NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Humane Livestock Marking Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:51 am

We fail to see how a nation chooses to brand their livestock is an international issue.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Lemonacia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:19 am

Goddess Relief Office wrote:I fully support this resolution. Thanks for writing something like this.
Lemonacia wrote:NOTING that the pain inflicted upon livestock in the process of branding is extreme and completely unnecassary with available marking procedures

The word 'unnecessary' has a spelling error.

Lemonacia wrote:DEFINING the process of branding as the marking of the hide of livestock using a heated or cooled (in the case of freeze branding) implement to burn an insignia or mark of ownership into the hide of the animal for any purpose

I noted you have since changed the proposal to include "all livestock", however, it seems that the definition is still largely meant for cattle. Perhaps change the word "hide" to something else? I rarely see the word apply to anything other than cattle.

Thank you for your help, corrections have been implemented.

Regarding the point raised by the representative of Philimbesi, we Lemonacians feel that if a topic is worth debating within a single nation, it worth debating internationally. Branding is a brutal, inhumane practice that we feel is a blemish on an already morally delicate industry; agriculture. Many nations have laws regarding the treatment of domesticated pet animals; why should this courtesy not extend to creatures that surely should command much higher respect than any pet? I refer of course to the livestock that put food on the table for many a nation.
Ambassador Graham Wakefield.
Representitive of the peaceful republic of Lemonacia.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I have now officlally submitted this legislation in it's current form, taking it out of the draft stage. Thanks to everyone who provided support and suggestions.

EDIT: HERP DERP ENDORSEMENTS NEEDED DERPEDY HERP
Last edited by Lemonacia on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Moral Decency? How?
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Sanctaria wrote:Moral Decency? How?

The Proposal restricts the right to brand livestock in a bid to improve the welfare of said livestock.
What would you have chosen?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Lemonacia wrote:

The Proposal restricts the right to brand livestock in a bid to improve the welfare of said livestock.
What would you have chosen?

Fair enough.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Animal Cruelty Prevention was in the same category, iirc. The essence of the category is banning a social or economic practice in the name of civil rights as far as I can tell, so this seems to fit.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Ossitania wrote:

Animal Cruelty Prevention was in the same category, iirc. The essence of the category is banning a social or economic practice in the name of civil rights as far as I can tell, so this seems to fit.

I know what the category is and I never once said I disagreed with the placement of this resolution in said category. It's just sometimes necessary to double check with authors to see why they put X resolution in Y category, especially when earlier drafts of X resolution included categories which didn't even exist.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:31 am

I have recieved the required endorsements and I am now officially submitting this proposal.
Thanks to everyone for your help, guidance, criticism and support.

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Proposing a link to the text isn't going to work. You'll need to actually put the text of the proposal into the proposal.

Zaklen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaklen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Against. You do realize that we kill livestock and eat them, right? I think branding is rather mild compared to that.
- Peter Zyvex
Supreme Ruler of Zaklen

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Zaklen wrote:Against. You do realize that we kill livestock and eat them, right? I think branding is rather mild compared to that.

Yes, but most nations attempt to at least do this humanely. In my opinion, branding is far more cruel.
Eating is part of the circle of life.
Branding is just not needed.

Stalltopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Stalltopia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:19 pm

While I agree that the humane branding of livestock is a noble goal, my issue with this involves the actual implementation of the policy. Is enforcing this issue really an appropriate use of government resources when there are so many other more important issues that need funding?

I argue that a there are nations in the World Assembly that cannot afford to enforce this policy, and therefore in fairness to these nations branding laws should be passed on a national level and not on the Assembly level.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Mooey the Green Cow says, "If you really cared about me, you'd write a proposal about something more relevant than replacing branding with colorful dyes. Free-range or open-range grazing is much less common today than it was in the past, and the problem of cattle rustlers has gone by the wayside. So branding isn't really all that relevant. I kinda wish it were, since the temporary pain of a brand would be worth it if afterwords I got to graze in an open range, rather than being shoved into crowded, grassless pens while they fatten me up for slaughter. If you really cared about me and my kind, maybe you could do something about factory farming rather than waste your time dying a few cows pretty colors."
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:(Image)
Mooey the Green Cow says, "If you really cared about me, you'd write a proposal about something more relevant than replacing branding with colorful dyes. Free-range or open-range grazing is much less common today than it was in the past, and the problem of cattle rustlers has gone by the wayside. So branding isn't really all that relevant. I kinda wish it were, since the temporary pain of a brand would be worth it if afterwords I got to graze in an open range, rather than being shoved into crowded, grassless pens while they fatten me up for slaughter. If you really cared about me and my kind, maybe you could do something about factory farming rather than waste your time dying a few cows pretty colors."

Responses to Delegate Mooey:

1. I intend to draft up several proposals regarding the welfare of livestock, so don't worry about free/open range grazing. It'll happen soon, this is just a starting step.

2. I don't intend for nations to dye the livestock completely (i.e. head to foot? hoof?). Just a dawb of colour or a logo. Although, it's completely down to the discretion of the owner.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:32 pm

How a nation chooses to mark it's livestock is not an international issue. Opposed.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Marcdonia Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcdonia Empire » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:46 pm

This is a domestic issue at most. You cannot force entire nations to do this. Against.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 am

Marcdonia Empire wrote:This is a domestic issue at most. You cannot force entire nations to do this. Against.

His Most Citrusy feels that this is a matter of international importance, due to the sheer barbaric pointlessness of the practice.
Never the less, you are entitled to your opinion, and I am grateful for the feedback.

Nova Mykenae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Mykenae » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:10 pm

"If we are going to kill it and eat it anyway, what does it matter how we brand our cattle" -- says Ambassador Ozzie as he stuffs his mouth full of grade A beef. "Now excuse me while I go out to brand my cattle with a rusty knife, as our people have done since the beginning of recorded history."

Marcdonia Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcdonia Empire » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Furthermore, I'm not painting my cows.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:45 am

You know, there's a reason that branding is used to mark livestock, permanence. If an animal is only painted, some unscrupulous individual could come along and simply paint over the mark and claim that the animal is actually theirs. On the other hand, it's pretty hard to get rid of a mark from a branding iron.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:42 am

I have read and understood many of the delegates complaints.
Taking the advice of some colleagues, if the current version of the proposal does not reach Quorum (which seems likely) I will amend the proposal to allow the use of RFID tagging, which is permanant, humane and difficult to tamper with.

Stalltopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Stalltopia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 am

The Holy Empire of Stalltopia believes that the issue lies not with RFID tagging, but with the fact that this has always been and will continue to be a domestic issue and not an international one.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 am

I understand that many nations feel this to be a domestic issue, but this is not the feeling of the Lemonacian people, who will continue to rally to have this Act passed.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Lemonacia wrote:I have read and understood many of the delegates complaints.
Taking the advice of some colleagues, if the current version of the proposal does not reach Quorum (which seems likely) I will amend the proposal to allow the use of RFID tagging, which is permanant, humane and difficult to tamper with.

Considering that the title of the submitted version is "The Humane Livestock Marking A" you might want to consider petitioning the Secretariat to have it removed.

Lemonacia wrote:I understand that many nations feel this to be a domestic issue, but this is not the feeling of the Lemonacian people, who will continue to rally to have this Act passed.

And how many failures to reach quorum will it take before you realize that you don't have enough support to pass this?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly