reject heresy? Very good.
-It was forwarded to a few well known TradCath personalities like Taylor Marshall immediately after being punished
-We will not merge our devotion to the Holy Mother with a false pagan religion. Ever.

Do you think pagans are going to convert as an act of admiration for your superior culture, while you only show them disdain? I don't think that's how it works. These kind of actions don't help dialogue.
While i do agree too much liberty was allowed, as much as to have a pagan rite(or not a clearly christian one) in a church. But again, having an hissy fit about it, going to throw stuff in a river, and making a show about it, isn't a showing of civility.
Nor a showing of justice, if what they did was just, why act like thieves, why not being open about it?

You only see "Inciting lay Catholics to reject heresy", i also see "reeling people up to do other inane acts like these", inane because they don't really solve anything, they're just an outburst, while they still carry a worrying element of starting to target the objects to eventually get to the people. And also promote personal justice, shouldn't we be enouth civilized to have left that behind?

If some pieces of wood are enough to make some feel threatened in their faith, then there was something shaky in them to start with.
A piece of wood or a consecrated altar and church, who's going to win? Shouldn't the latter be the obvious answer for a christian?
It could have been a rite of purification for all we know. (which isn't much, as communication from the clergy has been lacking, which is the root problem of some feeling the need to take individual action)

-It was forwarded to a few well known TradCath personalities like Taylor Marshall immediately after being published

Yeah, how come i'm finding it curious for an american youtube opinionist to be the first reference for a vandalic act done in a church in rome?
Something doesn't add up geographically. Wouldn't be surprised if the culprit will be found to be an american too. A new kind of tourism?

-We will not merge our devotion to the Holy Mother with a false pagan religion. Ever.

You're welcome to read this article:
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/henrykarl ... tradition/
There is an history of catholicism trying to save the salvageable from pagan cults it converted.

Tarsonis wrote:This is one instance where I can say I only half agree with the trads. If this was incorporating a traditional figure to represent life, and sanctifying it to be used as a representation of the Blessed Theotokos, as the New Eve, such a thing would have a long and storied history in the Church, such a thing would be perfectly licit.

Wanting to be optimistic and assuming that was the intention on the higher hierarchies, it's also evident the execution has been sloppy.

Tarsonis wrote:The only way this could be better if he had burned the idols first so they couldn’t be recovered and replaced.

In the inanity of it, there was something poetic about getting those statues to float away by the current, something like "now they're back into nature"
(while i doubt there was any symbolic meaning for the choice of tossing them into a river..)

I would alos like to add this if I may?

[Hatuey], thinking a little, asked the religious man if Spaniards went to heaven. The religious man answered yes... The chief then said without further thought that he did not want to go there but to hell so as not to be where they were and where he would not see such cruel people. This is the name and honor that God and our faith have earned.[5]

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:
If we go really really technical, it is satanic in the sense of "the Codex Astartes Bible does not support this action".

However, this does not mean imo that they are mustache-twirling comic villain evil just because it ain't Christian. In most cases it ain't satanic in that sense.

IT isn't satanic at all though, it's just because people then did not understand different cultures.
I mean the Chinese Empire as far greater than Europe in every way prior to roughly the renaissance. They were never considered satanic simply because of the massive trade Europe got through the silk road.

Jesuit missionaries considered Chinese religions Satanic or pagan though. Although some tried to coopt Confucianism as a Ur-monotheistic philosophy which could be used to combat Daoists and Buddhists.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Bloody Judean People’s Front

Or the Popular People's Front of Judea.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Jesuit missionaries considered Chinese religions Satanic or pagan though. Although some tried to coopt Confucianism as a Ur-monotheistic philosophy which could be used to combat Daoists and Buddhists.

I mean, they could have let them be, but that would be asking the Jesuit Missionaries to be decent human beings.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:When nearly all your prophets build up to the arrival of the Messiah, and you ignore that Messiah (and execute Him), you are ignoring the prophets. It's pretty simple.

If you want to completely ignore all of the Jewish history regarding the messiah sure go ahead. In Judaism a messiah can be literally just a savior or great person that jewish people hold in high regard, like Cyrus the Great. Messiah can also refer to the end times. When the messiah comes the world will end. As the world didn’t end when Jesus appeared it’s safe to say that he’s not the king messiah.

Also Jesus was put to death because he blasphemed by claiming he was god.

The history of the word is irrelevant when you know I'm talking about the Messiah, not a messiah. The Second Coming will bring the end times. The charge of blasphemy doesn't exactly apply to the Son of God.
Luminesa wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The message of the Old Testament is left hollow without Christ. Obviously they're not Satanists, but they are still in error.

Your choice of words concerns me.

Well then it wasn't necessarily proper to equate Judaism with Satanism.

There is an association present, as there is in everything that rejects Christ.
Last edited by Northern Davincia on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

I mean, they could have let them be, but that would be asking the Jesuit Missionaries to be decent human beings.

