NATION

PASSWORD

2014 II rper of the year: Kyrusia V.s. Vipra

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The greater Vakolicci Haven
Senator

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

2014 II rper of the year: Kyrusia V.s. Vipra

Postby The greater Vakolicci Haven » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 am

2014 II rper of the year first knockout round
Kyrusia V.s. Vipra

2 heavyweights of Future tech roleplay on international incidents make up the first match of this 2014 II rper of the year awards. Kyrusia and Vipra, both rp veterans, are known for their long posts with imaginative, twisting storylines, and both have an abundence of rping quality.

Kyrusia
Using puppet: Sciarviat Syndicate
Have you ever wondered - truthfully - what it might be like to live, to play, to lie your head down as an individual free from the troublesome woes, the responsibilities, and the social mores of society at large? Have you ever contemplated, if but a single moment of respite from the strife, the tribulations, and the unending obligations of reality were given to you, what you might accomplish? Have you ever wanted to meet, to know, to touch that inner part of yourself which friends, family, and employment force you to keep hidden, disguised, and shoved away - neglected - like some misbegotten toy?

I know you. I know you. I've seen many like you; the many, the hive, the bustle - individuals who jostle and struggle but to scrape by for a moment's peace, fighting and clawing but for a few fleeting, vestigial seconds of freedom from the burdens that weigh heavy and apparent. I've seen them; I've met them. Years ago I, too, once was like you: a man without purpose, living my day-to-day, menial, meaningless existence like it was what I was born to do. As if I were born to lie at night, awake, by some partner I cared little of, in some apartment I couldn't afford, waiting for the sun to rise on another day so that I might toil in an office simply so I could continue with another day in that life. Then another, and another, and another...

But, remember, my friend, that I know you, and like the countless, broken, hollow men who have came before you, I learned about you. I met you: the real you. The you which dwells just beneath the surface, screaming for a moment of liberation; shouting, yelling, sobbing into the blackness of this life, treading the waters of feeble responsibility and hollow altruism, secretly demanding something. Something so profane, so sacred and secret, that you dare not speak it aloud; something you wish for, something you demand in the silence that societal obligations and moral ethos force you to undertake for fear of labels and penal penalty.

My friend, I offer you something else. Something different. Something glorious.

I offer you a place. I offer you a sanctuary where, regardless of your homeland, of your tastes, of your predilections, you can live, you can play, you can indulge freely and without judgment.

In a word, my friend, I offer you "liberation".

Now, before you judge my offer too harshly, my friend, consider this... Consider your life. Consider the day; perhaps you're sitting at a desk, wondering why you clicked on this bit of media; perhaps you're in your home, browsing, wondering whether you can suffer yet another year in silence with a spouse, a partner, to whom you feel you barely know; maybe you're even en route right now, wondering if this was all some Faustian mistake. Consider that, even if it were - even if it were your soul I sought to claim, to rake back to the depths of the inferno as penance for the glee and merriment you seek - would it be worth it? Is it worth your soul, this offer I make? Perhaps... But I will tell you this: I seek not your soul, nor your heart, nor you to abandon your life - its security, its safety, its mundane pleasantries and quaint charm. Unlike a common man of confidence, I do not seek to hide my intentions nor my desires.

Here, in this heaven - in this paradise - all that matters is the almighty specie: the dollar, the credit, the greenback. We don't ask questions; we have no desire to know, because we have no desire to judge. We neither care for your preference, your orientation, your gender, your sex, your nationality, your culture, your religion, nor even your species; in this heaven, all that matters is the price - the value - and the surety that you, my friend, are waiting and willing.

For the right price, in this sanctuary, you can obtain almost anything, my friend. Good entertainment, good company, a good time: all are things which are available, ready, waiting for you to embrace, to indulge, to accept that part of you which society demands, incessantly, you hide, you shield, you obscure for the sake of its benefit. You are an individual; you are the maker of your own future, the author of your own fate; embrace that simple truth, my friend, and the cosmos shall unfold before you.

In this paradise - in your paradise - your comfort, your desires, your privacy matter. Your will is God, and I am but the messenger to the heavenly host; I am a mediator, an arbiter, the key-holder of your dreams, and all you need do is say a word. Speak it, and it will be so. Does that sound enticing? Right now, has your blood grown hot with anticipation, your flesh shrill and taunt with even the notion that such a place exists? My friend, are you drooling? I wouldn't blame you; many a man, in the history of this universe, has died and killed for even the prospect of such a proverbial Eden of desire. But you... You have it right before you. No great journey, no great trial, no great test of your will or intellect, after all: has your life not been such already? Why should further demands be laid upon you simply for a chance to escape them?

No, my friend. No such trouble. You see, this place, this sanctuary, this bountiful garden lies as largesse, waiting. All you need do is but muster the courage to reach for it. Welcome to paradise; welcome to Eden; welcome to a world where your dreams have come true and, where with but a word, they become endless, timeless, and eternal.

Welcome to Losieda. Won't you come play with us?
Saturnalia sunshine

Vipra
An extract from the beginning of the short story surviving
Allurus, seventy years before Vipran Unification

The artillery rained down relentlessly, the boom and thoom of exploding shells having changed from psychologically jarring to white noise over the course of days while Yizinni Vevemiman scrambled through the sewers. At first it had just been an immediate respite, the young atoran girl having managed to pull open a manhole and throw herself down into the filthy network of tunnels before a tank could round the corner, but had since grown into her little network. There were others down here too, having the same idea to escape the worst of the shelling, and every now and again she heard the echo of stomping boots and gunfire as soldiers cleared sections. At first she had been terrified, any twelve year old would be, and vomited the first time she had had to pick through the gore and remains of fellow partisan for such basics as rations and bullets.

Yet it became her home sweet home, vile and filled with disease, the girl losing some of the colour to her blue skin while under the shaking roof of the sewers. It was a foul and putrid place, bodies unceremoniously dumped through manholes after being stripped of their kit by both sides as feasts for the insects while they festered. And yet the catacomb of filth was Yizinni’s saving grace, nooks and crannies for her to hide in around every bend and tunnels small enough for the child to fit through without being followed. And she had to hide, for whenever the artillery broke there would be the trundling grind of tracks overhead and the thump of boots that signalled new arrivals. Though they wore markings of the nations they served, all Yizinni had to see to know their allegiance was their facial features and the colour of their skin. The Farthii and Krachii were as bad as each other, both having attacked her people before, but now it seemed they were set on turning the Horusii lands into extensions of their own realms and leaving her people as one of the many exterminated ethnicities. So she fought them both, as her mother had told her to do.

Yizinni was huddled around the decapitated and hollowed torso of a soldier woman, picking through the empty pockets of the atoran body’s torn shirt in the vain hope that maybe those that had hacked her up had missed something. Before she could finish searching, the artillery stopped. Casting her head up to one of the drains, catching flickering light, the child soldier abandoned the body and yanked hands black with blood from sticky fabric, stomping through puddle and huffing the moist, squamous, air as she started to bolt through the sewers. Even as her worn boots sloshed through puddles of urine and decayed meat, she could hear manholes being opened and soldiers dropping down. Turning a corner into a darker part of the sewer, she saw a glint in the distance and froze. There were already soldiers here, walking past her favoured cubby hole. She hadn’t been fast enough.

Panicking, knowing she couldn’t turn around, the partisan child hid behind the corner and fumbled at her jacket, leaving her carbine leaning against the wall as she fished two grenades out of pockets she had made with a staple gun and loose fabric. They were ones she’d found on her first day, and she had hoarded them for something like this. Pulling a bundle of cloth out of her pants’ pocket, she began to tie the heavy spheres together while footsteps drew closer, the splash of water under the feet of heavy soldiers making her heart drum in her ears. Fumbling the knot she almost gave up, wanting to run and hide, but she knew there was nowhere to go, marching boots echoing from the other end of the sewer tunnel as she redoubled her efforts. She begged and pleaded for a god, any god, to help her as she finally tied the knot and tried, in her head, to guess how close the soldiers were. They were definitely close, very close, she swore she heard their breathing but they couldn’t be that near yet.

feather and bone

And now, for the first of many a time, I would like to open this match with a first vote:
The Greater Vakolicci Haven votes for Vipra.
Who will you vote for?
RIP Vakolic, 08/08/2009-29/12/2013, unjustly deleted.
Population: 9.6 billion (to be added to current population of this nation)
Last known defence budget: 82.2 trillion
Last known gdp: $423.2 trillion (nstracker)
For other stats, please tg.
the greater Vakolicci Haven
Can be found in:
sondria
greysteel
varathron
tyrrhenia

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 am

First non-OP reply of the year. :p

My vote is for Kyrusia.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am

I have to say--coming into FT, and in fact, II in general, just a year ago, I felt intimidated by, well, everything.

So, when one person in particular, first offered a helping hand, and words of kind, gentle encouragement, I was able to overcome that initial shock, and start brainstorming and writing. So, what fun I've derived from NS is greatly the work of one person.

I vote for Kyrusia, even though both writers were indispensable to my initial, awkward toddler steps. He's helpful and kind, but brutally honest. And that's exactly what a fledgling new RPer like me needs.

Dreadful Sagittarius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dreadful Sagittarius » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:33 am

Having interacted with both of them for a good while now, and RP'd with both of them, it's a tough choice. They're both excellent writers, even when the sheer number of RP'ers in the II sub-forum means that there's a lot of those, but they both stand out. Overall, and with a fair bit of rethinking over it, I put my vote for Kyrusia.
In Memoriam of David 'CanisD' Briedis, October 20, 1970 - August 27, 2015
For He Loved The Stars Too Fondly, To Fear The Night
Factbook of the Phanes RepublicFuture-Tech Advice & Assistance Thread
Future-Tech Market Index ThreadThe CompendiumState of the Galaxy
Only a fool taunts the Archer

Huerdae
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:40 am

This one is very hard for me. Both of these guys I have huge amounts of respect for, both OoCly and ICly, and both of them have done some amazing things in their time RPing. But as much as I like Kyrusia, I think I have to lean with Vipra. At least this once, having known the guy for what seems forever and fighting against him constantly and having absolutely no issues with an ongoing war says more for the guy than I dare say. We've been conflicting neighbors for some time now, and I can't think of a single time I had a complaint about how he did something or what he did.

So I'm in for Vipra.

The only problem with this is, if it came up again later in the match, I could easily see myself voting the other way. I suspect whoever wins this will be in this competition to the end.
Last edited by Huerdae on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Huerdaen Star Empire is an FT Nation.

Xiscapia wrote:It amused her for a time to wonder if the two fleets could not see each other, so she could imagine them blindly stabbing in the dark, like a game of tag, if tag was played with rocket launchers in pitch blackness.
[17:15] <Telros> OH HO HO, YOU THOUGHT HUE WAS OUT OF LUCK, DID YOU
[17:15] <Telros> KUKUKU, HE HAS REINFORCEMENTS
[17:15] <Telros> FOR TELROS IS REINFORCEMENTS MAN

Rezo wrote:If your battleship turrets have a smaller calibre than your penis is long, you're doing it wrong.

The Advent-Unity
Secretary

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Advent-Unity » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:43 am

Kyrusia, because of his incredible contributions to the FT community.
The Psintegrat Empire of the Advent Unity

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Though Kyrusia's info dumps feed my addiction for those glorious wads of text, I'm voting for Vipra on this one. I feel like Kyrusia simply tries to hard with RP or fiction posts, making it too "artsy" so-to-speak. But that's coming from a guy who's writing style is an odd mixture of simplistic Hemingway dialogue and overly complicated Conrad description. Still, I find Vipra a better read.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Kyrusia because I don't have a better metric other than "I know him better."

They're both good.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Kyrusia without a doubt. He's always been a great RPer, but also a good friend who's always giving me advice on RP and other things. Besides, we have this "thing." going on.

That said, Vipra is still commendable of the nomination he received. Congratulations.
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Wow, that's tough. Kyrusia by the smallest sliver of a strand of hair.
Last edited by New Azura on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Vipra.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm voting Vipra here, though Kyrusia's writing is also pretty good.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Jenrak wrote:Kyrusia because I don't have a better metric other than "I know him better."

Presumably, the most relevant metric is "who's the better RPer," and one would go about figuring that out by comparing different pieces of RP.

In any case, my vote goes for Vipra.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:14 pm

I know them both well, and they're both very talented writers, but I'm gonna have to give this one to Kyrusia.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

-Deus-
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -Deus- » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Kyrusia, even though I enjoy both of you guys. Keep the good work, you two.

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:15 pm

I would have to go with Vipra on this one.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Crontor
Minister

Founded: Jun 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Crontor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:13 am

Vipra.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:18 am

Kyrusia.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:29 am

The Macabees wrote:
Jenrak wrote:Kyrusia because I don't have a better metric other than "I know him better."

Presumably, the most relevant metric is "who's the better RPer," and one would go about figuring that out by comparing different pieces of RP.

In any case, my vote goes for Vipra.

They're both awesome to me, haha.

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:14 am

From reading and Judging the two posts and looking for other posts, I must say Vipra comes out on top just.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Gristol-Serkonos
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Gristol-Serkonos » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:23 am

Both has exceptional skills in writing.

Both are fantastic writers.

But... meh, Vipra.

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Founded: May 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:42 am

While I certainly enjoyed both, I enjoyed Vipra's ever-so-slightly more, and thus will be voting for Vipra.
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.
Farnhamia wrote:You're getting a little too fond of the jerkoff motions.
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses. . .
THE ABSOLUTTM MADMAN ESCAPES JUSTICE ONCE MORE

Semarland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Semarland » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 am

I'm voting for Vipra.
The Republic of Semarland
Capital: Jansberg - Demonym: Semar/Semarlandic - Trigramme: SEM
sportsat.sem
Hosted: Trindl Cup I/II, Baptism of Fire 68
Champions: Meski Cup I, 5AS WC II, U18 WC I
<Nephara> RETURN OF Sem|Transfers THE PEOPLES' CHAMPION
<Jeck> If Sem RPs as much as he transfers, next cycle we're all screwed
<Yttribia> Sem seems like the sort of guy who'd work at Tesco's and slide his mixtape in each bag

Serbian Orthodox Church
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Serbian Orthodox Church » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:26 am

Vipra you write pure art, I vote Vipra.

Deneclia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Deneclia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:39 am

I vote Vipra.