NATION

PASSWORD

Million-pound Banksy painting gets shredded.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Ostrov Svobody
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 41
Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostrov Svobody » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:40 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
Not employable by me. And theirs hobbies that are actually worth doing.


That is patently ludicrous. Humans aren't cogs without feeling, and being devoted entirely to work is antithetical to our livelihood. We are higher thinkers than that.
Will use some NS stats until info is provided to the contrary.

OSN headlines: Salmon hatchery 'coming along nicely'/Controversy over proposed pumpjacks in rural north/Ostrovyan senate to pass educational television funding bill/Military expansion "Not a priority", Pres. states amid Senate debate.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:42 am

Ostrov Svobody wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:
Not employable by me. And theirs hobbies that are actually worth doing.


That is patently ludicrous. Humans aren't cogs without feeling, and being devoted entirely to work is antithetical to our livelihood. We are higher thinkers than that.


Being devoted to self improvement and using work as the competitive arena to test it is the highest thinking afaic
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
Ostrov Svobody
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 41
Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostrov Svobody » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
Being devoted to self improvement and using work as the competitive arena to test it is the highest thinking afaic


Self improvement isn't binary. The competitive arena isn't binary and unchanging, nor are the qualities required therein.

And besides, my contention, laid out earlier, is that a lot of ethos, cultural ideals, and hell - even our way of living are influenced heavily by things you'd deem a "Waste of time" with such a broad brush. I don't know you personally, so, obviously, I cannot authoritatively state what you do or don't do. But if everything that wasn't strictly educational was excised from our histories tomorrow, the world that gives you this platform to express this wouldn't exist, and you wouldn't be doing /this/ right now.
Will use some NS stats until info is provided to the contrary.

OSN headlines: Salmon hatchery 'coming along nicely'/Controversy over proposed pumpjacks in rural north/Ostrovyan senate to pass educational television funding bill/Military expansion "Not a priority", Pres. states amid Senate debate.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:57 am

Ostrov Svobody wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:
Being devoted to self improvement and using work as the competitive arena to test it is the highest thinking afaic


Self improvement isn't binary. The competitive arena isn't binary and unchanging, nor are the qualities required therein.

And besides, my contention, laid out earlier, is that a lot of ethos, cultural ideals, and hell - even our way of living are influenced heavily by things you'd deem a "Waste of time" with such a broad brush. I don't know you personally, so, obviously, I cannot authoritatively state what you do or don't do. But if everything that wasn't strictly educational was excised from our histories tomorrow, the world that gives you this platform to express this wouldn't exist, and you wouldn't be doing /this/ right now.


I’m not certain where you get the idea of binary from.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
Ostrov Svobody
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 41
Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostrov Svobody » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:00 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
I’m not certain where you get the idea of binary from.


Your definition of self-improvement, and what qualifies it isn't necessarily the same between everybody else. That's what I mean by 'binary'. You're treating it as a universal constant.

And as to my greater point, your (presumably, correct me if I'm wrong) individualistic-oriented ideals were spurred on by the Romanticism period of art, along with many other cultural factors that grew around it. We derive and discuss many morals through our various forms of media, and disseminate tough subjects of the human condition.

It's not all reality television and ritzy people with too much money to burn.

EDIT: Edited out an error in my words.
Last edited by Ostrov Svobody on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will use some NS stats until info is provided to the contrary.

OSN headlines: Salmon hatchery 'coming along nicely'/Controversy over proposed pumpjacks in rural north/Ostrovyan senate to pass educational television funding bill/Military expansion "Not a priority", Pres. states amid Senate debate.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:05 am

Ostrov Svobody wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:
I’m not certain where you get the idea of binary from.


Your definition of self-improvement, and what qualifies it isn't necessarily the same between everybody else. That's what I mean by 'binary'. You're treating it as a universal constant.

