NATION

PASSWORD

Demens Chosen [PL: Into the Abyss - CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:erm, cer, Romulus is still on the mission with Venla?

Real Romulus I mean. Unless this is paper Romy.

Yeah that's a bit of an issue. But if it's quite important, Romy could always be plucked back to Galli for a short while, then inserted back into Last Chance with hardly any time lost, right?

At least that's my idea and suggestion, I would certainly prefer that Romy obviously does whatever it is that he needs to do, but at the same time still do the mission he is in. Whatever is decided though, I just want it to at least be somewhat cohesive.

Northwest Slobovia wrote:Second-generation xeroxed Romy. :P

Three Romys for the price of one. :P
Last edited by Chedastan on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:erm, cer, Romulus is still on the mission with Venla?

Real Romulus I mean. Unless this is paper Romy.

Oh fuck. Well. there's that. I'll edit. TY NA.

Done.

"How many Romys PL got?"

"How many you need?"

"Four. I'll take four."

"Right, just sign this release and don't feed them after midnight."
Last edited by Cerillium on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:13 pm

The BranRiech wrote:It sucks that Char!Bran won't get to see PL through, considering I'm dropping him. But I think it's for the better that I have Yuna and Drova. They work better I think, as I made them when I was a bit more advanced at RP'ing. I can retire Bran knowing he's had a hell of a good run, and I'll have to write up an appropriate sendoff for him. He has a family back home he needs to raise. :p

Are you certain? With Yuna away, you could easily run him for the time being. He might find he has a whole new purpose, thanks to his helicopter.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Pippa-Michelle, Queen of the Cutouts.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:Pippa-Michelle, Queen of the Cutouts.

She's a just, kind queen. *nods*
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:also, which characters do we bring to this meeting? All of them, even the ones we'll be dropping? Or just the ones we are for sure keeping around?

Just a bit confused and needing clarification.

The ones you're keeping. The others can be parked or sent home. We'll assume they'll know all the facts through the Building's gossip line after the meeting, if they remain. This means you can put them into play if you feel like swapping out.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Cerillium wrote:
Holy Lykos wrote:also, which characters do we bring to this meeting? All of them, even the ones we'll be dropping? Or just the ones we are for sure keeping around?

Just a bit confused and needing clarification.

The ones you're keeping. The others can be parked or sent home. We'll assume they'll know all the facts through the Building's gossip line after the meeting, if they remain. This means you can put them into play if you feel like swapping out.

Would Saki be able to stay on Galli, but go run a shop in the village like a few other characters have done? I don't think he'd want to go home :p
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:
Cerillium wrote:The ones you're keeping. The others can be parked or sent home. We'll assume they'll know all the facts through the Building's gossip line after the meeting, if they remain. This means you can put them into play if you feel like swapping out.

Would Saki be able to stay on Galli, but go run a shop in the village like a few other characters have done? I don't think he'd want to go home :p

Would like to know this as well. Can we have our parked characters run as NPCs in specific locations as opposed to being in "suspended animation" or being somewhere unseen? They don't have to be in the spotlight as all, just perhaps mentioned in the background as still existing.
First as tragedy, then as farce

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Highfort wrote:
Holy Lykos wrote:Would Saki be able to stay on Galli, but go run a shop in the village like a few other characters have done? I don't think he'd want to go home :p

Would like to know this as well. Can we have our parked characters run as NPCs in specific locations as opposed to being in "suspended animation" or being somewhere unseen? They don't have to be in the spotlight as all, just perhaps mentioned in the background as still existing.

Yup.

Saldinado
Minister

Founded: Oct 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Saldinado » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 pm

*rubs eyes and yawns*

Ah that wonderful feeling of accomplishment, tiredness and death when you take it upon yourself to take college and high school courses at the same time.
I'll be getting up a post either tomorrow or the weekend but now I must sleep. So goodnight.
You do you. And I'll do me. And we won't do each other. Probably.- Mark Fischbach

We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.- Albert Einstein

Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book, and remembering-because you can't take it in all at once.- Audrey Hepburn

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade....And try to find someone whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.-Ron White

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like 'whaaat?'-Phil Dunphy

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Sharing another interesting video about writing tools. Like others I've shared it's anime-centric but can apply to most other mediums. Just thought it'd be good brain food - it's about Deconstruction and the relatively recent abuse of the term.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Ja!

Maybe she'll make appearances as an adventure-exclusive character in the future. I didn't forget or dislike her, I just sort of realized she wasn't a character very geared toward goal-reaching and probably wouldn't work with PL's current expectations for PCs.
she/her

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Cer, not sure if you needed a list, but here it is anyway. If anyone's missing, please post link.

Ched
Granis
NA
Min
Prim
Tilt
Torsi
UAE:
Bran:

@Bran. Drova is good to go.

@Ched, NA. All are good.

@Min. LOL@Fab. He's good.

@Prim. Nice flaws woven in. The DEiMOS won't be able to transport but the Luxans can use a Gate. My only concern is, with all they have piled in there, they have no reason to go out to find new things. It also opens up the door for ass-pull stuff. If I can offer a suggestion - C!Prim's primary goal is "Enhance his family’s standing in the Luxan Homeland". That's not really possible given what's going on. What if we shifted to towards "Regaining what was lost" and wick away some of the DEiMOS stuff? Now he has a reason to go on missions, to explore dimensions, and to seek out new life and new civilizations and taste their souls. Perhaps scrolls were lost and books got wet? Or the lab needs specific things not readily available. This gives you a chance to run a story in the future. Send Aegis and Naomi to recover something necessary for them? That doesn't mean there aren't weird things still in their control (thus a potential for an adventure using them.)

@Tilt. I know I've seen your app but the wrong link is above.

@Torsi. Are you going with the other two instead?

Will do the rest in a new post since they're brand new and not reworked characters.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:39 pm

@Cer blorp
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Giovenith wrote:Sharing another interesting video about writing tools. Like others I've shared it's anime-centric but can apply to most other mediums. Just thought it'd be good brain food - it's about Deconstruction and the relatively recent abuse of the term.

Nice find! It does seem people confuse consequences with edgedark.

Giovenith wrote:

Ja!

Maybe she'll make appearances as an adventure-exclusive character in the future. I didn't forget or dislike her, I just sort of realized she wasn't a character very geared toward goal-reaching and probably wouldn't work with PL's current expectations for PCs.

Yay!

*nods* It's OK. I think you could find quite a few chars as such.
mumblemumblemumble

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 pm

@Tilt. She's good. Are you bringing Mathias in as well?

Granis wrote:Ok, so here's my character app. I feel like I'll get a little lost at this point though, so where and how should I introduce myself if I'm accepted.

CODE: SELECT ALL
#PLAPP
(Image)
PERSONIFICATION LIFE
CHARACTER APPLICATION

PLAYER INFORMATION
NS nation nickname: Granis

Skill Level (beginner, intermediate, advanced): intermediate

How often can you post? So often it might actually be kind of sad. I don't really have much of a life right now.

CHARACTER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Character Name: Jack Evans

Character Gender: Male

Species (nation personification, human, alien, etc): Human

Appearance:

URL to Character Picture, if any:
http://static.zerochan.net/Doujima.Ryou ... 044660.jpg

Character Occupation: Part time monster hunter, Occasional chef and butcher

Character's biggest strength:
He is decently talented in multiple forms of hand to hand and knife combat, is very skilled with firearms, and is at a near master level in runic enchantment. This is only possible because he poured almost everything he had into this training, knowing that the alternative was near certain death.

[b]Character's biggest weakness:
If it isn't to do with magic, cooking, or combat, he probably has a year eighters level of knowledge with it, having stopped taking notice of most mundane subjects when he started needing to learn magic to survive. He is also fairly shy.

OBJECTIVES
[b]Primary Objectives
are your character's main goals. This should be the thing that drives their part of the plot. When not engaged in stories, these are what occupy your character's thoughts or keep them busy. Examples include: acting on a desire to become a powerful and respected leader; attempting to overcome some horrible thing in the past which hinders the character on a day-to-day basis; seeking to break out their shell by overcoming profound shyness (getting involved with stories); comping to terms with a major flaw that inhibits the character from reaching full potential; etc.

Secondary Objectives are minor goals. These should be an undercurrent for your character when they are engaged in stories or on their free time. Examples include: acquiring weapons and becoming proficient with each one; improving sundered relations with a companion; improving their reading comprehension; mastering news spells; researching a cure for a plague; etc.

Objectives such as "making friends" or "finding love" are NOT acceptable. Please put much though into your character's objectives - they are what flesh out your character and one of the most important aspects necessary to portray the character as 3D.

Primary Objective: Two years ago, Jacks best friend, Hannah Melville, was dragged through a portal to god knows where while sacrificing herself to prevent a particularly powerful demonic entity from altering the world any further, having already watched their world being combined with the one the demon came from, an act which forever warped it.
While no one in their world had any knowledge of the omniverse, Jack figured that they had to have gone somewhere, and used a massive runic array he made to essentially force himself through space and time. Now he wishes to search the multiverse in order to find Hannah.

Secondary Objectives: While Jack isn't hunting demons, gods, monsters, and dangerous magic users, he takes the time to enjoy cooking, having owned a small stand he made street food at in his spare time back home. Now he has decided to try and amass recipes from all the different worlds, and maybe even becoming the best chef in the entire omniverse, should he find the effort. He also wishes to collect more unique runes he can use, as well as new and interesting firearms.

MUNDANE SKILLS
These do NOT require points. These are the average, daily things your character can do. Examples are "drive a car", "speak one Foreign Language", "play a guitar", "write poetry". Some mundane skills come from your bio and are freebie. A soldier has gone through Basic training. However, Medic, martial arts or sniper would be a Specialized Skill or Talent.

List Mundane skills here
Can play the drums fairly well
Is an excellent cook
Is a quick reader
Is very good at drawing
An encyclopaedic knowledge of most anime

SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND TALENTS
These are specialized skills that set you apart from the average person. You have 7 points to spend here. Examples are swordsmanship, sniper, coercion, medic, wizarding, piloting etc.

• Ability 1 and Points Spent: Extensive firearms training, 4
  • Ability 2 and Points Spent: Extensive close combat training, 3
  • Ability 3 and Points Spent:
  • Ability 4 and Points Spent:

OPTIONAL SUPERNATURAL CHARACTERISTICS
You have 7 points to spend here on supernatural skills or abilities. Sonic Scream, Levitation, Spell Casting, Shape Shifting etc. Superman MUST have his kryptonite thus weaknesses are things which inhibit the ability. Restrictions are what can't they do with their power or what balances it. They can only use it when they genuinely need it? They can't use it for more then five minutes without serious side-effects? Some things are allowed without points. A pegasus has wings thus it can fly. A raptor is fast thus no points are spent in speed. These "natural" abilities should be listed here, however. What isn't allowed: teleportation beyond a few feet; the ability to alter or go back/forward in time.

• Ability 1: Runic Array enchantment
    Power Level: 5
    Strengths: Can be used to turn enchant mundane objects with magical power, the effects of which are dependent on the runes used in the array, and are near endless.
    Weaknesses: Must be drawn extremely well, otherwise it can backfire, making it extremely dangerous. This means that, unless the drawer is well defended enough to ensure their safety, runic arrays cannot be drawn in combat, perhaps excluding a few of the most simple ones. Drawing runes on living things, while technically possible, is incredibly dangerous, causing extreme amounts of damage with prolonged use.
    Restrictions: Objects must be large enough to draw the runic array on. This means that, unless the drawer is insanely talented, more complicated runes can only be drawn on large objects.
    Runic arrays generally cannot be activated remotely, unless there are extensive complicated modifications to the array itself, or there is a second array with the singular purpose being to activate the first array remotely, meaning most arrays need to be in contact with the users body to be activated.
    Runic Arrays must also be drawn with a specific, blood-based ink, to ensure that the array stays permanent. If the user wishes to ensure that others cannot activate their arrays, this ink is further limited to being made from the users own blood.

• Ability 2:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:

• Ability 3:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:

• Ability 4:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:
MAGICAL OR SPECIAL ITEMS
If it's not on this list, your character doesn't have it. Magical items are rare and hard to come by. Please list what they can/can't do - treat them like a supernatural thing. Items not allowed: anything that can alter time; anything that allows a character to teleport beyond a few feet.

List:
Enchanted Barrett M82A1M:
An already powerful American sniper rifle, with a reputation for being an exceptional anti-materiel rifle. On top of its normal attributes, Jack has placed two runic enchantments on it, a remote activation array for his bullets, and an array that lessens the effects of gravity on the gun.

Two Enchanted Colt M1911s:
Two secondary pistols Jack keeps on him, both with remote activation arrays on them.

Enchanted M-9 Bayonet:
An enchanted combat knife that Hannah gave Jack when she first dragged him into the business of hunting demons and monsters. It currently has three arrays on it;
one that causes a strong electrical current to run through the blade when charged, one that makes it far more durable, and one that super heats the blade enough for it to cut through most materials easily, with the only reason the blade itself doesn't melt being the array that increases durability.

Enchanted jacket:
Just a normal jacket Jack enchanted, giving it resistances to stabs and slashes, as well as fire. He is still working on inventing an array that allows fabric to be resistant to blunt forces, while still keeping its flexibility.

