NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Humane Livestock Marking Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Lemonacia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Humane Livestock Marking Act

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:37 pm

An Act To Improve The Wellbeing and Treatment Of Livestock
Strength - Significant
Category - Moral Decency

The General Assembly

APPALLED by the long-held agricultural tradition of branding livestock as a method to mark them as a defence against loss and theft

NOTING that the pain inflicted upon livestock in the process of branding is extreme and completely unnecessary with available marking procedures

FEELING that the branding process is barbaric and cruel

DEFINING the process of branding as the marking of the hide, skin or pelt of livestock using a heated or cooled (in the case of freeze branding) implement to burn an insignia or mark of ownership into the hide of the animal for any purpose

HEREBY MANDATES that all livestock be humanely marked using methods that do not inflict pain, and minimize suffering, distress and physical damage to the animal, such as paints, dyes and pigments

HEREBY MANDATES that any paints, dyes or pigments used be non-toxic and utilise no chemicals that are directly or perceivably harmful to the health and wellbeing of the animal.
Last edited by Lemonacia on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:31 am, edited 11 times in total.
Ambassador Graham Wakefield.
Representitive of the peaceful republic of Lemonacia.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Category and strength?

Allie Youngblood

Addendum: "Animal Welfare" is not an available category for proposals, ambassador.
Last edited by Individuality-ness on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:43 pm

His Most Citrusy would like to extend his apologies to the General Assembly for any errors within this act.
His Most Citrusy has never submitted anything to the floor before and requests a level of tolerance to his mistakes, and guiding advice while he corrects them.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:44 pm

HEREBY MANDATES that all cattle be humanely marked using methods that do not inflict pain, suffering or physical damage to the cattle, such as paints, dyes and pigments.

Since any form of marking will cause physical damage, this forbids all forms of marking.

Also, why just cattle?
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Andrewsburgville
Secretary

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Andrewsburgville » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:45 pm

I say it s decent, but as stated above, makes it really difficult to mark cattle humanely. Good one for the first time though!
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
I am a catholic democrat!
"Is this your lifestyle?"- Faraz Khan

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Don't worry ambassador. Not all of the nations whose representatives roam these halls are vicious.

I would recommend heading over to the WA Library and reading up on the types of categories available for proposal submission.

Allie Youngblood
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:
HEREBY MANDATES that all cattle be humanely marked using methods that do not inflict pain, suffering or physical damage to the cattle, such as paints, dyes and pigments.

Since any form of marking will cause physical damage, this forbids all forms of marking.

Also, why just cattle?

How does a paint or dye cause damage? His Most Citrusy feels that if one is willing to go to such a length as to burn animals as proof of ownership, repainting the animal occasionally is surely something one is willing to do in the pursuit of proof.

EDIT: I would also imagine there are methods of permanantly dying the hide.

I have considered the cattle points, and have modified the act to cover all livestock.
Last edited by Lemonacia on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:51 pm

All marking causes physical damage? What? Why can't they be marked with paint like sheep are?
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Ossitania wrote:All marking causes physical damage? What? Why can't they be marked with paint like sheep are?

I believe this is what this proposal is attempting to do, ambassador.

Allie Youngblood

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
Ossitania wrote:All marking causes physical damage? What? Why can't they be marked with paint like sheep are?

Allie Youngblood

Exactly.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Allie Youngblood

Yes, but the ambassador from Moronist Decisions has argued that all marking causes physical damage. I am querying him as to why.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Ossitania wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:I believe this is what this proposal is attempting to do, ambassador.

Allie Youngblood

Yes, but the ambassador from Moronist Decisions has argued that all marking causes physical damage. I am querying him as to why.

I believe that his argument would be that paint would leave markings on the hide, which, if you stretch the definition of physical damage enough, is technically damage, as the chemicals in the dyes can sink into the skin and harm the livestock.

But I would like to see his argument as well.

Allie Youngblood

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:01 pm

I would like to just mention that the act has now been officially updated to cover all livestock now, not just cattle.
I feel that the rights of livestock in general are very much overlooked, and I will likely be proposing further legislation in regards to livestock welfare.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Ossitania wrote:

I believe that his argument would be that paint would leave markings on the hide, which, if you stretch the definition of physical damage enough, is technically damage, as the chemicals in the dyes can sink into the skin and harm the livestock.

But I would like to see his argument as well.

Allie Youngblood

The Proposal already says that the method must cause no physical harm; I feel that this automatically covers toxins in the dye, mandating the use of non-toxic dyes.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:07 pm

The point is that any form of permanent marking can be considered damage (even modern tattooing). Also, I'm sure the animal doesn't enjoy the procedure.

I'd recommend writing

HEREBY MANDATES that all livestock be humanely marked using methods that minimizes pain, suffering or physical damage to the animal, such as paints, dyes and pigments.

Not sure we support this particular proposal though.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Lemonacia wrote:HEREBY MANDATES that all livestock be humanely marked using methods that do not inflict pain, suffering or physical damage to the animal, such as paints, dyes and pigments.

The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:10 pm

The point is that any form of permanent marking can be considered damage (even modern tattooing). Also, I'm sure the animal doesn't enjoy the procedure.

I'd recommend writing

HEREBY MANDATES that all livestock be humanely marked using methods that minimizes pain, suffering or physical damage to the animal, such as paints, dyes and pigments.

Not sure we support this particular proposal though.

I have taken on board your suggestion and will be updating the proposal.

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:18 pm

The proposal has been updated.
I have also increased the strength to Medium, in accordance with the broadening of this proposal to all livestock.

His Most Citrusy would like to query members of the WA as to whether they feel a clause such as

"HEREBY OUTLAWS the process of livestock branding"

would be a worthwhile addition to the proposal, or if it is unneeded?

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Lemonacia wrote:HEREBY MANDATES that all livestock be humanely marked using methods that do not inflict pain, suffering or physical damage to the animal, such as paints, dyes and pigments.

His Most Citrusy would also like to express his amusement at the picture submitted by the Cowardly Pacifists.
His Most Citrusy raises the point that he does not wish to be proposing the animal version of the Indigo Mandate.
Last edited by Lemonacia on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Lemonacia wrote:The proposal has been updated.
I have also increased the strength to Medium, in accordance with the broadening of this proposal to all livestock.

His Most Citrusy would like to query members of the WA as to whether they feel a clause such as

Not needed. That can be interpreted as a contradiction to said proposal.

Allie Youngblood

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Lemonacia wrote:The proposal has been updated.

Not needed. That can be interpreted as a contradiction to said proposal.

Allie Youngblood

Thank you for the feedback.
Could you please explain how it could be interpreted that way? I don't intend to add it now, but it would if I knew so I could learn from my mistake.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Medium is not an available strength. "Significant" might be better.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Medium is not an available strength. "Significant" might be better.

Thank you for correcting me. My mistake.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Lemonacia wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Not needed. That can be interpreted as a contradiction to said proposal.

Allie Youngblood

Could you please explain how it could be interpreted that way? I don't intend to add it now, but it would if I knew so I could learn from my mistake.

Basically, branding can mean either literal branding, as in burning hot cattle prods, or branding as in tattoos or dyes. You want the livestock to be branded in more humane ways.

Allie Youngblood

Lemonacia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Lemonacia wrote:

Basically, branding can mean either literal branding, as in burning hot cattle prods, or branding as in tattoos or dyes. You want the livestock to be branded in more humane ways.

Allie Youngblood

I defined branding within the proposal. But, I see what you mean.
Well, it's time for His Most Citrus's snoozy time. I will return to the floor upon waking.

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:32 am

I fully support this resolution. Thanks for writing something like this.
Lemonacia wrote:NOTING that the pain inflicted upon livestock in the process of branding is extreme and completely unnecassary with available marking procedures

The word 'unnecessary' has a spelling error.

Lemonacia wrote:DEFINING the process of branding as the marking of the hide of livestock using a heated or cooled (in the case of freeze branding) implement to burn an insignia or mark of ownership into the hide of the animal for any purpose

I noted you have since changed the proposal to include "all livestock", however, it seems that the definition is still largely meant for cattle. Perhaps change the word "hide" to something else? I rarely see the word apply to anything other than cattle.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly