NATION

PASSWORD

The Eternal Thread: The Eternity of Eternally Eternal

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Your point? Just because a book sells x amount of copies in y amount of time doesn't mean that it's good writing.

Precisely.

What I find the more sad is that Rand thought Atlas Shrugged was her magnum opus. Bitch was deluded from the get go.

I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I have read the Fountainhead. When I did, I didn't think it was that bad, although the rape scene was messed up and most of the ideas presented in the novel was idiotic.

Also, make an impassioned speech and you're suddenly acquitted from any wrongdoing like blowing up a government housing project all because the builders aren't using your EXACT plans? Really?
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Objectiveland wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Your point? Just because a book sells x amount of copies in y amount of time doesn't mean that it's good writing.

Nor does being taught in state schools by incompetent moochers.

>"What's your favorite color?"
>"Fish."

That's how irrelevant your comment was.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Precisely.

What I find the more sad is that Rand thought Atlas Shrugged was her magnum opus. Bitch was deluded from the get go.

I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I have read the Fountainhead. When I did, I didn't think it was that bad, although the rape scene was messed up and most of the ideas presented in the novel was idiotic.

Also, make an impassioned speech and you're suddenly acquitted from any wrongdoing like blowing up a government housing project all because the builders aren't using your EXACT plans? Really?

Ayn Rand was an idiot, something that is quite visible in her writing. Her works are, quite frankly, sophomoric. Quite silly to be honest.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Objectiveland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Objectiveland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Objectiveland wrote:

>"What's your favorite color?"
>"Fish."

Try and follow along without the collective.
"Perhaps the fact that we have seen millions voting themselves into complete dependence on a tyrant has made our generation understand that to choose one's government is not necessarily to secure freedom."

Objectiveland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Objectiveland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I have read the Fountainhead. When I did, I didn't think it was that bad, although the rape scene was messed up and most of the ideas presented in the novel was idiotic.

Ayn Rand was an idiot, something that is quite visible in her writing. Her works are, quite frankly, sophomoric. Quite silly to be honest.

How so?
"Perhaps the fact that we have seen millions voting themselves into complete dependence on a tyrant has made our generation understand that to choose one's government is not necessarily to secure freedom."

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 pm

What I find the funniest about Rand, is that she benefited from the Russian revolution when it nationalized the universities and allowed women to attended, which the capitalist owners didn't allow
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Objectiveland wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:>"What's your favorite color?"
>"Fish."

Tell me more about how you don't understand collectivism.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Saruhan wrote:What I find the funniest about Rand, is that she benefited from the Russian revolution when it nationalized the universities and allowed women to attended, which the capitalist owners didn't allow

It's like Republicans having a "YOU DID BUILD THAT" rally in a building that was largely funded by the government.

Maudlnya
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maudlnya » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Objectiveland wrote:

Tell me more about how you don't understand collectivism.

Useless bickering with her/him/it.....
Wait, I still exist?

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Objectiveland wrote:

My teachers were incompetent? :eyebrow: Really?

When Karl Marx's book came out, nations throughout the world began establishing communist governments and established social democracies to help the poor and needy. Many of these social democracies survive one way or another today. It led to Lenin establishing a Communist government in Russia, leading to the USSR that collapsed in the late 20th century due to incompetence.

When Ayn Rand's book came out, the world didn't bat an eye.

Tell me which one is more relevant.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Objectiveland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Objectiveland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Saruhan wrote:What I find the funniest about Rand, is that she benefited from the Russian revolution when it nationalized the universities and allowed women to attended, which the capitalist owners didn't allow

It's like Republicans having a "YOU DID BUILD THAT" rally in a building that was largely funded by the government.

Everyone knows governments invented buildings and there wouldn't be any without them. :rofl:

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Objectiveland wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

How so?

Have you really, really read through her books? Have you truly stopped and analyzed her writing? I have.

In the case of Atlas Shrugged: it is a contradictory work. It encourages emotional repression and disowning. Her characters aren't ones you can sympathize with since they're always launching into philosophical sermons. Not to mention that her prose is just shot with hatred.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Everybody, common this is TET not some random thread about Ayn Rand. Objectiveland, while I think you have a right to talk and discuss in what you believe in I don't think this is the right thread for it. Everyone else, we are getting off track I thought we were supposed to be about funny and stupid stuff not debating about a writer. So lets end this discussion and try to talk about something other than politics or beliefs.
Bruh.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Objectiveland wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:It's like Republicans having a "YOU DID BUILD THAT" rally in a building that was largely funded by the government.

Everyone knows governments invented buildings and there wouldn't be any without them. :rofl:

This is Charlie. Charlie is sick and tired of you attacking him. Please, leave Charlie alone.

Objectiveland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Objectiveland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Objectiveland wrote:Nor does being taught in state schools by incompetent moochers.

My teachers were incompetent? :eyebrow: Really?

When Karl Marx's book came out, nations throughout the world began establishing communist governments and established social democracies to help the poor and needy. Many of these social democracies survive one way or another today. It led to Lenin establishing a Communist government in Russia, leading to the USSR that collapsed in the late 20th century due to incompetence.

I stand corrected. In terms of incompetence communism is much more relevant. Thanks for pointing that out.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Objectiveland wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:It's like Republicans having a "YOU DID BUILD THAT" rally in a building that was largely funded by the government.

Tell me, how many leaderless bands had buildings? They were all nomadic, leaderless, hunter-gatherers. All the civilized states got a government (or a local strongman) at about the same time as buildings, so yes, without government there wouldn't be buildings
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Gaveo wrote:Everybody, common this is TET not some random thread about Ayn Rand. Objectiveland, while I think you have a right to talk and discuss in what you believe in I don't think this is the right thread for it. Everyone else, we are getting off track I thought we were supposed to be about funny and stupid stuff not debating about a writer. So lets end this discussion and try to talk about something other than politics or beliefs.

Hey, this truly beats having to wade through posters moaning about how bad life is.

In any case, perhaps this is a better discussion for Arts&Fiction.
Slava Ukraini

Ende
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ende » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Objectiveland wrote:

This is Charlie. Charlie is sick and tired of you attacking him. Please, leave Charlie alone.

This is the best "you're attacking a strawman" post I've ever seen. :lol:

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I have read the Fountainhead. When I did, I didn't think it was that bad, although the rape scene was messed up and most of the ideas presented in the novel was idiotic.

I want to read Atlas Shrugged, if only to see whether it was really as bad as everyone else says it is.

Objectiveland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Objectiveland » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Objectiveland wrote:
How so?

Have you really, really read through her books? Have you truly stopped and analyzed her writing? I have.

In the case of Atlas Shrugged: it is a contradictory work. It encourages emotional repression and disowning. Her characters aren't ones you can sympathize with since they're always launching into philosophical sermons. Not to mention that her prose is just shot with hatred.

Please. Your inept interpretation was, quite frankly, sophomoric. Quite silly to be honest.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Objectiveland wrote:

This ^ Seriously post something other then straw-man.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Gaveo wrote:Everybody, common this is TET not some random thread about Ayn Rand. Objectiveland, while I think you have a right to talk and discuss in what you believe in I don't think this is the right thread for it. Everyone else, we are getting off track I thought we were supposed to be about funny and stupid stuff not debating about a writer. So lets end this discussion and try to talk about something other than politics or beliefs.

Hey, this truly beats having to wade through posters moaning about how bad life is.

In any case, perhaps this is a better discussion for Arts&Fiction.

Okay, keep on arguing then. I will just shut up.
Bruh.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Ayn Rand was an idiot, something that is quite visible in her writing. Her works are, quite frankly, sophomoric. Quite silly to be honest.

I want to read Atlas Shrugged, if only to see whether it was really as bad as everyone else says it is.

I found it asinine.

But do read it, if you want to form your own opinion.
Slava Ukraini

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Ende wrote:This is the best "you're attacking a strawman" post I've ever seen. :lol:

I decided to mix it up a bit.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Objectiveland wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:My teachers were incompetent? :eyebrow: Really?

I stand corrected. In terms of incompetence communism is much more relevant. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good way to completely miss my point. :roll:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives