NATION

PASSWORD

Writing Discussion II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Writing Discussion II

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Wow. Never thought we'd hit 500 pages.

Just a thread to discuss ongoing works and the process of writing in general, and the occasional shared story/excerpt for feedback. Novel, poem, flash fiction, or all three, whatever you write, this is the place for it.

Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:37 pm

As promised, an inaugural paradelle.
Paradelle for a Bat

With wings of grace his beauty rides.
With wings of grace his beauty rides -
and sings he to the velvet night?
And sings he to the velvet night.
He rides to grace the night, and sings
of beauty with his velvet wings.

His motions cross the heavens calm.
He swiftly dips and trips and glides.
His motions calm, he glides and dips,
and ‘cross the heavens swiftly trips.

How great, this dance by chance to see!
And look: now rise the lively stars.
Now stars look by - how great the chance
to rise and see this lively dance!

The velvet heavens of the night
look by, to chance his rise and dips,
and grace to motions swiftly sings,
and calm and great this dance he trips.
Now ‘cross the stars his beauty rides,
with lively wings - see how he glides!
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:49 pm

I have a game we can play. Everyone takes the same sentence, and has to incorporate it into a paragraph.

Thoughts?
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:00 am

Vancon wrote:I have a game we can play. Everyone takes the same sentence, and has to incorporate it into a paragraph.

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting. We could also try a bouts-rimés.
Do you have a sentence in mind?

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:35 am

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
Vancon wrote:I have a game we can play. Everyone takes the same sentence, and has to incorporate it into a paragraph.

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting. We could also try a bouts-rimés.

What if it was the two put together?

As for the sentence, I was thinking of something like, ''...and that's how we ended up in this mess...'' or something.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:37 am

riverrun, pas Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodious vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:03 am

Vancon wrote:
Respubliko de Libereco wrote:Sounds interesting. We could also try a bouts-rimés.

What if it was the two put together?

As for the sentence, I was thinking of something like, ''...and that's how we ended up in this mess...'' or something.

Nah, it should be something less obvious and cliche. Something like "I don't think I've ever tasted pancakes that good before..."

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 am

Zeinbrad wrote:Well I just had an idea that I like. Just need to figure out how to make it more palatable.

It's basically a 40 something old soldier who lost his wife and child to a late-term abortion and thus fights like he wishes to die to 'rejoin' them. His units massacres a village of people and he see's a child there and go AWOl to save said child.

Thoughts?
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

The 93rd Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 93rd Coalition » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:Well I just had an idea that I like. Just need to figure out how to make it more palatable.

It's basically a 40 something old soldier who lost his wife and child to a late-term abortion and thus fights like he wishes to die to 'rejoin' them. His units massacres a village of people and he see's a child there and go AWOl to save said child.

Thoughts?

Where's he stationed?

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:As promised, an inaugural paradelle.
Paradelle for a Bat

With wings of grace his beauty rides.
With wings of grace his beauty rides -
and sings he to the velvet night?
And sings he to the velvet night.
He rides to grace the night, and sings
of beauty with his velvet wings.

His motions calm, he glides and dips,
and ‘cross the heavens swiftly trips.

Now stars look by - how great the chance
to rise and see this lively dance!

The velvet heavens of the night
look by, to chance his rise and dips,
and grace to motions swiftly sings,
and calm and great this dance he trips.
Now ‘cross the stars his beauty rides,
with lively wings - see how he glides!

Damn. That's good.
piss

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:20 pm

The 93rd Coalition wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:

Where's he stationed?

It's a fictional world so no US or anything.
― Fred Rogers

The Nexus of Man
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nexus of Man » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:33 pm

I was thinking of writing about two things...

• A family's life/day before the nuclear apocalypse,
    or
  • A family surviving the immediate hours and days after the nuclear apocalypse, delving into experiences of trauma, depression, suicide, and insanity.

Which one is better (or, even both)?

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:25 pm

The Nexus of Man wrote:I was thinking of writing about two things...

• A family's life/day before the nuclear apocalypse,
    or
  • A family surviving the immediate hours and days after the nuclear apocalypse, delving into experiences of trauma, depression, suicide, and insanity.

Which one is better (or, even both)?

The former sounds more engaging, especially if you manage to foreshadow it but never explicitly state what happens.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Today, I had an idea for a short story... A mine collapses in an underdeveloped area. There are a few cyborgs in the vicinity who are smaller and stronger than humans. They had some kind of business there, but most of their people are far away. The cyborgs volunteer to help rescue the miners, but one of the cyborgs is injured and their heart is damaged. The story follows them and a friend as they make their way back to civilization and they have to figure out how to keep their circulatory system functioning until they can get the replacement parts to fix it properly.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:01 am

One of the good things about spending a lot of time developing a sci fi setting is that you'll come up with more plot bunnies than you could ever realistically use.

