NATION

PASSWORD

Are YOUR eye contact habits racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Avoiding eye contact with black people is racist, but it's mild enough that we don't need to make a big stink about it every time someone does it.

You know what we do need to do? Wrap our heads around the idea that there is such a thing as mild racism. In other words, learn how to talk about things being racist without the implication that every racist thing is a national emergency. Understand that people can have a couple of racist habits or mild biases without being bad people overall. Nobody's perfect, after all.

A lot of people -- sometimes including me -- do have racist eye-contact habits, and we should be able to talk about that and point it out as racist without having a big fucking controversy. It's just a product of living in a society that has unresolved race issues, even for people that aren't white supremacists. It doesn't always mean the person is hateful. Sometimes they're a good person who just feels uncomfortable with the whole race thing, but they have no problem with people of other races if you can get past that awkwardness. Most of the time, I don't think people are even doing it on purpose. I'm dating a black guy and don't have any particular ill-will toward black people, but I still catch myself doing the awkward avoid-eye-contact thing once in a while. Like I said, it's a product of living in a divided society and it's not necessarily intentional.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
Jello Biafra
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6402
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Bressen wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:"Social exclusion is the process in which individuals or people are systematically blocked from (or denied full access to) various rights, opportunities and resources that are normally available to members of a different group, and which are fundamental to social integration and observance of human rights within that particular group (e.g., housing, employment, healthcare, civic engagement, democratic participation, and due process)."

A marginalized group would be a group that suffers from social exclusion.

so can you explain to me how non-white people can be marginalised on the basis of their race but white people can't, since social exclusion is not associated to race by this definition.

Race is not specifically mentioned in this definition, but it falls under the broad headings of "people" and "a different group".
Can you give examples of white people not having access to housing, employment, healthcare, civic engagement, democratic participation, and due process in ways that other groups have those things normally available to them?

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24520
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Ok, no. That's just people reading way too much into stupid stuff


http://news.ucsc.edu/2016/10/byrd-microaggressions.html

Saying you didn't expect someone to be gay? C'mon, this shits just overboard
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Soyouso
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1526
Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyouso » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Soyouso wrote:...Not looking people in the eye causes harm now?
Can you elaborate on what you mean?


Of course I'm not referring to any kind of physical harm, but I believe, consistent with psychological research, that micro-aggressions are psychologically harmful.

There is a difference between looking down at your work while not looking at someone, and deliberately acting like a royal who wants people to avert their eyes.
How is not looking at someone enough to cause psychological harm? I know you don't mean trauma level of harm.

User avatar
36 Camera Perspective
Minister
 
Posts: 2887
Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Avoiding eye contact with black people is racist, but it's mild enough that we don't need to make a big stink about it every time someone does it.

You know what we do need to do? Wrap our heads around the idea that there is such a thing as mild racism. In other words, learn how to talk about things being racist without the implication that every racist thing is a national emergency. Understand that people can have a couple of racist habits or mild biases without being bad people overall. Nobody's perfect, after all.

A lot of people -- sometimes including me -- do have racist eye-contact habits, and we should be able to talk about that and point it out as racist without having a big fucking controversy. It's just a product of living in a society that has unresolved race issues, even for people that aren't white supremacists. It doesn't always mean the person is hateful. Sometimes they're a good person who just feels uncomfortable with the whole race thing, but they have no problem with people of other races if you can get past that awkwardness. Most of the time, I don't think people are even doing it on purpose. I'm dating a black guy and don't have any particular ill-will toward black people, but I still catch myself doing the awkward avoid-eye-contact thing once in a while. Like I said, it's a product of living in a divided society and it's not necessarily intentional.


Thank you.

We just need to have conversations and bring awareness to our unconscious habits so that we're less of dicks to each other. There's no reason to shame, no reason to get all riled up, no reason to hit the bottle like Gallo and Balk.
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

User avatar
Rodez
Diplomat
 
Posts: 825
Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Galloism wrote:
Rodez wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I've mastered a particularly racist gaze and use it to stare down people of color all the time.

But do they think you hate them or you're constipated?

A fair concern. Obviously you can't put it on all the time or they do get the latter impression. Eye twitches generally assist with the intimidation factor.
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

User avatar
Bressen
Diplomat
 
Posts: 712
Founded: Feb 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bressen » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Bressen wrote:so can you explain to me how non-white people can be marginalised on the basis of their race but white people can't, since social exclusion is not associated to race by this definition.

Race is not specifically mentioned in this definition, but it falls under the broad headings of "people" and "a different group".
Can you give examples of white people not having access to housing, employment, healthcare, civic engagement, democratic participation, and due process in ways that other groups have those things normally available to them?

can you give me current systematic examples of non-white people not having access to these things?
17 year old British college student.
Studying Law, Philosophy, Ethics and Psychology.
Libertarian minarchist.
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others."
- J.S Mill

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
- Voltaire

"My whole religion is this: do every duty, and expect no reward for it, either here or hereafter."
- Bertrand Russell

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
- Mark Twain

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
- Ayn Rand

User avatar
36 Camera Perspective
Minister
 
Posts: 2887
Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:

Saying you didn't expect someone to be gay? C'mon, this shits just overboard


It's annoying and stereotypical, especially when repeated over multiple instances. And as you saw in the summary, the harmful effects are real.
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:52 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:That's illegal, I believe.


The law is just a piece of paper; practice is a different matter.

And how do you plan to fix that?
Attitudes are changing. Give it time.

I'll allow people the freedom to point there eyes where they like to.
Or to say what they want to (not going overboard, ofc).
Or the freedom to have their preferences,
And so forth..
Last edited by Tekeristan on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24520
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:52 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Avoiding eye contact with black people is racist, but it's mild enough that we don't need to make a big stink about it every time someone does it.

You know what we do need to do? Wrap our heads around the idea that there is such a thing as mild racism. In other words, learn how to talk about things being racist without the implication that every racist thing is a national emergency. Understand that people can have a couple of racist habits or mild biases without being bad people overall. Nobody's perfect, after all.

A lot of people -- sometimes including me -- do have racist eye-contact habits, and we should be able to talk about that and point it out as racist without having a big fucking controversy. It's just a product of living in a society that has unresolved race issues, even for people that aren't white supremacists. It doesn't always mean the person is hateful. Sometimes they're a good person who just feels uncomfortable with the whole race thing, but they have no problem with people of other races if you can get past that awkwardness. Most of the time, I don't think people are even doing it on purpose. I'm dating a black guy and don't have any particular ill-will toward black people, but I still catch myself doing the awkward avoid-eye-contact thing once in a while. Like I said, it's a product of living in a divided society and it's not necessarily intentional.

Thank you. I will admit I do occasionally offensive things, but it's not like I'm trying to destroy them or anything
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Telconi
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34903
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Avoiding eye contact with black people is racist, but it's mild enough that we don't need to make a big stink about it every time someone does it.

You know what we do need to do? Wrap our heads around the idea that there is such a thing as mild racism. In other words, learn how to talk about things being racist without the implication that every racist thing is a national emergency. Understand that people can have a couple of racist habits or mild biases without being bad people overall. Nobody's perfect, after all.

A lot of people -- sometimes including me -- do have racist eye-contact habits, and we should be able to talk about that and point it out as racist without having a big fucking controversy. It's just a product of living in a society that has unresolved race issues, even for people that aren't white supremacists. It doesn't always mean the person is hateful. Sometimes they're a good person who just feels uncomfortable with the whole race thing, but they have no problem with people of other races if you can get past that awkwardness. Most of the time, I don't think people are even doing it on purpose. I'm dating a black guy and don't have any particular ill-will toward black people, but I still catch myself doing the awkward avoid-eye-contact thing once in a while. Like I said, it's a product of living in a divided society and it's not necessarily intentional.


What a reasonable vessel of war.


Also, no, my eye contact habits aren't racist. Mostly overcompensated autism.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24520
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Saying you didn't expect someone to be gay? C'mon, this shits just overboard


It's annoying and stereotypical, especially when repeated over multiple instances. And as you saw in the summary, the harmful effects are real.

Uh huh. As a kid I got beat up for being gay. Somebody stating they didn't expect me to be gay is literally nothing
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Bressen
Diplomat
 
Posts: 712
Founded: Feb 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bressen » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:54 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Avoiding eye contact with black people is racist.

only if you're avoiding eye contact on the basis that they're black, which has to be a conscious decision in order for it to be recognised. microaggressions are inherently unconscious processes, so if you were to avoid eye contact with someone with X skin colour on the basis that they have X skin colour, you're making a conscious decision and it is thus not a microaggression.

people that talk about microaggressions are effectively claiming to have knowledge or insight into someone's unconscious processes on the basis of that person's conscious decisions. i don't know how this is objective when it's so open to personal interpretation.
Last edited by Bressen on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 year old British college student.
Studying Law, Philosophy, Ethics and Psychology.
Libertarian minarchist.
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others."
- J.S Mill

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
- Voltaire

"My whole religion is this: do every duty, and expect no reward for it, either here or hereafter."
- Bertrand Russell

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
- Mark Twain

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
- Ayn Rand

User avatar
36 Camera Perspective
Minister
 
Posts: 2887
Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
36 Camera Perspective wrote:
It's annoying and stereotypical, especially when repeated over multiple instances. And as you saw in the summary, the harmful effects are real.

Uh huh. As a kid I got beat up for being gay. Somebody stating they didn't expect me to be gay is literally nothing


For you maybe.
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24520
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Uh huh. As a kid I got beat up for being gay. Somebody stating they didn't expect me to be gay is literally nothing


For you maybe.

For most people I imagine, since that's like, one of the most calm reactions I've ever heard in my life
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22831
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Free Tristania wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:Source?


"A microaggression is the casual degradation of any marginalized group."


Not that difficult, in'nit ?


Just last year, we've had gene drives, which is probably the single most important medical discovery since antibiotics, no fewer than three serious proposals for Mars missions, metallic hydrogen, potentially the best conventional (meaning non-nuclear, non-antimatter) fuel possible, technology to extract clean water from air, serious steps towards reversing paralysis, major advances in quantum computing, and hot solar panels. If you think we aren't making massive discoveries, you aren't paying attention.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
36 Camera Perspective
Minister
 
Posts: 2887
Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
36 Camera Perspective wrote:
For you maybe.

For most people I imagine, since that's like, one of the most calm reactions I've ever heard in my life


All I can say is that the study seems to indicate otherwise.
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 74649
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Galloism » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:58 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Ok, no. That's just people reading way too much into stupid stuff


http://news.ucsc.edu/2016/10/byrd-microaggressions.html

This seems to suffer the chicken or the egg problem.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
36 Camera Perspective wrote:
For you maybe.

For most people I imagine, since that's like, one of the most calm reactions I've ever heard in my life

Isn't it a numbers thing too?
Most people aren't gay. Odds are the person you meet isn't.
Nonetheless, I fail to see how when you meet people and they don't give the thought that your gay is something over all harmful? It's not exactly something everyone advertises.
And it's something to get sad/depressed/ or angry about? :eyebrow:

User avatar
36 Camera Perspective
Minister
 
Posts: 2887
Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby 36 Camera Perspective » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Galloism wrote:

This seems to suffer the chicken or the egg problem.


Not when you have people of color telling you which came first.
Power, power, the law of the land
Those living for death
Will die by their own hand

User avatar
Neutraligon
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 42642
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Free Tristania wrote:
Not that difficult, in'nit ?


Just last year, we've had gene drives, which is probably the single most important medical discovery since antibiotics, no fewer than three serious proposals for Mars missions, metallic hydrogen, potentially the best conventional (meaning non-nuclear, non-antimatter) fuel possible, technology to extract clean water from air, serious steps towards reversing paralysis, major advances in quantum computing, and hot solar panels. If you think we aren't making massive discoveries, you aren't paying attention.

Don't forget that most stuff in robotics is relatively recent, and the controls fields are definitely advancing (looking at you mars rover).
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24520
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 pm

36 Camera Perspective wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:For most people I imagine, since that's like, one of the most calm reactions I've ever heard in my life


All I can say is that the study seems to indicate otherwise.

My point remains this is absurd, and I'm going to focus on actual issues
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24520
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:For most people I imagine, since that's like, one of the most calm reactions I've ever heard in my life

Isn't it a numbers thing too?
Most people aren't gay. Odds are the person you meet isn't.
Nonetheless, I fail to see how when you meet people and they don't give the thought that your gay is something over all harmful? It's not exactly something everyone advertises.
And it's something to get sad/depressed/ or angry about? :eyebrow:

It's a statement.
Like, "oh, you're gay, I wasn't expecting that"
No insult, nothing
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:Isn't it a numbers thing too?
Most people aren't gay. Odds are the person you meet isn't.
Nonetheless, I fail to see how when you meet people and they don't give the thought that your gay is something over all harmful? It's not exactly something everyone advertises.
And it's something to get sad/depressed/ or angry about? :eyebrow:

It's a statement.
Like, "oh, you're gay, I wasn't expecting that"
No insult, nothing

If that insults, angers, or depresses someone, they may be a little sensitive..
Which is probably why a lot of people don't really take this seriously. We can't be padded and braced our whole lives.

User avatar
Jello Biafra
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6402
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Bressen wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:Race is not specifically mentioned in this definition, but it falls under the broad headings of "people" and "a different group".
Can you give examples of white people not having access to housing, employment, healthcare, civic engagement, democratic participation, and due process in ways that other groups have those things normally available to them?

can you give me current systematic examples of non-white people not having access to these things?

A not exhaustive sample:

U.S. News
Nothing illustrates the difference between justice for the races than the war on drugs. Whites and blacks use drugs at roughly the same rate – there isn’t a statistically significant difference, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Black people, however, are arrested for drug use at a much higher rate. At the disparities’ peak in the late 1980s and early 1990s, blacks were five times more likely to be arrested for drugs than whites were.


It would appear that black people do not have the access to due process that white people do.

Washington Post
The panel seemed to say it found the equivalent of a smoking gun. “Before enacting that law, the legislature requested data on the use, by race, of a number of voting practices,” Motz wrote. “Upon receipt of the race data, the General Assembly enacted legislation that restricted voting and registration in five different ways, all of which disproportionately affected African Americans.”

The panel found the law was passed with racially discriminatory intent, violating the Constitution and the Voting Rights Act. It said that “intentionally targeting a particular race’s access to the franchise because its members vote for a particular party, in a predictable manner, constitutes discriminatory purpose.”


There was a systematic attempt by the government of North Carolina to deprive black people the access to democratic participation that white people have.

Fortune
Last year, four researchers—John Nunley, economics professor at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, Adam Pugh at CUNA Mutual Group in Madison, Wisconsin, Nicholas Romero, an economics professor at the University of Pennsylvania, and Richard Seals, an economics professor at Auburn University in Alabama—conducted an experiment to understand the job market for recent college graduates in the wake of the Great Recession.

They submitted 9,400 fake resumes of nonexistent recent college graduates through online job applications for positions based in Atlanta, Baltimore, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles, Boston, and Minneapolis. They sent four resumes per job and randomly changed certain variables in the applications, such as college major, work experience, gender, and race....

The results? Young African-Americans still face persistent discrimination in the job market, and it is not tied to socioeconomic status, a lack of a degree, or other factors...

The discrimination gap existed in every city.


Employers systematically discriminate against black people,meaning they don't have the same access to employment opportunities that white people have.
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Liberty-, AtaHana, Grenartia, Northern Socialist Council Republics, Polish West Slavia, Shrillland, The Archregimancy, Vassenor, Zantalio

Advertisement

Remove ads