NATION

PASSWORD

Whose football wins and why

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:46 am

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:
Canadai wrote:Canadian football has the biggest field compared to American football and soccer.

Wrong. Association football pitches are 100-120m, generally 105-110m. Canadian football fields are 100m.

AFL pitches are generally 150 metres long and 135 metres wide. Thats right. You can't out wank Australia.

but they are circular
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:52 am

The Plutonian Empire wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
The Plutonian Empire wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:
Central World Alliance wrote:Does American football beat regular football and why.

American football is "regular football."

No, American football is American football. Soccer is what Americans call football.

Uhhhh.... wut? :eyebrow:

What's really so hard to get about that?

I thought he was trying to say that it was NON-Americans who called soccer football, but made a typo? :unsure:

That is what I said, and no, I didn't make a typo...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Holy Marsh wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Hmm, let us see...

• Economically: there is no contest: Football. American Football is dwarfed by the amount of money that goes around in Football.
  • Popularity: again no contest. Football is popular in almost every country on all continents. American Football is mostly popular in the USA.
  • Linguistically: Football. Voetbal. Fussball. It is a game where you play a ball with your foot most of the time. Again - something almost every country agrees on.
  • As a sport: Hmm. Tricky. American Football requires more strategy, but has too many breaks. A small win to AF.
  • Macho Man: Football. Really. American Football players wear armour. Footballers wear shorts and kick eachother into the hospital.

Who continues ?

Eliminate the first three because it has nothing to do with what sport is better.

Complete and utter bullcrap ;) The question is "which sport wins". Not "which sport wis when we only look at...".

I am surprised noone has mentioned negative side-effects like hooligans btw. American Football has less hooligans I believe, and therefor wins there.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Holy Marsh wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Hmm, let us see...

• Economically: there is no contest: Football. American Football is dwarfed by the amount of money that goes around in Football.
  • Popularity: again no contest. Football is popular in almost every country on all continents. American Football is mostly popular in the USA.
  • Linguistically: Football. Voetbal. Fussball. It is a game where you play a ball with your foot most of the time. Again - something almost every country agrees on.
  • As a sport: Hmm. Tricky. American Football requires more strategy, but has too many breaks. A small win to AF.
  • Macho Man: Football. Really. American Football players wear armour. Footballers wear shorts and kick eachother into the hospital.

Who continues ?

Eliminate the first three because it has nothing to do with what sport is better.

Complete and utter bullcrap ;) But you know that.

I am surprised noone has mentioned negative side-effects like hooligans btw. American Football has less hooligans I believe, and therefor wins there.

No, I don't think it is bullcrap.XD I personally find any appeal to majority/popularity to be useless when discussing which sport/game/show is best.

As for why no one has mentioned hooligans and whatnot, I think that is because we don't try to diss sports for the actions of their fans.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Soccer/Real Football....Takes a lot more skill...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Asovium
Secretary

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Asovium » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 pm

I couldn't care less really, since Wales can't play either with any amount of talent.

Woo, Rugby YEAH! And so on and so forth.
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

Flammable Ice
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flammable Ice » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Central World Alliance wrote:Does American football beat regular football and why.

I love how you referred to football using the word "regular" instead of "normal" - just like an American would.

Anyway, I've yet to watch a game of American football, but I it is said that the players are wont to collide with each other at high velocities, which I could find rather amusing.
Last edited by Flammable Ice on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abury
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Abury » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 pm

European Soccer is a shit for female or omosexual

every fucking game ends 0-0
Economic Left/Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.10

Central World Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Central World Alliance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Canadai wrote:Canadian football.

I respect that because those guys are tough playing in the frezzing cold with snow on the ground
It's not illegal it's only frowned upon by most countries.
AWESOME!
I Came to Play
Immune to Fear
My Map http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn20 ... dAllia.png

Upper North Yorkshire
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Upper North Yorkshire » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Abury wrote:European Soccer is a shit for female or omosexual

every fucking game ends 0-0

no it doesn't, and whats an omosexual? an whats wrong with being omosexual, better than being like ben rapistberger. funny that european football hooligans have come up but at least the players aren't scum like in the nfl - rapistberger, vick, ray lewis (murderer)

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:46 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:
Maurepas wrote:American, cause they have a team in New Orleans, 8)

Too bad the one in Baltimore is better.

If you say so...have to see, but, I think we'll see a second-coming of Breesus soon, :p

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Flammable Ice wrote:Anyway, I've yet to watch a game of American football, but I it is said that the players are wont to collide with each other at high velocities, which I could find rather amusing.

Here ya go...
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Aivus
Secretary

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aivus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Going from a democratic general consensus point of view, non-American football is the better version.

My opinion is that although American football is fun to play, non-American football is more fun to watch, and more manly and intricate of a sport. More manly in the aspect that the players wear less equipment (I know it's not as rough a game, but in the pros, a game of non-American football without equipment is about the same on a body as American football with their armour). Then, more intricate in that there is more precision involved in playing the game. In American football, a player may just brute force his way through a million people, where in non-American football, a player must employ complex tactics when attempting to dribble through just a few people!
]
Overall, I say non-American football is better. But American football isn't *that* far back, it is really fun to play.

ThisIsNotACountry
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ThisIsNotACountry » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Hydesland wrote:Image

^This.
../\_
/__\
(^͜_^)
/___\
|___|
(_)(_)
•Motto: "This is not a motto."
•Currency: The nothing
•National Animal: Lawn Gnome (shown above)
•Capital City: Blahblah
•Leader: John Doe III
•National Religion: indifference
•Population: 6.902 Billion (as of January 25, 2015)
•Tax rate: 98.1%
•National Anthem: The Laughing Gnome
•Politics and Whatnot: Liberal, Democratic, Secular, Communist (Marxist)
Diplomacy Fails by A mean old man

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:41 pm

ThisIsNotACountry wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

^This.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football
The game of football is any of several similar team sports, of similar origins which involve, to varying degrees, kicking a ball with the foot in an attempt to score a goal. The most popular of these sports worldwide is association football, more commonly known as just "football" or "soccer". The word football is applied to whichever form of football is the most popular in each particular part of the world. Hence, the English language word "football" is applied to "gridiron football," a name associated with American football and Canadian football, Australian rules football, Gaelic football, Rugby league, Rugby union and some related games. These variations are known as "codes".

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:03 pm

American cause it requires more intelligence, you have to be aware at all times, and have the ability to be hit thousands of times over the course of a season.

Plus, American Football has some of the richest sports franchises in the world, and thats just one country.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Maurepas wrote:
ThisIsNotACountry wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

^This.

The game of football is any of several similar team sports, of similar origins which involve, to varying degrees, kicking a ball with the foot in an attempt to score a goal. The most popular of these sports worldwide is association football, more commonly known as just "football" or "soccer". The word football is applied to whichever form of football is the most popular in each particular part of the world. Hence, the English language word "football" is applied to "gridiron football," a name associated with American football and Canadian football, Australian rules football, Gaelic football, Rugby league, Rugby union and some related games. These variations are known as "codes".

If that wikipedia article was accurate re: the bolded, then why is it that the only places where association football is called soccer is the U.S., Samoa, and Canada?*

* Limiting "only places..." to countries with FIFa affiliates...
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Brewdomia wrote:American cause it requires more intelligence, you have to be aware at all times, and have the ability to be hit thousands of times over the course of a season.

Plus, American Football has some of the richest sports franchises in the world, and thats just one country.

You've never actually watched a football match, have you?
Married to Koshka

Upper North Yorkshire
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Upper North Yorkshire » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 pm

ThisIsNotACountry wrote:
Hydesland wrote:Image

^This.

brilliant!

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
ThisIsNotACountry wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

^This.

If that wikipedia article was accurate re: the bolded, then why is it that the only places where association football is called soccer is the U.S., Samoa, and Canada?*

Australia, Nauru, New Zealand can be added to that list of countries which refer to association football as soccer, predominantly.

Not sure about Nauru having a FIFa affiliate, it probably doesn't. Apparently it doesn't. Australia and New Zeeland do.
Last edited by South Norwega on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
ThisIsNotACountry wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

^This.

Got me, although again, according to Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_ ... ll#Oceania
Oceania

In Australian English, the word football usually means either Australian rules football or rugby league, depending on the regional background of the speaker. Rugby union, which is not as popular as rugby league in Australia, is also sometimes referred to as "football". Soccer is the name used for Association football by most Australians. The usage of football to mean Australian rules or rugby football was already well-established when the first reports of Association football in Australia occurred, in 1880.

Probably need more Aussies to come and comment on the linguistic stuff...

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:17 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
ThisIsNotACountry wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

^This.

Australia, Nauru, New Zealand can be added to that list of countries which refer to association football as soccer, predominantly.

Not sure about Nauru having a FIFa affiliate, it probably doesn't. Apparently it doesn't. Australia and New Zeeland do.

And officially association football is football in both countries...
Linky 1 & Linky 2
Mind you, since I have never been to either place, I cannot comment on what the locals call it in general conversation. Although since both changes are recent there's a very good chance that it is still referred to as "soccer"...
Married to Koshka

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
ThisIsNotACountry wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

^This.

And officially association football is football in both countries...
Linky 1 & Linky 2
Mind you, since I have never been to either place, I cannot comment on what the locals call it in general conversation. Although since both changes are recent there's a very good chance that it is still referred to as "soccer"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_ ... th_America
The sport's governing body is the United States Soccer Federation; however it was originally called the U.S. Football Association, and was formed in 1913 by the merger of the American Football Association and the American Amateur Football Association. The word "soccer" was added to the name in 1945, making it the U.S. Soccer Football Association, and it did not drop the word "football" until 1974, when it assumed its current name. In 2005 the Major League Soccer team Dallas Burn changed its name to Football Club Dallas. In 2009 Seattle Sounders FC also adopted the affix FC, although the words Football Club do not appear in its name.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Maurepas wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football#North_America
The sport's governing body is the United States Soccer Federation; however it was originally called the U.S. Football Association, and was formed in 1913 by the merger of the American Football Association and the American Amateur Football Association. The word "soccer" was added to the name in 1945, making it the U.S. Soccer Football Association, and it did not drop the word "football" until 1974, when it assumed its current name. In 2005 the Major League Soccer team Dallas Burn changed its name to Football Club Dallas. In 2009 Seattle Sounders FC also adopted the affix FC, although the words Football Club do not appear in its name.

My point was that the wikipedia article you linked to is misleading. "Football" does not automatically refer to "gridiron football" in English speaking countries. In some it does and in others it refers to association football...
Married to Koshka

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Maurepas wrote:Got me, although again, according to Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_ ... ll#Oceania
Oceania

In Australian English, the word football usually means either Australian rules football or rugby league, depending on the regional background of the speaker. Rugby union, which is not as popular as rugby league in Australia, is also sometimes referred to as "football". Soccer is the name used for Association football by most Australians. The usage of football to mean Australian rules or rugby football was already well-established when the first reports of Association football in Australia occurred, in 1880.

Probably need more Aussies to come and comment on the linguistic stuff...
Or do we? Football generally means Australian football, although in the more backwards parts of Australia (where they still play Rugby, for some reason) Rugby is occasionally referred to as Football. Although calling Australian Rules Football Football up there is getting prevalent, I think. Association football is only called football by the damned federation and annoying people who don't like Australian Rules Football.

Dyakovo wrote:And officially association football is football in both countries...
Linky 1 & Linky 2
People who call soccer football are generally viewed as annoying and pretentious here in Australia. Our team is still called the Socerroos, probably because Football doesn't fit in with that.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General