NATION

PASSWORD

The Official Syria (and all things about it) Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Orcoa wrote:My family has a long history with the military so I understand a thing or two about War and how it can be used for both legitimate problems or be used to further the greed of groups of people that have a say in the military.

Exactly. Some wars can be justified, some can not be justified.

Besides when people say this will be a war is greatly mistaken on what counts as a "war".

These are selected military strikes agasint selected targets, not agasint the entire nation of Syria.

All we are doing if we go over there is enforcing the laws agasint chemical weapons that the UN has written and is not enforcing agasint the Syria government.
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:So does the boss want to strike or not?

I sure hope he will. Can't have motherfuckers gassing people.

Should have done something earlier before it got to this shitfest honestly.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Good, good, good.

No, not good.

Although I do support some consequences for the Syrian Government, and war should be last resort.

"Oh no, the US has imposed trade sanctions, Bashar!"

"Oh shit, better stop gassing people!"
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Exactly. Some wars can be justified, some can not be justified.

Besides when people say this will be a war is greatly mistaken on what counts as a "war".

These are selected military strikes agasint selected targets, not agasint the entire nation of Syria.

All we are doing if we go over there is enforcing the laws agasint chemical weapons that the UN has written and is not enforcing agasint the Syria government.

Good point. But military force will lead to war. Assad said he will not tolerate a Western attack.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Then present evidence as to who used them, evidence that's beyond a reasonable doubt. Apparently when America bombs it's not "innocent before guitly," it's "guilty cause we say so!" The problem with that precedent, is that the top dogs can change. And you really want to hand that precedent to China, Joe?

Do you seriously doubt international intelligence? Do you seriously think that John fucking Kerry and President Obama are hawks?

Fucking bullshit.

What international intelligence? All I'm hearing is "we said so" and "we assess", from US and France. Have you a source? Additionally, I'm looking at what comes out of Obama's mouth, and what comes out of Kerry's mouth. Those are comments that are more hawkish than what most Americans support.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Orcoa wrote:Besides when people say this will be a war is greatly mistaken on what counts as a "war".

Good point. But military force will lead to war. Assad said he will not tolerate a Western attack.

Yeah, I for one think that we should listen to what Johnny Gas-'em-up will fucking tolerate.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I sure hope he will. Can't have motherfuckers gassing people.

No one in the Syria Government broke any UN laws agasint Chemical weapons during that time.

Now that they did (Or at lest seemed they did) we are going over there to enforce that policy that the UN seems to not have the guts to enforce (nothing new really if you think about it.)

"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I sure hope he will. Can't have motherfuckers gassing people.

This ^

But I'm wary of the reaction from Russia and China, if they decide to retaliate to "help" Assad.
Forever a Communist

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Dangelia wrote:http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/securit ... tails.html

Two bishops were kidnapped by the rebels.

So now ALL the rebels hate Christians?

Fucking hell.

Are you at all familiar with the plight of the various Christian communities in the Mid-East?
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Do you seriously doubt international intelligence? Do you seriously think that John fucking Kerry and President Obama are hawks?

Fucking bullshit.

What international intelligence? All I'm hearing is "we said so" and "we assess", from US and France. Have you a source? Additionally, I'm looking at what comes out of Obama's mouth, and what comes out of Kerry's mouth. Those are comments that are more hawkish than what most Americans support.

Tweets from rebels = "intelligence". The CIA has really let itself fucking go. Bring back the insanity-causing beard itching powder and exploding cigars please, not a bunch of highschool drop-outs trolling rebel twitter feeds.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Do you seriously doubt international intelligence? Do you seriously think that John fucking Kerry and President Obama are hawks?

Fucking bullshit.

Most Americans don't have the experience or knowledge that Kerry and Obama have. There's a reason that we don't vote on troop movements and logistics, and that's because the people don't have the training or the intelligence to make the best decision for US and world interests.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
No, not good.

Although I do support some consequences for the Syrian Government, and war should be last resort.

"Oh no, the US has imposed trade sanctions, Bashar!"

When you put it that way it sounds insignificant, although I think there should be slightly bigger consequences then that, and Id rather have a international organization carry out those consequences.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Blasveck wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Should have done something earlier before it got to this shitfest honestly.

This ^

But I'm wary of the reaction from Russia and China, if they decide to retaliate to "help" Assad.

Do you honestly think that Russia and China are on his side and will retaliate if he's attacked?

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Frisivisia wrote:"Oh no, the US has imposed trade sanctions, Bashar!"

When you put it that way it sounds insignificant, although I think there should be slightly bigger consequences then that, and Id rather have a international organization carry out those consequences.

The Syrian Government didn't trade with US dollars, so i doubt it conducted that much trade (if any) with the US + Western Europe pre-terrorist uprising anyway.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Blasveck wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Should have done something earlier before it got to this shitfest honestly.

This ^

Neither has said they will directly help, only give arm shipments. Now that I think about random lol bombing of a few sites and making Russia and China support Assad and probably end the war because of the new supplies actually sounds like a good plan.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Frisivisia wrote:"Oh no, the US has imposed trade sanctions, Bashar!"

The UN won't do it. We have to.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Blasveck wrote:

This ^

I think China will be smart enough not to get involved in this. Sure they'll be a little pissed at us, but we could stop relying on China anyways.

Russia on the other hand, will be more than a little pissed.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Tweets from rebels = "intelligence". The CIA has really let itself fucking go. Bring back the insanity-causing beard itching powder and exploding cigars please, not a bunch of highschool drop-outs trolling rebel twitter feeds.

"But clearly, it could never be rebels. Because they don't possess those kinds of weapons."
"How do you know?"
"Well, we said so!"

If the same style of argumentation was used to oppose Gay Marriage, NSG would be ripping these arguments to shreds, because they're circular in nature, along the lines of "we said so, ergo it's right!"
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Orcoa wrote:Besides when people say this will be a war is greatly mistaken on what counts as a "war".

And I should care what Assad says?

He needs to understand that he is on the shit list for using Chem weapons on his own people and he has to either do two things.

Be the honorable one and leave the country, dismantle his government, and allow democracy into the country (even if it may turn out bad)

Or suffer having to face only a small part of the US military, one that could destroy and hurt his country.

If I were him, I would choose number one.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
This ^

Do you honestly think that Russia and China are on his side and will retaliate if he's attacked?

I never said they absolutely would.

Who knows? I don't know what Putin is thinking.
Forever a Communist

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
This ^

It's unreasonable to expect a country not to retaliate when its attacked. Fly military aircraft over any nation you don't have a military access treaty with and they'll be intercepted or fired upon. Though there's not much The government can do if they go with a pure-naval attack unless they want their osa missile boats "lol raped" before they even get in range.
Last edited by Democratic Koyro on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

The UN won't do it. We have to.

The UN made anti chemical weapon legislation themselves, they'll probably do something.

America isn't and shouldn't be the world police. If something goes wrong we can't be the only ones to do something.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Most Americans don't have the experience or knowledge that Kerry and Obama have. There's a reason that we don't vote on troop movements and logistics, and that's because the people don't have the training or the intelligence to make the best decision for US and world interests.

Still waiting for evidence that's beyond a reasonable doubt. "Assad did it, cause we said so, trust us" is still not evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
So now ALL the rebels hate Christians?

Fucking hell.

Are you at all familiar with the plight of the various Christian communities in the Mid-East?

I am.
They should probably fucking move to someplace safer.
Forever a Communist

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Democratic Koyro wrote:

"But clearly, it could never be rebels. Because they don't possess those kinds of weapons."
"How do you know?"
"Well, we said so!"

If the same style of argumentation was used to oppose Gay Marriage, NSG would be ripping these arguments to shreds, because they're circular in nature, along the lines of "we said so, ergo it's right!"

When you are a primary source, "because I said so" is a completely valid argument.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General