NATION

PASSWORD

Georgia's Move to Ban Abortion.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Georgia's Move to Ban Abortion.

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:33 am

Concurria wrote:No, I'm saying that because it's wrong it should be illegal in the majority of instances.

If it's not "wrong" why should it be illegal?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Concurria
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Concurria » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:43 am

Ryadn wrote:
Concurria wrote:As to your second point: How do you think these characteristics are determined? God-in-Heaven?

No. I think they are determined through genetic makeup, cell replication, womb conditions, and socialization. Gender is not predetermined in a single cell. Even sex is not predetermined, since conditions during gestation--an influx of certain hormones, for example--can alter development of sexual characteristics. As for capabilities--absolutely not. A single cell is capable of nothing. A mistake in cell replication, a problem during gestation, and what should have been a healthy, 'normal' infant months down the line will now be born with CP. Or will be miscarried. Or may not even become a person at all!

A year or so before I was born, my mother became pregnant, but did not have a child. She didn't miscarry; the fertilized egg--what you consider to be a human being--divided and multiplied many times, but it never became a person. It was just tissue. This is called a molar pregnancy. Now tell me--was it a boy or a girl growing in there? What color skin did that "baby" have?

Oof, that was a careless mistake, thank you.

What you said—about what occurs in the womb during the full period of gestation—still doesn't negate that, at the moment of conception, a lot has already happened. You haven't disproved that idea.

What color skin did that "baby" have

My mother, father, sister, and I consider the miscarried twin of my youngest sister to have been "human". If you continue to resort to these childish tactics, I'm going to stop. I realize we get snippy here but I demand to be taken seriously when it really gets down to it.
" I stopped being Pro-choice the day my baby turned 2. At the party, he turned to me, opened his mouth, and unleashed a stream of mucus and snot that I didn't know a baby was capable of. I was gonna murder the little bugger until I realized instantly that his youth didn't justify my anger. That's when I said that regardless of my perceived incapability as a mother, I am capable, 'cuz I do know better. "

Concurria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Concurria » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:51 am

Pray tell, how is cell-removal "killing [...] a pre-born human"?

Are you referring to the procedure? That's what it does. Unless you'd like to highlight a multitude of cases where that didn't happen—where the cell was preserved and grown to consciousness.

As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, spontaneous abortions are performed by the human body. Would that, too, count as "killing

A fetus dies in a spontaneous abortion but no single person killed it. A women is responsible for her choices where her conscience will allows her to be. Does she "choose" to activate her kidneys? Does she "choose" to beat her heart? Does she "choose" to sweat at the second mile mark? These aren't things she chooses and no one can blame a women whose lost a child.

It is cruel for you to suggest, too. I've been called the cruel one here but you are arguing, because you believe, that a woman is somehow responsible for her miscarriage. There are many mothers who have tried repeatedly to reproduce and cannot succeed—they aren't "killing" the thing just for the hell of it.

Abortion is a necessity. Accept it.

:lol: No it isn't.
" I stopped being Pro-choice the day my baby turned 2. At the party, he turned to me, opened his mouth, and unleashed a stream of mucus and snot that I didn't know a baby was capable of. I was gonna murder the little bugger until I realized instantly that his youth didn't justify my anger. That's when I said that regardless of my perceived incapability as a mother, I am capable, 'cuz I do know better. "

Concurria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Concurria » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:53 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Concurria wrote:
Poliwanacraca wrote:So what do you propose should be the sentence for these new "crimes" like getting sick from chemotherapy, catching a cold, losing one's job, overeating, smoking, saying mean things to people, having PMS, forgetting your partner's birthday, and so forth?

Your argument is weak. I didn't call any of these things bad. In fact, a lot of people didn't.

Catching a cold is good?
Losing your job is good?
Overeating is good?

To boost the immunity? Yes.
For your company as a whole? Most likely—assuming fair-play.
Is overeating bad? Well it certainly isn't good. That doesn't explain though all the people who do it. I suppose it isn't that simple is it?

Just playing devil's advocate.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:55 am

Concurria wrote:
As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, spontaneous abortions are performed by the human body. Would that, too, count as "killing

A fetus dies in a spontaneous abortion but no single person killed it. A women is responsible for her choices where her conscience will allows her to be. Does she "choose" to activate her kidneys? Does she "choose" to beat her heart? Does she "choose" to sweat at the second mile mark? These aren't things she chooses and no one can blame a women whose lost a child.

As has been pointed out before, a woman in western nations is fully capable of ensuring she is inside a hospital that can take care of a fertilised egg if the body decides to reject it. It can then e.g. be frozen.

So "letting it die" is a choice.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:07 am

Rabbits can eat their young on birth, plenty of animals partake in infanticide, there seems no objective absolute that 'choosing' to end the life of a baby, let alone a foetus exists.

So we're left with the fact that it's an arbitrary decision as to when we might allow this to occur. Given the balance between natural distaste for abortions and the utterly negative effects of banning it, one would think that a reasonable mind could accept the simple fact that it's deemed necessary, and is carried out regardless of legality, by a large amount of the population given gender, and not force by law to curtail the freedom of a woman to choose abortion, given it's generally a decision faced by her alone.

Her body can choose it, why can't she.

The only reason against provided so far is that 'it's wrong', in the opinion of some, fueled by emotion rather than actual results, negative emotions against positive results.

Any side discussion over the status of a foetus, the suitability of a parent, the event by which pregnancy occurred, is irrelevant.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:09 am

Concurria wrote:To boost the immunity? Yes.
For your company as a whole? Most likely—assuming fair-play.
Is overeating bad? Well it certainly isn't good. That doesn't explain though all the people who do it. I suppose it isn't that simple is it?

Just playing devil's advocate.

Since you skipped over it before...

Are you in favor of legalizing slavery, yes or no?
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Bagelalia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bagelalia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 am

I think that this is a good Idea.I think killing something before its born is worse than being murdered afterwords.Abortion doesn't even give it a chance to see the world,smile for the first time,or even know their mother. now doesnt this sound terrible? If you dont want it,this would give you a chance to let someone else have it without them needing to spend time in a foster home.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:45 am

Bagelalia wrote:I think that this is a good Idea.I think killing something before its born is worse than being murdered afterwords.Abortion doesn't even give it a chance to see the world,smile for the first time,or even know their mother. now doesnt this sound terrible? If you dont want it,this would give you a chance to let someone else have it without them needing to spend time in a foster home.

Right because there is a shortage of children waiting for adoption... :roll:
Married to Koshka

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:46 am

Bagelalia wrote:I think that this is a good Idea.I think killing something before its born is worse than being murdered afterwords.Abortion doesn't even give it a chance to see the world,smile for the first time,or even know their mother. now doesnt this sound terrible? If you dont want it,this would give you a chance to let someone else have it without them needing to spend time in a foster home.

A fetus doesn't have an absolute right to use the body of it's mother. It doesn't have the right to drain nutrients from her. Why should she be forced to let it use her body?
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:47 am

Dyakovo wrote:Right because there is a shortage of children waiting for adoption... :roll:

Come now, give Madonna and Angelina some time, honestly, some people have no patience.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:56 am

So can I fuck your sister ? After all, if I do not, there will be no chance of her conceiving my child. That child will then never get a chance to see the world, smile for the first time, or know its mother.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Elaborate Design
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Elaborate Design » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:01 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Dempublicents1 wrote:I think it's important to reiterate here that the law in question does not declare an embryo to be a full human person with all the rights therein, nor does it deal in any way with abortion. The fact that it is an attempt to take the law in that direction is pretty clear and disturbing, but it would be incorrect to say that these various issues are going to come up under current GA law.

No, it is being SAID it doesn't declare an embryo a full human person, etc - but it does grant them personhood, and rights and responsibilities to suit. Whether those rights are identical to yours or mine is kind of irrelevant - it grants a fertilised egg personhood and legal rights, which changes the status.

Does this mean they have to file taxes and get an insurance?

In the Netherlands, at least the second thing would be pretty much obligatory...

Elaborate Design
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elaborate Design » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:03 am

The Tofu Islands wrote:

A fetus doesn't have an absolute right to use the body of it's mother. It doesn't have the right to drain nutrients from her. Why should she be forced to let it use her body?

I think the word is "parasite". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite)

Pointed out by Bottle in a thread about a similar subject.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:06 am

The Tofu Islands wrote:A fetus doesn't have an absolute right to use the body of it's mother. It doesn't have the right to drain nutrients from her. Why should she be forced to let it use her body?

An 8 and a half month old baby doesn't have an absolute right to use the body of its mother. It doesn't have the right to drain nutrients from her. Why should she be forced to let it use her body?
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:07 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
The Tofu Islands wrote:A fetus doesn't have an absolute right to use the body of it's mother. It doesn't have the right to drain nutrients from her. Why should she be forced to let it use her body?

An 8 and a half month old baby doesn't have an absolute right to use the body of its mother. It doesn't have the right to drain nutrients from her. Why should she be forced to let it use her body?

She shouldn't.

She can have labor induced.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:08 am

Why should a disabled person with serious brain injuries be allowed to drain resources from the state?

Elaborate Design
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Elaborate Design » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:09 am

But ah!

Lo and behold: with legal abortion it would have been the mother's choice to let it do so!
Therefore, she would not be forced, and the slavery argument would be off the table.

Concurria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Concurria » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:10 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Concurria wrote:

As has been pointed out before, a woman in western nations is fully capable of ensuring she is inside a hospital that can take care of a fertilised egg if the body decides to reject it. It can then e.g. be frozen.

So "letting it die" is a choice.

That is a moot point. That technology has not been advanced. It'd also be the most expensive option of anything she could consider and the returns are simply not present to have a fertilized egg sit in cryostasis until your deathbed, with no hope of ever seeing it nourished back.

Dyakovo wrote:Are you in favor of legalizing slavery, yes or no?

I am not in favor of having slavery legalized.
Last edited by Concurria on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:11 am

If it's outside her body, it no longer directly drains nutrients from her by existing. If you're referring to a fetus 8 and a half months into pregnancy, then it doesn't and I still think abortion should be allowed at that stage (seeing as it pretty-much never happens at that point without good medical reasons).
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:14 am

Elaborate Design wrote:Lo and behold: with legal abortion it would have been the mother's choice to let it do so!
Therefore, she would not be forced, and the slavery argument would be off the table.

...? Thats... right? That was the point?

If abortion is illegal, the mother is essentially a slave, a very uncomfortable, possibly soon dead slave, to something that isn't even a person yet. So if abortion was legal... the mother would no longer be a slave to the parasite.

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 am

The Tofu Islands wrote:If it's outside her body, it no longer directly drains nutrients from her by existing. If you're referring to a fetus 8 and a half months into pregnancy, then it doesn't and I still think abortion should be allowed at that stage (seeing as it pretty-much never happens at that point without good medical reasons).

It can't happen at that point. An abortion at that stage is called force labor. The child is viable. That's where I currently draw my line: when is the child self-viable. I'm sure I'll change my mind when I have a kid, but until then...
Last edited by Enadail on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:17 am

Enadail wrote:
The Tofu Islands wrote:If it's outside her body, it no longer directly drains nutrients from her by existing. If you're referring to a fetus 8 and a half months into pregnancy, then it doesn't and I still think abortion should be allowed at that stage (seeing as it pretty-much never happens at that point without good medical reasons).

It can't happen at that point. An abortion at that stage is called force labor. The child is viable. That's where I currently draw my line: when is the child self-viable. I'm sure I'll change my mind when I have a kid, but until then...

I agree with this. Once the child can live outside the mother and have a chance at growing into a adult (even with extensive medical help), an abortion should not be available. At that point, it's forced labor.

Interestingly, this point of view also has the abortion line moving further back as medical technology advances.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:22 am

Enadail wrote:It can't happen at that point. An abortion at that stage is called force labor. The child is viable. That's where I currently draw my line: when is the child self-viable. I'm sure I'll change my mind when I have a kid, but until then...

*Looks up*
Sure, that's a reasonable way of solving it. Thank you. I was a bit hazy on when the point of viability came up, so I should've looked it up...
Last edited by The Tofu Islands on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:25 am

The Tofu Islands wrote:If it's outside her body, it no longer directly drains nutrients from her by existing.

Ever heard of breast milk?

The Tofu Islands wrote:If you're referring to a fetus 8 and a half months into pregnancy, then it doesn't and I still think abortion should be allowed at that stage (seeing as it pretty-much never happens at that point without good medical reasons).

But without good medical reasons, should it be allowed?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General