NATION

PASSWORD

Religious schools

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Religious schools

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Lizardiar wrote:Why don't you people get it?! There will always be conflicts, whether that's a school fight or a full-blown war with another nation. It's human nature people!

History repeats itself.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Lizardiar
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Lizardiar wrote:Why don't you people get it?! There will always be conflicts, whether that's a school fight or a full-blown war with another nation. It's human nature people!

History repeats itself.

I don't know if this in contradicting me, but QFT.
In all corners of the globe, the free people's slogan is this:
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Surote wrote:Do you think it's good to send your kid to a religous schools and would you do it?

I think to many people brainwash there kids and I would never do that to my child.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6865just in case you want to see

I'd rather teach my child not to listen to everything the teacher says and get a good education, than have a shitty public school education. I won't send my child to public school, I'll find a way to avoid that when I have a child, if I have one.

I'd probably send him to a non-religious private school, if I could, until he's old enough to comprehend the basic ideas of most religious beliefs.

At that point, I'd ask him to consider, and offer him a chance to share his opinion. If he didn't want to, I'd have no problem. If he wanted to, I'd gladly send him there.

And like I said, I'd teach my child to do what I would do--respect the teacher's words, but then form your own opinions.

If I ever found out the teacher was enforcing an ideology that my child didn't agree with, I'd deal with the teacher face to face, and/or pull my child out of the school.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:"Brainwashing?" Is that what non-religious folks have taken to calling people of faith? Come on.

It's a contentious phrase, but it's not unfair. The Bible tells Christians to indoctrinate kids, because they'll stay conditioned as adults.

If it were anything but religion, we'd call it brainwashing. Indeed, if it were a 'cult' religion, we'd STILL call it brainwashing. Some people just don't believe in pleading special exception for organised religions - they call it what it is.
I identify as
a problem

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Lizardiar wrote:I don't know if this in contradicting me, but QFT.

It's agreeing with you.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Lizardiar
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:47 pm

It's agreeing with you.

O..k.... :blink: ....what do you want now? :blink:
In all corners of the globe, the free people's slogan is this:
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Lizardiar wrote:

It's agreeing with you.

O..k.... :blink: ....what do you want now? :blink:

probably a cookie...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Dyakovo wrote:probably a cookie...

Psh, Why settle for less?

Push for cake! :D

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:probably a cookie...

Psh, Why settle for less?

Push for cake! :D

The cake is a lie. :(
I identify as
a problem

Dinaverg
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinaverg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Surote wrote:Do you think it's good to send your kid to a religous schools and would you do it?

I think to many people brainwash there kids and I would never do that to my child.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6865just in case you want to see

I'd rather teach my child not to listen to everything the teacher says and get a good education, than have a shitty public school education. I won't send my child to public school, I'll find a way to avoid that when I have a child, if I have one.

I'd probably send him to a non-religious private school, if I could, until he's old enough to comprehend the basic ideas of most religious beliefs.

At that point, I'd ask him to consider, and offer him a chance to share his opinion. If he didn't want to, I'd have no problem. If he wanted to, I'd gladly send him there.

And like I said, I'd teach my child to do what I would do--respect the teacher's words, but then form your own opinions.

If I ever found out the teacher was enforcing an ideology that my child didn't agree with, I'd deal with the teacher face to face, and/or pull my child out of the school.

Hell, if your expectations for your kid are that high, it really shouldn't matter if they're in public school.
DINA
DINA
DINA

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:58 pm

I disagree with religious schools. An insular upbringing is harmful to the child and prevents them developing a rounded, nuanced view of the world and importantly, it's other inhabitants.
...gorgonopsids.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Lizardiar wrote:O..k.... :blink: ....what do you want now? :blink:

Merely clarifying.

Cowland5
Attaché

Founded: Jun 26, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cowland5 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Jordaxia wrote:I disagree with religious schools. An insular upbringing is harmful to the child and prevents them developing a rounded, nuanced view of the world and importantly, it's other inhabitants.

This is a reason why I don't like religious schools, although they probably aren't all like that. I'm not totally against the idea of religious schools, but I wouldn't want to go to one.
Last edited by Cowland5 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidebody
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sidebody » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Jordaxia wrote:I disagree with religious schools. An insular upbringing is harmful to the child and prevents them developing a rounded, nuanced view of the world and importantly, it's other inhabitants.

Can't they get such interactions outside of a school setting through sports, clubs, etc. There is nothing to say that school is the only place for this.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Honestly, I would never send my kid to a religious school. Mainly because I doubt I'll agree with their curriculum about abstinence only education, and how evolution is a lie, and how Wicca and other forms of Paganism is devil worship.

Although I do like the schoolgirl outfit.

Cowland5
Attaché

Founded: Jun 26, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cowland5 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Sidebody wrote:

Can't they get such interactions outside of a school setting through sports, clubs, etc. There is nothing to say that school is the only place for this.

True. Some schools, however, are kind of controlling: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30669405/?GT1=43001

From the article wrote:his fundamentalist Baptist school Ohio forbids dancing, rock music and hand-holding
Last edited by Cowland5 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Honestly, I would never send my kid to a religious school. Mainly because I doubt I'll agree with their curriculum about abstinence only education, and how evolution is a lie, and how Wicca and other forms of Paganism is devil worship.

the thought that a someone would send their kid to a school like that because they like the way the uniform looks...

Im not sure whether to :rofl: or :shock: :eek: ...maybe both, :lol2:

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Honestly, I would never send my kid to a religious school. Mainly because I doubt I'll agree with their curriculum about abstinence only education, and how evolution is a lie, and how Wicca and other forms of Paganism is devil worship.

yeah but nothing makes you feel like more of a perv (when you arent one) than checking out your child's classmates.
whatever

Anti-Social Darwinism
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Social Darwinism » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:30 pm

My kids are now too old to go to school (unless they want to). But, if I had had the money at the time, or if I had been aware of scholarships, I would have sent them to a religious school in a heartbeat.

Where they grew up, the quality of education in public schools was abysmal. It would have taken less effort on my part to counter the religious propaganda offered in the private schools than it took for me to counter the effects of incompetent teachers, crowded classrooms, inadequate supplies and books and schoolyard violence in the public schools.

When my daughter got into graduate school, the best one available in her subject was, not surprisingly, Loma Linda University - a religious school. They public schools teaching graduate level epidemiology (specifically UCLA) were not only more style than substance, they ignored her application while Loma Linda practically dragged her in (they did not attempt to convert her at all, since they were more interested in teaching than evangelizing).

And, since Vatican II, Catholic schools have been hiring more high quality non-religious teachers from all backgrounds - my sister, a Wiccan, taught American Literature at a parochial high school in the Bay Area for a couple of decades.
NSG's resident curmudgeon.

Add 6,771 posts from the old NSG.

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Sidebody wrote:Can't they get such interactions outside of a school setting through sports, clubs, etc. There is nothing to say that school is the only place for this.

No, but school is where you spend most of your time when you're a child, and so is where you actually get most of your information about the world. So it's more likely to leave a negative impact that extracurricular activities cannot totally erase.
...gorgonopsids.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Anti-Social Darwinism wrote:My kids are now too old to go to school (unless they want to). But, if I had had the money at the time, or if I had been aware of scholarships, I would have sent them to a religious school in a heartbeat.

Where they grew up, the quality of education in public schools was abysmal. It would have taken less effort on my part to counter the religious propaganda offered in the private schools than it took for me to counter the effects of incompetent teachers, crowded classrooms, inadequate supplies and books and schoolyard violence in the public schools.

When my daughter got into graduate school, the best one available in her subject was, not surprisingly, Loma Linda University - a religious school. They public schools teaching graduate level epidemiology (specifically UCLA) were not only more style than substance, they ignored her application while Loma Linda practically dragged her in (they did not attempt to convert her at all, since they were more interested in teaching than evangelizing).

And, since Vatican II, Catholic schools have been hiring more high quality non-religious teachers from all backgrounds - my sister, a Wiccan, taught American Literature at a parochial high school in the Bay Area for a couple of decades.

Thats the way it is in the Delta Here, brings the whole State down, the Public Schools on the coast are quite nice, but, go north of Hattiesburg and everythings about abysmal...

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:23 pm

I went to Catholic school for several years. It was a crappy school and I hated it. The teachers were largely incompetent, and several of them taught things as fact that were flatly untrue. It had exactly one thing going for it - it was a great deal better than the public school I would have been going to otherwise.

So, y'know, in an ideal world, I'd never have gone to Catholic school, and I'd never send my children to such a school, but in the real world, my parents sent me to the best school they could afford, and until I got old enough to earn a scholarship to the very good secular private school in the area, Catholic school was the best they could do. If I'd been in their shoes, I would have made the same decision.
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
"Extortion is such a nasty word.
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----
"Go forth my snarky diaper babies, and CONQUER!" - Neo Art

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:I went to Catholic school for several years. It was a crappy school and I hated it. The teachers were largely incompetent, and several of them taught things as fact that were flatly untrue. It had exactly one thing going for it - it was a great deal better than the public school I would have been going to otherwise.

So, y'know, in an ideal world, I'd never have gone to Catholic school, and I'd never send my children to such a school, but in the real world, my parents sent me to the best school they could afford, and until I got old enough to earn a scholarship to the very good secular private school in the area, Catholic school was the best they could do. If I'd been in their shoes, I would have made the same decision.

I think their decision was the best they could have made, but I despair of the society in which it was a necessary one. Financial stratification of education is something I'm acutely aware of, and the ethics (or lack of them) repulse me. This is why I don't like religious schools, and why I don't like private schools either, but I'm trying not to stray into that topic as it's not the one being discussed.
...gorgonopsids.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Even if I were Catholic, the nearest Catholic school is probably the foulest nest of drugs and debauchery in the area. No, that's not enough to sell me on it. :p

Little Goofball starts 2nd grade this September and I intend to continue supplementing his and my younger children's educations myself despite the outrageous suggestion by his 1st grade teacher last hear that I not so my son doesn't get too far ahead. Can you believe that shit?!? >:(
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:

"Brainwashing?" Is that what non-religious folks have taken to calling people of faith? Come on.

If responsible, normal, religious individuals want to send their child to a school that happens to teach their religious view point in a responsible, non-radicalized, otherwise normal school environment, then yes.

What's the problem? They're not harming you in any way.

It's brainwashing them when there young to believe in something

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General