NATION

PASSWORD

Now that Belgium has been liberated...

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Now that Belgium has been liberated...

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:19 am

Now that Belgium region has been liberated by several defender organizations, the griefers ejected, and a new password put in place...

I have to wonder if the current resolution passes, will it lift the new password, thereby making it open season for new raider/griefer groups to re-invade?

Should those of us who were going to vete "yes" now change our vote to "no" so this does not happen?

Or, can we get the resolution declared nul and void, and removed from the vote?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Now that Belgium has been liberated...

Postby Allrule » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 am

Wrong forum. Try Security Council.
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Now that Belgium region has been liberated by several defender organizations, the griefers ejected, and a new password put in place...

I have to wonder if the current resolution passes, will it lift the new password, thereby making it open season for new raider/griefer groups to re-invade?

Yes it will, but as long as the resolution stands, Belgium cannot be passworded - which means that defenders are free to take it at the next update (should it be recaptured by invaders).

Grays Harbor wrote:Should those of us who were going to vete "yes" now change our vote to "no" so this does not happen?

Not so sure about this one. I've withdrawn my vote in favour, and am sitting on the fence currently.

Grays Harbor wrote:Or, can we get the resolution declared nul and void, and removed from the vote?

Not possible.
Last edited by Travancore-Cochin on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A. Parameswaran Nair,
Ambassador from Travancore-Cochin to the General Assembly.

Vinoslavia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vinoslavia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Now that Belgium region has been liberated by several defender organizations, the griefers ejected, and a new password put in place...

Should those of us who were going to vete "yes" now change our vote to "no" so this does not happen?

No, You should slap yourself in the face for voting yes in the first place and now stick to your initial choice and continue to vote yes, In order to punish the pathetic residents of Belgium who devised this rubbish in the first place.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:13 pm

This belongs in the Security Council.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Allrule wrote:Wrong forum. Try Security Council.

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:This belongs in the Security Council.

excuse me. I should obviously be horsewhipped then. :eyebrow:

do you have anything constructive to add besides pointing out the obvious error of my ways?

Not Ta'veren

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Vinoslavia wrote:

No, You should slap yourself in the face for voting yes in the first place and now stick to your initial choice and continue to vote yes, In order to punish the pathetic residents of Belgium who devised this rubbish in the first place.

or we could declare war on you for insulting His Majesties government.

Not Ta'veren

The Sedge
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sedge » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:14 pm

The resolution cannot be removed from vote. At the moment, the natives of Belgium are coming to a decision as to what they want to do next, they've advised that people support the resolution for now, though they may change their mind on that.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:56 pm

It is best to see how the natives manage and then act according to their wishes. I am holding on at the moment.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Allrule wrote:Wrong forum. Try Security Council.

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:This belongs in the Security Council.

excuse me. I should obviously be horsewhipped then. :eyebrow:

do you have anything constructive to add besides pointing out the obvious error of my ways?

No, not really. I just wanted it out of the GA forum.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Northern Chittowa
Envoy

Founded: Mar 03, 2005

Postby Northern Chittowa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:24 pm

Vinoslavia wrote:

Why should anyone slap themselves in the face for voting yes on it? Regardless of the PW being removed it allows the region to have a fighting chance at the very least if the invaders make moves to take it again. If they do succeed at least the natives of Belgium know that it will not be the end for them...

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:It is best to see how the natives manage and then act according to their wishes. I am holding on at the moment.

Yes of course because the WA has nothing better to do than to be running back and forth at the behest of Belgium, does it ? No other regions to Liberate or condemn e.t.c.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Are there any particular proposals that the observer from Urgench has in mind?

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN Ambassador
Retired Officer, Nasicournia
]
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Not especially, though this place is littered with liberations at the moment, my point is that there is no especially justification for why Belgium has suddenly become the treasured little pet of the SC or for why it should be expected to show such constant particularism toward it.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Postby Goobergunchia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:09 pm

We hardly feel that the potential for two resolutions on a single subject -- one to adopt, the other to repeal -- constitutes special favoritism on the part of the Security Council. Many tedious General Assembly debates have dragged on over the course of two resolutions, with few minds being changed on either side. In this case, we simply wish to respect the sovereignty of Belgium. We would do the same to any other region being considered.

[Lord] Michael Evif
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
NS Game Moderator

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:We hardly feel that the potential for two resolutions on a single subject -- one to adopt, the other to repeal -- constitutes special favoritism on the part of the Security Council. Many tedious General Assembly debates have dragged on over the course of two resolutions, with few minds being changed on either side. In this case, we simply wish to respect the sovereignty of Belgium. We would do the same to any other region being considered.

[Lord] Michael Evif

Belgium could easily obviate the second resolution if they made up their minds what they want the WA to do. Instead they want the WA to hold on while the get their act together, they also want the WA to intervene in their crisis while they do so, they also then want to waste the SC's time with a repeal if they finally get round to making up their minds.

If your saying that the WA should entertain all this your clearly suggesting that they should be in some way prioritised and be forgiven for abusing its processes, I'm finding it hard to understand what Belgium has done that the WA should be so delighted to do all this for them.
Last edited by Urgench on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Ambassador Kristopher Windcharmer shakes his head, only slightly amused some of the commentary.

"Well, as for me, I would much rather be talking about how to proceed from here now that Belgium is free rather than discussing the situation that existed as of last night.

The skies of Belgium are free and her people are now in the process of normalizing their region. Right now, their delegate has asked for the vote to continue as it was. We will respect their wishes. It's their region - it belongs to them.

I'd much rather have to go through the trouble of a repeal than to go back to the way things were - game over scenarios. While the resolution may not have served it's intended purpose, but the moment it hit quorum it still sent a message loud and clear that one way or another - the world would see a free Belgium."
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Postby Goobergunchia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:28 pm

We think that the observer from Urgench is attributing motives where none exist. While we would also prefer to not spend the time on a repeal vote, we feel that regional sovereignty is paramount.

The Liberal Unitary Republic cannot speak for the region of Belgium and their internal processes.

[Lord] Michael Evif
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
NS Game Moderator

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Havensky wrote:Ambassador Kristopher Windcharmer shakes his head, only slightly amused some of the commentary.

"Well, as for me, I would much rather be talking about how to proceed from here now that Belgium is free rather than discussing the situation that existed as of last night.

The skies of Belgium are free and her people are now in the process of normalizing their region. Right now, their delegate has asked for the vote to continue as it was. We will respect their wishes. It's their region - it belongs to them.

I'd much rather have to go through the trouble of a repeal than to go back to the way things were - game over scenarios. While the resolution may not have served it's intended purpose, but the moment it hit quorum it still sent a message loud and clear that one way or another - the world would see a free Belgium."

It must be comforting to feel so righteous about the whole issue, it's a shame that you still haven't really explained why the WA should be dancing to Belgium's tune instead of Belgium doing us the decency of making up their minds if they wish to refound or not and recommending a WA vote on this resolution in accordance with such a decision.

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:We think that the observer from Urgench is attributing motives where none exist. While we would also prefer to not spend the time on a repeal vote, we feel that regional sovereignty is paramount.

The Liberal Unitary Republic cannot speak for the region of Belgium and their internal processes.

[Lord] Michael Evif

In what way have I actually questioned "regional sovereignty" ? I'm merely wondering why one region's sovereignty trumps all other region's sovereignty.

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:33 pm

From what I have observed, the Resolution to Liberate Belgium had to follow the same rules of Quorum as everyone else. I suspect the repeal will be the same way. So, I disagree that the WA has been giving Belgium impartial treatment. If I remember correctly, France hit quorum first before that region was liberated. (And thus, the resolution withdrawn)

And it's not as if the WA has been ignoring all the other captured regions all together - Liberate Chicago just hit quorum and there are a slew of liberation proposals that are in the pipeline. Belgium was just the first to come to a vote.

(OCC: You'll have to forgive Windcharmer's righteousness about the issue - he has family in the Armada)
Last edited by Havensky on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Postby Goobergunchia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:36 pm

We fail to see how the sovereignty of any other region is being impacted by this. While certain hypothetical scenarios have been set forth, we see no point in discussing them until an actual proposal to repeal the liberation of Belgium has been tabled.

[Lord] Michael Evif
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
NS Game Moderator

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Havensky wrote:From what I have observed, the Resolution to Liberate Belgium had to follow the same rules of Quorum as everyone else. I suspect the repeal will be the same way. So, I disagree that the WA has been giving Belgium impartial treatment. If I remember correctly, France hit quorum first before that region was liberated. (And thus, the resolution withdrawn)

And it's not as if the WA has been ignoring all the other captured regions all together - Liberate Chicago just hit quorum and there are a slew of liberation proposals that are in the pipeline. Belgium was just the first to come to a vote.

Are you reading what I'm writing ? I've had to say this dozens of times and it's boring me now. I have no problem with the resolution at vote, none whatsoever, so lets put that to bed shall we ?

My problem is that instead of camapaigning for what ever kind of vote they now want in light of having been liberated by defenders, they are saying that they will take their own sweet time and then make us all revisit this if and when they decide to bring a repeal.

This is a totally unecessary waste of time and they should have been able to decide what course of action this set of perfectly predictable events might prompt, and certainly should be able to come to a decision in time to change the vote to whatever suits them.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Postby Goobergunchia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Urgench wrote:This is a totally unecessary waste of time and they should have been able to decide what course of action this set of perfectly predictable events might prompt, and certainly should be able to come to a decision in time to change the vote to whatever suits them.

We disagree with the assertion that these events were "perfectly predictable". Please see our most recent statement in the proper discussion on the resolution currently at vote.

[Lord] Michael Evif
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
NS Game Moderator

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:We fail to see how the sovereignty of any other region is being impacted by this. While certain hypothetical scenarios have been set forth, we see no point in discussing them until an actual proposal to repeal the liberation of Belgium has been tabled.

[Lord] Michael Evif

So you have no problem that because the Belgians were too feckless and selfish to bother to make provision for this kind of outcome and are too arrogant and conceited to bother to come up with a decision now other regions in sore need of being liberated must have their liberation be postponed if Belgium's repeal just happens to make quorum before their liberation does ?

You have no problem with Belgium's complete disregard for the sovereignty of other regions ?
Last edited by Urgench on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council