Multiple cases of enchanted bullets:
Bullets that Jack has drawn arrays on. These can allow them to have elemental effects, or increased their kinetic force, or decrease air resistance, allowing them to fly further..

EQUIPMENT
This is what your character has on their person at the very moment when they are pulled from their home dimension. Don't abuse this. They won't be clutching an entire bunker.

List:
A large duffle bag full of cooking equipment, most of which are enchanted. These include pots, pans, and a set of knives. There are also a number of thick guidebooks on different runic arrays, so he can keep learning new techniques.

A smaller bag, enchanted to remain 'refrigerated', which contains meat, vegetables, dairy products, and spices.

He also has a number of pockets attached to the inside of his jacket, containing tubes of homemade enchanting ink.

BACKGROUND
Be detailed please. You must explain how your character aquired their skills, talents, abilities, and special items. Wrap your primary and secondary objectives into it.

Education or Training:
Extensive magical training, specifically in the area of runic enchantment. However, this has caused him to become lax in almost every other area. Took cooking classes, as neither his teacher nor his friend knew how to cook. Also trained extensively with both firearms and close ranged combat.

Character Background/Biography:
Up until the age of fourteen, Jack was a relatively normal kid, knowing nothing more about the occult than any other normal kid. That all changed a few days after his fourteenth birthday, when his eccentric, horrifying and inhumanly strong best friend Hannah Melville accidentally summoned a relatively powerful, young infernal entity, and coerced him into helping her get rid of it. Ever since that day, Jack had been dragged along to fight demons and monsters with Hannah, begrudgingly at first, but slowly coming to accept it as his life.

For the next ten years, he studied magic with Hannah and her legal guardian Marie Lindall, who was a friend of Hannah's father before he died and a powerful mage, known throughout the magical community as 'Lindall the Bomber' after her signature spell, 'Magic Minefield'. While most normal forms of magic proved to be extremely difficult for him, he quickly learned that he had an incredible talent for drawing runic arrays. This coupled with (forced) training with firearms under Marie's tutelage to make up for his lack of spell casting ability has led to him being given the moniker 'The Bullet Mage'. While never particularly well known thanks to efforts to remain out of the larger magic community, those who did know of him respected his skill, particularly mages who worked in the area of runic enchantment themselves.

Unfortunately , when Jack and Hannah were twenty two, a group of cultists summoned a powerful demon, which proceeded to start fusing the world of spirits with the normal human world. However, before irreversible damage could be done, Hannah forced a portal for an entirely different world to open, and sacrificed herself to drag the demon to the other side with her.

For the last two years, Jack has been experimenting on increasingly complicated runic arrays that would allow him to reach the multiverse, and finally succeeded merely two days ago.

OTHER GAME MECHANICS
URL to Apartment Picture: (What's the inside of their apartment look like)
http://kiwi-international-hotel.aucklan ... 12537.JPEG
A small, sparse one room apartment with a decent kitchen, a decent bed and very little else. The painting is something he did himself, as part of the training for creating runes.

Link to RP examples: (this MUST be a DIRECT LINK to your IC post in an RP, NOT a link to the RP thread itself. If you don't have examples, make your biography good.)
Joseph could already see smoke beginning to rise as he neared the city, the telltale sounds of massive guns firing at each other confirming something he already expected.

The battle had already begun.

He could still see dropships flying over the city, knights from both sides dropping in, some shot from the sky before they could reach the ground.

"Damn it!" He shouted. "Salem, change of plans! We're not going to have time to make our presence known as non-combatants! We're going to have to go straight in if we want to find any survivors!"

"But sir, both factions will assume we're enemi-"

"I know, damn it!" He shouted, cutting off the AI. "But if we don't get in there as fast as possible, more people are going to die!"

"Yes sir. Understood."

Almost screaming in frustration, he sped along the road.

The city was walled to keep some of the more dangerous animals of Eden out, so the only ways in were either being dropped in by aircraft, or going through the official entrances.

Official entrances that were almost definitely going to be heavily guarded.

Sure, the battlefield was on the other side of the city, so most of the frontiersmen would probably be on the other side of the city, but still, only idiots wouldn't leave at least one knight there to prevent enemies from catching them from behind.

And, sure enough, there were two frontiersmen knights, directly ahead of him.

And, as expected, they had noticed him.

What a day for Salems communication network to be broken, huh?

He knew they were trying to raise him on their comms because, you know, they hadn't shot at him yet. This quickly changed when he didn't respond, and they were already raising their weapons to fire.

"Salem! Try and shoot their guns!"

"Yes sir."

As he sped towards the entrance, he felt the vibrations of that stupidly powerful machine gun beginning to fire, and watched in satisfaction as the first knights gun was blasted from its hand, the seconds hand being completely blown from the arm.

Before they could regain their balance, Joseph drove Salem between the two knights and into the city.

And no, he didn't care if he had just left the back gate almost completely undefended for the UEC to get in. Maybe then the battle would be over faster.

No, the only thing he cared about right now was getting into the city, finding civilians, and getting them out.

It was all any of these pilots should be thinking about.

IMPORTANT FINAL STEP:
One paragraph that sums up your character. This paragraph is what we'll use on your player tab on the first page of the thread. This MUST be brief. Your tab will contain a link to your application so people will have full details.
The nickname you go by on NS: Granis
Image Link: http://static.zerochan.net/Doujima.Ryou ... 044660.jpg
Brief Description for Bio: A magic gunman who loves cooking and runic enchantment, and is searching the omniverse for his best friend.

Please direct questions to the OP or the CoOPs. Thanks for applying. Bear in mind that it can take several days for applications to be approved; check back often.

It's a good write-up for a newer RPer. Nice job.

Objectives:
Please keep in mind that I won't allow anyone to travel through time. We have two players with characters capable of it, and both are CoOPs. We do this because we've had too many "oops" moments where a character has gone back in time and accidentally screwed up the present. Your objective (find a lost companion) is good and could lead to eventually bringing that friend in as a character. But pad it a bit. Jack needs a purpose to allow him to fit in. He'll be going on adventures. What would motivate him to be part of a team?

Now for the hard part:
"While Jack isn't hunting demons, gods, monsters, and dangerous magic users..." The entire IC is made up of demons, gods, monsters, and dangerous magic users. The goal in PL is teamwork rather than trying to outdo other players. Most of these beings are old characters with ungodly points in their supernatural skills. Confronting them will be insta-death. How do you intend to have Jack rationalize working with both good and evil entities?

Weapons:
Way too overpowered. I like your idea however. But, since you're at a new level, I highly recommend starting off with something less potent. And picking only one. Also, "no" to the ammo. Pick the weapon or the ammo, but not both.

Let's give him some balance and an idea of how to tweak the weapons. Think of these as more places to spend points, and the weapons as an extension of supernatural abilities. You have 7 total. Distribute them as a breakdown of each weapon's ability.
    An already powerful American sniper rifle, with a reputation for being an exceptional anti-materiel rifle. On top of its normal attributes, Jack has placed two runic enchantments on it, a remote activation array for his bullets (4), and an array that lessens the effects of gravity on the gun (3).
You run out of points after this. You'd also need him to have these arrays under Supernatural.

Skills:
You're going to need to spend points in Runic Magic Lore/Knowledge in order to use Runes in the game. I highly recommend you also spend points in Artist/Scribe/whatever in order to have him draw the Runes, or he's left with doodles inside the loci.

Supernatural:
Ability 1: Runic Array enchantment
Which type? I won't let him use the whole deck. He's still an entry-level character and, like all the others in the IC, he starts off basic and then we build him up over time. I'd suggest picking one or two array as a start. For example, Heartfire array 4 and Eightfold Path array 3. One is offensive, and the other ornamental but still useful. As time goes on, he's able to learn more array (he finds scrolls regarding them, he experiments in the IC to try out different things). I'm not familiar with every array out there, but I suspect you'll want to keep one or two of the ones listed.

What you'll need to do is list the array name, what it does, what counters it, and how it's put into play.

Things I won't allow any non-CoOP characters to do: alter/travel time; jump dimensions. Some players' characters do have this ability but they've worked towards that goal. One of our gods comes to mind here.

The overall concept is solid. I like it. I'd like to see him in play. (All new players usually need application tweaks so please don't feel bad!) If you make adjustments, I'll take a look tomorrow and see how the balance is.

Introduction is painless. Once approved, we'll walk you through his arrival and introduce you to the setting a bit at a time so you don't become too overwhelmed.
Last edited by Cerillium on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Prim, awesome response IC!

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 pm

@Cer yup, and here he is!...shortly.

#PLAPP
PERSONIFICATION LIFE
CHARACTER APPLICATION 2.0

PLAYER INFORMATION
NS nation nickname: Tilt

Skill Level (beginner, intermediate, advanced): Begiaced

How often can you post? I don't know

Character Name: Mathias Strand

Appearance: Caucasian, 6'0", 182 pounds, pale white, bespectacled, often wearing a headscarf.

URL to Character Picture, if any: Mathias

Character Occupation: Naturopath and botanist

Character's biggest strength: A methodical, scientific approach to solving problems.

Character's worst flaw: Extreme pacifism.

OBJECTIVES AND GOALS
Primary Objectives are what drive's your character's actions and their part of the plot. When not engaged in stories, these are what occupy your character's thoughts or keep them busy. Examples include: acting on a desire to become a powerful and respected leader; attempting to overcome some horrible thing in the past which hinders the character on a day-to-day basis; seeking to break out their shell by overcoming profound shyness (getting involved with stories); comping to terms with a major flaw that inhibits the character from reaching full potential; etc.

Minor Goals. These should be an undercurrent for your character when they are engaged in stories or on their free time. They are what your character does to aid them in achieving their Primary Objectives. Examples include: acquiring weapons and becoming proficient with each one; improving sundered relations with a companion; improving their reading comprehension; mastering news spells; researching a cure for a plague; etc.

Objectives such as "making friends" or "finding love" are NOT acceptable. Please put much though into your character's objectives - they are what flesh out your character and one of the most important aspects necessary to portray the character as 3D.

Primary Objective: Contribute to efforts in the God War (and to Residents in general) as a healer.

Minor Goals: Learn about and catalogue Galli's plant life for his continuing adventures in academia.

MUNDANE SKILLS
These do NOT require points. These are the average, daily things your character can do. Examples are "drive a car", "speak one Foreign Language", "play a guitar", "write poetry". Some mundane skills come from your bio and are freebie. A soldier has gone through Basic training. However, Medic, martial arts or sniper would be a Specialized Skill or Talent.

List Mundane skills here
  • Cleaning
  • Plant tending

These are specialized skills that set you apart from the average person. You have 7 points to spend here. Examples are swordsmanship, sniper, coercion, medic, spellcraft, piloting helicopter, manipulate water, etc.

• Ability 1 and Points Spent: Acupuncture, 5
  • Ability 2 and Points Spent: Botany, 4

You have 7 points to spend here on supernatural skills or abilities. Sonic Scream, Levitation, Spell Casting, Shape Shifting etc. Superman MUST have his kryptonite thus weaknesses are things which inhibit the ability. Restrictions are what can't they do with their power or what balances it. They can only use it when they genuinely need it? They can't use it for more then five minutes without serious side-effects? Some things are allowed without points. A pegasus has wings thus it can fly. A raptor is fast thus no points are spent in speed. These "natural" abilities should be listed here, however. What isn't allowed: teleportation beyond a few feet; the ability to alter or go back/forward in time. IMPORTANT: You might need a knowledge in Specialized Skills and Talents in order to work these abilities. Example: you'll need "manipulate water" to do just that, and this section is where you record what water manipulation abilities the character has.

• N/A

MAGICAL OR SPECIAL ITEMS
If it's not on this list, your character doesn't have it. Magical items are rare and hard to come by. Please list what they can/can't do - treat them like a supernatural thing. Items not allowed: anything that can alter time; anything that allows a character to teleport beyond a few feet.

List:

EQUIPMENT
This is what your character has on their person at the very moment when they are pulled from their home dimension. Laptop? Firearm? Cigarettes and matches? Don't abuse this. They won't be clutching an entire bunker.

List:
  • Laptop
  • Digital camera
  • Set of acupuncture needles
  • Various bottles of preservatives, solvents and disinfectants
  • Mortar and pestle
  • Scrapbook with samples of different plants' parts
  • Leather satchel with preserved foodstuffs (one day's supply)
  • One (1) potato, uncooked

BACKGROUND
Be detailed please. You must explain how your character acquired their skills, talents, abilities, and special items. Wrap your primary objectives and goals into it.

Education or Training: Academy of Naturopaths, Postpoc

Character Background/Biography: On Postpoc, Mathias was a drifter by nature who traded family and the bustle of the Ticaret Oasis for a more solitary existence in the Great Khan area five years ago. Although he maintained lodgings in the city proper, he generally struck out to find his own way with the desert nomads, cycling from group to group. Having built trust, bit by bit, he familiarized himself with their speech, ways and traditions, and with what they knew of the wildlife.

On Galli, he finds himself confronting an entirely new and unexpected set of challenges. Here, he trusts in Esma and the other Vagabonds alone, and hopes that they in turn trust him through their shared experiences back on Postpoc.

OTHER GAME MECHANICS
URL to Apartment Picture: (What's the inside of their apartment look like) Like so minus the glass, since it may be underground.

Link to RP examples: (this MUST be a DIRECT LINK to your IC post in an RP, NOT a link to the RP thread itself. If you don't have examples, make your biography good.)

IMPORTANT FINAL STEP:
One paragraph that sums up your character. This paragraph is what we'll use on your player tab on the first page of the thread. This MUST be brief. Your tab will contain a link to your application so people will have full details.
The nickname you go by on NS: Tilt
Image Link: Mathias
Brief Description for Bio: A pacifistic naturopath and healer.

Please direct questions to the OP or the CoOPs. Thanks for applying. Bear in mind that it can take several days for applications to be approved; check back often.
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mumblemumblemumble

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Cerillium wrote:Prim, awesome response IC!

+1 :D
mumblemumblemumble

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Unified East Asia wrote:
#PLAPP
(Image)
PERSONIFICATION LIFE
CHARACTER APPLICATION

PLAYER INFORMATION
NS nation nickname: UEA

Skill Level (beginner, intermediate, advanced): Beginner

How often can you post? Once a day depending on what events occur in life

Character Name: Akagi Sakurako

Character Gender: Female

Species: Personification

Appearance:

URL to Character Picture, if any: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... TcwZndyu7w
Character Occupation: Clerk in Naval base

OBJECTIVES

Primary Objective: Finishing what her Grandfather(Imperial Japan) started(Conquering the Pacific ocean)

Secondary Objectives: Obtaining a lot of money to maintain daily life and to go on a holiday to Palau

MUNDANE SKILLS

List Mundane skills here
-Speak Japanese
-Speak English in a way that is at least understandable
-Make green tea from tea leaves
-Multitask
-Respond to surroundings while asleep
-Large appetite
-Cooking

These are specialized skills that set you apart from the average person. You have 7 points to spend here. Examples are swordsmanship, sniper, coercion, medic, wizarding, piloting etc.

• Ability 1 and Points Spent: Archery
  • Ability 2 and Points Spent: Quick reflexes
  • Ability 3 and Points Spent: Ability to calculate quickly in her head

You have 7 points to spend here on supernatural skills or abilities. Sonic Scream, Levitation, Spell Casting, Shape Shifting etc. Superman MUST have his kryptonite thus weaknesses are things which inhibit the ability. Restrictions are what can't they do with their power or what balances it. They can only use it when they genuinely need it? They can't use it for more then five minutes without serious side-effects? Some things are allowed without points. A pegasus has wings thus it can fly. A raptor is fast thus no points are spent in speed. These "natural" abilities should be listed here, however. What isn't allowed: teleportation beyond a few feet; the ability to alter or go back/forward in time.

• Ability 1:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:

• Ability 2:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:

• Ability 3:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:

• Ability 4:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:
MAGICAL OR SPECIAL ITEMS

List:

EQUIPMENT
This is what your character has on their person at the very moment when they are pulled from their home dimension. Don't abuse this. They won't be clutching an entire bunker.

List: Purse with wallet, makeup, a small box of chocolate and some basic medicines like bandages and paracetamol in a small plastic case, Some tea leaves and her mobile phone along with the key to her apartment

BACKGROUND
Be detailed please. You must explain how your character aquired their skills, talents, abilities, and special items. Wrap your primary and secondary objectives into it.

Education or Training: She was Homeschooled by her father on Maths, science literature and tea ceremony. She was also physically trained by him in archery so much so she has a big appetite even after leaving her parents house and can score 9 points with her eyes closed

Character Background/Biography: Akagi was born in a small village in Japan where there were no schools yet so she was Homeschooled taught the basics about real life and their family's proud history ended by the Atomic bomb and their surrender. She hated the Americans but saw how they were and lost that hate after moving to Tokyo for university. She graduated university with flying colours thanks to her dad's homeschooling giving her high school material in Elementary. She decided to take the job as a soldier but was declined because of her gender so she became a clerk instead as counting was fun. She lived in a house in the suburbs of Tokyo but it was burned down from a gas explosion so she lives in an apartment now.

OTHER GAME MECHANICS
URL to Apartment Picture: (What's the inside of their apartment look like) https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... FnTq4NY8cU

IMPORTANT FINAL STEP:
The nickname you go by on NS: UEA
Character Name: Akagi Sakurako
Image Link: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... TcwZndyu7w
Brief Description for Bio: She is a village girl Homeschooled by her dad to Highschool then went to university in Tokyo and continued to live in Tokyo after graduating

I know my RP example(bio) is not good but I am joining so I can improve my writing skills.

A quick heads up: Personifications/Hetalia do die in PL. We have several characters that have figured out how to kill them. If you're running her as base Hetalia, she'll be cut off from her people completely. Can she survive in a dimension where Japan doesn't exist?

I did chuckle at "Speak English in a way that is at least understandable". That's better than I can do IRL. :p

Sakurako is a nice character. You covered the very basics well. Please don't worry about your writing skills. These improve over time if you're dedicated.

What do you think her biggest strength is? What's her weakness? (These are on the updated app.) For example, Ched's Character Nivea has the following:
    Character's biggest strength: Her positive and steadfast attitude in spite of having arrived to the Building after being almost executed in her home city. She is determined to try and make it back to the Building whenever possible for having been incredibly grateful for having her life saved and being given a second chance.

Character's worst flaw: Her inexperience and lack of precise knowledge of what exactly is going on and what her current situation entails, it doesn't help that the society she came from was rather medieval. She also still can't easily forgive herself for her past actions that her brought her to the Building, she is haunted from killing those two inquisitors, and is reluctant to kill anymore people, but she'll try and push herself if she must.
Nivea's strength will allow her to settle into a new setting nicely, and her positive attitude allows her to fully realize that she has a second chance at life. Her flaw is that she's prone to letting the past haunt her, and she fumbles a bit when thrust into an unknown setting. Ched can use these strengths and flaws to guide his writing when crafting a post. Nivea would rely on her strengths to overcome her flaws.

Let's look at Sakurako's objectives. Currently her main objective is to finish what her Grandfather started. The setting won't really allow for this. Likewise, Palau doesn't exist in the setting, and obtaining money to put aside for it is next to impossible due to the nature of the game. It will leave her feeling frustrated and thus her goal becomes her hindrance - difficult to play for new players, but not impossible. That doesn't mean she can't have these as her dreams but goals/objectives are what motivates our actions.

She's about to find herself in a magical land filled with supernatural beings. "Going home" isn't an option. But we can use your current goals. How does she plan to finish what the Grandfather started? Does she hope to learn tactical things, or gain diplomatic skills? We can make these an Objective. And then we pattern her goals off of that. What steps will she take to reach the objective? Maybe she decides to work with the PC healers or the diplomats in order to learn from them? Perhaps she volunteers to go out with teams to retrieve things in an effort to learn tactics from the fighters? Now she has a purpose in life! She enters the game with a sense of direction. This allows you to have reasons to get her involved in stories.

You'll need to spend some points in skills.
    Ability 1 and Points Spent: Archery
    Ability 2 and Points Spent: Quick reflexes
    Ability 3 and Points Spent: Ability to calculate quickly in her head

You have 7 you can divide up here. Example of point division for a character:

Ability 1 and Points Spent: Skill A (3 points)
    Ability 2 and Points Spent: Skill B (2 points)
    Ability 3 and Points Spent: Skill C (2 points)

Also use of "paracetamol" instead of "acetaminophen" earns you :hug: These are rare from me. Just ask the PL denizens. But that word threw me back to my college years. Awesomesauce.

I digress.

The writing part comes with experience. I think we can get her built up some more with a little effort. This will flesh her out. She has good bones already. She just needs a good purpose.

Cerillium
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Cerillium » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:14 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:@Cer yup, and here he is!...shortly.

#PLAPP
(Image)
PERSONIFICATION LIFE
CHARACTER APPLICATION 2.0

PLAYER INFORMATION
NS nation nickname: Tilt

Skill Level (beginner, intermediate, advanced): Begiaced

How often can you post? I don't know

Appearance: Caucasian, 6'0", 182 pounds, pale white, bespectacled, often wearing a headscarf.

URL to Character Picture, if any: Mathias

Character Occupation: Naturopath and botanist

Character's biggest strength: A methodical, scientific approach to solving problems.

Character's worst flaw: Extreme pacifism.

OBJECTIVES AND GOALS
Primary Objectives are what drive's your character's actions and their part of the plot. When not engaged in stories, these are what occupy your character's thoughts or keep them busy. Examples include: acting on a desire to become a powerful and respected leader; attempting to overcome some horrible thing in the past which hinders the character on a day-to-day basis; seeking to break out their shell by overcoming profound shyness (getting involved with stories); comping to terms with a major flaw that inhibits the character from reaching full potential; etc.

Minor Goals. These should be an undercurrent for your character when they are engaged in stories or on their free time. They are what your character does to aid them in achieving their Primary Objectives. Examples include: acquiring weapons and becoming proficient with each one; improving sundered relations with a companion; improving their reading comprehension; mastering news spells; researching a cure for a plague; etc.

Primary Objective: Contribute to efforts in the God War (and to Residents in general) as a healer.

Minor Goals: Learn about and catalogue Galli's plant life for his continuing adventures in academia.

MUNDANE SKILLS

List Mundane skills here
  • Cleaning
  • Plant tending

These are specialized skills that set you apart from the average person. You have 7 points to spend here. Examples are swordsmanship, sniper, coercion, medic, spellcraft, piloting helicopter, manipulate water, etc.

• Ability 1 and Points Spent: Acupuncture, 3
  • Ability 2 and Points Spent: Botany, 4

You have 7 points to spend here on supernatural skills or abilities. Sonic Scream, Levitation, Spell Casting, Shape Shifting etc. Superman MUST have his kryptonite thus weaknesses are things which inhibit the ability. Restrictions are what can't they do with their power or what balances it. They can only use it when they genuinely need it? They can't use it for more then five minutes without serious side-effects? Some things are allowed without points. A pegasus has wings thus it can fly. A raptor is fast thus no points are spent in speed. These "natural" abilities should be listed here, however. What isn't allowed: teleportation beyond a few feet; the ability to alter or go back/forward in time. IMPORTANT: You might need a knowledge in Specialized Skills and Talents in order to work these abilities. Example: you'll need "manipulate water" to do just that, and this section is where you record what water manipulation abilities the character has.

• N/A

MAGICAL OR SPECIAL ITEMS

List:

EQUIPMENT
This is what your character has on their person at the very moment when they are pulled from their home dimension. Laptop? Firearm? Cigarettes and matches? Don't abuse this. They won't be clutching an entire bunker.

List:
  • Laptop
  • Digital camera
  • Set of acupuncture needles
  • Various bottles of preservatives, solvents and disinfectants
  • Mortar and pestle
  • Scrapbook with samples of different plants' parts
  • Leather satchel with preserved foodstuffs (one day's supply)
  • One (1) potato, uncooked

BACKGROUND
Be detailed please. You must explain how your character acquired their skills, talents, abilities, and special items. Wrap your primary objectives and goals into it.

Education or Training: Academy of Naturopaths, Postpoc

Character Background/Biography: On Postpoc, Mathias was a drifter by nature who traded family and the bustle of the Ticaret Oasis for a more solitary existence in the Great Khan area five years ago. Although he maintained lodgings in the city proper, he generally struck out to find his own way with the desert nomads, cycling from group to group. Having built trust, bit by bit, he familiarized himself with their speech, ways and traditions, and with what they knew of the wildlife.

On Galli, he finds himself confronting an entirely new and unexpected set of challenges. Here, he trusts in Esma and the other Vagabonds alone, and hopes that they in turn trust him through their shared experiences back on Postpoc.

OTHER GAME MECHANICS
URL to Apartment Picture: (What's the inside of their apartment look like) Like so minus the glass, since it may be underground.

IMPORTANT FINAL STEP:
The nickname you go by on NS: Tilt
Image Link: Mathias
Brief Description for Bio: A pacifistic naturopath and healer.

Looks good. I recall you spending a lot of time fleshing him out in the other games. Please add freebies to his acupuncture to make it 5.

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 pm

Cerillium wrote:Looks good. I recall you spending a lot of time fleshing him out in the other games. Please add freebies to his acupuncture to make it 5.

Will do!
mumblemumblemumble

Granis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Granis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Cerillium wrote:@Tilt. She's good. Are you bringing Mathias in as well?

Granis wrote:Ok, so here's my character app. I feel like I'll get a little lost at this point though, so where and how should I introduce myself if I'm accepted.

CODE: SELECT ALL
#PLAPP
(Image)
PERSONIFICATION LIFE
CHARACTER APPLICATION

PLAYER INFORMATION
NS nation nickname: Granis

Skill Level (beginner, intermediate, advanced): intermediate

How often can you post? So often it might actually be kind of sad. I don't really have much of a life right now.

Appearance:

URL to Character Picture, if any:
http://static.zerochan.net/Doujima.Ryou ... 044660.jpg

Character Occupation: Part time monster hunter, Occasional chef and butcher

Character's biggest strength:
He is decently talented in multiple forms of hand to hand and knife combat, is very skilled with firearms, and is at a near master level in runic enchantment. This is only possible because he poured almost everything he had into this training, knowing that the alternative was near certain death.

[b]Character's biggest weakness:
If it isn't to do with magic, cooking, or combat, he probably has a year eighters level of knowledge with it, having stopped taking notice of most mundane subjects when he started needing to learn magic to survive. He is also fairly shy.

OBJECTIVES
[b]Primary Objectives
are your character's main goals. This should be the thing that drives their part of the plot. When not engaged in stories, these are what occupy your character's thoughts or keep them busy. Examples include: acting on a desire to become a powerful and respected leader; attempting to overcome some horrible thing in the past which hinders the character on a day-to-day basis; seeking to break out their shell by overcoming profound shyness (getting involved with stories); comping to terms with a major flaw that inhibits the character from reaching full potential; etc.

Secondary Objectives are minor goals. These should be an undercurrent for your character when they are engaged in stories or on their free time. Examples include: acquiring weapons and becoming proficient with each one; improving sundered relations with a companion; improving their reading comprehension; mastering news spells; researching a cure for a plague; etc.

Primary Objective: Two years ago, Jacks best friend, Hannah Melville, was dragged through a portal to god knows where while sacrificing herself to prevent a particularly powerful demonic entity from altering the world any further, having already watched their world being combined with the one the demon came from, an act which forever warped it.
While no one in their world had any knowledge of the omniverse, Jack figured that they had to have gone somewhere, and used a massive runic array he made to essentially force himself through space and time. Now he wishes to search the multiverse in order to find Hannah.

Secondary Objectives: While Jack isn't hunting demons, gods, monsters, and dangerous magic users, he takes the time to enjoy cooking, having owned a small stand he made street food at in his spare time back home. Now he has decided to try and amass recipes from all the different worlds, and maybe even becoming the best chef in the entire omniverse, should he find the effort. He also wishes to collect more unique runes he can use, as well as new and interesting firearms.

MUNDANE SKILLS

List Mundane skills here
Can play the drums fairly well
Is an excellent cook
Is a quick reader
Is very good at drawing
An encyclopaedic knowledge of most anime

• Ability 1 and Points Spent: Extensive firearms training, 4
  • Ability 2 and Points Spent: Extensive close combat training, 3

• Ability 1: Runic Array enchantment
    Power Level: 5
    Strengths: Can be used to turn enchant mundane objects with magical power, the effects of which are dependent on the runes used in the array, and are near endless.
    Weaknesses: Must be drawn extremely well, otherwise it can backfire, making it extremely dangerous. This means that, unless the drawer is well defended enough to ensure their safety, runic arrays cannot be drawn in combat, perhaps excluding a few of the most simple ones. Drawing runes on living things, while technically possible, is incredibly dangerous, causing extreme amounts of damage with prolonged use.
    Restrictions: Objects must be large enough to draw the runic array on. This means that, unless the drawer is insanely talented, more complicated runes can only be drawn on large objects.
    Runic arrays generally cannot be activated remotely, unless there are extensive complicated modifications to the array itself, or there is a second array with the singular purpose being to activate the first array remotely, meaning most arrays need to be in contact with the users body to be activated.
    Runic Arrays must also be drawn with a specific, blood-based ink, to ensure that the array stays permanent. If the user wishes to ensure that others cannot activate their arrays, this ink is further limited to being made from the users own blood.

• Ability 2:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:

• Ability 3:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:

• Ability 4:
    Power Level:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Restrictions:
MAGICAL OR SPECIAL ITEMS

List:
An already powerful American sniper rifle, with a reputation for being an exceptional anti-materiel rifle. On top of its normal attributes, Jack has placed two runic enchantments on it, a remote activation array for his bullets, and an array that lessens the effects of gravity on the gun.

Two Enchanted Colt M1911s:
Two secondary pistols Jack keeps on him, both with remote activation arrays on them.

Enchanted M-9 Bayonet:
An enchanted combat knife that Hannah gave Jack when she first dragged him into the business of hunting demons and monsters. It currently has three arrays on it;
one that causes a strong electrical current to run through the blade when charged, one that makes it far more durable, and one that super heats the blade enough for it to cut through most materials easily, with the only reason the blade itself doesn't melt being the array that increases durability.

Enchanted jacket:
Just a normal jacket Jack enchanted, giving it resistances to stabs and slashes, as well as fire. He is still working on inventing an array that allows fabric to be resistant to blunt forces, while still keeping its flexibility.

Multiple cases of enchanted bullets:
Bullets that Jack has drawn arrays on. These can allow them to have elemental effects, or increased their kinetic force, or decrease air resistance, allowing them to fly further..

EQUIPMENT

List:
A large duffle bag full of cooking equipment, most of which are enchanted. These include pots, pans, and a set of knives. There are also a number of thick guidebooks on different runic arrays, so he can keep learning new techniques.

A smaller bag, enchanted to remain 'refrigerated', which contains meat, vegetables, dairy products, and spices.

He also has a number of pockets attached to the inside of his jacket, containing tubes of homemade enchanting ink.

BACKGROUND

Education or Training:
Extensive magical training, specifically in the area of runic enchantment. However, this has caused him to become lax in almost every other area. Took cooking classes, as neither his teacher nor his friend knew how to cook. Also trained extensively with both firearms and close ranged combat.

Character Background/Biography:
Up until the age of fourteen, Jack was a relatively normal kid, knowing nothing more about the occult than any other normal kid. That all changed a few days after his fourteenth birthday, when his eccentric, horrifying and inhumanly strong best friend Hannah Melville accidentally summoned a relatively powerful, young infernal entity, and coerced him into helping her get rid of it. Ever since that day, Jack had been dragged along to fight demons and monsters with Hannah, begrudgingly at first, but slowly coming to accept it as his life.

For the next ten years, he studied magic with Hannah and her legal guardian Marie Lindall, who was a friend of Hannah's father before he died and a powerful mage, known throughout the magical community as 'Lindall the Bomber' after her signature spell, 'Magic Minefield'. While most normal forms of magic proved to be extremely difficult for him, he quickly learned that he had an incredible talent for drawing runic arrays. This coupled with (forced) training with firearms under Marie's tutelage to make up for his lack of spell casting ability has led to him being given the moniker 'The Bullet Mage'. While never particularly well known thanks to efforts to remain out of the larger magic community, those who did know of him respected his skill, particularly mages who worked in the area of runic enchantment themselves.

Unfortunately , when Jack and Hannah were twenty two, a group of cultists summoned a powerful demon, which proceeded to start fusing the world of spirits with the normal human world. However, before irreversible damage could be done, Hannah forced a portal for an entirely different world to open, and sacrificed herself to drag the demon to the other side with her.

For the last two years, Jack has been experimenting on increasingly complicated runic arrays that would allow him to reach the multiverse, and finally succeeded merely two days ago.

OTHER GAME MECHANICS
URL to Apartment Picture: (What's the inside of their apartment look like)
http://kiwi-international-hotel.aucklan ... 12537.JPEG
A small, sparse one room apartment with a decent kitchen, a decent bed and very little else. The painting is something he did himself, as part of the training for creating runes.

Joseph could already see smoke beginning to rise as he neared the city, the telltale sounds of massive guns firing at each other confirming something he already expected.

The battle had already begun.

He could still see dropships flying over the city, knights from both sides dropping in, some shot from the sky before they could reach the ground.

"Damn it!" He shouted. "Salem, change of plans! We're not going to have time to make our presence known as non-combatants! We're going to have to go straight in if we want to find any survivors!"

"But sir, both factions will assume we're enemi-"

"I know, damn it!" He shouted, cutting off the AI. "But if we don't get in there as fast as possible, more people are going to die!"

"Yes sir. Understood."

Almost screaming in frustration, he sped along the road.

The city was walled to keep some of the more dangerous animals of Eden out, so the only ways in were either being dropped in by aircraft, or going through the official entrances.

Official entrances that were almost definitely going to be heavily guarded.

Sure, the battlefield was on the other side of the city, so most of the frontiersmen would probably be on the other side of the city, but still, only idiots wouldn't leave at least one knight there to prevent enemies from catching them from behind.

And, sure enough, there were two frontiersmen knights, directly ahead of him.

And, as expected, they had noticed him.

What a day for Salems communication network to be broken, huh?

He knew they were trying to raise him on their comms because, you know, they hadn't shot at him yet. This quickly changed when he didn't respond, and they were already raising their weapons to fire.

"Salem! Try and shoot their guns!"

"Yes sir."

As he sped towards the entrance, he felt the vibrations of that stupidly powerful machine gun beginning to fire, and watched in satisfaction as the first knights gun was blasted from its hand, the seconds hand being completely blown from the arm.

Before they could regain their balance, Joseph drove Salem between the two knights and into the city.

And no, he didn't care if he had just left the back gate almost completely undefended for the UEC to get in. Maybe then the battle would be over faster.

No, the only thing he cared about right now was getting into the city, finding civilians, and getting them out.

It was all any of these pilots should be thinking about.

IMPORTANT FINAL STEP:
The nickname you go by on NS: Granis
Image Link: http://static.zerochan.net/Doujima.Ryou ... 044660.jpg
Brief Description for Bio: A magic gunman who loves cooking and runic enchantment, and is searching the omniverse for his best friend.

It's a good write-up for a newer RPer. Nice job.

Objectives:
Please keep in mind that I won't allow anyone to travel through time. We have two players with characters capable of it, and both are CoOPs. We do this because we've had too many "oops" moments where a character has gone back in time and accidentally screwed up the present. Your objective (find a lost companion) is good and could lead to eventually bringing that friend in as a character. But pad it a bit. Jack needs a purpose to allow him to fit in. He'll be going on adventures. What would motivate him to be part of a team?

Now for the hard part:
"While Jack isn't hunting demons, gods, monsters, and dangerous magic users..." The entire IC is made up of demons, gods, monsters, and dangerous magic users. The goal in PL is teamwork rather than trying to outdo other players. Most of these beings are old characters with ungodly points in their supernatural skills. Confronting them will be insta-death. How do you intend to have Jack rationalize working with both good and evil entities?

Weapons:
Way too overpowered. I like your idea however. But, since you're at a new level, I highly recommend starting off with something less potent. And picking only one. Also, "no" to the ammo. Pick the weapon or the ammo, but not both.

Let's give him some balance and an idea of how to tweak the weapons. Think of these as more places to spend points, and the weapons as an extension of supernatural abilities. You have 7 total. Distribute them as a breakdown of each weapon's ability.
    An already powerful American sniper rifle, with a reputation for being an exceptional anti-materiel rifle. On top of its normal attributes, Jack has placed two runic enchantments on it, a remote activation array for his bullets (4), and an array that lessens the effects of gravity on the gun (3).
You run out of points after this. You'd also need him to have these arrays under Supernatural.

Skills:
You're going to need to spend points in Runic Magic Lore/Knowledge in order to use Runes in the game. I highly recommend you also spend points in Artist/Scribe/whatever in order to have him draw the Runes, or he's left with doodles inside the loci.

Supernatural:
Ability 1: Runic Array enchantment
Which type? I won't let him use the whole deck. He's still an entry-level character and, like all the others in the IC, he starts off basic and then we build him up over time. I'd suggest picking one or two array as a start. For example, Heartfire array 4 and Eightfold Path array 3. One is offensive, and the other ornamental but still useful. As time goes on, he's able to learn more array (he finds scrolls regarding them, he experiments in the IC to try out different things). I'm not familiar with every array out there, but I suspect you'll want to keep one or two of the ones listed.

What you'll need to do is list the array name, what it does, what counters it, and how it's put into play.

Things I won't allow any non-CoOP characters to do: alter/travel time; jump dimensions. Some players' characters do have this ability but they've worked towards that goal. One of our gods comes to mind here.

The overall concept is solid. I like it. I'd like to see him in play. (All new players usually need application tweaks so please don't feel bad!) If you make adjustments, I'll take a look tomorrow and see how the balance is.

Introduction is painless. Once approved, we'll walk you through his arrival and introduce you to the setting a bit at a time so you don't become too overwhelmed.

Ok, so I will just say that I'm rather tired right now, so I'll probably forget a lot of that, but how about this? I let him keep one of the pistols and the ammo, and I start him off with amnesia due to incorrectly forcing his way between worlds. That way, he won't try dimension hopping again, at least not for a very long time, and he won't remember most of the runes.

Also, could you please give me an example of what you meant with the skills area? I'm not in my most competent state right now, so I'll probably mess it up somehow.

Still, thanks for the feedback!

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
Giovenith wrote:Sharing another interesting video about writing tools. Like others I've shared it's anime-centric but can apply to most other mediums. Just thought it'd be good brain food - it's about Deconstruction and the relatively recent abuse of the term.

It's really common, I think, to confuse dark with realistic, and it's really a detriment to a lot of media. It's not about how depressing or shocking you can make a piece, it's about what you're actually trying to say through those tactics and whether or not it's successfully done so.
she/her

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Giovenith wrote:
Tiltjuice wrote:

It's really common, I think, to confuse dark with realistic, and it's really a detriment to a lot of media. It's not about how depressing or shocking you can make a piece, it's about what you're actually trying to say through those tactics and whether or not it's successfully done so.

Unfortunately so. Shock and awe tends to draw attention more than thought, though.
mumblemumblemumble

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse