NATION

PASSWORD

THE 2nd Cataclysm 1920. IC-CLOSED per Sign Up.

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:25 am

OOC: Kievistan did start this. Dehlah doesn't know that because she's getting her intel from a lying sack of kehkh-vil: the Kah Ahnto'nee Nahcs, Dehnek Akhpunobacs. Akhpunobacs wanted Wo'n Darshekeen in a war, and so pushed for an allegiance with the Kievis, then lied to his government about who started it. Since he is the highest ranking officer in all of the Vushicskah Fa, they believe him. I need them to keep believing him for a bit, because the same stubborn sense of honor that forces them to back the Kievis, now, will have them switching sides in a heartbeat when/if they find out what really happened.

OOC (Attn Australien): I was going to say that unless your guy reads the Katothwa Re characters
Nahcsnahdu = Image
Kucsah = Image
Krat = Image

he won't be able to make heads or tails of the ships' names; but maybe we should say they are transliterated into roman characters as a secondary listing... In case there's someone on board who does read Katothwa Re, "cs" is pronounced more like a straight "s." The spelling is mostly because the KR character for the S sound is C. Sorry to be confusing. I'll try to post an ORBAT map in a bit.
Last edited by Wonderchicken on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Web Comic | Our Flag Is Not Islamic | Chickens? | Wochik Trivia | Thrinian Wochiktum | Sentinel of the Holy Grammar
Katothwa Re: Hase§ ga Hasaxet te
English: The Glory of God is Intelligence
Tavan: Te uomeva di ome hokueri ewhuei.
Cilnotuzian: U vzìleu sa Saom à u Ecnazeväcreu.
Tăkăracepĭra: Tămĕṕa ramĕṕĭcańa gecipăra ńeratĕ.
Cat: Ahuí A:hrx Cý:c

Australien
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:56 am

Wonderchicken wrote:OOC: Kievistan did start this. Dehlah doesn't know that because she's getting her intel from a lying sack of kehkh-vil: the Kah Ahnto'nee Nahcs, Dehnek Akhpunobacs. Akhpunobacs wanted Wo'n Darshekeen in a war, and so pushed for an allegiance with the Kievis, then lied to his government about who started it. Since he is the highest ranking officer in all of the Vushicskah Fa, they believe him. I need them to keep believing him for a bit, because the same stubborn sense of honor that forces them to back the Kievis, now, will have them switching sides in a heartbeat when/if they find out what really happened.

OOC (Attn Australien): I was going to say that unless your guy reads the Katothwa Re characters
Nahcsnahdu = (Image)
Kucsah = (Image)
Krat = (Image)

he won't be able to make heads or tails of the ships' names; but maybe we should say they are transliterated into roman characters as a secondary listing... In case there's someone on board who does read Katothwa Re, "cs" is pronounced more like a straight "s." The spelling is mostly because the KR character for the S sound is C. Sorry to be confusing. I'll try to post an ORBAT map in a bit.

OOC- I guess we could say that your ships also have Romanised characters for convenience, as yours is the only nation that speaks Wochick, so it would be convenient when working with other nations (IE, Kievistan), so they've been painted on in preparation for wargames.
My Political Compass:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-2.12&soc=-1.95

The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic -Joseph Stalin

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Australien wrote:
Wonderchicken wrote:OOC (Attn Australien): I was going to say that unless your guy reads the Katothwa Re characters, he won't be able to make heads or tails of the ships' names; but maybe we should say they are transliterated into roman characters as a secondary listing... In case there's someone on board who does read Katothwa Re, "cs" is pronounced more like a straight "s." The spelling is mostly because the KR character for the S sound is C. Sorry to be confusing. I'll try to post an ORBAT map in a bit.

OOC- I guess we could say that your ships also have Romanised characters for convenience, as yours is the only nation that speaks Wochick Katothwa Re, so it would be convenient when working with other nations (IE, Kievistan), so they've been painted on in preparation for wargames.

^This :)

ETA: Okay, here's that ORBAT. Bear in mind, this only provides rough estimates of where the groups of my ships are, and not necessarily the individual ships' specific headings or relationship to other ships in the same group...
Last edited by Wonderchicken on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Web Comic | Our Flag Is Not Islamic | Chickens? | Wochik Trivia | Thrinian Wochiktum | Sentinel of the Holy Grammar

Australien
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Wonderchicken wrote:
Australien wrote:OOC- I guess we could say that your ships also have Romanised characters for convenience, as yours is the only nation that speaks Wochick Katothwa Re, so it would be convenient when working with other nations (IE, Kievistan), so they've been painted on in preparation for wargames.

^This :)

ETA: Okay, here's that ORBAT. Bear in mind, this only provides rough estimates of where the groups of my ships are, and not necessarily the individual ships' specific headings or relationship to other ships in the same group...

OOC-Awesome. It's good to know were we all stand (Or float, if you'll endure one of my puns!)
My Political Compass:

The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic -Joseph Stalin

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:45 am

OOC: Alright, I understand. I remember you saying that previously, but I wasn't exactly sure how things transpired. Anyway, I adjusted my post... feel free to respond at your pleasure.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 am

Nullarni wrote:Xander rolled his eyes in a very undiplomatic manner, "<Don't try to sell me on the victimhood of the Kievis. They are the ones who broke their treaty with the Leberites. Lowell Leber is simply responding in a what can only be considered an appropriate manner. I am actually rather surprised at how you stand by Kievistan. It definitely does not make Wo'n Darshekeen look very good. I hope you expect to be heavily demonized for supporting them.>"

Xander continued, "<And on the topic of the Nullarrish. They are inconsequential in this mess. They import almost forty percent of their agricultural products from Nullarni. They require Nullarni just for their survival. I am sure Nullarri would support any Nullarnish venture in hopes of a few stray shiblons falling their way.>" Xander paused, "<By the way, I am going to ignore your thinly veiled threats, particularly the one about the Vushicskah Fa disrupting civilian trade routes. But since you brought it up, Wo'n Darshekeen is in a very difficult position. Should they insist on participation, the Wochik supply lines will stretch thousands of miles over open ocean and you can expect plenty of harassment from the Australiens and the Leberites. Of course, neither of us are military strategists. We merely decide when the wars start and when they end...>"

"<Threats?>" Dehlah was genuinely taken aback. "<Do you really believe I would threaten you, brother? Is that all you hear? You have spent too much time in the military, Xander. I have no wish to see Wo'n Darshekeen at odds with Nullarni, and neither does the Kah Nexhur. Neither do the Wochik people, in my estimation. But I should not have to tell you how the Wochik people will react to a nation--any nation--that has opposed us in war. You have seen how that continues to affect the Keddiks. I should not have to tell you that any trade which passes through the Ivoah passes through Wo'n Darshekeen. I would like to see Nullarni truly benefit from your canal, but we both know that benefit will be lessened if our countrymen have shed each others' blood. That is no threat. You know it to be the way things are. I should have thought that our days at University, and more particularly that day in Hacs-Tolahkh, would have made you aware of that.>"

"<As to the Kievis and the Leberites...>" Here, she reached into her attache, and produced documents from the Pahtu Icskah Fa. "<I have it from the Kah Ahnto'nee Nahcs, himself, who is at this moment abroad in Kievistan, that the Leberite military had been amassing troop strength near the border nearly the entire month of February. The only preparations the Kievis made were for war games scheduled with the Pahtu Icskah Fa. Then, on 1 March, 1920, Leberite forces mounted an unprovoked attack on a Kievi detachment stationed along the two nations' southern border, using a snow storm to mask their assault.>" She slid the documents, with their several sections blackened out, to Xander. "<I know you, Xander. I know that you sincerely believe the lies the Leberites have fed your government. But you have been misled, my brother, and I don't want you paying for that with Nullarnish blood1.>"

1 - BWAHAHAHAHAAAA! ...Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Poor Dehlah. I hope Xander doesn't hold this statement over her head too much, later. Boy, will she be embarrassed...

Nullarni
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:34 am

Wonderchicken wrote:"<Threats?>" Dehlah was genuinely taken aback. "<Do you really believe I would threaten you, brother? Is that all you hear? You have spent too much time in the military, Xander. I have no wish to see Wo'n Darshekeen at odds with Nullarni, and neither does the Kah Nexhur. Neither do the Wochik people, in my estimation. But I should not have to tell you how the Wochik people will react to a nation--any nation--that has opposed us in war. You have seen how that continues to affect the Keddiks. I should not have to tell you that any trade which passes through the Ivoah passes through Wo'n Darshekeen. I would like to see Nullarni truly benefit from your canal, but we both know that benefit will be lessened if our countrymen have shed each others' blood. That is no threat. You know it to be the way things are. I should have thought that our days at University, and more particularly that day in Hacs-Tolahkh, would have made you aware of that.>"

"<As to the Kievis and the Leberites...>" Here, she reached into her attache, and produced documents from the Pahtu Icskah Fa. "<I have it from the Kah Ahnto'nee Nahcs, himself, who is at this moment abroad in Kievistan, that the Leberite military had been amassing troop strength near the border nearly the entire month of February. The only preparations the Kievis made were for war games scheduled with the Pahtu Icskah Fa. Then, on 1 March, 1920, Leberite forces mounted an unprovoked attack on a Kievi detachment stationed along the two nations' southern border, using a snow storm to mask their assault.>" She slid the documents, with their several sections blackened out, to Xander. "<I know you, Xander. I know that you sincerely believe the lies the Leberites have fed your government. But you have been misled, my brother, and I don't want you paying for that with Nullarnish blood1.>"

1 - BWAHAHAHAHAAAA! ...Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Poor Dehlah. I hope Xander doesn't hold this statement over her head too much, later. Boy, will she be embarrassed...

Xander took the documents and looked at them closely.

"<Interesting...>" he muttered, "<...Very interesting... I must admit, I am, a little taken aback. We were aware of the Leberites building up their forces along their border. We were told it was in response to the war games... This explains their depth charging your sinker...>"

"<May I keep these?" Xander asked holding up the documents, "<This accusation of Leberite treachery is going to require a bit more than our word to back it up...>"

Xander smiled across the table at Dehlah, "<Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This very well may change everything. I take it back, this trip has been very productive.>"

OOC: Heh heh, I like that. This works out very nicely.

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Nullarni wrote:Xander took the documents and looked at them closely.

"<Interesting...>" he muttered, "<...Very interesting... I must admit, I am, a little taken aback. We were aware of the Leberites building up their forces along their border. We were told it was in response to the war games... This explains their depth charging your sinker...>"

"<May I keep these?" Xander asked holding up the documents, "<This accusation of Leberite treachery is going to require a bit more than our word to back it up...>"

Xander smiled across the table at Dehlah, "<Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This very well may change everything. I take it back, this trip has been very productive.>"

OOC: Heh heh, I like that. This works out very nicely.

"<I'm afraid I'll need to keep this particular copy,>" Dehlah responded, motioning Gil over. "<Gil, would you see to it that the Ambassador receives a full copy of these documents?>"

"<Certainly,>" he said, placing the documents in his own attache and settling back in his seat. He seemed ready for the talks to continue.

"<Gil...>"

"<Yes?>"

"<The Ambassador needs that document duplicated.>"

"<Yes, Ambassador.>" Gil patted his attache, as if to say "Got it right here." A moment passed, and every eye in the room turned to Gil Darshu. The humming of the electrical clock on the wall attained a certain godlike intensity as Gil began to wonder if his hair was out of... "<Oh, you mean right now!>"

"<Yes, Gil.>" Dehlah drew her "yes" out, like an exasperated mother finally watching the light bulb ignite in her toddler's eyes. "<Go, Gil. I'll be fine. And it will give you something to do besides listen for surreptitious whispers from our guests...>" Gil colored slightly at this (an odd sight on a Zhehkhahti), as that was precisely what he had spent much of the time doing. He stood and departed, excusing himself somewhat clumsily in his embarrassment. Dehlah turned back to Xander, and was about to speak when she felt an unmistakable gurgle. Blushing slightly, she smiled.

"<You know, Xander, this errand will take Gil a little time, and I should contact Kah Ahnto'nee Cseen to apprise him of the news you bring of our sinker. Perhaps I can convince you to join me for a nice bowl of Cstompot in the Keddik quarter, shortly? I know a place that...Well, it's not as good as Bi-Ehnuk-zheh1, but it's not bad, and Hacs-Tolahkh is too far to travel just for a meal, even by rail.>"

1 - I suppose I could just have translated this to Ehnuk's, but that just wouldn't be the name of the place. Katothwa Re uses the prefix "bi" (short I sound, like in "sit") and the appropriate third-person pronoun added as a suffix to show possession. Given that Xander and Dehlah have a still-as-yet-unwritten past, I thought they might share a taste in ethnic food.

Australien
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Bump.
My Political Compass:

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Wonderchicken wrote:
Lowell Leber wrote:Bridge-LLS Enterprise
Flagship Battle Squadron 4
10 nautical miles west-southwest of Bremenchester.
March 5 1920 0540 hours.
[spoiler]"Contacts, bearing eight-five-zero! Range, ten miles!" With that announcement form the observation officer over the loudspeaker the game was on. Klaxon horns went off on every ship in the group as hatches were battened and guns trained. Fire control officers began to compute possible solutions and damage control parties readied themselves.
Admiral Simpson came over the wireless and through the 1-MC to all the crews of every ship in his group. "Now here this, we are going to war! Destroyers in the front and prepare to launch torpedoes when targets are acquired. All ships can fire at will. That is all!"...

The main Wochik group is already ten miles from shore for the shelling of Bremenchester, and the battlecruiser detachment will already be father west than that (on a heading of about 280 degrees). Begging your pardon, I'd like to suggest that, since you said to have your group spot the battlecruisers first, in order to make my post and keep things moving I'm going to scoot you west about 20 miles...

Bridge - WDN Ahbi Ahdai-no
Scouting detachment lead vessel
Roughly five miles west of Wochik main group, ten miles east of LLS Enterprise
5 MAR 1920, 05:45 hours

"<Vushvahkh, contact.>" Pehcs Darshu, the Ahbi Ahdai-no's Vahkh Naydar, was a career Vushicskah Fa woman. There was precious little her Vushvahkh had ever seen faze her, even in the years they served together aboard the Fahgics1 (a rickety tub so whose name was so inappropriate that her crew rarely dared to speak it). Some attributed Darshu's composure to her being Zhehkhahti. In any case, the tiniest flicker of concern in her voice sent a chill down her Vushvahkh's back. She continued, "<Lookouts have spotted what appears to be a significant Leberite fleet inbound, bearing 2-6-5.>" This took Vushvahkh Khotparicsah2 completely by surprise.

"<West of our position?? They were supposed to be south of us!>"

"<I will inform the Leberites of their error,>" Darshu replied sardonically. "<Until then, we are ranged approximately ten miles from the advancing ships.>" Khotparicsah checked his composure.

"<You are right, of course,>" he admitted, grabbing binoculars and striding to the windows. Upon spotting the Leberites, he let out a low whistle. "<Three Kahtóshkah Hacsfehtah class battlecruisers won't last long against that. Helm, make your heading 3-5-0, flank speed ahead. Pehcs, I think we're going to need to radio the Kah Ahnto'nee.>"

"<She won't like us breaking radio silence.>"

"<I think she'll like it better than losing three battlecruisers and getting surprised by those Leberites.>" Darshu nodded her concession of the fact. "<Give her our heading and the enemy's position. If we can get them to follow us, the Kah Ahnto'nee can bring her group up behind. Once the Nahcsnahdu is in position, we only have to last a short while against the Leberites to catch them in a pinch.>"

"Peh-o, Vushvahkh."

"<And somebody start shooting at those boats out there, for heaven's sake! Ten miles is well within firing range!>"

1 - Fahgics translates as "immortal."
2 - Translates as "Rider."

LLS McGuire
(Enterprise Class)
Lead Ship of Battlegroup 4.
March 5 1920 0542 hours.

The shells from the Wochik vessels landed astride the bow of the ship as she made flank speed to close the range slightly. However, as she began her turn to starboard to be able to provide broadside cover for the charging destroyers three Wochik shells hit home fore and aft of the the #1 turret. The damage was somewhat slight at first glance, until #1 turrets crew realized that their turret was now jammed facing towards the bow of the ship. McGuire's firepower was now cut to 3/4ths of what it had been.[/spoiler]
LLSJennifer
(Erika Class Destroyer)

As the Jennifer made flank speed in order close to torpedo range on one of the Wochik capital ships, two massive shells from the enemy hit home and she blew up in a massive fireball, leaving only the stern of the ship to quickly sink beneath the waves.
Last edited by Lowell Leber on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:58 pm

5 MAR 1920, 05:59 hours

"<We got one!!>" Even over the din of naval artillery, Vushicskah-Pahv Dul's exuberant cry could easily be heard. The young helmsman turned, beaming, to the Vushvahkh. "<Did you see how quickly that Leberite bucket...>"

"<That's enough!>" Vahkh-Naydar Darshu barked, stepping onto the bridge. "<There remains more than enough peril for us, here, Vushicskah-Pahv. Kindly see to your duties.>" Cowed, Dul returned his gaze to the battle raging outside. Vushvahkh Khotparicsah's face was grim. He didn't want his crew to lose heart.

"<It is one thing to be grateful when we overcome an enemy or an obstacle, but let us not celebrate the loss of anyone's life, or look too proudly to our own strength for causing it.>" He cast his gaze around the bridge, and each officer nodded resolutely. As they all returned their attention to their various duties, Khotparicsah focused on his first officer. "<Darshu, what news?>"

"<We've been lucky, so far, Vushvahkh. We've avoided any major blows, but the vessel that just went down seems to be an exception to the armor on the Leberite fleet. You saw what happened to that capital ship, the...>"

"<McGuire. Yes. She took what looked to me like a fair hit to the bow, and I don't even see her smoking.>"

"<It's not only that, Vushvahkh. As I said, we've been lucky. We both know that can't be counted on. The Vah Zheh reports she has lost the use of her starboard torpedo tube from a near miss and she has also taken hits to her main aft battery. It's only a matter of time before their guns find their m...>"

As if to drive her point home, the concussion of a direct hit on the superstructure between the Ahbi Ahdai-no's second turret and her bridge slammed through the glass and threw several of the crew against the aft bulkhead. There were a few moments of haze in Pehcs Darshu's mind before she was able to lift herself from the deck and assess the damage. Khotparicsah was dead, a large shard of glass protruding gruesomely from his chest. Helmsman Dul lay limply across the rail near his post. Even before the ringing in her ears subsided, Darshu heard herself barking orders.

"<Haynecs! Get as many of the fallen to sick bay as quickly as you can! Get Gehnu and Csarj to help you!>" She looked again at her old, dear friend, and knew that the longer this fight continued, the less chance her three battlecruisers would stand. Though her head throbbed with the effort, she fairly threw the nearest sailor to Dul's post. "<Zucsay! Get to the helm! Come about to 1-9-6 degrees! All ahead, flank! Peev! Signal Vah Zheh and Gah Dee'ahn! We're closing the gap, and I want every gunner who calls himself Wochik to show those Leberites what it means to face a Son of Darshek!>"
Last edited by Wonderchicken on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowell Leber
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:07 pm

LLS Enterprise
March 5 1920
0600 hours

As the sun continued to climb over the the horizon, Vice Admiral Simpson's worries began to fade. True he had lost a destroyer from his group and the McGuire had a damaged turret, but now the three Wochik battlecruisers he was facing were clearly sillhouted against the eastern sunrise. And as his capital ships turned to lay down broadsides, he was confident that his gunners would find their marks.

"Comm, order the destroyers back to the battle line! And order all ships to fire at will!" Just as he turned back to scan the scene, another explosion occured on the McGuire. This one a bit larger than the previous...
IC The Leberite Empire

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm

5 MAR 1920, 06:04 hours

"<Damned sunrise! We're perfect targets here!>" Haynecs had insisted on seeing to the gash on Vahkh-Naydar Darshu's head, and she now swatted him away as she yelled to the helm, "<Make your course 2-5-0! Curse it, Haynecs, get off of me! Peev, get the message to Vah Zheh and Gah Dee'ahn!>"

"<Vahkh-Naydar! Look!>" Every eye on the bridge stared, gobsmacked, at the LLS McGuire...
Last edited by Wonderchicken on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowell Leber
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:26 pm

March 5 1920
0602 hours

Little did anyone know on either side what was about to happen. After the second explosion on the McGuire a breach in the armor in front of the afore disabled #1 turret occured. A second shot had found its way into this breach and had landed in the magazine for the said turret. Though due to a faulty fuse it had not detonated immediately.

However, it did detonate. And with it so did the ammunition and powder charges stored in the magazine. A huge explosion and fountain of fire erupted as the McGuire from the conning tower forward ceased to exist. Secondary explosions could then be heard as the #2 magazine cooked off as well. Sailors from both sides paused and observed the awesome yet terrifying specticle.
Last edited by Lowell Leber on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC The Leberite Empire

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:
March 5 1920
0602 hours

Little did anyone know on either side what was about to happen. After the second explosion on the McGuire a breach in the armor in front of the afore disabled #1 turret occurred. A second shot had found its way into this breach and had landed in the magazine for the said turret. Though due to a faulty fuse it had not detonated immediately.

However, it did detonate. And with it so did the ammunition and powder charges stored in the magazine. A huge explosion and fountain of fire erupted as the McGuire from the conning tower forward ceased to exist. Secondary explosions could then be heard as the #2 magazine cooked off as well. Sailors from both sides paused and observed the awesome yet terrifying spectacle.

5 MAR 1920, 06:06 hours

Even a hardened veteran like Pehcs Darshu had never seen destruction on the scale she now witnessed, and it took all of her power of will and two or three times crossing herself before she was able to tear her eyes from the sight and realize that no one seemed to be firing...

"<Spotters! To your senses! RESUME FIRE!!>" Then, as an afterthought, she peered through her binoculars and added "<And see if you can make the...Enterprise do that...>"

Australien
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Bridge - ANS Melbourne
5 MAR 1920, 06:06 hours

The Melbourne and Sydney were both ready to fire, having sustained only light damage. "Fire on my mark, we need another volley or two to cover those destroyers, then they'll be in torpedo range and we can blow these damn Wochicks to hell and ba..." the admiral stopped as the massive explosion in the distance caught his eye. After a few moments, Jells' voice was in his ear "Sir...Sir!"
"Yes, what is it?"
"Our guns are all ready to fire, sir."
The captain snapped out of his daze and turned his attention to the matter at hand. "All guns, FIRE!", the volley of fire hurtled towards the Wochick fleet.

A shell slammed into the Sydney, followed by another a moment later. The rear of the ship rocked wildly as the shells slammed into the fuel storage. "Shit! I want to know the damage, now!"
"Sir, the captain of the Sydney is reporting that he's lost power to the port-side engine. No way of knowing yet whether the engine itself is damaged, or just a connection. The reserve fuel tank is completely gone, but the main fuel tank is reported to be fine. He says the fires are under control, but a glance at his ship would suggest otherwise. No word on flooding just yet"
The Admiral turned away from the Sydney as another shell narrowly missed it, "Tell them to resume fire with any guns they can, I want that damn Naks....Whatever the hell it's called, on the bottom of the sea!"

The Sydney sat in the water, drifting forward slightly, with its rear end slowly taking on water.
My Political Compass:

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Bridge, WDN Nahcsnahdu
5 MAR 1920, 06:16 hours

With every passing moment, the situation became more grim. It was clear to Deecsee Denebor that her order to engage the forces now arrayed before her had been foolhardy. Her only consolation was that she probably would not live to see her censure for it. For perhaps a hundred years or more, the gunners of the Vushicskah Fa had been the pride of Wo'n Darshekeen, and the men and women firing from the ships under Denebor's command had afforded themselves as well as any Deecsee had ever observed. She had seldom seen more accurate shelling, and her crews were actually amazing her with the speed with which they were reloading, taking aim, and loosing each successive volley.

But this battle was not going to favor the Sons of Darshek. The individual ships of each fleet were fairly evenly matched, but there were just too many for the Nahcsnahdu's modest flotilla to stand against. Lodahn surely had overcome much greater numbers, but he had at least been blessed with the gift of surprise. Not so, here. Nahcsnahdu had so far been able to avoid taking any serious single hits, but the glancing blows and near misses were adding up. Fires had sprung up from leaking fuel, and were being contained, but only just. Krat, for all appearances, was dead in the water; her crew spilling over her decks into the frigid morning water. Tuvahndahfa and Kah, having followed Nahcsnahdu, had been peppered about as much or little as the dreadnought, but were somewhat the worse for wear. Kah was still firing all but her forward-most turret, which appeared to have jammed, but she was listing nearly 20 degrees to starboard and bleeding billowing black clouds of smoke. Tuvahndahfa had lost his1 forward turret and his crew had all they could handle merely trying to bring the fires under control. Still, the sailors in Tuvahndahfa's aft turret remained bravely at their posts and continued firing.

Kuscah, Tikizahn, and Vaykush, meanwhile, were faring somewhat better. Though they were not undamaged, the three vessels had spread out some, instead of the two battlecruisers trying to act as screens for Kucsah. There were deck fires on Kuscah and Vaykush, and Kuscah was listing slightly, but the three were relatively none the worse for wear.

"<We seem to be getting the focused attention of the Australien fleet, Kah Ahnto'nee,>" Teelyeh observed. "<I doubt Kah or Tuvahndahfa will last much long...>" His comment was cut short as a shell struck the Tuvahndahfa's forward deck and smashed down into the ailing ship's ammunition stores. The resulting explosion sent a wave of shock and heat across the waves that rocked even Nahcsnahdu a little. The battlecruiser slowed, but continued to press forward.

Denebor sighed. "<Mik, give Kucsah the order to withdraw, and take Tikizahn and Vaykush along. Have them rendezvous with Ahbi Ahdai-no and help there. Nahcsnahdu will occupy the Australiens as well as she can to aid their escape. This battle is lost, and we will concede with the comfort of making it a costly victory for our enemies. However Ahbi Ahdai-no is faring, they must not tarry long before withdrawing. One Wochik dreadnaught lost is embarrassment enough.>" Teelyeh saluted hesitantly, then moved off to carry out the order. Denebor returned her attention to the battle. "<Fire Control, whose child do I have to sacrifice to swamp the Melbourne? I won't complain about the other Child of Zhetoknavah that lies bleeding next to her, but I remember asking you to shoot the one that's still under way.>"

"<Forty seven sorrows2 for our confusion, Kah Ahnto'nee,>" came the reply. "<Targeting her now.>"

1 - Masculine because he is the father ship of his class. Soon, the rest of the Tuvahndahfa class boats will be orphans.
2 - A profuse apology. The origin of the idiom goes back over a thousand years to the nation's infancy, when Tuvahn Darshek and forty six more of the finest Wochik warriors mounted their final attack on the Sorcerer, Katothwa Re. Although the Katothwa Re was defeated, only three of the warriors returned to tell the tale. Those three died shortly thereafter.

OOC:
Krat is not completely disabled. Her Vushvahkh has decided to play possum, since attention seems to have turned elsewhere. I'll post about it as soon as I can.

Infirmary, WDN Krat

"<Are they off?>" Kics Tcsokeer asked as his Vahkh-Naydar, Koree’antn Nimrah, rounded the bulkhead. Nimrah's face was covered in sweat and soot, but he was relatively unharmed (placing him squarely in a minority among the crew of the Krat).

"<As many as could be spared, Vushvahkh,>" came the reply. Tcsokeer smiled - briefly, thanks to the medic's activities - and looked back up at his Vahkh-Naydar. "<I'm still not accustomed to that rank, Nimrah.>"

"<That's too bad. You can't have Vahkh-Naydar back. I'm rather enjoying it.>"

"Mehneh, mehneh," Tcsokeer conceded. He pursed his lips. "<Have we been able to restore anything below?>"

"<No, Vushvahkh. We can't even get into the engine room for all the fire. The only way we're driving the Krat is with oars or sails at this point. Both turbines are a complete loss.>"

"<So we're dead in the water? What of weapons?>"

"<One moment, Vushvahkh,>" the Vahkh-Naydar cautioned. "<We cannot direct the ship, but the currents appear to be carrying us closer to the Australiens' position. As for armament, the three port side guns have all been facing away from the fighting, and I have crews manning them. The port side torpedo tube is operational and manned as well. I have given them all orders to make absolutely no movements of any kind without your express orders.>"

"<What you're telling me then, Nimrah, is that it will take a tidal miracle to put the Krat into position to do anything useful, but we've got four crews risking their lives to be ready if and when that miracle happens?>"

"<Peh-o, Vushvahkh. All that is needed is a set of eyes to guide them.>"

"<That's too bad,>" Tcsokeer lamented, "<since I seem to have misplaced one of mine.>" With that, he slid from the exam table, ordered the medic off the ship, and let Nimrah help him to the bridge.
Last edited by Wonderchicken on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australien
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:07 am

Bridge, ANS Melbourne
"The Wochick fleet appears to be fleeing, sir." Jells said in disbelief.
"What!? They're running?" The admiral asked, scarcely believing that the enemy would give up so easily.
"Uhhhhh, scratch that, it looks like most of them are. They're damaged ships aren't making any attempt, and that battlecruiser doesn't look like it's about to go anywhere other than in our direction."
"Covering the other's retreat, most likely. Get one of our light cruisers, two of the destroyers and the Broome to pursue the fleeing ships."
"Sir, it looks like the Naksnadoo is adjusting it's guns."
"What's it targeting?"
"Well, it's only been a small shift, and it's to our side of the Sydney, so most likely us."
"Alright, tell the Sydney, our gunners and the Morseby to target that damn ship. Tell those two destroyers to push their damn engines to their limits, I want to torpedoes in the water within the minute!"

The remaining operational guns on the Sydney and Morseby flared, followed moments later by the Melbourne. A few seconds later, a shell slammed into the forward deck of the Melbourne, sending everyone in the bridge off their feet and to the floor. The admiral grabbed a rail and pulled himself to his feet.
"For the love of Christ!" He shouted "I want all available repair crews to the forward deck. Tell them to get that fire under control! Any guns that are still operational need to reload immediately!"

OOC- The Broome is the battlecruiser in my fleet. I still have a damaged destroyer and light cruiser (The Morseby) between our fleets.
Last edited by Australien on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Political Compass:

Lowell Leber
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 am

Bridge
LLS Enterprise
5 March 1920
0617 Hours

"They are attempting to flee the battle it appears sir, and radio reports from our allies indicate a near full Wochik withdrawl!" exclaimed the young ensign to the Admiral.

"Order all ships to press the attack, and send the destroyer Laura to pick up any survivors from the McGuire! Flank speed and close the distance, fire at will!" replied the Admiral.
With that, the remaing ships of the fleet charged the Wochik's retreating vessels....
IC The Leberite Empire

Aezakmi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Aezakmi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Aezakmi wrote:The Imperial Hotel, Ikanzora City, west Zadushil Zemlya
5 March, 1920 - Evening

Nicholas Borodin sat shrouded behind a haze of cigarette smoke, steadily consuming a glass of whisky and casually surveying the Imperial Hotel bar from beneath the anonymous shade of his hat. Currently his attention was divided about evenly between the shapely young engineer sitting nearby and drawing idly in her notebook, and the considerably less appealing pair of dark-suited men at a table in the corner. He didn’t like the look of them – it wasn’t that they were acting in a particularly suspicious manner, but he’d overheard enough of their conversation to know that they were speaking the language of Nullarni. Borodin knew as well as anyone how much the businessmen of Nullarni wanted a controlling share of the Great Canal, and they seemed intent on extracting it from the investors of Aezakmi. After all, the chances of persuading the Wochiks to let go of their stake were practically non-existent. The fact that the Nullarnish interest consisted of a coalition of private investors didn’t do anything to ease the tension among Aezaks – governments were answerable to their voters, and had to at least keep up the appearance of good behaviour. Private investors were answerable only to shareholders, and could more or less do whatever they damn well liked, especially in this mosquito-infested hole.

Borodin was well acquainted with just how much of a hole Ikanzora city was; he’d lived here for more than seven years. He knew why he’d left Aezakmi well enough, but why he’d lingered so long here in the arse end of nowhere, he wasn’t sure. It had just seemed too much trouble to move away, he supposed. Of course, Zadushil Zemlya wasn’t the arse end of nowhere anymore – not since some ambitious bastard of an engineer had put forward the idea of a canal. The local, familiar faces had lately become lost in the crowds of newcomers; surveyors, consultants, investors and all their hordes of liasons, goons and various hangers-on… and it was only going to get worse.

Borodin had just begun to contemplate what his life might be like with another drink in it, when one of the aforementioned unfamiliar faces, looking like bad news dressed in a rumpled suit, hurried up and sat down next to him.
“Mister Borodin?” he said.
“It depends who’s doing the asking.”
“Please, spare me the dramatics. Are you Borodin or not?”
“Alright, I am Borodin. Well spotted. Now tell me what you want or sod off.”
“I apologise for my abrupt manner, Mister Borodin, but I’ve been very stressed lately.”
“Haven’t we all? That’s what booze is for. Now are you going to say what you want, or not?”
“I have a job that I need done, and I need a reliable man to do it. Apparently you have a local reputation for reliability, and to be frank, at this point I’m not in a position to be picky.”
“Well I’m flattered. What’s this job then?”
“Probably the easiest job in the world.”
“Oh yes?”
“Yes indeed, especially since I’m prepared to pay five thousand zhaluta.”

Borodin gave a derisive snort, finished his drink and signalled for another.
“Pull the other one, mate – it’s got bells on.”
“I’m perfectly serious, Mister Borodin… and I’d appreciate it if you would be too. I’m prepared to pay you two thousand in advance,”
He opened his jacket and began to pull out what was clearly an enormous wad of large-denomination banknotes, but Borodin, acting almost by instinct, hurriedly pushed his hand back.
“Steady on! Watch where you’re flashing that national budget around, or you won’t have it long,” he said quietly. “You need to buy yourself a drink, before you fall to bits – it’s not as though you can’t afford it.”

“Now listen, Mister Moneybags, I don’t know who referred you to me, but I generally stay away from the kind of jobs that earn money that large,” Borodin said, when his guest had bought a small brandy and calmed down fractionally.
“You needn’t worry sir, this job is nothing so dramatic. I just need you to hold on to a briefcase for me.”
“For five thousand nicker? What does it do, explode at random?”
“Will you please be serious, Mister Borodin? All you need to know is that I suspect I am in personal danger, and that my briefcase and its contents must remain safe. It must be posted to this address in Aezakmi, and I need you to do it.” He slipped a baggage claim ticket under his drink coaster.
“Why don’t you do it yourself?”
“The next postal ship to Aezakmi doesn’t arrive for a week. If I were to post it myself, if I wasn’t robbed on my way there, it would surely be stolen from the post office well before the postal ship arrived. I can’t keep it with me for any longer. I need you to simply keep it safe for a week, and then post it directly to the packet ship. I hope the size of the fee I am paying will give you some impression of how important this matter is.”

Borodin considered carefully. The job did indeed sound easy, but there had to be a huge razor blade in a candy apple this large. The man still hadn’t told him his name, for a start. Even so, five thousand zhaluta was five thousand zhaluta, and for just one week’s work, he was prepared to take the risk.
“Very well, I’ll take the job,” he said. After all, he told himself, chances were the man was merely paranoid, and there was nothing to worry about.
“Excellent. When you leave, show that ticket at the baggage counter. The briefcase will be given to you. Oh yes, and I'll deposit your advance payment there too, it'll be safer that way. It will be in a brown paper envelope. You’ll receive the remaining three thousand once the briefcase arrives in Aezakmi.”

He finished his drink and prepared to leave. “Oh and I should mention, Mister Borodin, that if the briefcase doesn’t turn up at that address, my associates will be commissioning some efficient gentlemen to assassinate you. Good evening.”
With that, he departed.

OOC: My sincere apologies for the delay. This is the first segment of a to-be-continued story, I have it almost all planned but not yet written out. There will be more to come, hopefully soon.

The Imperial Hotel, Ikanzora City, West Zadushil Zemlya
5 March, 1920 – Evening

Half an hour and another drink after the stranger had departed, Nicholas Borodin had decided enough was enough and set out for his office / apartment. He collected the case from the baggage counter, and he shoved the thick brown envelope that came with it deep into an inside pocket. The briefcase itself was unremarkable, worn but well kept, of thin brown leather bound in brass. It was slim and light – so light that he might have thought it empty if there hadn’t been the muffled sound of papers shifting as it was handed over.

He took it with a courteous nod to the young lady at the counter, then stepped out into the cool night air. His office wasn’t far, and as he strolled through the dark, quiet streets he pondered what could possibly be in the briefcase that was so important. It didn’t weigh much in his hand, but in his mind it seemed to grow heavier and heavier with each step.

His train of thought was abruptly derailed by an unexpected and worrying sound – an angry shout, followed by a cry of pain. Both voices were male, and they had come from down a trash-filled alleyway a little distance ahead of him. It didn’t take a detective to realise someone was being mugged. Hurriedly Borodin stashed the briefcase behind an overflowing rubbish bin and drew out his Kadram revolver. As he hurried to the alley mouth there were more shouts, more agonised cries and, filling the intervals between, the distinctive soft, flat thumps of someone being kicked hard.

He reached the corner and flattened himself against the wall; silhouetting himself in the alley mouth would not be a smart move. He poked his head around for a look, and saw three large figures surrounding a fourth, who lay crumpled on the cobbles, whimpering feebly. As Borodin watched, one of the tormentors muttered and drew something from a pocket. Borodin saw too late that it was a gun, and without the slightest hesitation the man fired. Ears ringing from the sudden noise, Borodin watched the man on the ground jerk violently, just once, before falling completely still.

Moved by adrenaline and pure outrage, Borodin stepped out, levelled his gun and fired a warning shot right past the killer’s hat. Even with five drinks in him, Borodin was a pretty good shot, and the murderer must have felt Borodin’s bullet tousle his hair as it passed.
“Drop that gun and put your hands up!” he roared.
The killer disobeyed. He fired three wild shots in Borodin’s direction, forcing him to dive for cover. He wasn’t hit, but only just; he’d felt the wind as the first bullet perforated his homburg. Over the ringing echoes of gunfire he heard the clatter of feet, retreating rapidly down the alley. When they’d gone, he rushed to the stricken victim.

He was much too late – as Borodin knelt down, lit cigarette lighter in hand to shed some light, he could see clearly that the man had died instantly. This was only a background thought, though – jangling at the forefront of his mind was the appalling realisation that he’d seen this man less than an hour before. It was the enigmatic, erstwhile owner of the mysterious briefcase.

For several minutes he simply stared down at his late client, trying to digest just how much trouble he’d probably gotten himself into, but it rapidly occurred to him that the police would arrive soon, and here he was kneeling over a freshly murdered body with a still-warm revolver in his hand. The local police were notoriously inefficient; he’d never be able to convince them of his innocence, if only because that would seem like too much hard work for them.

With this unpleasant prospect in mind, he quickly left the scene, doubling back to collect the stashed briefcase before hurrying home as discreetly as possible. Fortunately, he didn’t see anyone around until he was well away. He clattered up the stairway to his office, almost cursing out loud at himself. What the hell had he got himself into?
Map - - Coat of Arms
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." –Dom Helder Camara
"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, and socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality." -Mikhail Bakunin
"Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day, but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Lowell Leber
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 am

Scout Craft 02BC from Bremenchester.
March 5 1920
0645 Hours.

After flying over the far eastern approaches to Bremenchester, Ensign Reinhard's and his radioman had so far been unable to pin down the Wochik fleet. That was, until now. After his superiors on land had reported the seperate engagements of their battlegroup along with those of their Australien allies, it had given Reinhard the scent. And as he flew above the two battles he could see clearly that the Wochiks battlegroups were attempting to link up.

"Corporal, radio base and tell them the Wochik ships are attempting to rendevous with one another. Tell them allied ships should pursue with caution." After this, with their fuel low, Reinhard turned the plane around and headed back towards Bremenchester.
IC The Leberite Empire

Lowell Leber
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Bump
IC The Leberite Empire

Australien
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Bridge of the ANS Melbourne
March 5 1920
0648 Hours.

"Admiral, I've just got word from the base back in Bremenchester. Their scout plane has reported that the enemy fleet is attempting to regroup."
"Oh? Sneaky little buggers, these Wochicks. Radio back to the base, tell them that our fleet is going to regroup before we pursue the enemy further, and that we suggest the Leberites do the same."
"Yes sir."
"Oh, and tell all ships to focus fire on the remaining enemies, I want that damn Battlecruiser sunk!"

The admiral looked out the window just in time to see a shell slam into one of the two destroyers nearing the Nahcsnahdu, causing it to explode brilliantly. Moments later, the remaining destroy let off a salvo of three torpedoes, whilst the destroyer closest to the Krat only fired one.

"Sir, we've got three torpedoes in the water heading for the Naksandoo, but there were problems with one of the destroyers, so we only have one heading for the Krat"
"That should be all we need to finish off the Krat, let's just hope the other torpedoes hit their mark."
Last edited by Australien on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Political Compass:

Nullarni
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Test

Wonderchicken
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wonderchicken » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:45 am

Australien wrote:
Bridge of the ANS Melbourne
March 5 1920
0648 Hours.

"Admiral, I've just got word from the base back in Bremenchester. Their scout plane has reported that the enemy fleet is attempting to regroup."
"Oh? Sneaky little buggers, these Wochicks. Radio back to the base, tell them that our fleet is going to regroup before we pursue the enemy further, and that we suggest the Leberites do the same."
"Yes sir."
"Oh, and tell all ships to focus fire on the remaining enemies, I want that damn Battlecruiser sunk!"

The admiral looked out the window just in time to see a shell slam into one of the two destroyers nearing the Nahcsnahdu, causing it to explode brilliantly. Moments later, the remaining destroy let off a salvo of three torpedoes, whilst the destroyer closest to the Krat only fired one.

"Sir, we've got three torpedoes in the water heading for the Naksandoo, but there were problems with one of the destroyers, so we only have one heading for the Krat"
"That should be all we need to finish off the Krat, let's just hope the other torpedoes hit their mark."

Bridge, WDN Krat
5 MAR 1920, 06:50 hours

"<Vushvahkh, this is madness.>" Koree'antn Nimrah said through a mouthful of sandwich.

"<The corned beef isn't agreeing with you?>" Tscokeer asked, straight faced, as a piece of egg salad dripped from the corner of his mouth. He gave his Vahkh-Naydar a moment before abandoning his joke. "<What can I say? If I were on the other side of this battle and saw two officers standing around on Krat's bridge like they were waiting for something, she wouldn't look as stricken to me as I want her to look.>"

"<She is stricken, Kics! Or have you been to the engine room and witnessed a miracle you're not telling me about?>"

"<You and I know that, but they...>" (here, he gestured to the Australien fleet) "<...They don't. I prefer not to give them any reason to make certain. And, as for the food...>" He swallowed and took another bite; "<Well, the galley wasn't on fire, but it was between here and the infirmary. Stuff's just going to go to waste if nobody eats it, and who wants to die on an empty stomach? Did you have Keelor distribute the rest to the remaining crew, like I asked?>"

"Peh-o, Vushvahkh."

"<Good.>" Tscokeer put his hand to his head, and after a moment forced a chuckle. "<Who would have thought that losing an eye would make a benign thing like egg salad hurt? Do me a favor and take a peek outside, will you?>" Nimrah nodded, raised his glasses, and poked his head up just far enough to see out.

"<Vushvahkh, we've got incoming.>"

"<What kind?>" Tscokeer was reaching for his own binoculars.

"<I make one fish. Bearing...um...>"

"<Don't bother. I see it, too.>" Tcsokeer slumped down against the bulkhead. "<Curse it!>"

"<What do you want to do?>" Nimrah asked. Tscokeer's good eye bored into him, and then the Vushvahkh looked out, again, at the Australien ships.

"<Black husked coconuts!1>" he exclaimed. "<I was hoping to get closer...and the angle's not perfect, but we may only be minutes away from being underwater. Fire everything we've got. Now.>"

The whirring of the torpedo's motor was beginning to carry to the deck of Krat when her three portside guns roared to life. Tcsokeer knew he might get no more than the three shots and one torpedo of this volley off, but it was something, and if he had to go down, he and Krat would go down fighting. Nimrah had fully abandoned any charade, and was standing at the hatch, tracking the inbound fish. Presently, he lowered his binoculars and turned to his Vushvahkh.

"<Your command was too short, Kics, but I'm glad to have been a part of...>"

KLUNG!

For just a moment the two men stood in shock, as the good fortune of a dud torpedo made its way into their consciousness. "<Hold onto that thought, Koree'entn! I'm sure you'll need it again within the hour.>"

1 - Polite Wochiks (for that matter, impolite Wochiks with any smarts) don't say this in mixed company. Without getting too detailed, it's vulgar.
Last edited by Wonderchicken on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents