NATION

PASSWORD

TET:TET

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45025
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kowani » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Pasong Tirad wrote:
Kowani wrote:What are those?

Oh my poor sweet summer child.

In my defense, according to the Wikipedia link
Wikipedia wrote: and over 90% of the site's traffic came from Asia.
I don't live there.
Last edited by Kowani on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.


Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16435
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:48 pm

Kowani wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:Oh my poor sweet summer child.

In my defense, according to the Wikipedia link
Wikipedia wrote:and over 90% of the site's traffic came from Asia.
I don't live there.

I'd never heard of Friendster untl I looked it up, either. So I don't think this is a "sweet summer child" thing.

Incidentally, I also don't live in Asia.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45025
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kowani » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 pm

Pasong Tirad wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:I looked back at my Facebook stuff and I am trying to delete it in a vain attempt to stop it.

It's not inflammatory, but sheesh, the weird crap I wrote.

Oh you'll never be rid of it. Ever. No matter how many times you press the delete button. The cringe of your teens will turn into the cringe of your early twenties.

Nothing is erased on the Internet.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.


Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 67957
Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kannap » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Kowani wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:Oh you'll never be rid of it. Ever. No matter how many times you press the delete button. The cringe of your teens will turn into the cringe of your early twenties.

Nothing is erased on the Internet.


Then we're left with one option: Destroy the internet.
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7
.::The List of National Sports::.
28 years old, gay demisexual, they/them atheist, South Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident red panda
Red Panda Network
Political Voting Record

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16435
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Kannap wrote:
Kowani wrote:Nothing is erased on the Internet.


Then we're left with one option: Destroy the internet.

Or... secret plan B, be a little careful with your information and don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want your mother/a potential employer finding out.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Geneviev
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16180
Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Kannap wrote:
Kowani wrote:Nothing is erased on the Internet.


Then we're left with one option: Destroy the internet.

Join the Amish.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15047
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 pm

Kannap wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:I looked back at my Facebook stuff and I am trying to delete it in a vain attempt to stop it.

It's not inflammatory, but sheesh, the weird crap I wrote.


Facebook ensures your entire cringeworthy past is often thrown in your face in the way of daily "memories"


It's like what The Office said... not even the Internet is ready for Creed.

Kowani wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:Oh you'll never be rid of it. Ever. No matter how many times you press the delete button. The cringe of your teens will turn into the cringe of your early twenties.

Nothing is erased on the Internet.


Except for the Apocalypse, or a huge EMP that somehow wipe off the entirety of the Internet.

Whatever happens on the Internet, stays there. You can choose to delete it, but in a grand scheme of things, someone probably had a screencap of your comment.

So the internet should never ever be ready to see my teenage stuff. Again, no flame or anything bad (thank goodness I didn't get into bad sub-Reddits or 4chan back then), I did weird crap, I was a huge-ass nerd, and it went on. I mean, nothing wrong with being nerdy, now that I look back, but every day I would talk about Maths or Physics stuff, and I was socially awkward. :P

The Free Joy State wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Then we're left with one option: Destroy the internet.

Or... secret plan B, be a little careful with your information and don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want your mother/a potential employer finding out.


It's not that it will turn away potential employers. If someone read it out in front of a crowd, I will just die emotionally inside. :meh:

But you know, back then, if you don't have Facebook, you will have weird looks, as if I have a third eye.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 67957
Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kannap » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:09 am

But does anybody really miss Farmville?
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7
.::The List of National Sports::.
28 years old, gay demisexual, they/them atheist, South Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident red panda
Red Panda Network
Political Voting Record

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54231
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 am

In the 2 days my newest story has been up, it's already got the second most likes of anything I've posted. It's 4 likes (Kudos? Whatever they call them over there) from being first. It might be my first story to hit 100 likes. Like goddamn. I don't know what I did with this thing, but it blew up.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16435
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 am

Valentine Z wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Or... secret plan B, be a little careful with your information and don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want your mother/a potential employer finding out.


It's not that it will turn away potential employers. If someone read it out in front of a crowd, I will just die emotionally inside. :meh:

But you know, back then, if you don't have Facebook, you will have weird looks, as if I have a third eye.

I really don't think you have to worry too much. Few people would comb years of another person's social media posts, except potential employers (and they're looking for egregious behaviour or posts like: "Got so wasted last night. Going to throw a sickie. Hahaha!" -- why anyone would say that where just anyone can see it, who knows, but people do).

I think there's a very low risk of people reading your old posts out for their amusement. Though, I understand if you want to make your social media more representative of where you are currently in your life.

EDIT: Not that I'm an expert on social media in any way, so do take everything I say with a grain of salt. Never had Facebook and deleted my Twitter when it proved more of a nuisance than it was worth.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15047
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:16 am

Kannap wrote:But does anybody really miss Farmville?


Not exactly Farmville. I have played Restaurant City, along with Empires and Allies... then Social City, Millionaire City, City of Wonders.

I spent around $30 on E&A before they shut down, proving my point once and for all not to spent on In-App-Purchase-based games.

(I still spent ~ $15 on Clash of Clans, and that was the final straw. Mobile gaming is not worth it if you need to keep paying, though there are some gems like GTA: Chinatown Wars).
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13772
Founded: May 31, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Pasong Tirad » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Kannap wrote:
Then we're left with one option: Destroy the internet.

Or... secret plan B, be a little careful with your information and don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want your mother/a potential employer finding out.

You want us to do something reasonable on the internet! Never! Destroy the internet!

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16435
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:20 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Or... secret plan B, be a little careful with your information and don't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want your mother/a potential employer finding out.

You want us to do something reasonable on the internet! Never! Destroy the internet!

Sorry, I forgot where I was for a moment...

Destroy the internet! Salt the ground so no chips, pixels or circuitry can ever sprout again!

Better?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45025
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kowani » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:23 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:

It's not that it will turn away potential employers. If someone read it out in front of a crowd, I will just die emotionally inside. :meh:

But you know, back then, if you don't have Facebook, you will have weird looks, as if I have a third eye.

I really don't think you have to worry too much. Few people would comb years of another person's social media posts, except potential employers (and they're looking for egregious behaviour or posts like: "Got so wasted last night. Going to throw a sickie. Hahaha!" -- why anyone would say that where just anyone can see it, who knows, but people do).

I think there's a very low risk of people reading your old posts out for their amusement. Though, I understand if you want to make your social media more representative of where you are currently in your life.

EDIT: Not that I'm an expert on social media in any way, so do take everything I say with a grain of salt. Never had Facebook and deleted my Twitter when it proved more of a nuisance than it was worth.

Have you missed this recent trend of combing through a celebrities old posts to see what edgy crap they said as a teenager.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.


Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45025
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kowani » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:23 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:You want us to do something reasonable on the internet! Never! Destroy the internet!

Sorry, I forgot where I was for a moment...

Destroy the internet! Salt the ground so no chips, pixels or circuitry can ever sprout again!

Better?

Quantum computing.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.


Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16435
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:39 am

Kowani wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I really don't think you have to worry too much. Few people would comb years of another person's social media posts, except potential employers (and they're looking for egregious behaviour or posts like: "Got so wasted last night. Going to throw a sickie. Hahaha!" -- why anyone would say that where just anyone can see it, who knows, but people do).

I think there's a very low risk of people reading your old posts out for their amusement. Though, I understand if you want to make your social media more representative of where you are currently in your life.

EDIT: Not that I'm an expert on social media in any way, so do take everything I say with a grain of salt. Never had Facebook and deleted my Twitter when it proved more of a nuisance than it was worth.

Have you missed this recent trend of combing through a celebrities old posts to see what edgy crap they said as a teenager.

No. But I evidently missed where Valentine Z was a celebrity.

That's not said to denigrate a much-celebrated NS player, who has contributed much to the game. I merely doubt he's tabloid-fodder. I could be wrong...

Yes, the edgy stuff that politicians and musicians and writers and actors say in their teens is up for debate, but that doesn't mean that every musing every random person ever made about their cats is suddenly going to be combed through and debated at length.

If a politician has previously expressed anti-Semitic views, even as a teenager, it is in the national interest that those views be explored and whether they still hold them be examined (for the same reason that it's of historical interest to note that Winston Churchill once publicly supported eugenics; public people have public controversies and their mistakes make part of the picture of their character).

That Daphne from Dorset really thought such-and-such band sucked when she was 15 is not in the national interest.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15047
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:18 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Kowani wrote:Have you missed this recent trend of combing through a celebrities old posts to see what edgy crap they said as a teenager.

No. But I evidently missed where Valentine Z was a celebrity.

That's not said to denigrate a much-celebrated NS player, who has contributed much to the game. I merely doubt he's tabloid-fodder. I could be wrong...

Yes, the edgy stuff that politicians and musicians and writers and actors say in their teens is up for debate, but that doesn't mean that every musing every random person ever made about their cats is suddenly going to be combed through and debated at length.

If a politician has previously expressed anti-Semitic views, even as a teenager, it is in the national interest that those views be explored and whether they still hold them be examined (for the same reason that it's of historical interest to note that Winston Churchill once publicly supported eugenics; public people have public controversies and their mistakes make part of the picture of their character).

That Daphne from Dorset really thought such-and-such band sucked when she was 15 is not in the national interest.


Far from being a celebrity (and I wouldn't want that kind of life, constantly barraged by cameras). No one really looks at my Facebook page, apart from my family, and my extended family, and a few of my friends. For milestones like a parade for finishing 2 years of conscript, however, I got quite an attention. Other than big milestones... it's pretty normal, really.

(And I didn't take that the wrong way at all, don't worry about it. Other than that Daily Mail thing, I don't exactly follow the tabloid news that often. I already seen it all from Facebook where "someone put transparent parasites into Coca Cola cans". :D)

To add on, Burmese celebrities actually get into fire too many times. They just can't stop craptalking and gossiping one another on Facebook.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16435
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 am

Valentine Z wrote:(And I didn't take that the wrong way at all, don't worry about it. Other than that Daily Mail thing, I don't exactly follow the tabloid news that often. I already seen it all from Facebook where "someone put transparent parasites into Coca Cola cans". :D)

*looks at the Coca Cola in my hand*

*keeps drinking*


Yum!

I mean, we all know how effectively Coca Cola actually works as a cleanser for taps and plugholes -- I use it for that -- and we still drink it. There's no need for, to use a phrase I strongly dislike "alternative facts" about it.

EDIT: And, for the record, I'd hate to be a celebrity too. I like my privacy.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15047
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:41 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:(And I didn't take that the wrong way at all, don't worry about it. Other than that Daily Mail thing, I don't exactly follow the tabloid news that often. I already seen it all from Facebook where "someone put transparent parasites into Coca Cola cans". :D)

*looks at the Coca Cola in my hand*

*keeps drinking*


Yum!

I mean, we all know how effectively Coca Cola actually works as a cleanser for taps and plugholes -- I use it for that -- and we still drink it. There's no need for, to use a phrase I strongly dislike "alternative facts" about it.

EDIT: And, for the record, I'd hate to be a celebrity too. I like my privacy.


Oh yeah, if you want to read more about it, here's the Snopes.com entry!
A lot of variations. Dasani Water, Coca-Cola... it all goes on. And I just had No-Sugar Coca Cola along with my lunch.

> I mean, we all know how effectively Coca Cola actually works as a cleanser for taps and plugholes -- I use it for that -- and we still drink it. There's no need for, to use a phrase I strongly dislike "alternative facts" about it.

True that! It may be unhealthy in most aspects, but darn it, a can or two per month can't hurt THAT much.

I am happy for the celebrities that have made it far in life, but at the same time, surely your life is going to be hectic if there are paparazzis taking photos of you in your own private times? And the "scandals and tabloid news" that follows up later is just the icing on this disaster cake.

Weird Al seems to have avoided it rather well. He's just a totally wholesome guy with nothing to hide, I suppose.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47854
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:01 am

Following up on the previous discussion, I don't agree that what anyone has written on social media in the past can be of legitimate "public interest". Even if they're a celebrity or a politician.

If someone's current public actions don't reveal their "whatever-ist" views then even if they still hold them they're not making them unfit for their current job. With that in mind, "gotcha" muckraking is more of a petty last-resort tactic when you don't like someone or want some clicks, not a public service.
Furthermore, I consider that feminism must be destroyed.

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15047
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:16 am

There are some things that can escalate REALLY quickly. It is one thing to tell someone that they made a bad joke, but entirely a wrong thing to stalk, take pictures, shame her, humiliate her, and repeat. And bear in mind that Justine Sacco is an everyday person like you and I; she was neither a celebrity, nor an important political head.

Internet mobs are scary.

(I went past 3333 posts? Crap... didn't know)
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54231
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 am

Holy balls. She didn't crash, she goddamn flew.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47854
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:32 am

Valentine Z wrote:There are some things that can escalate REALLY quickly. It is one thing to tell someone that they made a bad joke, but entirely a wrong thing to stalk, take pictures, shame her, humiliate her, and repeat. And bear in mind that Justine Sacco is an everyday person like you and I; she was neither a celebrity, nor an important political head.

Internet mobs are scary.


A lot of people online think that when someone's said or done something "bad" but not illegal, it's open season for them to pursue vigilante justice to punish them in the real world with harassment and threats.

Social media puts a lot of disaffected groups in touch with each other and they often take out the frustrations they have with not being able to affect policy by attacking ordinary people as if they were totems for "the system" as a whole, forgetting that they're actually people and that them doing wrong doesn't make anything right.
Last edited by Dumb Ideologies on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furthermore, I consider that feminism must be destroyed.

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15047
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:55 am

Ameriganastan wrote:Holy balls. She didn't crash, she goddamn flew.


Holy shit...

On a slightly more bright side, she didn't die. She was later diagnosed with a spinal fracture, for which she underwent surgery the following day.

Still, what a horrible injury for someone so young.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:There are some things that can escalate REALLY quickly. It is one thing to tell someone that they made a bad joke, but entirely a wrong thing to stalk, take pictures, shame her, humiliate her, and repeat. And bear in mind that Justine Sacco is an everyday person like you and I; she was neither a celebrity, nor an important political head.

Internet mobs are scary.


A lot of people online think that when someone's said or done something "bad" but not illegal, it's open season for them to pursue vigilante justice to punish them in the real world with harassment and threats.

Social media puts a lot of disaffected groups in touch with each other and they often take out the frustrations they have with not being able to affect policy by attacking ordinary people as if they were totems for "the system" as a whole, forgetting that they're actually people and that them doing wrong doesn't make anything right.


All of this, basically. At first, there was an outrage for what she said... that's okay, we get mad at some stupid things people said. But it snowballed into a dogpile, and that wasn't okay in any way, shape, or form.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
The Holy Therns
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30754
Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:20 am

The T on my keyboard just spontaneously launched itself into the air.

That's interesting.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads