NATION

PASSWORD

Biphobia in the LGBT community

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hamstan
Envoy

Founded: Sep 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamstan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm

This is basically my reaction to the op

ALL POWER TO THE HAM KINGS, COMRADES!-Vladimir Bacon, our founder
a 5.63 civilization, according to https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
IC Location: Has now expanded beyond the borders of its home universe and has constructed its own little interstellar empire in its own pocket universe
OOC: Hamstan does not reflect my views. I'm just a teenage anarchist

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm

Hamstan wrote:This is basically my reaction to the op

feel the stirn
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Hamstan wrote:This is basically my reaction to the op

Funny picture.

Lousy point.
Insert trite farewell here

Luvria
Civil Servant

Founded: May 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Luvria » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Luvria wrote:...Well, I don't view the sexual part of it as the most important or main part either and think it's much more than that.

What I have seen from the LGBT community is an overemphasis on being LGBT. Just like how racial associations devolve into an overemphasis on race and men's clubs become overly focused on "masculinity".

Not interested. Hard pass.

Yeah. I see the same thing, the cliqueyness and the overemphasis on sex. I guess I still technically am included in the community though.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Luvria wrote:
Scomagia wrote:What I have seen from the LGBT community is an overemphasis on being LGBT. Just like how racial associations devolve into an overemphasis on race and men's clubs become overly focused on "masculinity".

Not interested. Hard pass.

Yeah. I see the same thing, the cliqueyness and the overemphasis on sex. I guess I still technically am included in the community though.

No, you're in the category. You're only in "the community" if you want to be. They have no right to speak on your behalf or represent you just because of an innate similarity.

Eastern Denmark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Denmark » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:17 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Luvria wrote:Yeah. I see the same thing, the cliqueyness and the overemphasis on sex. I guess I still technically am included in the community though.

No, you're in the category. You're only in "the community" if you want to be. They have no right to speak on your behalf or represent you just because of an innate similarity.

Who’s the “they” in this scenario, who would attempt to be speaking on behalf of the entire LGBT community? Nobody normal does that...
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be. -Miguel De Cervantes

Paleoconservative Citizens
Envoy

Founded: Jun 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Paleoconservative Citizens » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Paleoconservative Citizens wrote:Me neither. People think I'm a blatant homophobe, when I don't hate gay people.
._.

It's hard to explain

Unfortunately, this is heavily contradicted by many of your posts. :(

It's hard to explain my actions without causing a huge argument. And the reason behind why I have a disdain towards Homosexuality, NOT Homosexuals.
Lutheran, Conservative. An ancient puppet brought to you by The Sladerstan
Good works do not make a good man, but a good man does good works, likewise, bad works do not make a bad man, but a bad man does bad works.

Chris White, leader of AAPC

Disclaimer: I often use gender and sex as interchangeable terms.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Eastern Denmark wrote:
Scomagia wrote:No, you're in the category. You're only in "the community" if you want to be. They have no right to speak on your behalf or represent you just because of an innate similarity.

Who’s the “they” in this scenario, who would attempt to be speaking on behalf of the entire LGBT community? Nobody normal does that...

I'm saying the LGBT "community" has no right to speak for people who belong to the groups of which the "community" is made.

People, even normal ones, often speak too broadly and try to represent people who are similar to them. Race, sexuality, religion, etc. It happens all the time

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:33 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Telconi wrote:People believe stupid shit. I was told, with a detailed explanation, that it was impossible for a bisexual to engage in a monogamous relationship.

Heard that too, even though it is total shit.

It's the kind of 'othering' people do to try and convince themselves that there is something wrong with being bisexual. "Oh they're very promiscuous." No more than heterosexuals, I imagine.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Heard that too, even though it is total shit.

It's the kind of 'othering' people do to try and convince themselves that there is something wrong with being bisexual. "Oh they're very promiscuous." No more than heterosexuals, I imagine.

There is a ridiculous assumption held by some that bisexual people are promiscuous, based on the non sequitur of: they can be attracted to more people, so they sleep with more people.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Katganistan wrote:

There is a ridiculous assumption held by some that bisexual people are promiscuous, based on the non sequitur of: they can be attracted to more people, so they sleep with more people.

Yeah, it's just a dumb stereotype. I'm pretty prudish, myself.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:Op did mention transexuals and went on to talk about bi people... But I do agree with your point that the acronym is rather idiotic as it should end after LGB... Everything beyond it is the fetishization of mental illness

*** Warned for trolling ***.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Luvria wrote:No, the wider community can get pretty cliquey among other things. Which is why some LGBT people don't want to be associated with it.

It's not really not wanting to get involved with anyone in the LGBT community, it's more just finding a part of the community disagreeable. Some people have only had experiences with a part of it they don't like and think the entire community is just like that, which is unfortunate, but it happens.

A different perspective:
Some of us find our sexuality isn't the most important or even a major part of our identity and thus don't care to associate with "communities" that are based on essentially the opposite view.

And that is absolutely valid.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Exactly. Also you have very rigid people who have to find something WRONG with it because it's not in their perception of how the world works, so they come up with this fantasy to explain why their "ick" reaction is valid.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Katganistan wrote:

There are also gay people who believe that bi people who have been with both sexes are tainted by the sex their not attracted to and thus broken/damaged or used goods.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There is a ridiculous assumption held by some that bisexual people are promiscuous, based on the non sequitur of: they can be attracted to more people, so they sleep with more people.

Exactly. Also you have very rigid people who have to find something WRONG with it because it's not in their perception of how the world works, so they come up with this fantasy to explain why their "ick" reaction is valid.

Yup. I honestly don't believe that anyone could truly be blind to it being a non sequitur, except by being willingly blind to it because it's a convenient excuse.

New haven america wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There is a ridiculous assumption held by some that bisexual people are promiscuous, based on the non sequitur of: they can be attracted to more people, so they sleep with more people.

There are also gay people who believe that bi people who have been with both sexes are tainted by the sex their not attracted to and thus broken or used goods.

Yes I have played witness to this rather strange notion a few times, and I have never really got to the bottom of why people think that.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Katganistan wrote:

I think it's probably more often born of insecurity. If you're an insecure person and your partner only expresses interest in one sex, cool. You sorta know what to be watching for, right? Like if you're in a hetero marriage and your partner is male, you know to be curious if they're suddenly spending a lot of time with a specific woman. If you are insecure and your partner is bi, you have no idea what to watch for.

I guess that's how it'd work? I'm a super secure person so it's difficult to imagine being so paranoid but a lot of folks are.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:55 pm

Katganistan wrote:Exactly. Also you have very rigid people who have to find something WRONG with it because it's not in their perception of how the world works, so they come up with this fantasy to explain why their "ick" reaction is valid.

Yup. I honestly don't believe that anyone could truly be blind to it being a non sequitur, except by being willingly blind to it because it's a convenient excuse.

New haven america wrote:There are also gay people who believe that bi people who have been with both sexes are tainted by the sex their not attracted to and thus broken or used goods.

Yes I have played witness to this rather strange notion a few times, and I have never really got to the bottom of why people think that.

Because every community needs people to gate keep, regardless of how petty and illogical your reasons need be.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Telconi wrote:People believe stupid shit. I was told, with a detailed explanation, that it was impossible for a bisexual to engage in a monogamous relationship.

Shit, that's news to me.

Yeah, apparently because a bisexual is attracted to both men and women they can't be in a monogamous relationship because their partner is either a man or a woman, not both. Oh, and if you pick a monogamous relationship with the opposite gender than you're straight now, and no longer Bisexual.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Hedge Fund Alsace
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hedge Fund Alsace » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 pm

This may be a bit off-topic in terms of OP's subject, but i felt that this needed to be made clear.

It is impossible to be bisexual.

I liken it to a mental illness as with transgenders; if you are a man, and you like men, you are gay. If you also like women, but are currently dating men, that still makes you gay.

You cannot be 'biphobic' if the very concept of being 'bisexual' is a contradiction in and of itself.

As with transgenders (a bit off-topic sry) - I find it a highly misused term. According to Google's definition, a transgender person is denoted as someone, "whose sense of... ...identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.."

To sum it up, you can be a man who likes girly things, dresses like a girl, 'talks' like a girl, but that does not mean that makes said person a girl. If your last pair of chromosomes are XY, then that means you are still a man. Asking people to refer to you as something that you are clearly not is akin to a mental illness;

Say if I were walking around claiming I was the second coming of Christ. People would, right away, ostracize me, laugh at me and dismiss me as loony. But when a man walks around calling himself a woman - asking others to refer to him as such - people encourage that type of behaviour?

But i digress.

Listen, I do not care what you do with your life, and i certainly do not care whether you like men or women. But if you have the need to go out of your way, and assert to me what gender you prefer me to call you, count me out.

If the entire crux of your personality revolves around the self gratification you receive when someone calls you something you are clearly not, you are a shallow human being.

Just be yourself, and don't bother anyone.
Last edited by Hedge Fund Alsace on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:45 pm

Hedge Fund Alsace wrote:This may be a bit off-topic in terms of OP's subject, but i felt that this needed to be made clear.

I liken it to a mental illness as with transgenders; if you are a man, and you like men, you are gay. If you also like women, but are currently dating men, that still makes you gay.

You cannot be 'biphobic' if the very concept of being 'bisexual' is a contradiction in and of itself.

As with transgenders (a bit off-topic sry) - I find it a highly misused term. According to Google's definition, a transgender person is denoted as someone, "whose sense of... ...identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.."

To sum it up, you can be a man who likes girly things, dresses like a girl, 'talks' like a girl, but that does not mean that makes said person a girl. If your last pair of chromosomes are XY, then that means you are still a man. Asking people to refer to you as something that you are clearly not is akin to a mental illness;

Say if I were walking around claiming I was the second coming of Christ. People would, right away, ostracize me, laugh at me and dismiss me as loony. But when a man walks around calling himself a woman - asking others to refer to him as such - people encourage that type of behaviour?

But i digress.

Listen, I do not care what you do with your life, and i certainly do not care whether you like men or women. But if you have the need to go out of your way, and assert to me what gender you prefer me to call you, count me out.

If the entire crux of your personality revolves around the self gratification you receive when someone calls you something you are clearly not, you are a shallow human being.

Obviously wrong. You can be attracted to either sex and, if you are, you are bisexual. It doesn't matter who you're seeing at the time. If you are attracted to both, you're bi. End of discussion. There is no contradiction.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Hedge Fund Alsace wrote:This may be a bit off-topic in terms of OP's subject, but i felt that this needed to be made clear.

But i digress.

Wow. So wrong, and yet so opinionated.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Araraukar wrote:
ElCKuT wrote:Actually the jury's still out on that.

Source? Unless you're saying you consciously chose your own sexuality.

Something can be flexible, fluid, and change over time, but still not be a conscious decision.

I used to be attracted to men, and no longer am. I went from Bisexual to straight over time. I don't know why or how.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Hedge Fund Alsace
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hedge Fund Alsace » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Katganistan wrote:Wow. So wrong, and yet so opinionated.

Can you elaborate to me why you think this line of thought is wrong?

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:08 pm

But i digress.

Opinionated, wrong, generalizing, flaming/baity, incorrect grammar, posted by a new Summer nation that was founded less than 2 weeks ago.

Guys, it's happened. The Summer Post is here. This isn't just any summer post we have here, no, this is The Summer Post. This post encapsulates everything that is wrong with NS Summer in such a quick and painful way that I have trouble believing this wasn't brought down from on high by the big guy himself.

Thank you, thank you Hedge Fund Alsace. You have brought us the most accurate summation of NS Summer to ever be posted. I don't know if your name will live on in HS history, but I will remember it.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General