NATION

PASSWORD

[Legality Challenge] Mandatory Vaccination Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Legality Challenge] Mandatory Vaccination Act

Postby Old Hope » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Discussion:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=426106
Mandatory Vaccination Act

A resolution to modify universal standards of healthcare.

Category: Health

Area of Effect: Healthcare

Proposed by: The United Artherian Federation

The World Assembly:

Seeing that vaccinations are needed as a frontline against disease and sickness,

Knowingthat many people opt out of life saving vaccinations every year,

Believing that this endangers not only themselves, but entire communities, as those unable to get vaccines, for reasons of health or otherwise, are forced to depend on herd immunity,

Frustrated by the fallacious chants of "my child, my choice" which can be heard in certain camps who fail to acknowledge that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link--everyone must be vaccinated in order for everyone to be safe,

Saddened that outbreaks of diseases such as the measles continue, despite being easily preventable,

Declaring that this travesty cannot go on any longer:

1. Tasks the World Health Authority (WHA) with publishing reccomendations as to the appropriate scheduling, techniques, and dosages for vaccinations,

2. Mandates that all member states of the World Assembly require each citizens to receive any vaccinations deemed neccessary by the World Health Authority, subject to its appropriate guidlines, unless a health hazard would be posed by the receiving thereof,

3. Clarifies that said vaccines will be made easily accessible in all member states, and cost shall not be a barrier to obtaining one,

4. Authorizes the usage of the World Assembly General Fund to aid in the distribution of vaccines to nations unable to obtain them.

Co-Authored by United Massachusetts

3. Clarifies that said vaccines will be made easily accessible in all member states, and cost shall not be a barrier to obtaining one,

4. Authorizes the usage of the World Assembly General Fund to aid in the distribution of vaccines to nations unable to obtain them.

These clauses of the proposal
are, in our opinion, in violation of Contradiction, namely General Assembly Resolution 41:
1) An appropriate part of World Health Authority’s budget shall be directed for buying and distributing, when and where necessary, high-cost life-saving medications and vaccines. Negotiations shall take place between the agencies and patent holders so as to achieve a minimum acceptable price, one that does not hamper the industries affected nor further research, nor depletes the WA economic resources or otherwise adversely impacts the multitude of activities dependant on WA funding.

2) Life-saving medications’ and vaccines patents may be temporarily waivered only in the most extraordinary of situations, like in the presence of imminent or unfolding public health catastrophes, such as lethal airborne diseases with a small period of incubation, strictly for as small a period as necessary, as determined by the WHA and only after every other venue of emergency negotiations between the WA and the patent holders have been exhausted.

because the method and the scope of authorization towards spending contradict each other.
GAR 41 restricts the usage of the budget, and the proposal does not abide by these restrictions.
Last edited by Old Hope on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:11 am

To add to the urgency of this, this looks to be the next to go into vote, unless something strange happens and it can't get and maintain quorum (at the moment 2 more approvals needed).

EDIT: However, other than the idiocy of having WAGF aid in distributing vaccines, I don't really see the illegality as claimed. If anything, it looks like duplication.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 am

The concerns raised here are not necessarily invalid but I'd need to chew on them a while longer. There's a more obvious committee rule issue IMO. If you strip out the committee, you're left with nothing. If we use the doomsday asteroid defenses test, I think it's rather clear that there is nothing left for member states to do independent of the committee. Clause 3 is nearly there but absent the committee's workings on the relevant "said vaccines", there is nothing left for member states to do.

1. Tasks the World Health Authority (WHA) with publishing reccomendations as to the appropriate scheduling, techniques, and dosages for interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids,

2. Mandates that all member states of the World Assembly require each citizens to receive any interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids deemed neccessary by the World Health Authority, subject to its appropriate guidlines, unless a health hazard would be posed by the receiving thereof,

3. Clarifies that said interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids will be made easily accessible in all member states, and cost shall not be a barrier to obtaining one,

4. Authorizes the usage of the World Assembly General Fund to aid in the distribution of interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids to nations unable to obtain them.

The spelling mistakes are also apparent when pasting the text here to post. It's rather a shame that the author rushed to submission and campaigning barely a day after posting the initial draft.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 am

Bananaistan wrote:The concerns raised here are not necessarily invalid but I'd need to chew on them a while longer. There's a more obvious committee rule issue IMO. If you strip out the committee, you're left with nothing. If we use the doomsday asteroid defenses test, I think it's rather clear that there is nothing left for member states to do independent of the committee. Clause 3 is nearly there but absent the committee's workings on the relevant "said vaccines", there is nothing left for member states to do.

1. Tasks the World Health Authority (WHA) with publishing reccomendations as to the appropriate scheduling, techniques, and dosages for interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids,

2. Mandates that all member states of the World Assembly require each citizens to receive any interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids deemed neccessary by the World Health Authority, subject to its appropriate guidlines, unless a health hazard would be posed by the receiving thereof,

3. Clarifies that said interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids will be made easily accessible in all member states, and cost shall not be a barrier to obtaining one,

4. Authorizes the usage of the World Assembly General Fund to aid in the distribution of interplanetary defense against doomsday asteroids to nations unable to obtain them.

The spelling mistakes are also apparent when pasting the text here to post. It's rather a shame that the author rushed to submission and campaigning barely a day after posting the initial draft.

I agree that this may have been rushed to submission, and needs more time.
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:50 am

Bananaistan wrote:The concerns raised here are not necessarily invalid but I'd need to chew on them a while longer. There's a more obvious committee rule issue IMO. If you strip out the committee, you're left with nothing. If we use the doomsday asteroid defenses test, I think it's rather clear that there is nothing left for member states to do independent of the committee. Clause 3 is nearly there but absent the committee's workings on the relevant "said vaccines", there is nothing left for member states to do.

I, upon further analysis, find this interpretation of the committee rule to be false. Let us examine the text of the rule itself, as that should be our first reference:
Committees Rule | Emphasis Mine wrote:Committees: Committees cannot be the sole purpose of the proposal. It is an addition to the proposal and designed to carry out specific duties related to the proposal.
  • A proposal cannot define: who can/cannot staff the committee, how members are chosen, and term lengths
  • Committees continue to exist after its resolution is repealed if it's used in another resolution
  • Single-use committees that died when its resolution was repealed, may be revived for a relevant new proposal

Please note that the text states that "committees cannot be the sole purpose of a resolution", which is ever so slightly different from "needs to do something without the committee." The former, correct, interpretation means that a resolution can't just make a committee and call it a day. Rather, something must be done other than the establishment of a committee. Does this resolution do this? Yes, through the committee. What does it do, other than talk about a committee:
  • mandate vaccinations
  • distribute vaccinations
  • makes them attainble without cost
As such, a literal (and correct) interpretation of the reading leads one to believe that this resolution is legal, as a committee is not the sole purpose of the proposal. The legality challenge arises from faulty precedent.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 am

Old Hope wrote:

These clauses of the proposal
are, in our opinion, in violation of Contradiction, namely General Assembly Resolution 41:
1) An appropriate part of World Health Authority’s budget shall be directed for buying and distributing, when and where necessary, high-cost life-saving medications and vaccines. Negotiations shall take place between the agencies and patent holders so as to achieve a minimum acceptable price, one that does not hamper the industries affected nor further research, nor depletes the WA economic resources or otherwise adversely impacts the multitude of activities dependant on WA funding.

2) Life-saving medications’ and vaccines patents may be temporarily waivered only in the most extraordinary of situations, like in the presence of imminent or unfolding public health catastrophes, such as lethal airborne diseases with a small period of incubation, strictly for as small a period as necessary, as determined by the WHA and only after every other venue of emergency negotiations between the WA and the patent holders have been exhausted.

because the method and the scope of authorization towards spending contradict each other.
GAR 41 restricts the usage of the budget, and the proposal does not abide by these restrictions.

GAR#41 is expressly dealing with price control from patent holders. Not from distributors. As such, there is no contradiction or even duplication that I can see.

United Massachusetts wrote:

I, upon further analysis, find this interpretation of the committee rule to be false. Let us examine the text of the rule itself, as that should be our first reference:
Committees Rule | Emphasis Mine wrote:Committees: Committees cannot be the sole purpose of the proposal. It is an addition to the proposal and designed to carry out specific duties related to the proposal.
  • A proposal cannot define: who can/cannot staff the committee, how members are chosen, and term lengths
  • Committees continue to exist after its resolution is repealed if it's used in another resolution
  • Single-use committees that died when its resolution was repealed, may be revived for a relevant new proposal

Please note that the text states that "committees cannot be the sole purpose of a resolution", which is ever so slightly different from "needs to do something without the committee." The former, correct, interpretation means that a resolution can't just make a committee and call it a day. Rather, something must be done other than the establishment of a committee. Does this resolution do this? Yes, through the committee. What does it do, other than talk about a committee:
  • mandate vaccinations
As such, a literal (and correct) interpretation of the reading leads one to believe that this resolution is legal, as a committee is not the sole purpose of the proposal. The legality challenge arises from faulty precedent.

While I agree with the idea that the current rule for Committee Only violations is flawed, I think that the current precedent does actually kill this off as Committee-Only. Bad precedent, but precedent nonetheless. Banana's example shows how this is just a hair over the line of acceptable.

That said, I really hope the rest of GenSec sees that this is silly. Clause 2 and 3 only tangentially mention the actions of the committee. There's still an active mandate beyond mere cooperation with which members are tasked. Can we please have a rational assessment of this rule?

EDIT: I've marked this illegal to hold it while we hash this out. If the rest of GenSec agrees with me, I'll switch my vote.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Old Hope wrote:These clauses of the proposal

GAR#41 is expressly dealing with price control from patent holders. Not from distributors. As such, there is no contradiction or even duplication that I can see.

United Massachusetts wrote:I, upon further analysis, find this interpretation of the committee rule to be false. Let us examine the text of the rule itself, as that should be our first reference:

• mandate vaccinations

While I agree with the idea that the current rule for Committee Only violations is flawed, I think that the current precedent does actually kill this off as Committee-Only. Bad precedent, but precedent nonetheless. Banana's example shows how this is just a hair over the line of acceptable.

That said, I really hope the rest of GenSec sees that this is silly. Clause 2 and 3 only tangentially mention the actions of the committee. There's still an active mandate beyond mere cooperation with which members are tasked. Can we please have a rational assessment of this rule?

Is there a chance that this changes the precedent

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 am

I will not dispute the typos, or the rushed timeline, however, I will play Advocatus Diaboli on the committee rule issue (I name myself devil's advocate because I have other issues with the proposal, hope for its failure, and see merit in the committee challenge under the current situation).

Consider the following wording from the decision In Re: Ban on Secret Treaties from the majority opinion of Sierra Lyricalia:

Majority Opinion of Sierra Lyricalia, emphasis added wrote:As drafted there are three operative clauses and one definition clause. All three operative clauses refer to the WA Compliance Commission in some way; this isn't a prima facie violation, though, and we need to see if there is any effect on nations other than that provided by the committee. Even a mild effect such as an encouragement or request would suffice. However, we find no such effect.

We draw attention to the bolded text. Any effect is a very broad possibility, which seems contemplated by the ruling. Continuing, "Ban on Secret Treaties" was described with the following language

Idem, emphasis added wrote:Per the proposal, any nation wishing to invoke an international treaty must first have given the entire text of that treaty to the committee. Any treaty or treaty provision not so registered is declared null and void, and invocation forbidden.

Nations are therefore required to take exactly one positive action: register the full text of any international agreement with the committee. It is the committee which does the publishing, and therefore the committee which bears all operative effects on member states. Nations are not required or encouraged to publish the text themselves; so absent the committee, there is no effect on national governments and thus, practically, no resolution.

The issue with the prior proposal is that the operative clause required nations to do furnish the committee with information, and the committee was the entity that actually went doing the furthering of democracy, with the states off the hook for any actual work.

Contrast the current draft which requires

Proposal Text, emphasis added, errors in original wrote: Mandates that all member states of the World Assembly require each citizens(sic) to receive...

The text here directly requires every member state to bring domestic law into compliance. Every State, on the terms of this resolution, is required to compel every one of its citizens to receive vaccines. By necessity this implies that the state will need to create some sort of enforcement mechanism, penalties for violation, and other such items within their domestic law. That is more than sufficient to justify a stat change, even if in my opinion it should be to lower civil rights.

Idem wrote:Clarifies that said vaccines will be made easily accessible in all member states

This is bad drafting, we agree. Someone has to do something here, and an explicit who would be helpful, but failing that, we should fall back to the principle that the WA acts on states, and therefore we should presume its mandates of action to apply to states. If we do so, this is a call for States to enact domestic policies to make vaccination accessible easily throughout their territory. Exactly how is left to State discretion, but it does at least give some mandate.

From a larger perspective, it is certainly true that this proposal absolutely requires the WHA to function as it is currently drafted. However, to be effective, it is somewhat obvious to me why the author would want to take the choice of what constitutes a necessary vaccination out of the purview of a state, lest shenanigans ensue to undermine the proposal. Consigning technical questions to committees or an agency for an answer, and then directing someone or something to act on that answer is a basic technique of statecraft in the modern setting. The rules ought be interpreted in a way to allow it, within the confines of the game mechanics.

Finally, I'd note that Sierra Lyricalia wrote the prior majority opinion, and, as of the time of my writing, deems this proposal legal. I'd be interested to know how s/he would interpret his/her prior opinion in regards to this, if s/he does not change their vote, and look forward to whatever reasoning there is on the subject.

Regardless, for the foregoing reason, I submit this proposal is legal in regards to the committee only rule, though I sincerely hope that it is illegal on other grounds so that it may be better drafted.

And, out of advocate role: I hope no-one minds me arguing in favor of legality, even though I don't entirely buy my own argument. And apologies to the drafter and United Massachusetts (though reviewing the thread, really, we should just call you the drafter) for not being a more, committed, advocate.

Edit: Damn English quotation marks get me every time.
Last edited by Desmosthenes and Burke on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 am

Thank you. I'll admit this needs more time, but it's legal in its current form. I wasn't told when it was submitted. Presuming this fails, which it probably will, we'll go back to drafting

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:40 am

Oh, I think that it is probably Comittee only, I just missed that illegality.
Remember: The Comittee rule is imposed because the effect of a resolution should not be entirely dependant on a comittee
Committees cannot be the sole purpose of the proposal. It is an addition to the proposal and designed to carry out specific duties related to the proposal.

It is very easy to see that this is the case.
2. Mandates that all member states of the World Assembly require each citizens to receive any vaccinations deemed neccessary by the World Health Authority, subject to its appropriate guidlines, unless a health hazard would be posed by the receiving thereof,

Case 1: The World Health Authority does not deem any vaccinations to be neccessary.
Result: No member state is required to do anything:

Boldness added
There are no vaccines... No effect.-> Dependant on Committee
1. Tasks the World Health Authority (WHA) with publishing reccomendations as to the appropriate scheduling, techniques, and dosages for vaccinations,

Tasks the WHA... Comittee only

The World Assembly General Fund is a comittee...
None of the clauses has an effect that is not dependant on what the WHA or the WAGF comittees do. Or, to go back to the text of Committee rule:
It is an addition to the proposal and designed to carry out specific duties related to the proposal.

which is clearly not correct here: It is not an addition designed to carry out specific duties, it defines the whole effect of the proposal.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 am

I've given my very reasons for my argument. No one's arguing that if your interpretation holds, it's illegal. We're arguing about whether that's a proper interpretation of the committees rule

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am

Aaand...illegal.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 am

United Massachusetts wrote:Aaand...illegal.

Held so a decision can be rendered. That's not a final decision.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:While I agree with the idea that the current rule for Committee Only violations is flawed, I think that the current precedent does actually kill this off as Committee-Only. Bad precedent, but precedent nonetheless.

I think this is correct. The distasteful understanding of the committee rule that seems to be the reigning orthodoxy would apply. Naturally, I too would echo calls for reconsideration of this section of the ruleset (even as I have personal reasons for desiring procedural delays to this proposal).

United Massachusetts wrote:I agree that this may have been rushed to submission, and needs more time.

If that's the case, then why did you address the telegram? It seems that you specifically campaigned for the resolution.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:While I agree with the idea that the current rule for Committee Only violations is flawed, I think that the current precedent does actually kill this off as Committee-Only. Bad precedent, but precedent nonetheless. Banana's example shows how this is just a hair over the line of acceptable.

I agree that the precedentary interpretation of that rule is flawed. That’s why we have a discussion thread on the matter. Can we get a consensus there?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:00 am

Bears Armed wrote:Can we get a consensus there?

We don't have consensus to correct an actual typo in the ruleset.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Wrapper
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wrapper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:07 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Can we get a consensus there?

We don't have consensus to correct an actual typo in the ruleset.

What typo?

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:08 am

Wrapper wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:We don't have consensus to correct an actual typo in the ruleset.

What typo?

Last edited by Wrapper on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 43 times in total.

Hey, I saw you do that. That's cheating.
Last edited by Auralia on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Wrapper
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wrapper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:09 am

Auralia wrote:
Wrapper wrote:What typo?

Hey, I saw you do that. That's cheating.

8)

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:16 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
I will not dispute the typos, or the rushed timeline, however, I will play Advocatus Diaboli on the committee rule issue (I name myself devil's advocate because I have other issues with the proposal, hope for its failure, and see merit in the committee challenge under the current situation).

Consider the following wording from the decision In Re: Ban on Secret Treaties from the majority opinion of Sierra Lyricalia:

Majority Opinion of Sierra Lyricalia, emphasis added"p="32572359 wrote:As drafted there are three operative clauses and one definition clause. All three operative clauses refer to the WA Compliance Commission in some way; this isn't a prima facie violation, though, and we need to see if there is any effect on nations other than that provided by the committee. Even a mild effect such as an encouragement or request would suffice. However, we find no such effect.

We draw attention to the bolded text. Any effect is a very broad possibility, which seems contemplated by the ruling. Continuing, "Ban on Secret Treaties" was described with the following language

Idem, emphasis added wrote:Per the proposal, any nation wishing to invoke an international treaty must first have given the entire text of that treaty to the committee. Any treaty or treaty provision not so registered is declared null and void, and invocation forbidden.

Nations are therefore required to take exactly one positive action: register the full text of any international agreement with the committee. It is the committee which does the publishing, and therefore the committee which bears all operative effects on member states. Nations are not required or encouraged to publish the text themselves; so absent the committee, there is no effect on national governments and thus, practically, no resolution.

The issue with the prior proposal is that the operative clause required nations to do furnish the committee with information, and the committee was the entity that actually went doing the furthering of democracy, with the states off the hook for any actual work.

Contrast the current draft which requires

Proposal Text, emphasis added, errors in original wrote: Mandates that all member states of the World Assembly require each citizens(sic) to receive...

The text here directly requires every member state to bring domestic law into compliance. Every State, on the terms of this resolution, is required to compel every one of its citizens to receive vaccines. By necessity this implies that the state will need to create some sort of enforcement mechanism, penalties for violation, and other such items within their domestic law. That is more than sufficient to justify a stat change, even if in my opinion it should be to lower civil rights.

Idem wrote:Clarifies that said vaccines will be made easily accessible in all member states

This is bad drafting, we agree. Someone has to do something here, and an explicit who would be helpful, but failing that, we should fall back to the principle that the WA acts on states, and therefore we should presume its mandates of action to apply to states. If we do so, this is a call for States to enact domestic policies to make vaccination accessible easily throughout their territory. Exactly how is left to State discretion, but it does at least give some mandate.

From a larger perspective, it is certainly true that this proposal absolutely requires the WHA to function as it is currently drafted. However, to be effective, it is somewhat obvious to me why the author would want to take the choice of what constitutes a necessary vaccination out of the purview of a state, lest shenanigans ensue to undermine the proposal. Consigning technical questions to committees or an agency for an answer, and then directing someone or something to act on that answer is a basic technique of statecraft in the modern setting. The rules ought be interpreted in a way to allow it, within the confines of the game mechanics.

Finally, I'd note that Sierra Lyricalia wrote the prior majority opinion, and, as of the time of my writing, deems this proposal legal. I'd be interested to know how s/he would interpret his/her prior opinion in regards to this, if s/he does not change their vote, and look forward to whatever reasoning there is on the subject.

Regardless, for the foregoing reason, I submit this proposal is legal in regards to the committee only rule, though I sincerely hope that it is illegal on other grounds so that it may be better drafted.

And, out of advocate role: I hope no-one minds me arguing in favor of legality, even though I don't entirely buy my own argument. And apologies to the drafter and United Massachusetts (though reviewing the thread, really, we should just call you the drafter) for not being a more, committed, advocate.

Yeah, I'd say this is all correct. The mandate placed on member states to interact with their citizens saves this even under the current interpretation of the committee rule. In the original version of No Secret Treaties, there was not even that much interaction: literally the only thing a state had to do was send an email. I'll note in passing that I wouldn't oppose reforming the current interpretation of the committee rule if the broader community sees fit.

I would agree that there's no originality violation w/r/t GAR #41.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22 am

Wrapper wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:We don't have consensus to correct an actual typo in the ruleset.

What typo?

Well, at least that's fixed. :P
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:30 am

Changing that precedent in that way is not a good idea.
A better idea would be banning comittees that are allowed to make their own decision on what member states may do.
They are an extremely cheap way out of writing quality resolutions.
If the current ruling falls, expect proposals full of comittees micromanaging member nations that give those comittees some general principles they should be based on and then let the comittee work out the rest. Something that could even be partially done right now.

Edit: And what is even worse: These comittees have basically an unknown effect. You cannot effectively roleplay their decisions because you don't make these decisions. They do something and even someone who fully reads and understands the resolution does NOT know what the comittee will, in a roleplay sense, really do to their country. If you have law text, then it is either clear or reasonably interpretable by the recipient.
Last edited by Old Hope on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am

Old Hope wrote:They are an extremely cheap way out of writing quality resolutions.

The pot, the kettle, the snake, the crab, sawdust, a plank.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:41 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Old Hope wrote:They are an extremely cheap way out of writing quality resolutions.

The pot, the kettle, the snake, the crab, sawdust, a plank.

Comittee rule gets repealed.
Human Rights Omnibus Bill

Wanting to promote Human Rights
The World Assembly
Establishes the Human Rights Comittee
Directs The Human Rights Comittee to enact laws in each member state to ensure that human rights are being protected
Forces Member states to abide by those laws.

Fun, no?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Old Hope wrote:Changing that precedent in that way is not a good idea.
A better idea would be banning comittees that are allowed to make their own decision on what member states may do.
They are an extremely cheap way out of writing quality resolutions.
If the current ruling falls, expect proposals full of comittees micromanaging member nations that give those comittees some general principles they should be based on and then let the comittee work out the rest. Something that could even be partially done right now.

Edit: And what is even worse: These comittees have basically an unknown effect. You cannot effectively roleplay their decisions because you don't make these decisions. They do something and even someone who fully reads and understands the resolution does NOT know what the comittee will, in a roleplay sense, really do to their country. If you have law text, then it is either clear or reasonably interpretable by the recipient.

I don't think you actually understand how committees or agencies work at all.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly