NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Freedom of Religion"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

[PASSED] Repeal "Freedom of Religion"

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:50 pm

Ooc: This will not be submitted until a replacement is already fully drafted. I am drafting a replacement here. This has become GA #631.

"I would like to clarify that, The Ice States' history on this particular matter notwithstanding, there is absolutely no ulterior motive for this repeal. We are not currently drafting a replacement at this time, but invite other World Assembly missions to also do so." The ambassador hides behind a desk after presenting the mission's latest draft to the public _

Believing that the protection of religious individuals from unfair persecution is indeed important, and accordingly respecting the resolution's intent to protect religious individuals,

Affirming that a replacement resolution has already been drafted, so as to ensure that religious freedoms are still protected internationally after repeal of the target, yet

Saddened that the resolution's mandate that restrictions on religious practices only be "the least restrictive means" to advance certain interests prevents member nations from advancing "safety, health, or good order" through more restrictive, albeit also more effective, means, including prohibiting cannibalism wholesale to address the practice's inherent health risks, as opposed to eg licensing and disease testing mandates which are less restrictive but also far less effective,

Emphasising that the requirement that restrictions on religious practices only be to advance interests in "health, safety, or good order" is also too narrow, as there are many other reasons that a member nation might want to restrict a religious practice, such as preventing sacrifice of endangered animals to advance environmental protection, the World Assembly

Declares "Freedom of Religion" null and void.
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 58 times in total.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:54 pm

"While GAR#430 has its flaws, we won't support a repeal without also a better replacement to follow it. We'll give more in-depth commentary once we've reviewed the proposal."
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:40 pm

Could you clarify which religious practices violate national defence laws? And your main argument simply isn't true. It's clearly referring to fundamentalist terrorist groups, not whole organised religions. While we support repeal without replacement we cannot support this.

-benji
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

ImperialRussia
Ambassador

Founded: May 16, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby ImperialRussia » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:46 pm

Our nation will not support this repeal

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:17 pm

"It is unfortunate that not enough delegations are aware of the importance of enforcing worship of the one true religion to be able to support this. However, we likely will not be pursuing this repeal further."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Coletti,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Empire of The Ice States
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:41 pm

"You're going to have to be a bit more specific, sir. There are just so many one true religions out there, you know. Are we talking about one of the various forms of Ástirism? Worship of Belar? Torak? It's so hard to keep track of which one's the truest nowadays."
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Simone Republic » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:40 am

If there is a viable replacement to get rid of the issue of cannibalism (with reference to IA's resolution on human meat), I am in support.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Heidgaudr wrote:"You're going to have to be a bit more specific, sir. There are just so many one true religions out there, you know. Are we talking about one of the various forms of Ástirism? Worship of Belar? Torak? It's so hard to keep track of which one's the truest nowadays."

"That would be Violetism, the only religion whose diety can be o-objectively proven to exist." Adelia Meritt replies.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:40 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:"I would like to clarify that, The Ice States' history on this particular matter notwithstanding, there is absolutely no ulterior motive for this repeal.
"I doubt that significantly. After all, The Ice States is a theocracy."- Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia
Recognising that as nearly all religions and religious groups hold fanatics willing to resort to "violence or coercive action", this can be abused by a delinquent member nation to "take action against" nearly all religious minorities on the grounds that their beliefs have manifested themselves in the form of violence, regardless of whether such violence is necessarily representative of the entire religious group,
"That clause is clearly referring to extremist cells, not to worship organisations." - Maria-Fernanda Novo, Ambassador
Seeking a replacement that addresses these flaws so as to adequately protect religious freedoms worldwide,
"If you truly want to write a replacement to deal with these flaws, then why aren't you writing one?" - Maria-Fernanda Novo, Ambassador
Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:"It is unfortunate that not enough delegations are aware of the importance of enforcing worship of the one true religion to be able to support this. However, we likely will not be pursuing this repeal further."
"So that's why you were writing this, you Theocratic Fuck! Articles 7 and 3 were merely a pitiful attempt to hide your real motivation for writing this draft! You couldn't even bother to hide behind a false sense of sensibility for any longer than it took to distribute copies!" - Maria-Fernanda Novo, Ambassador
Excidium Planetis wrote:
Heidgaudr wrote:"You're going to have to be a bit more specific, sir. There are just so many one true religions out there, you know. Are we talking about one of the various forms of Ástirism? Worship of Belar? Torak? It's so hard to keep track of which one's the truest nowadays."
"That would be Violetism, the only religion whose deity can be o-objectively proven to exist." Adelia Meritt replies.
"Your ability to prove the existence of someone who goes by the name of Violet is not worth as much as you think it is. Can you, in fact, prove that Violet is a deity as described in the doctrine of Violetism and that Violet does not significantly defer from doctrine?" - Maria-Fernanda Novo, Ambassador

OOC: I know that [Violet] is a game mod, and I'm assuming that [Violet]'s IC existence is similar to the IRL historicity of Jesus (someone with the name, faith, and profession probably existed at the time, but that doesn't prove or disprove the Gospels). There is precedent for Max Barry being a regular person IC(Him winning the Miss @@NATION@@ Pageant if you select the right issue answer), but I am unsure how it relates to [Violet] and Violetism
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:28 pm

Juansonia wrote:"Your ability to prove the existence of someone who goes by the name of Violet is not worth as much as you think it is. Can you, in fact, prove that Violet is a deity as described in the doctrine of Violetism and that Violet does not significantly defer from doctrine?"

"I-I'm not sure how to break this to you, Ambassador Novo, but the universe we live in is merely a computer simulation." Adelia whispers. "Don't any of these situations we find ourselves in seem just the least bit contrived to you? I mean think about it... nations moving between regions by helicopter? Multiple Earths of infinite size? Does any of this really make any logical sense??"

Adelia Meritt is quickly dragged off by the narrator and reprimanded for breaking character.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:22 pm

Well It Is Now Taken By Me
Do Not Post Advice In My Forum Posts!

An Incredible Idea To Ban Vegans/Vegetarians Or Eating Fruits/Vegetables! That Is Proof That Global Warming Is Great!

ONP News Pennyslov: Mayo Gong's Application To Join The Ovan Legislative Was Rejected|Police Officer Is Wrongly Accused Of Veganism And Was Put On Death Row|Ovan Monkey Is Extinct|

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:22 pm

But Differently

An Incredible Idea To Ban Vegans/Vegetarians Or Eating Fruits/Vegetables! That Is Proof That Global Warming Is Great!

ONP News Pennyslov: Mayo Gong's Application To Join The Ovan Legislative Was Rejected|Police Officer Is Wrongly Accused Of Veganism And Was Put On Death Row|Ovan Monkey Is Extinct|

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:24 pm

I Wrote Draft Instead Of Doting

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:26 pm

Or Is It Voting? I Could See Doting Instead

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 pm

Four one-line posts in a row is spam. After you've served your *** three-day forumban ***, don't do it again.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:11 am

Pennyslov wrote:Well It Is Now Taken By Me

OOC: You writing a draft does not take away someone else's right to draft something on the same topic. Also, either think about what you want to type beforehand, or use the edit button to add more to your post.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

The Finntopian Empire
Envoy

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Finntopian Empire » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:43 am

Simone Republic wrote:If there is a viable replacement to get rid of the issue of cannibalism (with reference to IA's resolution on human meat), I am in support.

^^^

El Lazaro
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 19, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby El Lazaro » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:02 am

The repeal is solid, but I’d like to see a replacement that would allow for common sense restrictions on violent/coercive groups. Granting freedom of assembly to these groups would basically be a religious exemption to inchoate crimes.

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:38 pm

"The mission has elected to redraft this to focus on the restrictive nature of Section 3. Once again, certain ambassadors who claim that we are drafting this just to allow the cracking down on false religions are PLAIN WRONG. We maintain that there is no ulterior motive for this draft."

Ooc: I will only be submitting this once there is already a replacement drafted.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:06 pm

I am still not convinced by this draft.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:44 pm

As we see that there is plan to draft a replacement, we'll decide our position on the basis of how good the replacement is (as opposed to outright opposing this repeal on the basis that it has no ready replacement)

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:07 pm

No opposition in principle. Support.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:11 am

"We are now in the process of publicly drafting a replacement. Feedback remains appreciated."

WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:46 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:"We are now in the process of publicly drafting a replacement. Feedback remains appreciated."

Support now that there is a replacement draft in progress.

Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:22 pm

Bump.
WA authorship.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives