NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Freedom From Military Drafts Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Elktown
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elktown » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 pm

RECOGNIZES a military draft as a forceful conscription of citizens into a military force.

ACKNOWLEDGES that a military draft encroaches on the rights of anyone at any time.

REALIZES that military drafts have been used before and, if not stopped, may be used again.

RECOGNIZES a selective service as a means by which a government may prepare for military conscription

FORBIDS any nation from creating a selective service to prepare for a military draft.

AlSO FORBIDS any nation from creating any type of military draft.

Feel free to add to this.
Delegate From the Phoenix Empire

Founder of the Confederation of Allied Nations

Elktown
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elktown » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Sorry My, computer posted this twice; its acting dumb.
Last edited by Elktown on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegate From the Phoenix Empire

Founder of the Confederation of Allied Nations

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:17 pm

You did not need two topics on this. The threads have been merged.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Elktown wrote:RECOGNIZES a military draft as a forceful conscription of citizens into a military force.

ACKNOWLEDGES that a military draft encroaches on the rights of anyone at any time.

REALIZES that military drafts have been used before and, if not stopped, may be used again.

RECOGNIZES a selective service as a means by which a government may prepare for military conscription

FORBIDS any nation from creating a selective service to prepare for a military draft.

Category & Strength?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:31 pm

Elktown wrote:RECOGNIZES a military draft as a forceful conscription of citizens into a military force.

We shall add this. We cannot and will not ever, in any way, ever, support anything such as this. We do not require either your delegation or the WA dictating to us such blatant social engineering and interference. Never.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Such blather is for fools. Perhaps you would feel differently once you were invaded?
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 pm

We will never support such thing at any costs. It goes against the security of a individual nation.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hardenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardenburgh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Do you know how stupid this is ; for larger nations like yourself , such a proposal may be okay , as you might be able to maintain forces large enough to fend off an attack ; but if such a proposal was ever passed through the WA , then my nations military efficiency would be smashed over the nose ; and my ability to mobilize if attacked by a bigger power would be severely compromised. It would definitely encourage me , and needless to say , many other nations to pour vast amounts of money into their Nuclear arsenals , so that we could at least retaliate in some manner or form to aggression from greater powers - look at nuclear disarmament first !
The United Hardenburghian Commonwealth
Dispatches from the UHC
]Factbook| Anthem | Map
God has endowed the Hardenburghian people with a worldwide empire, that they may execute his sovereign purpose in the world. The victories that we shall have over the heathen are the victories of the nobler soul in man!
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 pm

I'd support a universal removal of military drafts when such drafting is to conduct an engagement of war against another WA nation.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

My god no! This is completely outside the boundaries of any reasonable proposal citizens are entitled to the rights of protection and security in their homeland and obligated to come to their nations defense if the second call is sounded.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 pm

military service is compulsory for all citizens in Ainocra. This proposal is not only a threat to our security but to our very way of life.

We will never support it. To do so would be an insult to the men and women who have already given their lives to protect our great nation.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Poree
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:00 pm

We find this proposal from the representative of Elktown to be both distasteful and overly intrusive.

The use of mandatory national service either in the military of one of the public service branches is an important rite of passage for all youth in the Empire of Poree. We will not only reject this, but actively work to defeat it.
Sarah Woodman
Representative of The Empire of Poree
Regional Delegate

Skibereen
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skibereen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 pm

National Service is a tool in Skibereen which enables lower taxes and increased Social Services. As well the service provided by the mandatory Military service agreement allows youth to experience from the outset of adult the best of work place values. The cultural significance of this proposal would be a death knell to the Irysh-Finegall Culture and Social system, theoretically collapsing our economy and educational system.
No such legislation will ever be supported.
argumentum ad logicam, seriously think about it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison
First in line for the pie in the sky

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 pm

The honoured ambassador personally would support this, but is forced to respect the wishes of other member states to retain the draft for many reasons: self-defence, protection against enemies and so on. What about allowing conscientious objection?

Yours,

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The honoured ambassador personally would support this, but is forced to respect the wishes of other member states to retain the draft for many reasons: self-defence, protection against enemies and so on. What about allowing conscientious objection?Yours,

Why does that require a WA resolution? This is honestly something best left to each individual nation to decide. The WA has no business mandating who and what may or may not be permitted in national militaries. This is little better than one nation attempting to push their own viewpoint upon everybody by declaring "freedom from conscription" to be some manner of "right". Social engineering, nothing more.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:17 pm

I do not and will never support a movement of this sort.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Skibereen
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skibereen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:28 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The honoured ambassador personally would support this, but is forced to respect the wishes of other member states to retain the draft for many reasons: self-defence, protection against enemies and so on. What about allowing conscientious objection?

Yours,

We tend to agree with Honorable gentleman from Grays Harbor.
While culturally in Skibereen National Service has avenues available for the Conscientious Objector, typically Muslims in our nation based on religious reasons some nations do not recognize religious belief to hold sway over matters of state. Here to there certainly exist a myriad of logical reason both pro and con to differing opinions on such a status hence it should indeed be left to the individual nations and their respective cultures.

I yield.
argumentum ad logicam, seriously think about it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison
First in line for the pie in the sky

Scripo
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Military Drates Act

Postby Scripo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:56 am

+Holy Land of Scripo+
We Need our Armies to Protect our Region
We are (At this very Moment)
The Only Nation in the Grand Holy Land

I Belive you would also Act Diffrently if you were Invaded

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:46 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The honoured ambassador personally would support this, but is forced to respect the wishes of other member states to retain the draft for many reasons: self-defence, protection against enemies and so on. What about allowing conscientious objection?

Yours,

We concur with the honoured Ambassador for Charlotte Ryberg and would like to also add that we are doubtful that even if the motion came to vote, which is unlikely, and was passed that it's application would be difficult. It would have to be broken if a country needed their public for self defence, using the example the honoured Ambassador used. And in our eyes, no government is above the law.

Regards,

Yasminé Pontif
Minister for the World Assembly at the Department of Foreign Affairs
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:46 pm

The fact supporting our support for the global abolition for military drafts is the low morale and preparedness it may result, the professional and voluntary service seems to go much further in our opinion. BTW, I tried to draft on conscientious objection to a generally poor response. :palm:

Cradled Squads
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

No WAY.

Postby Cradled Squads » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:54 pm

I want no part of this, nahhh. NOPE, not gonna happen. This kind of thing would weaken many nation's ability to protect themselves.
Last edited by Cradled Squads on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The fact supporting our support for the global abolition for military drafts is the low morale and preparedness it may result, the professional and voluntary service seems to go much further in our opinion. BTW, I tried to draft on conscientious objection to a generally poor response. :palm:

I've bumped it back up. Considering the general consensus that this is not a good proposal, bringing yours back into the fore might provide debate and, as a result, it becomes a reasonable alternative to this draft.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 pm

This stinks of mandatory pacifism. It's every citizen's duty to protect his/her nation.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 pm

We cannot support such a proposal. The option of a draft may be needed in the interests of our national security.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The fact supporting our support for the global abolition for military drafts is the low morale and preparedness it may result, the professional and voluntary service seems to go much further in our opinion. BTW, I tried to draft on conscientious objection to a generally poor response. :palm:

If they don't want to be there and are not combat ready they will become excellent meat shields for those who answered the first call.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly