NATION

PASSWORD

Birth or not

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What did you vote for on the website?

I voted that they should have an abortion.
16%
I would have voted for the abortion, but I feel it is wrong to decide this in an online poll.
17%
I voted that they should give birth.
22%
I would have voted to give birth, but I feel it is wrong to decide this in an online poll.
14%
I did not vote because I am indifferent.
21%
Other.
10%

Total votes : 94

Nulono
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 am

Arilando wrote:
Nulono wrote:'Cause some of us don't like to be responsible for the death of another human being.

Why does it matter if the human being cannot feel pain? And when are we a human being, are we a human being when we are just a collection of cells? Or are we a human being when we can feel pain, or reason? what is your criteria for a human being?

So does someone with congenital insensitivity to pain, such as Gabby Gingras, not have a right to live? Is a newborn, who cannot reason and acts on instinct and reflex, not a human being?

My definition is the biological definition, any member of the genus Homo, specifically the subspecies H sapiens sapiens.
Like it or not, we're all just collections of cells. Pain and reason are the functions of some of said cells.
Umbagar wrote:
Arilando wrote:But why? Please explain why you think abortion is wrong except when the mother's life is at stake, or that she was raped.

If something is forced upon a person, such as a baby that could cause death during birth or if they were raped then they should have a choice in whether to try to have the baby. I feel it is wrong to force them to risk their lives for the baby or to carry a baby that they had no choice in.
Is it the child's fault she was raped? The rapist should have his balls cut off with a rusty nail, but the baby is innocent.
Dyakovo wrote:
Umbagar wrote:
That's the question isn't it? is it better to let a child be born into, say, a genocidal ethnic grotto where he will suffer, be starved, attacked, and a multitude of other things that will almost invariably kill him before the age of 5 or abort him to save suffering? It's a question of whether a horrible life or death is better. And if you decide that abortion is better, then the question comes up of when a life becomes worth living. it's a slippery slope.

It's more a question of whether the mother feels that she is prepared to be a parent. If she isn't it is better for her to get an abortion rather than risking her life to have a child she doesn't want.

So anyone who is unwanted has no right to not be killed?
Dyakovo wrote:
Nulono wrote:If a newborn is born into a family that then falls on hard times, is it okay to kill the newborn? What about a toddler?

No, because at that point the child is legally a person.
So whatever the law says goes? Was it okay to kill a Native American when they weren't considered persons? Would abortion be wrong if the unborn were legally persons?
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Numbers written with an apostrophe are in dozenal unless otherwise noted.
For example, 0'3 = 0.25, and 100' = 144.

Ratios are measured in perunums instead of percent.
1 perunum = 100 percent = 84' percent

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

Umbagar
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Umbagar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 am

Arilando wrote:
Umbagar wrote:
If something is forced upon a person, such as a baby that could cause death during birth or if they were raped then they should have a choice in whether to try to have the baby. I feel it is wrong to force them to risk their lives for the baby or to carry a baby that they had no choice in.

A fetus is not advanced enough to understand what choice is.

It's the mother's responsibility to choose for the fetus/child if she has circumstances forced on her. If it was her own fault she got pregnant then she must give birth.
Factbook
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13
"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else."
Political Pilgrims wrote:我们不是陌生人的爱。你知道规则,所以我也是一个完整的承诺是我想到的。你不会得到任何其他人的。
Politics may seem like seem like a word signifying big and scary things, but it becomes much simpler if you break it down into its roots; Poly, meaning many, and ticks, meaning blood-sucking insects.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:55 am

Arilando wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

1. I'm pretty sure he was saying abortion SHOULD be allowed.
2. Neither is an infant. What's your point?

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:56 am

Umbagar wrote:
Arilando wrote:A fetus is not advanced enough to understand what choice is.

It's the mother's responsibility to choose for the fetus/child if she has circumstances forced on her. If it was her own fault she got pregnant then she must give birth.
Why does this end at birth, then? Should parents be allowed to kill their offspring until they can make their own choices?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 am

Arilando wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

And?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Umbagar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Umbagar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 am

Nulono wrote:
Umbagar wrote:
Is it the child's fault she was raped? The rapist should have his balls cut off with a rusty nail, but the baby is innocent.

The mother was there first and has the right to have a say in what happens. If the baby is endangering the mother (and generally if the mother is in danger, so is the baby) then the mother should get a choice into what happens to her. Same for the rapist situation. You can't just let a woman be violated and then forced to care for baby that she despises.
Factbook
My political compass:
Politics may seem like seem like a word signifying big and scary things, but it becomes much simpler if you break it down into its roots; Poly, meaning many, and ticks, meaning blood-sucking insects.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:00 am

Umbagar wrote:
Nulono wrote:Is it the child's fault she was raped? The rapist should have his balls cut off with a rusty nail, but the baby is innocent.

The mother was there first and has the right to have a say in what happens. If the baby is endangering the mother (and generally if the mother is in danger, so is the baby) then the mother should get a choice into what happens to her. Same for the rapist situation. You can't just let a woman be violated and then forced to care for baby that she despises.

Despising someone doesn't mean it's okay if you kill them.

Arilando
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Arilando » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:00 am

Umbagar wrote:
Arilando wrote:A fetus is not advanced enough to understand what choice is.

What she does not want to. Dont she have a right to choose, more so than the fetus because the fetus cannot understand what a choice is?

Umbagar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Umbagar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:00 am

Nulono wrote:
Umbagar wrote:
Why does this end at birth, then? Should parents be allowed to kill their offspring until they can make their own choices?

This has absolutely nothing to do with my position. If a mother has given birth to child then it is no longer threatening her life, so it makes no sense to extend this argument after the child is born.
Factbook
My political compass:

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:01 am

Nulono wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:It's more a question of whether the mother feels that she is prepared to be a parent. If she isn't it is better for her to get an abortion rather than risking her life to have a child she doesn't want.

So anyone who is unwanted has no right to not be killed?

The term "anyone" implies personhood, something a fetus lacks.
Nulono wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:No, because at that point the child is legally a person.
So whatever the law says goes? Was it okay to kill a Native American when they weren't considered persons? Would abortion be wrong if the unborn were legally persons?

Yup, that totally what I'm saying. :roll:
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Arilando
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilando » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:01 am

Nulono wrote:
Arilando wrote:A fetcircumstances us is not advanced enough to understand what choice is.

1. I'm pretty sure he was saying abortion SHOULD be allowed.

1. he said it should only be allowed in special circumstances, i believe it should allways be allowed
2. The infant can be adopted, a fetus cannot

Umbagar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Umbagar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:02 am

Arilando wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

What she does not want to. Dont she have a right to choose, more so than the fetus because the fetus cannot understand what a choice is?

I'm not sure what you are refering to. are you talking about if she gets knocked up and pregnant? In that case, she made the choice to have a baby when she decided to have sex.
Factbook
My political compass:

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:02 am

Nulono wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

Endangering someone's life isn't okay either, but you seem to support it if the one doing the endangering is a fetus...
Married to Koshka

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:04 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Nulono wrote:So anyone who is unwanted has no right to not be killed?

The term "anyone" implies personhood, something a fetus lacks.
Says who?
Nulono wrote:So whatever the law says goes? Was it okay to kill a Native American when they weren't considered persons? Would abortion be wrong if the unborn were legally persons?

Yup, that totally what I'm saying. :roll:
Your excuse was "No, because at that point the child is legally a person.". Is legal personhood relevant or not?

Arilando wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

She does not have a right to kill anyone, regardless of if they understand choice or not.

Arilando
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilando » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:06 am

Nulono wrote:
Arilando wrote:What she does not want to. Dont she have a right to choose, more so than the fetus because the fetus cannot understand what a choice is?

She does not have a right to kill anyone, regardless of if they understand choice or not.

Even if it cannot feel pain?

Umbagar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Umbagar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:06 am

Nulono wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

there are several reasons why forcing a woman to have a rapist's child is wrong:
1. it can cause emotional damage if you know that the genetics of the man who harmed you is inside you.
2. Even if the baby is born and the woman has to look after it she will probably abuse it if it is not wanted.
Factbook
My political compass:

Arilando
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilando » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:07 am

Umbagar wrote:
Arilando wrote:What she does not want to. Dont she have a right to choose, more so than the fetus because the fetus cannot understand what a choice is?

I'm not sure what you are refering to. are you talking about if she gets knocked up and pregnant? In that case, she made the choice to have a baby when she decided to have sex.

Yes but afterwards she can choose to have an abortion, dont she have the right to do so? Also abortion saves live, there is a higher change of dying giving birth than dying having an abortion.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 am

Umbagar wrote:So a couple in Minnesota

Let me stop you right there. For the record, most of us here are pretty normal.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:11 am

Arilando wrote:
Nulono wrote:

Even if it cannot feel pain?

If I killed you painlessly, would that be okay? What if I killed someone with congenital insensitivity to pain?

Arilando wrote:
Nulono wrote:1. I'm pretty sure he was saying abortion SHOULD be allowed.

1. he said it should only be allowed in special circumstances, i believe it should allways be allowed
2. The infant can be adopted, a fetus cannot

2. The infant can't be adopted until you find an adoptive family. The fetus can't be adopted until birth. What does being able to be adopted have to do with the right to not be killed?

Dyakovo wrote:
Nulono wrote:Despising someone doesn't mean it's okay if you kill them.

Endangering someone's life isn't okay either, but you seem to support it if the one doing the endangering is a fetus...

Right, 'cause it's totally the fetus's fault. Fetuses just walk around in the astral plane, rubbing their hands maniacally and looking for a woman to kill.

Umbagar wrote:
Nulono wrote:Despising someone doesn't mean it's okay if you kill them.

there are several reasons why forcing a woman to have a rapist's child is wrong:
1. it can cause emotional damage if you know that the genetics of the man who harmed you is inside you.
2. Even if the baby is born and the woman has to look after it she will probably abuse it if it is not wanted.

1. It's not okay to kill someone just because you don't like their genes.
2. Then put the baby for adoption. It's not okay to kill someone because you don't think you'd be a good parent.

Arilando wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

Yes but afterwards she can choose to have an abortion, dont she have the right to do so? Also abortion saves live, there is a higher change of dying giving birth than dying having an abortion.
Abortion has a 100% chance of death.

Umbagar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Umbagar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

Arilando wrote:
Umbagar wrote:

At some point a fetus is still a child. I believe that you get 1 choice in whether or not to have a baby, which is when you decide to have sex. Killing off things that will be children on a whim is immoral in my opinion.
Factbook
My political compass:

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:13 am

Nulono wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:The term "anyone" implies personhood, something a fetus lacks.
Says who?

Personhood wrote:being a person

"Person wrote:A person is most broadly defined as any individual self-conscious or rational being, or any entity having rights and duties; or often more narrowly defined as an individual human being in particular.

Nulono wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Yup, that totally what I'm saying. :roll:
Your excuse was "No, because at that point the child is legally a person.". Is legal personhood relevant or not?

Yes, legal personhood is relevant. Acknowledging legal personhood as relevant is not, however, the same thing as saying that it is the only thing that is relevant. So you can quit building straw men.
Married to Koshka

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:13 am

Nulono wrote:Abortion has a 100% chance of death.

Lies.

http://joseromia.tripod.com/survivors.html

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 am

Umbagar wrote:
Arilando wrote:Yes but afterwards she can choose to have an abortion, dont she have the right to do so? Also abortion saves live, there is a higher change of dying giving birth than dying having an abortion.

At some point a fetus is still a child. I believe that you get 1 choice in whether or not to have a baby, which is when you decide to have sex. Killing off things that will be children on a whim is immoral in my opinion.

Killing off anyone is bad IMO.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 am

Nulono wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Endangering someone's life isn't okay either, but you seem to support it if the one doing the endangering is a fetus...

Right, 'cause it's totally the fetus's fault. Fetuses just walk around in the astral plane, rubbing their hands maniacally and looking for a woman to kill.

Building straw men is your favorite pastime isn't it?
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 am

Nulono wrote:
Arilando wrote:Yes but afterwards she can choose to have an abortion, dont she have the right to do so? Also abortion saves live, there is a higher change of dying giving birth than dying having an abortion.
Abortion has a 100% chance of death.

Really? everyone who has had an abortion has died? The statistics on people who have had multiple abortions must be made up then...
Married to Koshka

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General