NATION

PASSWORD

Emigrating from the USA to Europe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Militsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1384
Founded: May 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Emigrating from the USA to Europe

Postby Militsia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:45 am

Hello,

This is a serious question: If someone wanted to permanently relocate from the USA to Europe, which countries would be viable options? And once inside the EU would such family be free to relocate to the country of choice?
The only easy day is yesterday
Report Suspicious Activity
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:Let's ban Militsia from making threads, eh?

I agree. It's usually some sort of xenophobic moral guardian stuff.

User avatar
Lacadaemon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5322
Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 am

Pick one where you speak the language.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

User avatar
Norstal
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41464
Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:06 am

I can recommend the European nations you should NOT go to.

Greece, Ireland, and Spain.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★


New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.


IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10


NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.



Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

User avatar
Militsia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1384
Founded: May 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Militsia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 am

Lacadaemon wrote:Pick one where you speak the language.


It is not my family. The father in the family knows a little German from high school, other than that they are a English speaking family. Isn't it so that virtually all in Europe speaks some English, so it should not be that hard for them to resettle anywhere and learn the local language after arrival.
The only easy day is yesterday
Report Suspicious Activity
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:Let's ban Militsia from making threads, eh?

I agree. It's usually some sort of xenophobic moral guardian stuff.

User avatar
Marcurix
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5233
Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 am

Militsia wrote:Hello,

This is a serious question: If someone wanted to permanently relocate from the USA to Europe, which countries would be viable options? And once inside the EU would such family be free to relocate to the country of choice?


Depends if you speak any other language besides English. If not you've got few places. Namley The UK or the Republic of Ireland.

And once inside the EU would such family be free to relocate to the country of choice?


Only if you had an EU member citizenship, in which case you could go to any country in the EU with no trouble, as long as you find employment and pay taxes you stay.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

User avatar
Lacadaemon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5322
Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 am

Militsia wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:Pick one where you speak the language.


It is not my family. The father in the family knows a little German from high school, other than that they are a English speaking family. Isn't it so that virtually all in Europe speaks some English, so it should not be that hard for them to resettle anywhere and learn the local language after arrival.


No. Virtually all of Europe does not speak some English. You are generally okay in the bigger cities around the touristy areas, and Scandinavia and the low countries, but in many places people don't speak enough for it to be a good idea to move there. Also, it really hampers getting any sort of job, finding a place to live &c. if you can't deal with the local lingo.

Also, Europeans, like everyone else don't like it when people move to their country and don't speak the language. Tourists are different (except in France, where French is mandatory at all times and in all places).

Honestly, for English speakers, really the UK or Ireland is the best bet.

Of course, if there is some sort of absolute love for Italy or someshit, or a particular career opportunity thingy, then that's different. But I would bone up on the local lingo first in any case.

Why are they moving though?
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

User avatar
Innsmothe
Senator
 
Posts: 4305
Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 am

Norway or Sweden.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

User avatar
Neo-Pangaea
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Pangaea » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:44 am

Militsia wrote:Hello,

This is a serious question: If someone wanted to permanently relocate from the USA to Europe, which countries would be viable options? And once inside the EU would such family be free to relocate to the country of choice?


I think this depends a lot on the background of the prospective immigrant. Each EU-country has its own laws regarding immigration by people from outside the EU. The immigrant may have to show an employment offer from a company in the specific country, only certain jobs may be desired, and there may be requirements regarding language proficiency. Turning an immigration into a permanent relocation may be more or less difficult, requiring renewal of various permits every few years or becoming naturalized, which tends to be a lengthy process.

User avatar
Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50518
Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:46 am

Heres a thought: don't.

Unless they're commies, then they by all means, leave. :P
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

User avatar
Alesyium
Envoy
 
Posts: 322
Founded: May 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Alesyium » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:51 am

Ireland actually wants people to emigrate to it because it has population problems. So that is good you can generally get a good deal on housing and find a job. However although everyone there speaks English you will find a lot of stuff written in Irish which is tough to learn. However it shouldn't be a massive problem.

The United Kingdom is obviously good for speaking English and culturally its fairly similar to the United States. However I wouldn't emigrate to there unless you already had a job lined up, because work is relatively difficult to come by and house prices are high.

Der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (little test :) ) is lovely but the whole family should at least speak a little German to begin with and learn at least a bit of its culture. Its a lovely place but you will find it hard to get a job away from the larger urban areas.

In France at least both adults should speak fluent french and the children should have some basics. see United Kingdom for jobs

Italy, if you can get a house.....well done

Norway or Sweden are also good, though I can't tell you much about them

If you become a naturalised citizen of any European member you are then in turn a member of the E.U which makes it a lot easier to re emigrate within the E.U
Last edited by Alesyium on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Velgrae
Diplomat
 
Posts: 632
Founded: Jul 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Velgrae » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am

I'd not mind living in Ireland or the U.K. I just read that there's 20 Million Irish Pureblood Americans, and only 5 Million Irish in Ireland
The Federal Republic of the Union of Velgrae
Through Strength, Prosperity.

Dictator: Senior General Morgan Ferguson
Ruling Military Junta/Dictatorship: State Peace and Progress Council
Co-Rulers:
General Terrence Stoddard
Brigadier General Boyd McCracken
Brigadier General Donovan Bradley
Active Personnel: 32,344,203
Reserve Personnel: 83,399,200
Branches: Air Force, Ground Forces, Navy
Patined wrote:"Sir God is on the phone". Ok Hello God ."why hello i'll sent you 100000000 angel warriors to help in the attack""Thank you my lord."

User avatar
Umbagar
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Umbagar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:12 am

Militsia wrote:Hello,

This is a serious question: If someone wanted to permanently relocate from the USA to Europe, which countries would be viable options? And once inside the EU would such family be free to relocate to the country of choice?


I temporarily moved from the US to Germany a few months ago and I'm here for a few more. It's a pretty nice place to live, and a lot of people speak English (at least in Berlin) and they are fairly polite (much more polite than most Parisians, that's for sure). The only drawback might possibly be some of the excessive government forms and the strict gun control laws if you are into firearms. Many Europeans countries share this characteristic, so it's not really important. Also, German is fairly similar to English and seeing as your Dad already has a little German knowledge that will be beneficial, but the language is pretty easy to pick up. Germany has a strong economy and plenty of job opportunities and since it's an EU nation you can travel to all other EU nations freely. All in all, I'd say Germany is one of the best place in Europe to live. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
Factbook
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13
"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else."
Political Pilgrims wrote:我们不是陌生人的爱。你知道规则,所以我也是一个完整的承诺是我想到的。你不会得到任何其他人的。
Politics may seem like seem like a word signifying big and scary things, but it becomes much simpler if you break it down into its roots; Poly, meaning many, and ticks, meaning blood-sucking insects.

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56476
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:34 am

Militsia wrote:And once inside the EU would such family be free to relocate to the country of choice?

Not quite. Non-EU citizens can relocate to the country of choice provided they have a valid immigration visa for that country (tourism visas are a different matter - and give basically free movement within the Schengen area iirc).
nangiqatigillugu kalaałłiit nunaanni
je soutiens le canada / i stand with canada
estoy con panamá

User avatar
Nobel Hobos
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7196
Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 am

EDIT: post removed. I shouldn't use the name of a poster who I intend to Ignore.
Last edited by Nobel Hobos on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin. — Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS. — DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures. — Ardchoille

User avatar
Shofercia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31341
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Shofercia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 am

It could be that Militsia's relatives/friends are in one of those professions where unemployment rate is 30% in the US. Overall unemployment rate here is 20%. It's extremely high, and part of the reason why Dems got booted in Midterms. Obama was supposed to create jobs, he failed at that. So they could be trying to figure out where to move, due to lack of a job. In America, people only have savings for about 2 months, so if a person lost a job and cannot find another within a month - panic sets it. Personally, although I'm not considering moving to the EU, I find this thread helpful.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

User avatar
--Europe--
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 136
Founded: Sep 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby --Europe-- » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:10 am

NO! Capitalist Americans will not reloacate from evil United States of America to glorious European Union of Soviet Socialist Republics!!
The European Union
Current Date: February, 2011
Current Chancellor - Fredrick Aringarosa (officially entered office: 2010, acting Chancellor: 2009)
Constitution Signed - Late 2009
Population - 303,000,000
Active Armed Forces - 821,000

User avatar
Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9452
Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:35 am

I had heard that German-descended Russian citizens could apply for citizenship to German if their families had emmigrated during the reign of Catharine the Great. Does anyone know if this is true, and if it would apply to am American citizen (of German descent) who's family moved to Russia under Catharine the Great?

I've considered applying for citizenship under such a condition... so long as I can convince my wife to go along. I'd love to repatriate to Germany.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

User avatar
Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9452
Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:42 am

Shofercia wrote:In America, people only have savings for about 2 months,


Few American's have this much in savings.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

User avatar
Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50518
Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:45 am

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Shofercia wrote:In America, people only have savings for about 2 months,


Few American's have this much in savings.

Im even stranger than I thought then... :?
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

User avatar
Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9452
Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:53 am

Lackadaisical2 wrote:Im even stranger than I thought then... :?


I should say that cautiously. I'm pretty sure that few American's have much at all (if anything) in savings in general. I know that the recommendation is to have six weeks in savings (the average length of a job search - though that's higher now, I'm sure.)
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

User avatar
Robarya
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1271
Founded: May 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:53 am

If I were an American, I would stay in the U.S., considering English is only the native language in the United Kingdom and Ireland. I can't speak for Ireland, but I would stay the hell away from the U.K. and its extensive CCTV surveillence. Besides, the U.S. seems to have a far better view on one's right to self-defense than we have here in Europe, together with a more liberal economy (although it should be noted that Europe is far from socialist, except its eastern parts).

User avatar
Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50518
Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:55 am

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:Im even stranger than I thought then... :?


I should say that cautiously. I'm pretty sure that few American's have much at all (if anything) in savings in general. I know that the recommendation is to have six weeks in savings (the average length of a job search - though that's higher now, I'm sure.)

That just goofy... 6 weeks. I prefer 2 years. Thats how I could be on vacation for the past year. :P
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

User avatar
Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26182
Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:02 am

Militsia wrote:Hello,

This is a serious question: If someone wanted to permanently relocate from the USA to Europe, which countries would be viable options?

All of them? I dunno, "viable" can be a really subjective term. Likewise, I can't recommend moving to a European country without knowing the local language if you don't have a job lined up. Finding one without a decent grasp of the local tongue could be really, really hard.
And once inside the EU would such family be free to relocate to the country of choice?

Nyeh. The EU isn't really what's key here, it's the Schengen area. This would include Switzerland and Norway, but exclude the UK (though as an EU citizen, I've never had problems getting there). Best ask at an embassy to be sure.

User avatar
Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26182
Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:03 am

Lackadaisical2 wrote:Heres a thought: don't.

Unless they're commies, then they by all means, leave. :P

Funny. Back when I was a kid, it was the communists that discouraged people from leaving.

User avatar
Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50518
Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:06 am

Laerod wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:Heres a thought: don't.

Unless they're commies, then they by all means, leave. :P

Funny. Back when I was a kid, it was the communists that discouraged people from leaving.

Quite right, although ours is more a problem of keeping people out than in.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Saiwania-, Bombadil, Hittanryan, Ifreann, Kurgao, Mara Der Impitystan, Mettaton-EX, Port Carverton, Rusozak, Threlizdun, Window Land, Xmara

Advertisement

Remove ads