And as to my greater point, your (presumably, correct me if I'm wrong) individualistic-oriented, work-oriented ideals were spurred on by the Romanticism period of art, along with many other cultural factors that grew around it. We derive and discuss many morals through our various forms of media, and disseminate tough subjects of the human condition.

It's not all reality television and ritzy people with too much money to burn.


Oh I definitely see productivity as a universal constant for good.

I’m not educated much past basic literacy, so I have no idea what you’re talking about here.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
Ostrov Svobody
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 41
Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostrov Svobody » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:07 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
Ostrov Svobody wrote:
Your definition of self-improvement, and what qualifies it isn't necessarily the same between everybody else. That's what I mean by 'binary'. You're treating it as a universal constant.

And as to my greater point, your (presumably, correct me if I'm wrong) individualistic-oriented, work-oriented ideals were spurred on by the Romanticism period of art, along with many other cultural factors that grew around it. We derive and discuss many morals through our various forms of media, and disseminate tough subjects of the human condition.

It's not all reality television and ritzy people with too much money to burn.


Oh I definitely see productivity as a universal constant for good.

I’m not educated much past basic literacy, so I have no idea what you’re talking about here.


Fair enough, I'm not trying to be condescending or anything of that nature.

Productivity, also, is not something you can assign to /one/ meaning. Is it simply economical throughput?
Will use some NS stats until info is provided to the contrary.

OSN headlines: Salmon hatchery 'coming along nicely'/Controversy over proposed pumpjacks in rural north/Ostrovyan senate to pass educational television funding bill/Military expansion "Not a priority", Pres. states amid Senate debate.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:10 am

Ostrov Svobody wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:
Oh I definitely see productivity as a universal constant for good.

I’m not educated much past basic literacy, so I have no idea what you’re talking about here.


Fair enough, I'm not trying to be condescending or anything of that nature.

Productivity, also, is not something you can assign to /one/ meaning. Is it simply economical throughput?


Largely yes. But I have a near spiritual faith, in productivity and competition. Nothing makes the world a better place than the two.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
Ostrov Svobody
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 41
Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostrov Svobody » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:13 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
Ostrov Svobody wrote:
Fair enough, I'm not trying to be condescending or anything of that nature.

Productivity, also, is not something you can assign to /one/ meaning. Is it simply economical throughput?


Largely yes. But I have a near spiritual faith, in productivity and competition. Nothing makes the world a better place than the two.


Then I'd have to disagree.

While the industrial revolution across the world, and the capitalistic fervor that followed were definitely net benefits for the world, we did not simply speed up a process. There is a cultural, and artistic aspect in almost everything. Our cars, our clothes, our books, television, movies, etc. If we were merely productive, we wouldn't be individuals with a propensity for free thought - we'd be productive in insular pockets, and competitive with the other wild animals.

It's easy to view a few dribblings on a canvas, or this stunt as a 'waste of time', sure. But art in general? I think your view on it is a little myopic.
Will use some NS stats until info is provided to the contrary.

OSN headlines: Salmon hatchery 'coming along nicely'/Controversy over proposed pumpjacks in rural north/Ostrovyan senate to pass educational television funding bill/Military expansion "Not a priority", Pres. states amid Senate debate.

User avatar
Valentine Z
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15043
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:19 am

Art is a subjective thing, to be honest. It all depends on who is going to pay a million pounds (or a million kilograms ;)) for a piece of art.

It's like that Jackson Pollack art that was initially deemed as a piece of junk and maybe only worth $5... until it was from the name alone that ramped that up to a nice $9 million (offered by one Saudi buyer).

The artpiece in question?

Image
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
♪ If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day so far ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down ! ♪
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

♡ Issues Thread ♡ Photography Stuff ♡ Project: Save F7. ♡ Stats Analysis ♡

♡ The Sixty! ♡ Valentian Stories! ♡ Gwen's Adventures! ♡

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:24 am

Ostrov Svobody wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:
Largely yes. But I have a near spiritual faith, in productivity and competition. Nothing makes the world a better place than the two.


Then I'd have to disagree.

While the industrial revolution across the world, and the capitalistic fervor that followed were definitely net benefits for the world, we did not simply speed up a process. There is a cultural, and artistic aspect in almost everything. Our cars, our clothes, our books, television, movies, etc. If we were merely productive, we wouldn't be individuals with a propensity for free thought - we'd be productive in insular pockets, and competitive with the other wild animals.

It's easy to view a few dribblings on a canvas, or this stunt as a 'waste of time', sure. But art in general? I think your view on it is a little myopic.


Yeah I’m going to need your definition of individual and free thought here.

I would say there wasn’t a process before capitalism. It was a consistent authoritarian shit show, with little actual variety.

As for the cultural side, I’m going to go with the artistic part actually slows down measurable improvement, when compared with pure practicality.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35507
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:26 am

*Trollface*
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41224
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:31 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Nah. Art is awesome.

There's just no need for the ridiculously inflated prices with big name artists. I actually like Banksy's work, but even if I had a million pounds, I'd never spend it on that. It's just a ridiculous amount to spend on something like that when there are millions of other pieces of artwork in the world, and you can easily find a nifty piece by a less famous artist that costs a few hundred pounds instead of a million. Of course, that's kind of the point of a prank like this, pointing out how silly the high end art market is. It doesn't mean art isn't worthwhile, or even that Banksy's art isn't worthwhile, just that some people are pretentious twits that overpay for things. It's no different than people who buy overpriced clothes because of the brand. Doesn't prove that clothes are a waste of time, just proves there are people who have more money than sense.


Nah art is a waste of time.

The only good thing about it is it’s a clear sign of who to never employ.



Oh no

Gasp!

User avatar
Isilanka
Diplomat
 
Posts: 799
Founded: Dec 13, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Isilanka » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:00 am

Hey, you know a human activity that's totally useless and actively detrimental to human advancement and progress ?
War.
You'll get back to me with ramblings about how art is useless when the world's military budget is divided by 100 and tank divisions cost less than paintings - for starters.

Anyway, to the matter at hand, I'm not necessarily a Bansky fan, but I love what he did there.
Last edited by Isilanka on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pagan, slightly matriarchal nation with near future technology. Northern-european inspired culture in the north, arabic-inspired in the south. Liberal, left-leaning, high-tech environmentalist nation.
Uses most NS stats.

Native of The Pacific. Usually non-aligned. Make of that what you will.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:03 am

Isilanka wrote:Hey, you know a human activity that's totally useless and actively detrimental to human advancement and progress ?
War.
You'll get back to me with ramblings about how art is useless when the world's military budget is divided by 100 - for starters.

Anyway, to the matter at hand, I'm not necessarily a Bansky fan, but I love what he did there.



God I wish factories went 24/7.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
Isilanka
Diplomat
 
Posts: 799
Founded: Dec 13, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Isilanka » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
Isilanka wrote:Hey, you know a human activity that's totally useless and actively detrimental to human advancement and progress ?
War.
You'll get back to me with ramblings about how art is useless when the world's military budget is divided by 100 - for starters.

Anyway, to the matter at hand, I'm not necessarily a Bansky fan, but I love what he did there.



God I wish factories went 24/7.


Woops, sorry, I sneakily edited my post because I deemed the first one a tad too exaggerated.
I mean, you want Earth to become a Warhammer 40K Forgeworld, that's your problem. I'll keep my dysfunctional, non-optimized but still human world, thank you very much.
Last edited by Isilanka on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pagan, slightly matriarchal nation with near future technology. Northern-european inspired culture in the north, arabic-inspired in the south. Liberal, left-leaning, high-tech environmentalist nation.
Uses most NS stats.

Native of The Pacific. Usually non-aligned. Make of that what you will.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:05 am

Isilanka wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:

God I wish factories went 24/7.


Woops, sorry, I sneakily edited my post because I deemed the first one a tad too exaggerated.
I mean, you want Earth to become a Warhammer 40K Forgeworld, that's your problem. I'll keep my dysfunctional, non-optimized but still human world, thank you very much.


A whatnow?
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63185
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:08 am

Hah, never been a huge Banksy person, but this amused me.

Right wing humour squad wrote:
Isilanka wrote:
Woops, sorry, I sneakily edited my post because I deemed the first one a tad too exaggerated.
I mean, you want Earth to become a Warhammer 40K Forgeworld, that's your problem. I'll keep my dysfunctional, non-optimized but still human world, thank you very much.


A whatnow?

Forge world.

Its a planet that has a giant factory complex covering most of, if not all of its landscape.

Some times several complexes, each having billions and billions of workers.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:11 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Hah, never been a huge Banksy person, but this amused me.

Right wing humour squad wrote:
A whatnow?

Forge world.

Its a planet that has a giant factory complex covering most of, if not all of its landscape.

Some times several complexes, each having billions and billions of workers.


Heh knowing what I know of 40k is probably some dystopian hellscape instead of the pinnacle of human existence it would actually be.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63185
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Hah, never been a huge Banksy person, but this amused me.


Forge world.

Its a planet that has a giant factory complex covering most of, if not all of its landscape.

Some times several complexes, each having billions and billions of workers.


Heh knowing what I know of 40k is probably some dystopian hellscape instead of the pinnacle of human existence it would actually be.

Yes Pretty much
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
The Holy Therns
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30754
Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:13 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Nah. Art is awesome.

There's just no need for the ridiculously inflated prices with big name artists. I actually like Banksy's work, but even if I had a million pounds, I'd never spend it on that. It's just a ridiculous amount to spend on something like that when there are millions of other pieces of artwork in the world, and you can easily find a nifty piece by a less famous artist that costs a few hundred pounds instead of a million. Of course, that's kind of the point of a prank like this, pointing out how silly the high end art market is. It doesn't mean art isn't worthwhile, or even that Banksy's art isn't worthwhile, just that some people are pretentious twits that overpay for things. It's no different than people who buy overpriced clothes because of the brand. Doesn't prove that clothes are a waste of time, just proves there are people who have more money than sense.


Nah art is a waste of time.

The only good thing about it is it’s a clear sign of who to never employ.


Don't try your luck as an investor.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

User avatar
Right wing humour squad
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1080
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 am

The Holy Therns wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:
Nah art is a waste of time.

The only good thing about it is it’s a clear sign of who to never employ.


Don't try your luck as an investor.


Ha I hire someone for that!
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

User avatar
Isilanka
Diplomat
 
Posts: 799
Founded: Dec 13, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Isilanka » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:
Heh knowing what I know of 40k is probably some dystopian hellscape instead of the pinnacle of human existence it would actually be.

Yes Pretty much


What's weird is to think that a society that's only focused on producing goods at peak efficiency can produce something that doesn't look like a 40K Forge world.
Pagan, slightly matriarchal nation with near future technology. Northern-european inspired culture in the north, arabic-inspired in the south. Liberal, left-leaning, high-tech environmentalist nation.
Uses most NS stats.

Native of The Pacific. Usually non-aligned. Make of that what you will.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35507
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 am

The Holy Therns wrote:
Right wing humour squad wrote:art is a waste of time.

Don't try your luck as an investor.

Ironically, saying that "art is a waste of time" is using an awfully broad brush.

Puns aside, the philistinism being exhibited here is shocking.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The South Falls
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13346
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 am

It's kinda funny, and smart.


It also raises the value of this painting through its notoriety.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.


Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Blue MAGA, Doge Republics, Garnet Team, Greater Britannian Realm, Isabel la Catolica, Jolthig, Kurgao, Namante, Port Carverton, Rusozak, Shidei, The Notorious Mad Jack, TheHouseOfSilly, TRUMP ALMIGHTY, Valyxias, Yusania

Advertisement

Remove ads