NATION

PASSWORD

Personification Life: EPIC (IC Thread XI) [CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:19 pm

RAIDERS of the LOST BOOK

OPERATION: BIBLIOPHILE
DIMENSION: Gallimaufry then 257P
TEAMS: MU
RotLB

Dora stood on the other side of Lumba from Sandy and Nick. The shop held, so far as she could see, a myriad of products. Every possible item under the sun was on the racks, though it was impossible to imagine everything in the totality of everything. She settled for scanning the racks closest to her, seeking out clothing suitable for the time. Or, perhaps - if some of the blinking, complex-looking devices further away were any sign - a holographic disguise? It was possible, given the nature of the store's management.

"Perhaps some machines to create or simulate clothing," she put forth, in a breathy aside.
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:34 pm

OPERATION: ★Sonoran Justice★
DIMENSION: 544C
TEAM: Sakarias, Audette, Katya, and Kale

"Boston, eh? I'd think they'd get their shit together, but...nah, nevermind."

"The NCR ain't too old; started the same way, a bunch of settlements, but we got along, and trade fostered, the same old stuff as any other time in history. We just kind of grew. This here's the frontier, though. Sonoyta's the fringe. I'm just here to keep order."

The sounds of boots clacking on the wooden steps echoed down the street. The ranger slung open the saloon doors, and a gust of smoke and air rolled into the streets. The sounds of an old, familiar song flooded the group's ears. "Big Iron, Marty Robbins.", He chuckled. "That's my song; always reminds me of why I became a Ranger, myself."

Over his shoulder, he spoke. "This place is safe; we should find table if you're looking to get everything settled out. Can't trust many people out at night these days."

Katya finally seemed to react, both to the warning and to the environment of the saloon. Suddenly, she seemed like a kid who had just stepped into the older kids' part of the playground; nearly everyone in the saloon had a gun, like something ripped straight from a Clint Eastwood movie.

And there she was, in her schoolgirls getup with a shiny sword. Audette definitely seemed more at home.
Rostavykhan is my Second Nation.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:02 pm

RAIDERS of the LOST BOOK

RotLB

Lumba's smile only grew bigger as Dora suggested their intended procurement. She tilted her head in a conceding gesture, "Such a tool doesn't come around very often, but I might have something of similar ability."

The Ferengi snapped her fingers, calling for Oecammi Ret Ata-EE who caught the signal and rose from its chair. The Tzenkethi's tall figure floated across the room in an efficient stride, if one could call it that. Oecammi's outfit changed color as the alien approached them. "This one has been summoned," Oecammi bowed her head.

"Yes, dear. It would seem our buyers need a tailoring device to suit their needs. Show her," Lumba gestured lightly at the former Conservator while the feline looking creature remained on Sandy's shoulder, "Our choice selections. I'm sure there's one to fit your needs."

"This one humbly requests you follow," Oecammi Ret Ata-EE bowed its head and gestured toward the other side of the displays, the color of its 'hair' changing to a deep orange from the crimson it was before, while its lengthy outfit changed again, this time back to it's shimmering blue as before.

"Such a helpful little Tzenkethi. It's something of a fascination, what being their ability to change hues at a genetic level," Lumba informed Sandy while staring at her aide. "Quite useful to draw in the crowds, I must admit. Though from Oecammi's point of view, she (he? never quite figured that out), is the least of its people. An EE grading is the lowest rank there is."

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Torii blinked. "You got laboratory equipment to cook with? Um, I might could...help?"

She didn't understand why MB had suddenly brought her to the residence of the chef, who she hadn't seen in quite a long time. She was happy to see a familiar, old face at least. The offer to help set up equipment also sounded fun. It was no raptor lab, but it was something. "Sure, I'll help, I guess.", She said quietly, not entirely enthused, though she didn't want to seem rude and decline.

"What do you need help with, Sir?"
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:06 pm

RAIDERS of the LOST BOOK

RotLB

Sandy nodded enthusiastically at Dora's request, and said so to her. "An excellent idea. I was going to have clothing made from pictures -- of previous occasions." No need to be too specific why they wanted to buy things.

Fvaarniimar wrote:Biometric? Nick didn't quite recognize the term, but biology and metric were familiar. He guessed it might be - he nosed Sandy's ear - <similar to a checkup? But why would they do that for free?>

Sandy shifted his gaze from looking out over the crowd outside to Lumba as she approached, then took a moment to reply to Nick. Lumba probably wants to be certain who we are, and that we're not carrying any built-in weapons or other things that might threaten her. Despite her claim, she may not be sure of our identities, and she probably doesn't know I have a pair of city IDs, one official and the other not. For Nick's benefit, Sandy recalled passing through the checkpoint and showing Kleo an ID on his phone, which she scanned with a device built into her phone.

Fvaarniimar wrote:<I think I will look around! You're not worried it's dangerous in here, right?> If Sandy needed him to stick around, he would, but some of the wares looked fascinating - and oddly familiar.

Mentally, Sandy shook his head while listening to Lumba. In here, it's almost certainly very safe. Lumba may have... hidden weapons, or hidden guards. It's the people outside I worry about, and the way they were looking at the jeep. If you want to hop off, be my guest. I can watch the jeep. Just give me a moment to answer Lumba, plaese.

Mincaldenteans wrote:"Such a helpful little Tzenkethi. It's something of a fascination, what being their ability to change hues at a genetic level," Lumba informed Sandy while staring at her aide. "Quite useful to draw in the crowds, I must admit. Though from Oecammi's point of view, she (he? never quite figured that out), is the least of its people. An EE grading is the lowest rank there is."

Sandy raised an eyebrow at Lumba's mention of genetics, but otherwise simply nodded at what she said. "We happen to be in the market for some... biochemical... alterations of our own. But let me start with what I think is a simpler request. I'm looking for a camera: very discreet, invisible to the naked eye. I was thinking of one contained in a contact lens, so I could photograph what I see. Do you happen to sell such a device?"
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:33 pm

The Building, Lobby

Amanda pulled her eyes away from the bird cage... matchbox... whatever it was... as soon as she could. It was something like being entranced by a horrible car accident: she wanted to tear her gaze away sooner, but couldn't, despite how uneasy it made her. Whatever it was, it was Sandy's department.

Holy Lykos wrote:"I'm in the middle of my doctorate research and project like I mentioned before. I wouldn't wish to leave them hanging while I'm dealing with whatever this business is, and I'm loathe to leave jobs unfinished." [...] "If I cannot I do understand, I suppose this Demens fellow had a reason to abduct us as it was. I don't believe it was actually explained to us, or I might have missed it."

Amanda couldn't help smiling at Demens reason, and the absurity of it colored her voice. "Demens means to save the universe from destruction. The whole thing, all timelines. It's a minor matter, in fact I'm rather surprised he hasn't done it already." The whole thing seemed oddly humorous as she said it.

"To summarize his summary, the cosmic forces of destruction are overwhelming the ones of creation and rearrangement. He's one of the forces of rearrangement: a Chaotic Greater Being, a thing greater than gods. For some reason, Demens needs or wants a small group of people, his 'Chosen', to help him. I'm not sure how he intends for us to do that. Maybe we're cannon fodder. Maybe we can pull some trick he can't. Either way, that's why you're here."

Amanda mentally counted three to let Venla take that in, then continued. "However, Demens has recently been letting people pursue their own aims elsewhere in the multiverse, so long as they somehow benefit his aims. Sandy is looking for a book of magical theory. That's why he's heading for Alexandria. If your research will somehow help Demens, I'm sure he'll have the Guardians let you go. Oh, the Guardians control all access to this private universe."

Saldinado wrote:"Thank you again mad-I mean Amanda. I'll hopefully see you later" He said as he began to leave.

Danceria wrote:Resolved to have the basic necessities of life resolved, he quickly went back downstairs to find Mrs. Amanda. [...] He had numerous questions for her, first and foremost "What is this place exactly...?"

As Amanda excused herself from Venla and called out "You're welcome" to one departing newcomer, another returned. She gave him a quizzical look. "Back so soon? Everything all right in your apartment? They're usually precisely as their renters want them."

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:The Building, Lobby

Amanda pulled her eyes away from the bird cage... matchbox... whatever it was... as soon as she could. It was something like being entranced by a horrible car accident: she wanted to tear her gaze away sooner, but couldn't, despite how uneasy it made her. Whatever it was, it was Sandy's department.

Holy Lykos wrote:"I'm in the middle of my doctorate research and project like I mentioned before. I wouldn't wish to leave them hanging while I'm dealing with whatever this business is, and I'm loathe to leave jobs unfinished." [...] "If I cannot I do understand, I suppose this Demens fellow had a reason to abduct us as it was. I don't believe it was actually explained to us, or I might have missed it."

Amanda couldn't help smiling at Demens reason, and the absurity of it colored her voice. "Demens means to save the universe from destruction. The whole thing, all timelines. It's a minor matter, in fact I'm rather surprised he hasn't done it already." The whole thing seemed oddly humorous as she said it.

"To summarize his summary, the cosmic forces of destruction are overwhelming the ones of creation and rearrangement. He's one of the forces of rearrangement: a Chaotic Greater Being, a thing greater than gods. For some reason, Demens needs or wants a small group of people, his 'Chosen', to help him. I'm not sure how he intends for us to do that. Maybe we're cannon fodder. Maybe we can pull some trick he can't. Either way, that's why you're here."

Amanda mentally counted three to let Venla take that in, then continued. "However, Demens has recently been letting people pursue their own aims elsewhere in the multiverse, so long as they somehow benefit his aims. Sandy is looking for a book of magical theory. That's why he's heading for Alexandria. If your research will somehow help Demens, I'm sure he'll have the Guardians let you go. Oh, the Guardians control all access to this private universe."

Saldinado wrote:"Thank you again mad-I mean Amanda. I'll hopefully see you later" He said as he began to leave.

Danceria wrote:Resolved to have the basic necessities of life resolved, he quickly went back downstairs to find Mrs. Amanda. [...] He had numerous questions for her, first and foremost "What is this place exactly...?"

As Amanda excused herself from Venla and called out "You're welcome" to one departing newcomer, another returned. She gave him a quizzical look. "Back so soon? Everything all right in your apartment? They're usually precisely as their renters want them."

Sully smiled upon seeing her again "The apartment was wonderful...but I am curious as to life outside of it, and well rules." he flipped open his notebook "You mentioned two towns outside of the Building, how am I able to get to there?" he began "Is there currency in this world, if so, how can I get it? Like through jobs, bank accounts, investments, and so on." he flipped through his notes "Lastly are there any rules in regards to the apartment? Curfew, substances, loud parties, louder pets...the usual things involved with living." he looked up at her "I apologize if I'm bombarding you with too many questions, but as someone whose been thrown headfirst into a strange new world, I'd like very much to know how it works." He decided to refrain from asking about Torii, he didn't want to seem like a stalker, but he would ask about a Councillor and go that route to help her.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Venla seemed to be contemplating what the human said for a bit, while she spoke with the others. Especially this thing about something greater than gods, something Venla and most of her race had long since given up belief in. The fanatical nations they shared borders with always decried their state sponsored Atheism as entirely in the wrong, even if they themselves disagreed in the nature of the divine. Were they wrong, in actuality? If their old gods had proven to be true during some of their toughest times the course of their history would have been greatly altered. But trust in science and rationaliaty over faith triumphed, and with planetary and species unification they'd all but abandoned the old beliefs in the gods of the Dark Ocean, what they used to call outer space.

"Interesting.... I do suppose its an honor to be chosen, though I doubt a student like myself could do very much. I'm not a soldier, nor a holy... woman, I believe the equivalent is for your language. All I know is how to deal with other races peaceably and deconstruct linguistics. Of course other things related to xenology but for something like this, the fate of all universes? I doubt I could be much use. Is it possible Demens took the wrong being?" She asked with a slight grunt to her voice. The expression on her face was unreadable as always. Being an alien would do that, though she seemed more confused than anything with how she spoke and held herself.

"Though I do suppose if he wants to save everything from destruction.....What I was doing would be directly in the line of duty. I'd been trying to find out why there was such a marked rise in xenophobia among the Xo'Lokako, to the point that ethnic and city based civil wars were erupting among their nations. Its strange in that very little should be able to influence a primitive society on such a global scale, especially when some of those nations have never had contact before!

"I was assigned to find anything out of place in the largest empire they have, though almost as soon as I arrive I found myself here. Just strangeness ontop of strangeness."

She let out a soft huff and seemed to realize something. She pulled a device out of a hidden pocket in her tunic, using her tentacles to tweak a few things before an electronic hum started for a bit. The alien disappeared for a moment, before in her place was a human. Admittedly quite tall for a woman, with dark skin, blue eyes and black hair. She looked to be quite strong, and wearing clothes reminicent of Star Trek. "How we manage to blend in on their planet. Obviously my species' appearance is quite notable, so we developed ways to use technology to camouflage among those who prefer to not see it. Usually as their own species. Though it it just a glorified hologram, I'm still here under the hologram, and if the device glitches It'll show my true appearance again."
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Ganonsyoni
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganonsyoni » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Kale was intrigued and confused by the information. First off, Western United States? Was her referring to the United States of Columbia? I mean, Texico had plenty of desert, so it would make sense. Arizona-Mexico border gave her more information though, but still confused here. Arizona was part of Mexico. Did he mean the border between Arizona and the rest of the Mexican states? So they were in Arizona, but in the United States of Columbia. This confused her until she remembered they were in a different universe entire. Sakarias's to be precise. One with a different timeline that her own. It still shocked a bit though, given that none of the history she knew applied at all. At least her people still existed, which relieved her a bit.

She eased up when Sakarias explained what "tribal" meant in his world. So nomadic/semi-nomadic peoples. I mean, her people were nomadic for a good part of their history and some still maintain that life style, or at least a semi-nomadic one, before industrial technology and giant cities. This clothing was made for that kind of lifestyle in fact. So it made more sense to her for her to be seen as "tribal". Still, the whole "haven't retained civilization" part rubbed her the wrong way, but she let it off. This was a different and foreign universe to her. Culture shock was bound to happen. She would let the word slide.

"Thanks Sakarias," Kale said to him, giving him an eased smile. The tension from the situation disappeared, as it was now clear to the ranger that they weren't a threat. In fact, it seems he was guiding them to the first stop in town, a saloon. Kale walked in with the rest of the crew, but froze before walking in further, culture shock and a tinge of fear hitting her. Practically every person in the saloon carried a gun. Rifles and shotguns strung across the backs, side-arms tucked into holsters. Big revolvers, semi-auto pistols, and small bulky metal boxes with triggers that looked somewhat like pistols (laser pistol for those who knew). There was even a large machine gun (Browning .50 cal for those who knew) sitting beside one heavy set man. She read the word "Jenny" carved into the top of the man's machine gun, a name for it?!

The gun-filled saloon freaked her out. She stepped back, bumping into Katya in the process. "Sorry!" she said to the woman, blushing red with embarrassment. The girl was so out of her element here. Everything was so foreign, different, and scary from what she knew and grew up with.
New and Improved version of "The Carlisle"
MtF transperson, goes by she/her/hers
Call me Carly

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” - Orwell

"I'm a god damn Sage"

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:36 pm

Sakarias frowned, glancing around the Saloon. Despite the cold weather gear, he seemed to fit right in. In fact... He realized he probably looked pretty stupid like this, so took off his hat and scarf, tucking them under his arm, and undid his jacket and shirt. He still looked out of place, but that was mostly due to his appearance as a synth. He knew he'd get some funny looks but at the same time he knew these people probably would respect strength or accuracy with a gun more than appearances.

"Nice town you have here. We had some troubles back east preventing any sort of cooperation for a good while, though I'd heard word the DC area's been united for at least a decade or so. By the same notion the Pitt has been around for a good while, but I don't really consider slavers a real civilization." The synth seemed safe to assume this world was the same as his, since he hadn't seen anything against it yet. Like he would, with how far away they were from his stomping grounds!

"What kinds of alcohol do you have out here? Some of my companions might want a bit of relaxing after our trip here. Doesn't seem to be a real town past the Midwest!" He at least assumed that fact, since, well, he'd never heard of anything past it even in rumors. That one Kellog guy had been reportedly from out west but never spoke of it, so little was known of wherever he had come from, and with the tribal dominated Midwest information rarely traveled very far.
Last edited by Holy Lykos on Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:"Interesting.... I do suppose its an honor to be chosen, though I doubt a student like myself could do very much. I'm not a soldier, nor a holy... woman, I believe the equivalent is for your language. All I know is how to deal with other races peaceably and deconstruct linguistics. Of course other things related to xenology but for something like this, the fate of all universes? I doubt I could be much use. Is it possible Demens took the wrong being?" She asked with a slight grunt to her voice. The expression on her face was unreadable as always. Being an alien would do that, though she seemed more confused than anything with how she spoke and held herself."

Amanda gave the xeno a sympathetic look, letting her feelings show through the professional mask she put on to man the desk. Her tone was much the same. "I used to think the same thing about myself. Why would Demens need a mundane lawyer, when there are gods living in the Building? I wondered if he really just wanted Sandy, and I was literally along for the ride. We were hopping between worlds by magic when Demens grabbed our jeep from... from wherever things go when they're between timelines." Amanda wasn't sure what she meant by that. Even Sandy didn't understand how Hypatia's ritual worked, so she had no hope of comprehension.

"But since then, I've discovered that there's just as much call for lawyers as anybody else here. Perhaps that's a side effect of there being so many supers in one place, but it works out just the same. It's even possible Demens himself is just collecting interesting people 'just in case', the same way there are men who have workrooms full of tools they've never touched, just in case. It's hard to tell."

Holy Lykos wrote:"Though it it just a glorified hologram, I'm still here under the hologram, and if the device glitches It'll show my true appearance again."

Amanda nodded, then showed a slight smile. "That's a useful gadget. There are spellcasters here with better illusions, and a few kinds of shapeshifters, too. But for a technological device, it's pretty good."

Amanda raised a finger for a moment's pardon from Venla, then turned to the princeling as he launched into an interrogation.

Danceria wrote:"You mentioned two towns outside of the Building, how am I able to get to there?" he began "Is there currency in this world, if so, how can I get it? Like through jobs, bank accounts, investments, and so on." he flipped through his notes "Lastly are there any rules in regards to the apartment? Curfew, substances, loud parties, louder pets...the usual things involved with living." he looked up at her "I apologize if I'm bombarding you with too many questions, but as someone whose been thrown headfirst into a strange new world, I'd like very much to know how it works."

"Whoa! Whoawhoawhoa!" Amanda raised both hands in a stop gesture. After he stopped, she lowered her arms, using them to prop herself up on the back edge of the front desk, and grinned at him: a thought had occurred to her. "First lesson on cross-examination: let the witness answer one question before asking another question. Otherwise, you get gibberish, and opposing counsel may object on the grounds that you're trying to confuse their witness."

Amanda straightened up and ran a hand through her curls before answering: where to start? Aha! "Let me start with the rules question. There aren't a lot of them. You can pretty much do anything you want in your own apartment. In practical terms, each one exists in its own little world. The reality is more complicated, and I don't pretend to understand it. The effect, though, is that we had a powerful explosion her a week ago that damaged a couple of floors. That's the only thing I've seen affect other apartments. The Building is meant to survive things worse than nuclear attacks."

"I doubt anybody would care what hours you keep, or what you inject or snort. Some might care what sort of alcohol you drink, but that's simply a matter of checking if you have good taste."

"I'd recommend being a good guy to the other Residents, though. Some are quite powerful. The really powerful ones seem to have good senses of humor, but I imagine you could push them too far."

There was a noticeable pause before Amanda spoke again. Evidently, she practiced what she preached: not too much at once. "The Burrows is just a twenty minute walk down the road. Ascalon's an hour drive. You can do some window shopping in the Burrows, but since you don't have any money..." There was no need to finish her sentence.

"The money itself is coinage made by Demens. Can't be duplicated by science or magic, probably because this is Demens' playground. I'd show you some of the coins, but my purse is upstairs. I can't show you the electronic currencies Ascalon uses either, because my phone's up there too. Do you know what Bitcoin is? They're like that."

Amanda crossed her arms, looking the Arab over, giving him a professional appraisal. "From your questions, I'd say there's a good chance you want to know how you can get some cash, so you can get back to living the high life. So, what can you do? If you tell me, I might be able to tell you where to look for work."

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Holy Lykos wrote:"Interesting.... I do suppose its an honor to be chosen, though I doubt a student like myself could do very much. I'm not a soldier, nor a holy... woman, I believe the equivalent is for your language. All I know is how to deal with other races peaceably and deconstruct linguistics. Of course other things related to xenology but for something like this, the fate of all universes? I doubt I could be much use. Is it possible Demens took the wrong being?" She asked with a slight grunt to her voice. The expression on her face was unreadable as always. Being an alien would do that, though she seemed more confused than anything with how she spoke and held herself."

Amanda gave the xeno a sympathetic look, letting her feelings show through the professional mask she put on to man the desk. Her tone was much the same. "I used to think the same thing about myself. Why would Demens need a mundane lawyer, when there are gods living in the Building? I wondered if he really just wanted Sandy, and I was literally along for the ride. We were hopping between worlds by magic when Demens grabbed our jeep from... from wherever things go when they're between timelines." Amanda wasn't sure what she meant by that. Even Sandy didn't understand how Hypatia's ritual worked, so she had no hope of comprehension.

"But since then, I've discovered that there's just as much call for lawyers as anybody else here. Perhaps that's a side effect of there being so many supers in one place, but it works out just the same. It's even possible Demens himself is just collecting interesting people 'just in case', the same way there are men who have workrooms full of tools they've never touched, just in case. It's hard to tell."

Holy Lykos wrote:"Though it it just a glorified hologram, I'm still here under the hologram, and if the device glitches It'll show my true appearance again."

Amanda nodded, then showed a slight smile. "That's a useful gadget. There are spellcasters here with better illusions, and a few kinds of shapeshifters, too. But for a technological device, it's pretty good."

Amanda raised a finger for a moment's pardon from Venla, then turned to the princeling as he launched into an interrogation.

Danceria wrote:"You mentioned two towns outside of the Building, how am I able to get to there?" he began "Is there currency in this world, if so, how can I get it? Like through jobs, bank accounts, investments, and so on." he flipped through his notes "Lastly are there any rules in regards to the apartment? Curfew, substances, loud parties, louder pets...the usual things involved with living." he looked up at her "I apologize if I'm bombarding you with too many questions, but as someone whose been thrown headfirst into a strange new world, I'd like very much to know how it works."

"Whoa! Whoawhoawhoa!" Amanda raised both hands in a stop gesture. After he stopped, she lowered her arms, using them to prop herself up on the back edge of the front desk, and grinned at him: a thought had occurred to her. "First lesson on cross-examination: let the witness answer one question before asking another question. Otherwise, you get gibberish, and opposing counsel may object on the grounds that you're trying to confuse their witness."

Amanda straightened up and ran a hand through her curls before answering: where to start? Aha! "Let me start with the rules question. There aren't a lot of them. You can pretty much do anything you want in your own apartment. In practical terms, each one exists in its own little world. The reality is more complicated, and I don't pretend to understand it. The effect, though, is that we had a powerful explosion her a week ago that damaged a couple of floors. That's the only thing I've seen affect other apartments. The Building is meant to survive things worse than nuclear attacks."

"I doubt anybody would care what hours you keep, or what you inject or snort. Some might care what sort of alcohol you drink, but that's simply a matter of checking if you have good taste."

"I'd recommend being a good guy to the other Residents, though. Some are quite powerful. The really powerful ones seem to have good senses of humor, but I imagine you could push them too far."

There was a noticeable pause before Amanda spoke again. Evidently, she practiced what she preached: not too much at once. "The Burrows is just a twenty minute walk down the road. Ascalon's an hour drive. You can do some window shopping in the Burrows, but since you don't have any money..." There was no need to finish her sentence.

"The money itself is coinage made by Demens. Can't be duplicated by science or magic, probably because this is Demens' playground. I'd show you some of the coins, but my purse is upstairs. I can't show you the electronic currencies Ascalon uses either, because my phone's up there too. Do you know what Bitcoin is? They're like that."

Amanda crossed her arms, looking the Arab over, giving him a professional appraisal. "From your questions, I'd say there's a good chance you want to know how you can get some cash, so you can get back to living the high life. So, what can you do? If you tell me, I might be able to tell you where to look for work."

Suleiman smirked at the Counsellor's reference to legal cases...perhaps she was more than just a consultant...

"Yeah. Finding a stable source of cash would be nice." he chuckled "As for jobs...let's see...I left my resume on the other side of the portal, so I'll give you the fast version." he chuckled "I worked as an auto-repairman in Edrine Turkey, pretty good with my hands and I can fix up a car pretty good, I've been a game dealer in the Clemont Club in the UK, also helped start up About the Fit's UK front and by proxy its European and Middle-Eastern branches. So that's entertainment, hands on mechanics, and investing." he paused and cocked his head "I'm great with people and systems, working hands on is my forte. My prouder accomplishments and what I want to do professionally is either own a casino, or maybe be an investor. Probably the casino because the house always wins." he chuckles "Other than that, I'm pretty open to learning new things. I've lived as a bum more or less for five years, so don't write me off as a prince who doesn't want to get his hands dirty. But my main question is this: is there any public transport I can use to get to either the Burrows or Ascalon?"

Actually that wasn't my main question, he thought somberly, and the mention of the explosion reminded him of his goal. He still couldn't figure out why this girl stuck out to him...it was a gut feeling that persisted, an acquired instinct of recognizing people who have been through tough times, and need someone by their side. It also didn't help that he had a reckless sense of empathy, social norms be damned.

The Arab man held his tongue until he finds the councilor, if there was a councilor. Some things he can't do alone, and without information he'll be doing more harm than good.
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:51 pm

Venla smiled and gave off a barking sort of laugh, the human form conveying the emotions she was feeling in a more understandable manner to them. "Magic's real too? This is quite the interesting day, is it not?" She shook her head, before the hologram shut off and she returned to her form, and it to her pocket. "So, everything of legend's real I can assume? Interesting!"

She fell onto all fours, walking her way over towards the stairs, assuming she would be too large for the elevators. "Is there like... A noticeboard I could put up some information on? I'm curious if anyone here would be kind, and unoccupied enough to join me trying to save that planet's life. I have the feeling it could be useful to bring some people along to help, with the varied skills and backgrounds here. Might even make it easier to figure out what's causing it." She asked, nodding her head softly.

"Uh... Sully, Suleiman, was it? If you're looking for something to do this could be a chance to make a bit of money. At least money for where I am from. We do contract people to help us every so often and you seem charismatic enough to help. Or at least you're human and we have versions of the device I showed that work with your physiology as well."
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Saldinado
Minister

Founded: Oct 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Saldinado » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:56 pm

In the apartment 4E laid the young boy Henry. He was on the couch of the apartment taking a nap. The poor boy was so tired that he didn't even bother to check out the rest of his apartment. Some time has passed, though how long was the question. It was either a few minutes or a few hours. But overall, Henry finally began to wake up from his quick slumber; slowly opening his eyes he closed them again at the sight of the bright light above. He wanted to just sleep forever. Even if it was a small cat nap, it was one of the best ones he had in years. No alarm to wake him up or places to go. Just him and the quietness.

Once he was finally able to open his eyes, Henry rose his upper body off the couch and looked around at his surroundings. "Oh yeah. I almost forgot where I was." He said to him as he finally got his whole body off the couch. As got up, he began to thoroughly think about the situation he was in. He needed answers, and hopefully the ones that he became acquainted with can help provide some. Yawning and stretching a little loudly and over-dramatically, Henry began to walked out his apartment room and go downstairs to the lobby area.

Once he made it, he noticed that the usual people were still down there. Amanda, Sully, and Venla. They looked like they were in the middle of a conversation. Walking over there, Henry politely stood next to Amanda and waited for everyone to finish what they were talking about before speaking himself. His parents always told him not to interrupt people when they were talking and say "excuse me" to get their attention. But Henry was too scared to say "excuse me," so he waited until they either acknowledged him or they finished up what they were doing.
You do you. And I'll do me. And we won't do each other. Probably.- Mark Fischbach

We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.- Albert Einstein

Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book, and remembering-because you can't take it in all at once.- Audrey Hepburn

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade....And try to find someone whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.-Ron White

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like 'whaaat?'-Phil Dunphy

Primordial Luxa
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Primordial Luxa » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:02 pm

RAIDERS of the LOST BOOK

RotLB

Primordial ideally strolled from shelf to shelf taking a look at the various curios and oddities present with a mixture of pleasant emotions. It was a joy to be in such an exotic metropolitan shop where exotic goods were the norm.

When Lumba spoke up Primordial responded with a quick glance before turning back to the pack shelves which had enraptured his attention. He tried not to take up too much of their host’s time since he wanted Sandy to be able to quickly get his own things.

“Yes. I have a quick question. Do you have section for books, scrolls and other written work? I am interesting in something concerning local metaphysics or science around these parts. Is that something you can help me with?”
Swith Witherward wrote:But I trust the people here. Well, except Prim. He has shifty eyes but his cute smile make up for it.

Monfrox wrote:But it's not like we've known Prim to really stick with normality...

P2TM wrote:HORROR/THRILLER Winner - Community Choice Award For Favorite Horror/Thriller Player: Primordial Luxa

Factbook (underconstruction)
Personification Life and GAU Posts
Luxan Imperial Narcotics (The ONLY narcotics store on GE&T)

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:Venla smiled and gave off a barking sort of laugh, the human form conveying the emotions she was feeling in a more understandable manner to them. "Magic's real too? This is quite the interesting day, is it not?" She shook her head, before the hologram shut off and she returned to her form, and it to her pocket. "So, everything of legend's real I can assume? Interesting!"

She fell onto all fours, walking her way over towards the stairs, assuming she would be too large for the elevators. "Is there like... A noticeboard I could put up some information on? I'm curious if anyone here would be kind, and unoccupied enough to join me trying to save that planet's life. I have the feeling it could be useful to bring some people along to help, with the varied skills and backgrounds here. Might even make it easier to figure out what's causing it." She asked, nodding her head softly.

"Uh... Sully, Suleiman, was it? If you're looking for something to do this could be a chance to make a bit of money. At least money for where I am from. We do contract people to help us every so often and you seem charismatic enough to help. Or at least you're human and we have versions of the device I showed that work with your physiology as well."

Sully paused for a moment.

While he would jump at the moment to see new worlds and help people, he just arrived in a new place and wanted to explore. Plus, in all honesty, he was not up to the challenge or responsibility of an entire planet.

However, it would be an opportunity to get to know some people here, and he would make quick cash, something he needed now.

To settle the matter, the Arab turned to Venla and politely smiled "I'm afraid I'll have to wait and see before I go forth on an alien expedition." he answered "I would like time to prepare, learn more about where it is we're going, and seeing if other people are intent to help you." he paused, thinking about the monetary reward. "On one condition...I will accept a payment that is no greater than a month's rent in this apartment complex." he decided "I do not wish to do this for strictly monetary reasons, I'm not that kind of person. I hope I'm not offending any customs by dictating what I want out of a job."

Politeness was something the Arab was good at, despite his residence the past few years, however with aliens meant alien customs, which meant that a gesture that would be polite or at the very least harmless could be highly offensive to another species.

Once again, Suleiman trusts in Lady Luck to help him through, because he's done all that he could do in terms of politeness.
Obligatory Quotes below

Swith Witherward
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Swith Witherward » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:53 am

You ask me to talk about something that's important to me, and then you tack on that you don't have time to listen, and I'm stuck doing shit on my own alone. The hell, man? Do you know what's important to me? My Giovenith. Remember her? The godling with the prismatic hair and a laugh so silvery that angels smile every time it touches heaven? Yeah, that godling. She's gone. I'm alone. Fuck you all.

The coffee cup splintered into cheap porcelain shards as it slammed against the wall. The sound was somewhat pleasing to Marcus, but this dance had been going on most of the night. The young priest lifted his head to take in his dismantled apartment. Books were strewn everywhere, most of them missing their pages. The loose sheaves were snow that blanketed the floor and the cushions on Naomi's old couch. He tore them because they were paper, and because paper reminded him of her.

I tore them because I have no other means to lash out. I have nothing. I want to feel nothing. A swipe of his mechanical arm sent the coffee canister flying. It spewed grounds across the carpet to mark its path. He didn't care.

Paper rustled in protest as his boots carried him around the counter and into the kitchen, though he wasn't in any mood to eat. He was simply going through the motions, from bedroom to kitchen and back again, in the futile attempt to recapture some normalcy. But there wasn't any. There isn't any fucking normalcy in my fucking life. Fuck this!

The air whistled around exposed joints as his cybernetic fist connected with the wall. He tore it away, taking drywall with it, and stared into the hole. This Building took her from me. This piece of shit place in the middle of Buttfuckery Nowhere. I hate it as surely as I hate my own existence. He retracted his fist and struck again, and new holes joined the ones made yesterday and the day before.

Marcus sighed as he cast his eyes downwards and caught sight of the plaster dust on his boots. He'd spent all morning polishing them up only to once again coat them. He had no one to blame, of course. He did it. It was his hand that drove holes through Naomi's apple-festooned wallpaper.

"I'm sorry, Mama," he breathed but regretted speaking the words a heartbeat after. She had been a mother to him, true, but his birth mother... was gone. Fucking gone, just like that, and with his birth father in tow. And frankly, his birth father seemed a fuckton more nice than his foster father, Thaddeus.

Thinking of the old cyborg caused even more regret. He'd treated the old man like shit for so many years. He balked at the man's suggestions. He threw fits when told he wasn't allowed to do something. Marcus honestly didn't know why Thaddeus put up with him, though he had always assumed it was because he was the old man's flesh and blood. Somehow the knowledge that the man raised him out of unrequited love for his birth mother made things all the more depressing. Guilt wrapped itself around his heart once more. Deflated, with shoulders slowly drooping to match the burdens pressing his spirit into the dirt, Marcus could only stare at the hole.

The hot sting of salty tears brought him a newfound sense of loss. His step mother, his natural parents, and his girlfriend... his beautiful goddess with her funny outfit and vibrant hair, and a smile that took his breath away... gone. All gone. Forever, perhaps. At least, Giovenith was probably forever. If Klaus hadn't survived that blast, there was no fucking way in hell that she had. Klaus was an experienced god. Hell, if life were a role play then Klaus was the Gary Stu son of a bitch that always turned up unscathed due to being so mother fucking overpowered. But this wasn't a game. This was real, and that reality gnawed on what was left of his decrepit spirit.

He hiked a leg and kicked out, flipping the table and all his creations to the tiles. They weren't for him anyway. He'd been working on them for her. But why bother now? He doubted she even got the last one, the tiny candle with its intricate mechanisms. He'd left it hanging in gift bag on her apartment doorknob, but that was right before all fucking hell broke loose. He'd forgotten to ask her if she even liked it.

Organic fingertips swept through disheveled hair. It had grown out a bit, but Naomi wasn't around to trim it into a priest's customary buzz cut. He refused to seek her out. She was probably busy comforting Minerva. And he? He hadn't even bothered to seek his own reflection in the mirror for several days. All he saw reflected back at him was the traitor fool that hesitated instead of following Giovenith onto the hospital floor. He could have refused to ferry shit up the stairs for Thaddeus. Maybe if he had... maybe he would have died, too, but his death would have been his last labor of love. He would have shielded her from as much of the blast as he could. Let his body flame into ash, if it meant one last embrace.

"Omnissiah! Way'd you take my Giovenith?" The hand trembled as he lowered it, and then the fist balled. The wall was spared, however. He'd bled the last of his anger from his system and only apathy remained. "I'm so sorry, Giovenith. I'm so sorry. If you can hear me, I'm so sorry."

Did dead gods hear murmured prayers? Probably not. Dead is dead, and permadeath was the bitch whore that throttled every man's fantasy of bright futures filled with laughing wives, silly children, and a happy retirement. "We were gonna sit in that room. The tent lied. It lied, Giovenith. And all your dragons..."

The memory of the vision drew a staggered breath from him.

He had to get out for a while. He had to step away from the chaos inside the apartment. But where to go? He began to pace, unknowingly acting out a trait so habitual for his birth father during times of crisis. His first inclination was to seek Professor Bela out. He didn't know why other than perhaps the man, being a healer, could balm his heart for a bit. But the Prof was undoubtedly busy. He had a wife, and a purpose, and thus all the things that Marcus now coveted. Thaddeus was out of the question. The man's response to every pain was to bury himself in more work. Keep busy. Don't think about shit.

"Tora, where are you?" But she was absent from the halls these days. She was probably grieving as well. Marcus would respect that. He had to. She didn't need his burden on top of her own.

A soft scuffling at the front door drew him from his sad thoughts. He brushed the drywall dust from his robes and mustered his resolve. It was probably a cultist, or maybe Kale. Fuck, he wasn't in the mood for crazy antics or silly plant girls.

The door cracked open to reveal the one creature he hadn't expected to find - Turtleboss. The oversized waterbear gurgled as it waddled forward. And then it extended its mouth parts and chomped down on his leg.

"Fuck! You bastard!"

Though it was impossible for the waterbear to actually bite through the metal casing, it set off the sensors meshed with his nerves and registered as pain nonetheless. The waterbear lurched and bit the opposite leg, then squatted to tinkle a puddle on the doormat.

"Turtleboss, you shithead!" Resolved to stomp the thing into oblivion even though it was his dead girlfriend's pet, he stormed into the hall.

Turtleboss beat a hasty retreat to the far end of the hall. Fat legs and sharp claws splayed. He growled in challenge, and Marcus responded with an angry scream. "I'll fucking kick you into oblivion, you bastard!"

The waterbear growled again and then, not wanting to be at the receiving end of the priest's wrath, skittered towards the stairs and took flight. For a waterbear, he moved like the wind. Marcus slammed his apartment door with enough force to knock a picture off the wall inside the apartment, then tore after him.

He remained oblivious to the angry shouts from Residents and the pair raced down halls and up stairs. It wasn't until Marcus was nearly winded that the creature slowed at all. The waterbear squealed and pivoted, and then crashed through the bottom portion of an apartment door. Marcus paused in shock - mostly due to the sudden bill for damages that landed atop his head. He snatched it and crumpled it, then forced his way into the unknown apartment via a powerful slam of his shoulder and side. The door opened without any resistance, and he stumbled into the room in time to hear-

"What do you need help with, Sir?"

"Er-" Marcus hadn't thought things through far enough to consider someone could be on the other side of the door. His tear-redden eye and dusty optic latched onto Tora, and then traveled to take in Cuisine the Chef. The damaged door became the manifestation of all his failures. "I'm sorry," he stammered, echoing his grief from earlier. "I'm so sorry. I'll... I'll pay for the door, Cuisine. I'm... s-sorry. I'll go... sorry."

Turtleboss crooned. Mission almost accomplished. He waddled towards the equipment. A soft thud caught Marcus' attention. Was he supposed to help? Was this like a sign or something? The waterbear had brought him to the two people that could best ease his pain - the plucky girl who made him laugh, and the crazy chef that never turned up unless someone was in great need. Turtleboss drew a sigh from him as the waterbear slapped his face against the equipment again.

"Alright. I understand," Marcus, humbled, set his vision upon his dusty boots once more. "I take back what I said, Turtleboss." And then he pushed aside some of his self-loathing and hoped to Omnissiah that the chef had a sense of humor about the damage. "I- do you want help, Cuisine?"
★ Senior P2TM RP Mentor ★
How may I help you today?
TG Swith Witherward
Why is everyone a social justice warrior?
Why didn't any of you choose a different class,
like social justice mage or social justice thief?
P2TM Mentor & Personal Bio: Gentlemen, Behold!
Raider Account Bio: The Eternal Bugblatter Fennec of Traal!
Madhouse
Role Play
& Writers Group
Anti-intellectual elitism: the dismissal of science, the arts,
and humanities and their replacement by entertainment,
self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility. - sauce

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:49 pm

There was nothing like the sudden and unexpected explosion of half of a door that terrified Torii more. She froze and instantly went on the defensive. The building was about to explode again, wasn't it? She knew it was. She needed to-

No, it wasn't happening again. It was...it was someone else. No, it's was Marcus. Marcus? The voice registered in her head, and her heart began to beat nearly out of her chest. It wasn't danger; it was her friend, the one person she needed, who she could trust with anything in the world.
"Marcus!", Her jaw dropped; he looked so disheveled, though she was hardly in any better shape with her thin body and tired eyes, or her shaky, clammy frame. They both had been grieving. Torii wondered if he'd stayed in his room, too.

Torii squeezed MB, then unexpectedly swung her arms open as she broke into an excited dash across the several feet of floor between them. She practically knocked the boy over, and before he could say anything else, her arms were around him and her face buried into his neck. She continued to mumble his name over and over again while hot tears ran down her cheeks. She was eager to find release in her friend. Why hadn't she been able to find him that week? She didn't blame him. He was there now, and that was all she could have hoped for.

She probably wasn't going to let go of him very easily. She didn't want to. She'd found a new safe space.

"If you can drink it, we got it.", The Ranger said. "So, how 'bout we have a seat?"

"Target locked"

There was indeed one table that was open, in a far, dark corner of the room. It was just out of the way and hidden enough to give a good amount of privacy, which was probably for the best with the entire group; the entire saloon had seemed to stop to look at them. Katya didn't reply to Kale. Her throat caught. She was choking hard.

"What's goin' on, y'all?", The Ranger swung his arms open. A few friendly people raised their glasses, and others waved as the saloon immediately fell back into conversation. He shrugged and continued speaking to Sakarias. "Yeah, traveling across the continent isn't too common, but it can be done. Heard the Brotherhood of Steel sent a fleet of airships over the Rockies decades back, and then a few more not thirty years ago. Resilient folks, the Brotherhood."

Katya eased up, just a little. She was shaking, just enough that it was noticeable to Kale. She was nervous.
Last edited by Torsiedelle on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Sakarias tried to coral the others to head towards that table, noting how shaken Katya seemed to be. He should have told her to change for sure before they left, as the pristine clothes were gonna raise more questions than anything else. If she had noticed one thing about his attire it would be how in general ratty and worn everything was, as if worn for years on end without the ability to properly wash and clean the clothes. Those around the room would have similar sets of clothes, unless they're wearing the simpler stuff made after the war once mass production ground to a halt.

"Good to know, pal. Excuse this one, she's from the capitol wasteland, still getting used to seeing such rough and tumble sorts of towns out here." He excused Katya, glancing over at her worriedly. She really needed to figure out how the people in here reacted to that sort of obvious lack of a backbone before they tried taking her for all her money or life.

The wastes were merciless, especially in frontier towns.

"Wait, Brotherhood? You mean the bastards who tried exterminating my kind a few decades ago when they moved into the Commonwealth? We had to force them to leave with their tails between their legs to get any semblance of peace, after they flew that damned airship, Prydwyn, right over the city. Practically claimed the whole area as part of their protectorates! Like we'd let anyone but ourselves run the Commonwealth!"
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Danceria wrote:But my main question is this: is there any public transport I can use to get to either the Burrows or Ascalon?"

Amanda regarded this with amusement. "Are you sure you're not the pampered sort of prince? If you can't be bothered to walk down the hill to the Burrows, I'll begin to doubt your story."

"We're far too far out into the sticks to have any sort of public transportation anywhere. You could hitch a ride with the few people here who have vehicles, or you might be able to bum a ride from the blacksmith in the Burrows. That's about it."

Saldinado wrote:Walking over there, Henry politely stood next to Amanda and waited for everyone to finish what they were talking about before speaking himself. [...] But Henry was too scared to say "excuse me," so he waited until they either acknowledged him or they finished up what they were doing.

Amanda politely excused herself to break away from talking to Sully, even though he already seemed to have gotten involved in a different conversation. She then turned to Henry, puzzled that he'd simply come behind the front desk with her. But perhaps he shared Sandy's insatiable curiosity, and couldn't be bothered with common courtesy with there was something to learn. "Is there something I can do for you?" She started to wait for him to answer, but after hearing the other conversation in the room, decided she needed to clarify a couple of points for the prince and the xeno.

Danceria wrote:To settle the matter, the Arab turned to Venla and politely smiled "I'm afraid I'll have to wait and see before I go forth on an alien expedition." he answered "I would like time to prepare, learn more about where it is we're going, and seeing if other people are intent to help you." he paused, thinking about the monetary reward. "On one condition...I will accept a payment that is no greater than a month's rent in this apartment complex." he decided "I do not wish to do this for strictly monetary reasons, I'm not that kind of person.["]

"If those are your terms, you're certainly not going for monetary reasons", Amanda quipped. "While the Demens Towers is an apartment building, we don't pay cash rent. We are however, in practical terms, in Demens' service. That's our rent."

She then turned to the scientist, addressing ... it... in a polite, matter of fact tone. "Venla, I'm afraid your civilization's money isn't accepted here; it's the local mint or nothing. You can certainly reward Prince Suleiman in your own culture's way, but I'd recommend doing so in goods. If they're not something he can use, he could try to sell them in Ascalon." Amanda decided that reminding them that she'd already described the local money was a bit blunt. They'd just arrived, and were predictably overwhelmed.

Perhaps that was the key: try the familiar. "Prince? You mentioned casino work. If you're looking for jobs, there's casinos in Ascalon, both the very swanky kind in the Main City and the more exciting kind in the Uppers. I might be able to help you find a position in the ones in the Uppers, but I'm of two minds about asking my contact for that sort of favor."

On the one hand, both of them might find themselves more deeply entangled in the city's underworld than they wanted. But on the other hand, Amanda was representing the Judge's man pro bono, so it might be a quid pro quo, and Arab seemed to have a taste for that sort of life. Which suggested another approach: "If you're looking for a quick score and you're good with cards or dice, I could point out a couple of casinos for high rollers."

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Katya gulped. "Right, Capitol.", She nodded. "Capitol, of America? DC. Pretty Monuments.", She tried to seem more confident. She stuck close to Kale. Audette was still in the back, spaced out while she examined the scene around her.

She kept her gaze to the floor and followed Sakarias and the Ranger, who nodded. "Yep, airships! I didn't say they were good, but they are resilient. Bastards started out in these parts, fought a war with the NCR. Well, they're not all bad, helped fight some of the more nasty types, but still...I can't speak for'em."

He slid into a seat and kicked back. "Any ways, they're a godsend, what with the war against Caesar's Legion. A big band of raiders from out east, fancy themselves like the Romans. It was hell, getting this land from them. I remember Hoover Damn, and don't get me started on The Divide. Lots of blood in this land."

He took a moment to let the info sink in. "Anyways, I suppose that brings me to my current situation, history and whatnot. The Legion is the least of our worries here these days."
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Cuisine beamed widely (albeit somewhat madly, for those who didn't know him well). A slight squeaking noise ensued as he rubbed his knuckles back and forth along the polished surface of his bronzed chef's hat. The picture before him was full enough of warmth that he didn't mind the sudden disorder. Of course he welcomed the teens' help; though that much could wait. Pulling open a cupboard, he set the water boiling to make some fresh hot cocoa.

MB squealed in surprise at Torii's squeezing, and sprang free, darting away toward the door. Skittering across the floor, he twitched his whiskers thoughtfully, plopped down on his haunches, and picked out one of the smoother pieces of wood, offering it to Turtleboss. The rabbit waved both ears slowly and expressively at Marcus. No pay. Actually saves him money on food for me. He has been wanting experiment now, with no door. Told him he was nuts if someone walks in on him. He just asked me to move them away. Crazy humans!

RAIDERS of the LOST BOOK
[/b]
RotLB

Dora trailed along behind the oddly shimmering alien. Tzenkethi? Mindful of not brushing up against the wall displays, the redhead stepped carefully behind. The shop had a neat, careful layout to it, and that at least implied Lumba would treat them fairly and well. It might have been quite some time, but she remembered the tricks and twists of the merchants of her youth. The brightly colored alien stopped before a rack that mounted devices of all shapes and sizes, and gestured to it.

"This one hopes any one of these will satisfy," Oecammi said, and Dora nodded. One set caught her eye immediately - a waistband or belt-like gadget that promised to hide itself under the image, as needed. Most of the others seemed to pass themselves off as plain jewelry that would be visible to others. Picking up a few of each in case any of the others wanted their own, she followed Oecammi back to the front.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Danceria wrote:But my main question is this: is there any public transport I can use to get to either the Burrows or Ascalon?"

Amanda regarded this with amusement. "Are you sure you're not the pampered sort of prince? If you can't be bothered to walk down the hill to the Burrows, I'll begin to doubt your story."

"We're far too far out into the sticks to have any sort of public transportation anywhere. You could hitch a ride with the few people here who have vehicles, or you might be able to bum a ride from the blacksmith in the Burrows. That's about it."

Saldinado wrote:Walking over there, Henry politely stood next to Amanda and waited for everyone to finish what they were talking about before speaking himself. [...] But Henry was too scared to say "excuse me," so he waited until they either acknowledged him or they finished up what they were doing.

Amanda politely excused herself to break away from talking to Sully, even though he already seemed to have gotten involved in a different conversation. She then turned to Henry, puzzled that he'd simply come behind the front desk with her. But perhaps he shared Sandy's insatiable curiosity, and couldn't be bothered with common courtesy with there was something to learn. "Is there something I can do for you?" She started to wait for him to answer, but after hearing the other conversation in the room, decided she needed to clarify a couple of points for the prince and the xeno.

Danceria wrote:To settle the matter, the Arab turned to Venla and politely smiled "I'm afraid I'll have to wait and see before I go forth on an alien expedition." he answered "I would like time to prepare, learn more about where it is we're going, and seeing if other people are intent to help you." he paused, thinking about the monetary reward. "On one condition...I will accept a payment that is no greater than a month's rent in this apartment complex." he decided "I do not wish to do this for strictly monetary reasons, I'm not that kind of person.["]

"If those are your terms, you're certainly not going for monetary reasons", Amanda quipped. "While the Demens Towers is an apartment building, we don't pay cash rent. We are however, in practical terms, in Demens' service. That's our rent."

She then turned to the scientist, addressing ... it... in a polite, matter of fact tone. "Venla, I'm afraid your civilization's money isn't accepted here; it's the local mint or nothing. You can certainly reward Prince Suleiman in your own culture's way, but I'd recommend doing so in goods. If they're not something he can use, he could try to sell them in Ascalon." Amanda decided that reminding them that she'd already described the local money was a bit blunt. They'd just arrived, and were predictably overwhelmed.

Perhaps that was the key: try the familiar. "Prince? You mentioned casino work. If you're looking for jobs, there's casinos in Ascalon, both the very swanky kind in the Main City and the more exciting kind in the Uppers. I might be able to help you find a position in the ones in the Uppers, but I'm of two minds about asking my contact for that sort of favor."

On the one hand, both of them might find themselves more deeply entangled in the city's underworld than they wanted. But on the other hand, Amanda was representing the Judge's man pro bono, so it might be a quid pro quo, and Arab seemed to have a taste for that sort of life. Which suggested another approach: "If you're looking for a quick score and you're good with cards or dice, I could point out a couple of casinos for high rollers."

Sully shrugged and smiled. For a legal consultant, he certainly was enjoying her company "Sorry ma'am, the rich people eat better but the kind people sleep better. So I'm shooting for both." he chuckled "All right, I'd love to work at any of those locations, but sounds like I'll be taking a stroll down to the Burrows. If I head up to the Uppers, I'll probably see a lot of people doing meth." He chuckled off of the pun.

Sully thought back about the romantic allure of the casino, where both the good and the evil, the rich and the poor, everyone was equal under the rule of Lady Luck. She was a fickle mistress, to those who cheated and those who took advantage of the weak, those who were unforgiving. But to those who persevered and went after their goal, and got back up after falling down, Lady Luck will smile upon you sooner or later. Right now, he'd need to rack up his karma, checking out the local establishments and doing good deeds for Mr. Demens would certainly do that. Or at the very least, bolster his confidence.

"And Ms. Amanda? It's Sully, not Prince, Allah rest his soul though..." Sully remarked "Arabia has no power here, and neither do I. I'll gladly do whatever work it takes to make it to the top...so long as it's not amoral. I'll ask you to kindly look away when I'm doing illegal stuff though." Two can play at the ribbing game, Ms. Amanda. he thought to himself.
Obligatory Quotes below

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:59 pm

"Interesting inspiration! Didn't think anyone still remembered the Romans except my people. Being largely robotic we have long memories, Plenty of us are from before the Great War way back!" He replied with a chuckle. The synth's arm twitched a bit. He grumbled and sighed, pulling his shirt sleeve back and patting his arm, a good bit of sand falling out. Again? He'd have to get used to this or take a copious amount of baths while here. Or find a way to more properly seal himself up.

"You have running water out this way yet? This much sand doesn't do good on my servos or motors, clogs things up." He asked, glancing around again, ushering Audette over to their table so she'd stop standing around gawking like an idiot. Someone very well could take offense to that!

"What made this Caesar so bad? He some glorified tribal leader or something? I doubt he'd be anything like the original Caesar in this world we live in."

"Oh yes, I'd assumed that the currency would be worthless here. We likely could stop somewhere else to spend the money before coming back. Lots of our stores have good selections, and for him in the human sectors of our space and cities he could find plenty of interesting things." Venla replied, nodding softly. She straightened up onto her back legs again, glancing over to Henry and wondering why the other newcomers seemed to be running around so frantically. She swore humans weren't this fast-paced back home, it was strange...

"Also, I would hope saving a species from extinction would be enough of a reason as it is. But I do know plenty are motivated more by coin than morality. But I'll put up a poster somewhere or another if I can. Or just seeing if those I know will be able to come along," The alien said with a slight grumble, nudging open the door to the stairs with a few tendrils. She heard the place the prince said he was from and glanced back.

" Arabia? I swear I've heard one of the human planets called that.... Seems humans are not inventive in naming, if they just name their planets after regions of their homeworld!" She said in a joking manner, the strange creature letting out a guffaw-like sound that could be assumed to be laughter, though much louder. "Interesting to meet a prince though. I wasn't aware that humans held the traditions of monarchism during their history. They seem to be a pretty democratic loving race, and occasionally a theocratic one." She replied as she let the door close behind her, sitting down a bit to the side of it to not block the way.
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Ganonsyoni
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganonsyoni » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Kale looked surprised by Katya's nervousness. The woman was way more nervous than herself! It sort of counteracted Kale's nervousness, feeling pity for her and a need to assist her. "It's alright," Kale whispered to Katya before they were ushered to sit at the empty table.

She sat at the table next to Sakarias but also next to Katya. She took the woman's hand underneath the table, hoping it will help calm Katya down. She listened to the conversation between the Ranger and Sakarias. It peaked her interest, for it was something she had at least some knowledge of. She didn't know of this Caesar, but the Caesar in history she knew of. In fact, there were several of them. All rulers of a huge empire spanning the Mediterranean sea and Western Europe. She was about to speak, but policed herself, thinking that her knowing that would sort of blow her "tribal" cover. From the sound of the term, people wouldn't expect her to know about Roman Caesars. And one thing she knew about the Caesars of old, if someone is trying to mimic their style they are bound to be brutal authoritarians. Sakarias seemed more suited to that role though. She was even surprised to how long-lived he supposedly was. Just how old could his kind be?

The last part about something being worse that the Legion at the moment gave her an avenue to speak. "What is worse than the Legion around here?" she said, concerned. Caesar's Legion sounded like a terrible group of people. Something worse than them, and nearby, brought concern to the girl.
New and Improved version of "The Carlisle"
MtF transperson, goes by she/her/hers
Call me Carly

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” - Orwell

"I'm a god damn Sage"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse