NATION

PASSWORD

Whose football wins and why

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Fnordgasm 5 wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:The football code dominant in the US is indeed a descendant of rugby. But rugby, despite what so many people here seem to insist, is not a descendant of association football.

All modern codes of football are based on a medieval game that was a hybrid between a kicking-oriented code (which is the defining aspect of today's Association Football) and a running/passing-oriented code (which defines modern rugby and American football). Both the kicking-oriented codes and the running/passing-oriented codes are descendants of this medieval game and developed in parallel; the running/passing-oriented (rugby and its descendants) codes are in no way a descendant of the kicking-oriented code that became Association Football. In fact, recognizably modern Rugby Union actually predates the code developed by the Football Association that became Association Football.

So the argument of some association football/soccer fetishists that are claiming they are entitled to pre-eminence in the use of the term "football" based on some supposed historical lineage in which Rugby and its descendants (including the American game) are nothing more than descendants of the Association code are rooted in nothing but ignorance.

Which is all well and good but in reality it doesn't really matter. You see, that's the thing with language. If people want to call soccer football that their right. It's just a name. It doesn't matter. You know, for someone who believe in personal freedom you seem awfully invested in telling people what the can and can not call things..

People can and should call soccer football...what they can't and shouldn't do is tell us we can't call gridiron football too.

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:The football code dominant in the US is indeed a descendant of rugby. But rugby, despite what so many people here seem to insist, is not a descendant of association football.

All modern codes of football are based on a medieval game that was a hybrid between a kicking-oriented code (which is the defining aspect of today's Association Football) and a running/passing-oriented code (which defines modern rugby and American football). Both the kicking-oriented codes and the running/passing-oriented codes are descendants of this medieval game and developed in parallel; the running/passing-oriented (rugby and its descendants) codes are in no way a descendant of the kicking-oriented code that became Association Football. In fact, recognizably modern Rugby Union actually predates the code developed by the Football Association that became Association Football.

So the argument of some association football/soccer fetishists that are claiming they are entitled to pre-eminence in the use of the term "football" based on some supposed historical lineage in which Rugby and its descendants (including the American game) are nothing more than descendants of the Association code are rooted in nothing but ignorance.

It's a sign of the apocalypse, isn't it? It's Archie Manning's second coming...I agree with Bluth on something, :o

:p

Pfft. I cant believe you guys still remember Archie Manning when Brees just won you a superbowl. :P

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Brewdomia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

It's a sign of the apocalypse, isn't it? It's Archie Manning's second coming...I agree with Bluth on something, :o

Pfft. I cant believe you guys still remember Archie Manning when Brees just won you a superbowl. :P

Bluth is an Indy fan, so, obviously he's the only one who could pull the two of us together on something, :lol2:

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Brewdomia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

Bluth is an Indy fan, so, obviously he's the only one who could pull the two of us together on something, :lol2:

Well, I also went to Purdue...
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Brewdomia wrote:Brees just won you a superbowl. :P

The New Orleans Satans are pathological cheaters; therefore, they won nothing.
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Brewdomia wrote:Brees just won you a superbowl. :P

The New Orleans Satans are pathological cheaters; therefore, they won nothing.

8)

The Zoogie People
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zoogie People » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Georgism wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:Nobody wins. Sports are pointless and primal.

And yet make billions every year....

Because the ignorant masses are easily amazed and distracted by competitive stupidity.

THat is completely false, some of the most intelligent men on the planet thoroughly enjoy sports.

Like Stephen Hawking, right?

Geez, the dude has a disability.

I honestly don't know what you're getting at. Being academically motivated and accomplished has nothing to do with not liking sports. Plenty of people enjoy both, including top professors at top universities. Being physically active and enjoying athletics is one of the most basic human needs - it's for EVERYONE. I mean, so is being intelligent. I don't get the either-or mentality at all.

Fnordgasm 5
Senator

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fnordgasm 5 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Fnordgasm 5 wrote:

Which is all well and good but in reality it doesn't really matter. You see, that's the thing with language. If people want to call soccer football that their right. It's just a name. It doesn't matter. You know, for someone who believe in personal freedom you seem awfully invested in telling people what the can and can not call things..

People can and should call soccer football...what they can't and shouldn't do is tell us we can't call gridiron football too.

I might get annoyed when americans say "I could care less", you know, because it's silly and makes no sense, but I wouldn't dream of telling you what to call american football. It's football to you and I couldn't care less. It's a silly thing to argue about..
Fnordgasm 5 is a twat.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Georgism wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:

Because the ignorant masses are easily amazed and distracted by competitive stupidity.

THat is completely false, some of the most intelligent men on the planet thoroughly enjoy sports.

As a matter fact, yes.

He was, after all, the coxswain for Oxford's rowing team.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Fnordgasm 5 wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Fnordgasm 5 wrote:

I might get annoyed when americans say "I could care less", you know, because it's silly and makes no sense, but I wouldn't dream of telling you what to call american football. It's football to you and I couldn't care less. It's a silly thing to argue about..

I agree, but, that's prettymuch what this thread boiled down to, ;)

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Georgism wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:

As Bluth Corporation said, he was. Many many many famous intellects were also on some sports team at their Alma Mater.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:48 pm

I think, soccer and Rugby split up finally in the 1860s or 70s, with each going their separate ways from there. The clubs couldn't come to an agreement, and thus the passing ones left. Which gave rise to Rugby. Association Football took a while to get rid of marking and have a crossbar on the goals.

So essentially medieval football was similar to Australian Rules. I declare victory.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Western cuba
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Western cuba » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:48 pm

I was just thinking why don't you just call foot ball ( american ) hand ball but that's already taken to!
Last edited by Western cuba on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now known as the Technological State of Adros, the successor state of Western Cuba

Sun Aut Ex
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Aut Ex » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:08 pm

South Norwega wrote:So essentially medieval football was similar to Australian Rules. I declare victory.

I think a more accurate way to put it would be "both medieval and Australian football are similar to a train wreck, except replacing the train with a ball".
Strykyh wrote:I wasn't trying to be intelligent.

Keronians wrote:
So you think it's ok to waste valuable police time and resources to pander to minority superstitions?

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about ten minutes, I have to go to ID a Muslim woman."

Yes.

Unless of course it's not OK for a woman to ask for a female to ask for a female officer to carry out body checks. In which case, the answer would be no.

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about then minutes, I have to go to carry out a body check on a woman."

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:37 am

Western cuba wrote:I was just thinking why don't you just call foot ball ( american ) hand ball but that's already taken to!

Because it's a football game.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:42 am

Western cuba wrote:I was just thinking why don't you just call foot ball ( american ) hand ball but that's already taken to!

Because it would disregard the entire etymology of both names?

The Utopia of Rapture
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Utopia of Rapture » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 am

I think you mean handegg.
Economic Left/Right: 9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.54

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Whose football wins and why

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:00 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Because it's a football game.

No it's just a game you can call it whatever with enough people calling it the same thing.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 am

Western cuba wrote:American football is actually a fail game just look at it. Football. You don't even use you foot ever

Western cuba wrote:and the ball is not even a ball it looks more like a deformed egg. :p

Really? It's not?
ball (bôl) wrote:noun
1. any round, or spherical, object; sphere; globe
2. a planet or star, esp. the earth
3. a) a round or egg-shaped object used in various games
b) any of several such games, esp. baseball
4. a throw or pitch of a ball
5. a) a solid missile or projectile for a cannon or firearm
b) such projectiles for firearms, collectively
6. a rounded part of the body: the ball of the foot
7. SLANG
a) VULGAR a testicle: usually used in pl.
b) daring or courage

I guess you were wrong again...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:17 am

Cloddhopper-Love wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Cloddhopper-Love wrote:football is the wuss' game.

Go rugby

Rugby's a code of football. :meh:

It may be, but rugby is much better than football. Plus the poster said "American football", and personally I've never seen American's playing rugby. I may be wrong though...

You are
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Il grande italia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Il grande italia » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 am

Football or soccer is much better than the other football

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:32 am

Il grande italia wrote:Football or soccer is much better than the other football

Explain why it is objectively better.
Married to Koshka

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:33 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Il grande italia wrote:Football or soccer is much better than the other football

Explain why it is objectively better.

It's a sacred,moral, and universal truth? :p

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Cloddhopper-Love wrote:football is the wuss' game.

Go rugby

Rugby's a code of football. :meh:

Umm, yes?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Andrewboy wrote:Bord scottish people+picex of wood+gopher holes=Golf

Fixed that for you
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General