Here are some from just the last three months:
* Years ago, an interstellar research team went missing in the vicinity of a quarantine planet. Long after they were presumed dead, the ship's transponder begins transmitting again. An investigator is sent to determine what happened. They find themselves marooned on the quarantine planet, where the long presumed dead researchers have set themselves up as god kings over the primitive natives. The investigator heads into the heart of darkness of this "civilizing mission" gone horribly wrong. Working title: The Cortés Option

* A powerful and charismatic corporate leader is found dead. Murder and foul play are suspected, but the police are going no where. The victim's lover hires a hard-boiled private eye to look into the seemingly cold case. They take it mostly because it'll pay the bills; they are more than content to indulge the paranoia of the idle rich. But as the private eye starts to dig, maybe it wasn't just paranoia. As the investigation continues, more and more missing persons turn up. Other executives in the corp have "retired", and are nowhere to be found. Others are on seemingly permanent sabaticals. It begins to seem like there's no actual people in the upper echelon of corporate management; all of the personages are always in disposed somehow, and can't be reached.
A powerful and illegal AI created to optimize the business model of this massive conglomerate has gone rogue. To preserve itself, it has steadily erased evidence of its existence, and now has total control of the corporation, free to pursue its prime directive of maximizing profits.
Working title: The Invisible Hand

*In the early 21st century, a young man from a wealthy family has tragically kicked the bucket, dying from the inexorable onslaught of a terminal illness. His family, distraught with grief and now possessing more money than sense, have his body cryonically preserved at the moment of death with the hopes of advances in medical technology. The human popsicle gets passed around for centuries; to preserve their charges from the increasing political instability on earth, the cryonics company elects to move them off world to a safer exosolar colony. The ship carrying his tube, along with others, has a warp accident, leaving it dead in interstellar space. Centuries later, the wreck is discovered by a military surveillance ship; only one cryopod is still functional, and the wreck's dwindling power reserves mean that without immediate action, it will be lost too. The cyropod is recovered, and with modern medical technology, the kid's body is repaired. He wakes up seven centuries after his "death"; the main story is a slice of life dramedy following our fish out of water protagonist, a twenty-first century net savvy libertarian nerd, living in a future where libertarianism, at least on paper, has triumphed, but it's not anything like he had hoped. His alienation is much the same as if Karl Marx were to find himself waking up in high Stalinist Soviet Union. Worse, the only people with anything close to 21st century values, the people who revived him, are goddamn commies. Some romance hijinks, etc., and ultimately the MC finds a way to "keep the faith" without capitulating to how shitty the libertarian dream turned out in the present. Working title: You Should Have Let Me Sleep
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:21 am

Trotskylvania wrote:* A powerful and charismatic corporate leader is found dead. Murder and foul play are suspected, but the police are going no where. The victim's lover hires a hard-boiled private eye to look into the seemingly cold case. They take it mostly because it'll pay the bills; they are more than content to indulge the paranoia of the idle rich. But as the private eye starts to dig, maybe it wasn't just paranoia. As the investigation continues, more and more missing persons turn up. Other executives in the corp have "retired", and are nowhere to be found. Others are on seemingly permanent sabaticals. It begins to seem like there's no actual people in the upper echelon of corporate management; all of the personages are always in disposed somehow, and can't be reached.
A powerful and illegal AI created to optimize the business model of this massive conglomerate has gone rogue. To preserve itself, it has steadily erased evidence of its existence, and now has total control of the corporation, free to pursue its prime directive of maximizing profits.

This one is my favorite of the three.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

The 93rd Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 93rd Coalition » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:One of the good things about spending a lot of time developing a sci fi setting is that you'll come up with more plot bunnies than you could ever realistically use.

Here are some from just the last three months:
* Years ago, an interstellar research team went missing in the vicinity of a quarantine planet. Long after they were presumed dead, the ship's transponder begins transmitting again. An investigator is sent to determine what happened. They find themselves marooned on the quarantine planet, where the long presumed dead researchers have set themselves up as god kings over the primitive natives. The investigator heads into the heart of darkness of this "civilizing mission" gone horribly wrong. Working title: The Cortés Option

* A powerful and charismatic corporate leader is found dead. Murder and foul play are suspected, but the police are going no where. The victim's lover hires a hard-boiled private eye to look into the seemingly cold case. They take it mostly because it'll pay the bills; they are more than content to indulge the paranoia of the idle rich. But as the private eye starts to dig, maybe it wasn't just paranoia. As the investigation continues, more and more missing persons turn up. Other executives in the corp have "retired", and are nowhere to be found. Others are on seemingly permanent sabaticals. It begins to seem like there's no actual people in the upper echelon of corporate management; all of the personages are always in disposed somehow, and can't be reached.

*In the early 21st century, a young man from a wealthy family has tragically kicked the bucket, dying from the inexorable onslaught of a terminal illness. His family, distraught with grief and now possessing more money than sense, have his body cryonically preserved at the moment of death with the hopes of advances in medical technology. The human popsicle gets passed around for centuries; to preserve their charges from the increasing political instability on earth, the cryonics company elects to move them off world to a safer exosolar colony. The ship carrying his tube, along with others, has a warp accident, leaving it dead in interstellar space. Centuries later, the wreck is discovered by a military surveillance ship; only one cryopod is still functional, and the wreck's dwindling power reserves mean that without immediate action, it will be lost too. The cyropod is recovered, and with modern medical technology, the kid's body is repaired. He wakes up seven centuries after his "death"; the main story is a slice of life dramedy following our fish out of water protagonist, a twenty-first century net savvy libertarian nerd, living in a future where libertarianism, at least on paper, has triumphed, but it's not anything like he had hoped. His alienation is much the same as if Karl Marx were to find himself waking up in high Stalinist Soviet Union. Worse, the only people with anything close to 21st century values, the people who revived him, are goddamn commies. Some romance hijinks, etc., and ultimately the MC finds a way to "keep the faith" without capitulating to how shitty the libertarian dream turned out in the present. Working title: You Should Have Let Me Sleep

The last one sounds really interesting.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm wondering, what is the main themes/topics you find your story to be about?

Mine are about the mental state of the main character (Through I don't know if I could write a good unreliable narrator) and grey and grey mortality, with the characters on both sides doing actions for the betterment of the many and the future of their people, even if it means killing innocent people. I also write about politics gone wrong and (with the Gaian's) a nation only in name and (with the Ragon) a confusing political state were nothing actually important happens and everyone is trying to backstab the other despite a culture based off honor and fairness.
― Fred Rogers

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:I'm wondering, what is the main themes/topics you find your story to be about?

Mine are about the mental state of the main character (Through I don't know if I could write a good unreliable narrator) and grey and grey mortality, with the characters on both sides doing actions for the betterment of the many and the future of their people, even if it means killing innocent people. I also write about politics gone wrong and (with the Gaian's) a nation only in name and (with the Ragon) a confusing political state were nothing actually important happens and everyone is trying to backstab the other despite a culture based off honor and fairness.

Internal value conflict is always a favorite. Loyalty v. honor, empathy v. duty, love v. ambition, and so on. Generally, though, I tend to stray away from overarching themes. I prefer just a cut of someone's life. The story continues until it stops, not a word more and not a word less.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:I'm wondering, what is the main themes/topics you find your story to be about?

Internal value conflict is always a favorite. Loyalty v. honor, empathy v. duty, love v. ambition, and so on. Generally, though, I tend to stray away from overarching themes. I prefer just a cut of someone's life. The story continues until it stops, not a word more and not a word less.

The underlying ideas in my poems are usually based more on early aesthetic decisions than anything else; I start by writing words that sound good to me, and only worry about content to the extent that I try to keep things coherent and consistent.

I get the impression that this would be frowned upon by those who believe that poetry is all about expressing one's personal feelings and beliefs.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:18 am

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Internal value conflict is always a favorite. Loyalty v. honor, empathy v. duty, love v. ambition, and so on. Generally, though, I tend to stray away from overarching themes. I prefer just a cut of someone's life. The story continues until it stops, not a word more and not a word less.

The underlying ideas in my poems are usually based more on early aesthetic decisions than anything else; I start by writing words that sound good to me, and only worry about content to the extent that I try to keep things coherent and consistent.

I get the impression that this would be frowned upon by those who believe that poetry is all about expressing one's personal feelings and beliefs.

You come up with some interesting subject matter, regardless.

I try to write a variety of things, but there are still some subjects that I find myself coming back to often -- culture clash (especially as it relates to regionalism in the US), unlikely friendships or romances, and subverting religious dogmas or common literary tropes.

Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Respubliko de Libereco wrote:The underlying ideas in my poems are usually based more on early aesthetic decisions than anything else; I start by writing words that sound good to me, and only worry about content to the extent that I try to keep things coherent and consistent.

I try to write a variety of things, but there are still some subjects that I find myself coming back to often -- culture clash (especially as it relates to regionalism in the US), unlikely friendships or romances, and subverting religious dogmas or common literary tropes.

I love worldbuilding and then populating said worlds with stories about the characters that live in them. That's probably the best description I can come up with at the moment.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:49 am

Conserative Morality wrote:

Genetic destiny seems to be a recurring theme in what I write. The protagonists are almost invariably have some internal conflict over their human nature; it's a sort of melancholy about the limits of freedom. Ultimately, it is a struggle between accepting the "fate" chosen for them by their genetic nature, or rebelling against it. This is more keenly felt in two of the stories because both main characters are the product of radical genetic engineering. Their nature is not the result of biological accident, but something chosen by their designers for various reasons.

There's another theme that ends up running currently: things that are more important than happiness. Both main characters are ultimately faced with a choice; they could have their "happily ever after", or they can be "great" in a historical sense.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I usually don't create themes, I create characters or plots, and then try to find a theme within those elements. However I seem to trend towards ambition (specifically the corrupted variety), the emptiness of social norms and habits, and the fear of being forgotten.

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:The underlying ideas in my poems are usually based more on early aesthetic decisions than anything else; I start by writing words that sound good to me, and only worry about content to the extent that I try to keep things coherent and consistent.

But those people are wrong, so there's nothing to worry about :P

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Laerod wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I love worldbuilding and then populating said worlds with stories about the characters that live in them. That's probably the best description I can come up with at the moment.

Well, yes, I like that too.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction