It has been reserved, but the person who reserved it is reluctant in writing up their application.
Advertisement

by Greater Slavic Union » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:06 pm
Kaledoria wrote:Okay, I got myself the rest of the Iberian peninsula, too. Conscription stays but can be avoided, mostly by paying a sustituto, which is Spanish for remplacement, which is French for replacement, because it actually were the French who allowed buying yourself out of military service.
I'm still not entirely happy with the flag, also the green-white-green background with an inverted diagonal stripe holding a representation of Andalusia and the 3 Kingdoms is the general idea.
But it's almost midnight here and the night ends early so that's it for now.
Full Nation Name: Imperial Andalusia
Shortened Name: Andalusia
Other Name(s): Hispania
Flag:(Image)
Other Symbol[s]: A green crescent moon with thin gold outline on white background (Used by religious fundamentalists)
Government: Imperial Monarchy: One Emperor (hereditary), three vassal Kings (hereditary, semi-autonomous), various viceroys (appointed, usually for lifetime but non-hereditary), some hereditary dukes.
Upper level administration is appointed (but only from a small caste of upper nobility), lower level administration is elected
Ideology: Enlightenment is the ultimate goal
Dominant Religion: Reformed Islam
Head of State: Emperador Juan Khajanid of Andalusia
Head of Government: Emperador Juan Khajanid of Andalusia
Other Important Officials: King Tariq ibn Nahid of the Kingdom of Atlanta (Northwestafrica, not USA); King Askiya Bassarou Missi Izé of the Kingdom of Songhai; King Pedro II Braganza of the Kingdom of Sao Paulo; Viceroy Fructuoso Rivera of Uruguay
Population: Total: 31,2 million; 22.9 million under imperial crown and 8.3 million under vassal kings.
(Hispania: 17,5 mio, Imperial West Africa: 4.4 mio (Incl. Ivory Coast and Gambia), Viceroyalty Uruguay: 1 mio, Kingdom of Atlanta: 1 mio, Kingdom of Songhai: 3.3 mio, Kingdom of Sao Paulo: 4 mio)
Capital(s): Seville
Claim: Western Ivory coast (dubious, through tribal pawn); Eastern Argentina (former colony? Conquest/Independence date: Decided by whoever plays it)
Territory Controlled: Southern Iberia, Barcelona, Mallorca, Morocco, African West Coast, Canaries, Cape Verde, Easter Ivory Coast, Gambia, Urugay and Rio Grande dol Sul.
Through vassals (semi-controlled) also Brazil up to Salvador in the north and parts of Argentina and Paraguay to the west; and approximately everything in Africa north of 14° northern latitude and west of 4° eastern longitude(Image)
imperial lands in the darker shade of green, vassals slightly lighter. Unowned claims in yellowish green.
Military Population:
Andalusia has military conscription of it's male population, service time is one year, usually at the age of 17 to 19. This service can be avoided/waived in case of: (1) Two older brothers have already served; (2) A moderate payment ("sustituto") to the state; (3) physical disabilities; (4) working in a civil service or privileged government supplier (military service must still be done if such work terminates before the age of 25) or (5) holds office at a mosque (this is rather unusual at such young age; military service must still be done if office terminates before the age of 25). About half the male population use one of those options (most often the sustituto, if the family can afford it) to avoid the service time.
Imperial: 120,000 professional soldiers, 80,000 currently serving the compulsory year.
Vassals: 75,000 professional soldiers (no conscription); Vassals provide 1/4th of their troops in attack wars and in defense of other vassals and half of their troops in defense of the Imperial borders (and obviously their full troops in defense of their own lands)
Former servicemen are registered and can - theoretically - be called to the defense of the realm until the age of 45. This duty can be waived by paying half the normal (per-conscription) sustituto. (This option is obviously not available if the realm is in a war or war is imminent).
This total reserve is about 2,4 million people but since they are not within the military chain of command and their memory of service time and willingness to return into service are often poor, this is hardly something the state can rely on.
History: In 950, the Kingdom of Asturias fell to the Umayyad caliphate. However, instead of conquering it in it's entirety, the Muslims established a Christian vassal with some restrictions: Asturias was forced to restrict its military and would not be able to marry into European nobility. The gamble worked for a while: Asturias prospered under Umayyad hegemony and with military expenditures at a low invested this money into culture and trade, benefiting the neighboring nations. At the same time, they were kind of held hostage by their Muslim neighbor.
The first Hispanic revolution happened in 1150; As the Umayyad rulers raised excessive military forces for a renewed Djihad. Their failure to see however, was, that their people - including the military - were predominately culturally closer to the Asturias, than to their Arab overlords. Their military preparations were constructed to be driven by greed and in violation of a century year old peace. Civil war broke out, lead by the lower nobility (who had long waited for an opportunity to dethrone the Umayyad) and with serious support in military.
It was rumored that with the help of the Gaulish Christians, Andalusia finally passed into the hands of the Alivids, an extremist Mutazilite dynasty. The Ashari Umayyad however were still in control of Morocco. Hakim Alivid, was a Spaniard in all but name and thus changed even that into Enrique Alivid and ruled as a king. He opened the Kingdom (even more) to trade with his northern neighbors and abolished the Jizya tax for Christians and Jews (although, he kind of replaced it 4 years later, by lifting the common tax and giving tax exemptions to mosques).
What followed were centuries of struggle at the straight of Gibraltar. In many cases the Hispanic-Moroccan wars fell together with Muslim-Christian wars in the Holy land, leading much of the Muslim world looking at the Alivids as traitors (As they did not participate in the defense of Islam and -in fact- bound Umayyad forces, that might have joined) In 1400, the Alivids were finally successful, and conquered Morocco from Fez to Anti-Atlas.
However, spreading its soldiers thin and the diplomatic and religious isolation from the rest of the Muslim world had two other effects: A new heresy had spread, carried by common population and opposing the religious authoritarianism. From it sprung the second Hispanic revolution. The military was mostly loyal believers of Sunni Islam and the revolution of the reformers could have taken much longer and ended much bloodier but then, the Asturias gamble came back at them. With the help of another Christian nation (tbd.) they raised a huge army of mercenaries and started a war of aggression. King Joakim thus decided to negotiate with the reformers, before his Kingdom could crumble. In the end he agreed to abandon his throne (as he would still hold a powerful duchy), separate worldly and religious power and to give over jurisdiction to secular judges.
With the combined forces of the military plus the revolters' militias, the Christians were overwhelmed and this time, Andalusia seized control of the northern coast of their peninsula, uniting Hispania.
Within the next century, the nation focused to expand south, to exploit the riches of Africa and to turn the Sahel, where Muslim rulers were still struggling with pagan population, to the Reformation. The first vassal Kingdom was established, although "Atlanta", the Kingdom behind the Atlas mountains, was only sparsely popularized, it was still economically important enough to justify this special title and privilege, as it secured inter-Saharan trade routes. There was another attempt in revolution by the disowned Alivid dynasty but the Reformers had found a noble champion of their own and the King of the Khajanid dynasty was able to unite the major part of the military behind himself.
The Andalusian Golden Age started with the Christian Reformation in the early 17th century. The Muslims saw the compatibilities with the new Christian denomination and decided to aid the Protestants - where it was economically sound. They lend their soldiers as mercenaries and at times raided catholic areas, where they could under the disguise of war. With the influx of money, so came further expansion southwards, as Andalusia conquered the Takur and Jolof and vassalized the Songhai (kind of, the south of their former lands resisted and was of minor economical interest to Andalusia). With the increase of African electors to their elective monarchy, the Lords of the Iberian Penisular under the rulership of the third Khajanid king in succession decided to reform the Government again, making succession inheritable again and granting the King - now called Emperor - the power to set up viceroys to govern titles outside Hispania. The Kings of Atlanta and Songhai were given exceptional status.
Towards the end of the 17th century, Andalusia joined the colonial forces with great investment, claiming the major part of the Southeast American coast. The run-down outpost of Gambia, and the river belonging to it, were brought from the Gaul and used as a harbor on the way further south, where Andalusia claimed the south coast of Westafrica between 3° and 5° western longitude.
Their hasty expansionism in America however turned to their disadvantage in 1810, when the southern Viceroyalities revolted. The long supply lines and the revolter's knowledge of the land could easily have mend the end of all the American colonies so the Emperor decided to make a concession: By granting the larger part of his remaining colonies the status of a vassal-kingdom (with a minor contract concerning tariffs added to the oath of fealty) he could ensure their loyalty for now, thereby gain local forces and tighten his personal control on the remaining part of the colonies. The southern part was lost, however.
In the end, the redefinition of Sao Paulo as a Kingdom should also turn out to be an economically reasonable move. While this meant less military control and less taxes, the King had to pay for the troops in his realm and their supplies himself, lifting a great financial burden off Andalusia.
RP example: viewtopic.php?p=31369010#p31369010
Rome's Folly(Do not remove)

by Khasinkonia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:10 pm
LsaZ wrote:If no one is going to claim China, I'll take the southern half of it.
By the way, I understand that most people want to play as a European nation, but there is plenty of unclaimed land in Southern and Central America. I would like to see at least one South American nation, just to make the RP more interesting.

by Nancivania » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Population - 35,351,804 est
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
Beyond The Void (planned) - Escojian Empire
Persian Mortals (planned) - Gallic Kingdom
-
-

by South Vict » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm
Khasinkonia wrote:LsaZ wrote:If no one is going to claim China, I'll take the southern half of it.
By the way, I understand that most people want to play as a European nation, but there is plenty of unclaimed land in Southern and Central America. I would like to see at least one South American nation, just to make the RP more interesting.
I'm going to say no on China, not only because of the reservation in place, but also because your application is for a Burman kingdom, which, Rome or no Rome, simply would never be able to take on China.

by Greater Slavic Union » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:20 pm

by South Vict » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:25 pm

by Greater Slavic Union » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:27 pm

by South Vict » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:30 pm

by Khasinkonia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:31 pm

by Greater Slavic Union » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 pm

by South Vict » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 pm
Khasinkonia wrote:South Vict wrote:But khasinkonia said i could after i make a few changes. Also [they] gave me 2 chances.
I said I'd consider you. Seeing how, despite my frankly vastly excessive patience with you, explanations, and even providing you with examples of how it should look, your application has only marginally improved. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help you improve if you're not willing to put in even enough effort to capitalise proper nouns. I'm, again, terribly sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. If you really would like to improve, go see one of the P2TM mentors. If you can demonstrate to me that you've improved enough to meet the minimum requirements of this RP in the future, I may reconsider. But until then, I must ban you from posting further.

by LsaZ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:39 pm
Khasinkonia wrote:LsaZ wrote:If no one is going to claim China, I'll take the southern half of it.
By the way, I understand that most people want to play as a European nation, but there is plenty of unclaimed land in Southern and Central America. I would like to see at least one South American nation, just to make the RP more interesting.
I'm going to say no on China, not only because of the reservation in place, but also because your application is for a Burman kingdom, which, Rome or no Rome, simply would never be able to take on China.

by Nancivania » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:41 pm
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Population - 35,351,804 est
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
Beyond The Void (planned) - Escojian Empire
Persian Mortals (planned) - Gallic Kingdom
-
-

by Khasinkonia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:43 pm
Britain and Gaul in this timeline are both Celtic, and very much united. The main reason the capital is not located in London is because it's a much smaller city than IRL.Nancivania wrote:Is an independent Britain possible? I don't care if it's highly influenced by another nation
South Vict wrote:Khasinkonia wrote:I said I'd consider you. Seeing how, despite my frankly vastly excessive patience with you, explanations, and even providing you with examples of how it should look, your application has only marginally improved. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help you improve if you're not willing to put in even enough effort to capitalise proper nouns. I'm, again, terribly sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. If you really would like to improve, go see one of the P2TM mentors. If you can demonstrate to me that you've improved enough to meet the minimum requirements of this RP in the future, I may reconsider. But until then, I must ban you from posting further.
This is ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!![]()
![]()

by Gyrenaica » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm



by Greater Slavic Union » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm
LsaZ wrote:Khasinkonia wrote:I'm going to say no on China, not only because of the reservation in place, but also because your application is for a Burman kingdom, which, Rome or no Rome, simply would never be able to take on China.
Well, can I at least have the Yunnan province?
I'll admit that half of China is a ridiculous claim for such a nation.
Nancivania wrote:Is an independent Britain possible? I don't care if it's highly influenced by another nation

by Nancivania » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:48 pm
National Information
Leader - King Marton II
Capital - Orka
Population - 35,351,804 est
Currency - Wakka
Roleplay Information
Beyond The Void (planned) - Escojian Empire
Persian Mortals (planned) - Gallic Kingdom
-
-

by Khasinkonia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:50 pm
Greater Slavic Union wrote:LsaZ wrote:
Well, can I at least have the Yunnan province?
I'll admit that half of China is a ridiculous claim for such a nation.
I'd say no.
I am studying Chinese language (so, add Chinese culture and history and philosophy) at school, and I can tell you that those lands are the historic bedrock of China: it started there, then moved to the North. And there you can find the richest lands and the most densely populated ones in this period (halfway through the 19th century).Nancivania wrote:Is an independent Britain possible? I don't care if it's highly influenced by another nation
I think no, but you should talk with the OP about that. I'd recommend you Scandinavia, given that I will conquer Russia VERY soon.

by The V O I D » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:55 pm


by LsaZ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:56 pm
Khasinkonia wrote:Greater Slavic Union wrote:
I'd say no.
I am studying Chinese language (so, add Chinese culture and history and philosophy) at school, and I can tell you that those lands are the historic bedrock of China: it started there, then moved to the North. And there you can find the richest lands and the most densely populated ones in this period (halfway through the 19th century).
I think no, but you should talk with the OP about that. I'd recommend you Scandinavia, given that I will conquer Russia VERY soon.
Yeah, I'm going to agree here. LsaZ, you may expand your territories later, in the IC, but, to do so, you must provide decent reasons, as your nation isn't currently in tip-top condition.


by Greater Slavic Union » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:59 pm

by Ceasario » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 pm
The V O I D wrote:Hey, sweet, if that Iberian nation is accepted I have an Islamic ally in Western Europe.
Advertisement
Return to Portal to the Multiverse
Users browsing this forum: Mallatrovia, The Daeva
Advertisement