NATION

PASSWORD

Why the obsession with religiously-derived laws?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:
Although marriages are, in their most basic form, promises through and through, it is probably more accurate to call marriage a contract; which has legal ramifications for obvious reasons.

Hence, divorce, which frequently occurs when a partner is unfaithful.

no not really

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yourtango ... 86312.html
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 pm

Some people think secular laws need to follow divine ones. That's, IMO, why we see some people demanding to have religiously driven laws. I think the secular and the religious need to stay completely separate from each other. History has shown us that when state and church combine, bad shit happens. However, in the interest of providing equal protections to all citizens, regardless of creed, I can see why some laws are tailored made for those who believe in X or Y form.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:09 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Yes. Because unless a man in the sky hands you a book, how would you know right from wrong, Vass? :roll:

Look, if you're going to attack Christian beliefs, you should at least describe them correctly.

It would be nice.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Vassenor wrote:Even leaving aside the whole cherry-picking aspect (like why only the bits of Leviticus that talk about homosexuality are valid but the rest isn't), this strikes me as kind of bad logic.

Lol, what? Leviticus 20:13 directly states:

If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

That's pretty clear on Homosexuality. But, you might say, that's the Old Testament! Here's 1 Corinthians 6:9:

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts

For starters, at least in the US the Constitution is very explicit that you can't actually do that ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", which despite what everyone seems to think doesn't only mean that they can't stop you starting a religion).

Specifically Congress in terms of establishing a religion, but the Founders were pretty okay with just about everything else; Washington used the Inaugural Bible in 1789 just fine, and the various States had established religions for decades after the Constitution was written.

So here's my open questions to the floor: Why are people so adamant about forcing biblical law into a system where it's not actually permitted, and what makes biblical law OK but Shariah and others the work of true evil?

For the first question, does the Constitution not contain the ability to add new Amendments? Such is the ultimate purpose of those seeking to restore religion into shaping public policy here in the States. As to the second question, why would a Christian want to enact Muslim law, or vice versa? Why would a Communist wish to implement Fascist social policy? The answer to this question is rather obvious.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Even leaving aside the whole cherry-picking aspect (like why only the bits of Leviticus that talk about homosexuality are valid but the rest isn't), this strikes me as kind of bad logic.

If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

That's pretty clear on Homosexuality. But, you might say, that's the Old Testament! Here's 1 Corinthians 6:9:

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts

For starters, at least in the US the Constitution is very explicit that you can't actually do that ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", which despite what everyone seems to think doesn't only mean that they can't stop you starting a religion).

Specifically Congress in terms of establishing a religion, but the Founders were pretty okay with just about everything else; Washington used the Inaugural Bible in 1789 just fine, and the various States had established religions for decades after the Constitution was written.

So here's my open questions to the floor: Why are people so adamant about forcing biblical law into a system where it's not actually permitted, and what makes biblical law OK but Shariah and others the work of true evil?

For the first question, does the Constitution not contain the ability to add new Amendments? Such is the ultimate purpose of those seeking to restore religion into shaping public policy here in the States. As to the second question, why would a Christian want to enact Muslim law, or vice versa? Why would a Communist wish to implement Fascist social policy? The answer to this question is rather obvious.

Don't start saying the Bible says this or that. It's very metaphorical and crap like that. That's why there's so many versions of it. Some churches support gays but few and far between. Really as I said before people cite the Bible to support their morality (what they consider to be right). Take the "because the Bible says so" with a grain of salt. Other than that I agree with all you said pretty much.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Victores wrote:Because most people think that their religion is more important than the laws of the State, but they don't want to break laws. Therefore they want these two sets of laws to be the same. My religion doesn't really have a legal code though, so I wouldn't know

So, given that your religious faith lacks an inherent code of conduct, what is your outlook on the politics of the rule of lae, and it's place in our society?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Don't start saying the Bible says this or that. It's very metaphorical and crap like that. That's why there's so many versions of it.

That the Bible condemns Homosexuality is beyond a doubt, and to claim otherwise is baseless.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Don't start saying the Bible says this or that. It's very metaphorical and crap like that. That's why there's so many versions of it.

That the Bible condemns Homosexuality is beyond a doubt, and to claim otherwise is baseless.

Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. - Matthew 10:34

Something like this is suggesting the Bible supports aggressive action. Yet many christians believe god comes in peace. As I said there is much metaphorical stuff within the Bible, something's are to be taken with a different outlook then the literal one. It continues on into supporting the murder of some dudes father or something like that. I don't remember much.

Also here's a quote from the Bible supporting dividing families due to difference in belief!
I have come to cast fire upon the Earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law. (Luke 12:49–53)

As I said if this was taken literally then we would have radical Christianity.
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. - Matthew 10:34
Something like this is suggesting the Bible supports aggressive action. Yet many christians believe god comes in peace. As I said there is much metaphorical stuff within the Bible, something's are to be taken with a different outlook then the literal one. It continues on into supporting the murder of some dudes father or something like that. I don't remember much.

Also here's a quote from the Bible supporting dividing families due to difference in belief!

I have come to cast fire upon the Earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law. (Luke 12:49–53)

The entire point of both verses is that people must stick to the Faith, and that this will inevitably result in broke families, simple enough. As is the verses I cited, as there is literally no other way to interpret them.

We have had that, at many points. You might want to look up the Donatists of North Africa, for example, or the Masculine Christianity movement of the 19th Century.
Last edited by Oil exporting People on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Syndicalist

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. - Matthew 10:34

The entire point of both verses is that people must stick to the Faith, and that this will inevitably result in broke families, simple enough. As is the verses I cited, as there is literally no other way to interpret them.

We have had that, at many points. You might want to look up the Donatists of North Africa, for example, or the Masculine Christianity movement of the 19th Century.

My point is people interpret the Bible differently and just because you can't interpret it in that way doesn't mean that does not exist. There are American churches that support gays, and whether or not it's the right way or the true way, they interpret the Bible in that way. That's why there is a schism in Christianity, because there are many ways to interpret it as.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Is adultery illegal in the US? Because if it is, that's really weird. I didn't think many civilized nations actually had laws against it.

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The of Japan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Albrenia wrote:Is adultery illegal in the US? Because if it is, that's really weird. I didn't think many civilized nations actually had laws against it.

No
Texan Communist and Internationalist

ThePeacekeepers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby ThePeacekeepers » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:

Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. - Matthew 10:34

Hebrews 4:12
Ephesians 6:17
The sword matt is talking about is clarified as being the word of God. And the verses after that are saying that your family members will be at odds with you and hate you for the Lords word. The same goes for you passage in Luke since many of your family members will hate you for the Lord's sake. Just wanted to point that out to you.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Bakery Hill wrote:All laws are religiously derived. It's impossible to draw the line in any real sense. It's just the rhetoric that changes.

If one considers Gilgamesh as a god instead of a Mesopotamian king.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:50 pm

ThePeacekeepers wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:

Hebrews 4:12
The sword matt is talking about is clarified as being the word of God. And the verses after that are saying that your family members will be at odds with you and hate you for the Lords word. The same goes for you passage in Luke since many of your family members will hate you for the Lord's sake. Just wanted to point that out to you.

Let's not forget Deuteronomy 22:11 and Leviticus 19:19 which state it is immoral to make clothes made of more than one fabric.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:57 pm

Kenmoria wrote:
ThePeacekeepers wrote:Hebrews 4:12

Let's not forget Deuteronomy 22:11 and Leviticus 19:19 which state it is immoral to make clothes made of more than one fabric.

It'd be hilarious if that led to all politicians being forced to wear sacks of burlap because wool blend suits are forbidden.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:24 am

I wouldn't trust a two thousand-year old history book to yield the fairest of laws.

To me, the Bible is little more than a collection of ancient thoughts and practices, a history book...not a bloody legal code.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:32 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:

It'd be hilarious if that led to all politicians being forced to wear sacks of burlap because wool blend suits are forbidden.

Or, you know, polyester.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Hence, divorce, which frequently occurs when a partner is unfaithful.

no not really

Shockingly huffpo is wrong.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 am

Austrasien wrote:

Shockingly huffpo is wrong.

Heh, it would not be surprising that huff is wrong, but the sample size in that study is tiny, When n=10,000, I will believe it.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 am

It's all really simple when you think about it.
Imagine you have a book that you believe in utterly. That book tells you that there is an all knowing all powerful being that is always looking down on you judging you. The being has given you a set of rules to follow and the moment you slip up it'll condemn you to an eternity of torture in hell.

And than you live in a society whose rules are pretty much opposite from gods.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:36 am

That's pretty clear on Homosexuality. But, you might say, that's the Old Testament!

So if you're saying Leviticus is valid, when are you going to start petitioning the government to outlaw pork products in accordance with Leviticus 11:7?

And this is before we get to how blatantly the American conservative Christian groups tend to disregard 19:33-34.

This is what I mean by cherry-picking. Taking bits out of the book that support one's own prejudices and disregarding the rest. Surely religious law is an all-or-nothing proposition?
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 am

Vassenor wrote:

That's pretty clear on Homosexuality. But, you might say, that's the Old Testament!

So if you're saying Leviticus is valid, when are you going to start petitioning the government to outlaw pork products in accordance with Leviticus 11:7?

And this is before we get to how blatantly the American conservative Christian groups tend to disregard 19:33-34.

This is what I mean by cherry-picking. Taking bits out of the book that support one's own prejudices and disregarding the rest. Surely religious law is an all-or-nothing proposition?

Not really, the Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox interpret the Bible differently if it was all or nothing, then they're more likely to agree to the basic ideals to Christianity, and not oppose one another.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Vassenor wrote:So in today's round of shower thoughts, something hit me that I figured I might as well try and get everyone's views on.

What is with the current obsession with demanding laws be written to fit within religious edict? Since it just seems like every time the topic of abortion or LGBT rights comes up it's met with a flurry of "it needs to be banned because the bible says so".

Even leaving aside the whole cherry-picking aspect (like why only the bits of Leviticus that talk about homosexuality are valid but the rest isn't), this strikes me as kind of bad logic.

There's also the element of hypocrisy involved, given that a lot of the people pushing that angle will also turn around and talk about the evils of religious law, at least when it comes from other religions.

Because it's evil when brown people do it, but great when white Christians do -- even though Christ was not white and was in fact(whispers) (((Christ))).
please don't hit me....
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Hence, divorce, which frequently occurs when a partner is unfaithful.

no not really

...an opinion piece from HuffPo is being used a source, despite not really even mentioning it, for your claim that when people are unfaithful to their partners, divorce does not frequently occur.

:thinking:

Alrighty
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General