I'm not addressing that, because my sig can pretty much give a decent clue as to where I stand on that, I'm just pointing out that Europeans didn't make exceptions for China because of economic prosperity. There's not even really a dichotomy because trying to convert China was potentially financially profitable since a Christian Emperor would be more likely to communicate with Europe more.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:34 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:

All I'm saying is that as far as the Bible is concerned, it is Satanic. Yes, the Bible is that black-and-white on the matter. If it's keeping someone from learning and accepting the Good News, it's literally Satan. It doesn't matter if the people or culture involved is virtuous or not by human standards.

“Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.” (2 Corinthians 4:4, NLT)

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

I'm not addressing that, because my sig can pretty much give a decent clue as to where I stand on that, I'm just pointing out that Europeans didn't make exceptions for China because of economic prosperity. There's not even really a dichotomy because trying to convert China was potentially financially profitable since a Christian Emperor would be more likely to communicate with Europe more.

Ahh, fair enough.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Katganistan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Nakena wrote:Hail Satan, Prince of Life!

*** Warned for trolling ***
Last edited by Katganistan on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:If you want to completely ignore all of the Jewish history regarding the messiah sure go ahead. In Judaism a messiah can be literally just a savior or great person that jewish people hold in high regard, like Cyrus the Great. Messiah can also refer to the end times. When the messiah comes the world will end. As the world didn’t end when Jesus appeared it’s safe to say that he’s not the king messiah.

Also Jesus was put to death because he blasphemed by claiming he was god.

Do Jews believe in anything like a rapture?

No. At the end of the world everyone will be judged accordingly. Those who fell out of god’s grace so to speak will cease to exist, their souls shattered into nothingness. While those who are in god’s grace will have eternal life. Though not much is said about what it all entails because Jews believe more in focusing on the here and now instead of what might come
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

All I'm saying is that as far as the Bible is concerned, it is Satanic. Yes, the Bible is that black-and-white on the matter. If it's keeping someone from learning and accepting the Good News, it's literally Satan. It doesn't matter if the people or culture involved is virtuous or not by human standards.

“Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.” (2 Corinthians 4:4, NLT)

Yet, this God has killed more people than Satan has.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:43 pm

Luminesa wrote:

No we don’t.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Katganistan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Locus Praemonstratus wrote:Furthermore, I never said never associate with the nonbeliever [Edited out for my own good].

Yes, well, we saw the original. While using the metaphor "pearls before swine" would not have got you into hot water, referring to unbelievers as "swine" has.

*** Warned for trolling ***

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:47 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:

Can't really argue against that, considering he killed 100% of all dead people today. :)

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Can't really argue against that, considering he killed 100% of all dead people today. :)

Also this God created Satan, meaning anything Satan does is in direct response to God creating him.
This is why it is difficult to believe in all this with all the flaws in logic.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
Can you give an example
Of how the universe would abide by a law of morality?

Sure. It would certainly be the case that if the universe dealt out some sort of "the good" (let's say justice) to conscious beings, that we could say some law in the universe were good. I challenge anyone to demonstrate to me that the virtuous person gets any more a lot in life than the unvirtuous person. This would not necessarily have to be justice, but it would have to apply in most every case. After all, if something is just a guideline that only applies in certain circumstances, then it can be broken and taken advantage of, and evil is the best at taking advantage of things. If it is randomly applied, it is not a law or good at all.

Ah okay. So despite what the heretical clowns of the Prosperity Gospel (televangelists) say, Christianity doesn’t teach that the virtuous will prosper while the wicked will starve. So I don’t understand the purpose of this line of debate.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:

And justly so in every circumstance.
Diarcesia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Not quite.
Celritannia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:

Also this God created Satan, meaning anything Satan does is in direct response to God creating him.

It is not in direct response to God creating him. It is in response to his own pride, with Satan thinking himself greater than God.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Tarsonis wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Sure. It would certainly be the case that if the universe dealt out some sort of "the good" (let's say justice) to conscious beings, that we could say some law in the universe were good. I challenge anyone to demonstrate to me that the virtuous person gets any more a lot in life than the unvirtuous person. This would not necessarily have to be justice, but it would have to apply in most every case. After all, if something is just a guideline that only applies in certain circumstances, then it can be broken and taken advantage of, and evil is the best at taking advantage of things. If it is randomly applied, it is not a law or good at all.

Ah okay. So despite what the heretical clowns of the Prosperity Gospel (televangelists) say, Christianity doesn’t teach that the virtuous will prosper while the wicked will starve. So I don’t understand the purpose of this line of debate.

Correct. What evidence can you provide which does demonstrate, then, that a moral law is present in reality? How is this cosmos different from an uncaring one?
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:57 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:

"Also this God created Satan"

Yes

"meaning anything Satan does is in direct response to God creating him"

Also yes. God disagrees with what Satan's doing, but he permitted it to be done nonetheless. It doesn't mean he approves of it, but he made it a part of his long-term plans.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General