NATION

PASSWORD

My Vote Doesn't Matter

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Forever Indomitable
Envoy
 
Posts: 319
Founded: Jul 25, 2022
Anarchy

My Vote Doesn't Matter

Postby Forever Indomitable » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:15 pm

I was just wondering if there's anyone else who doesn't vote for whatever reason in their respective country.

In the US, there's this expression that gets thrown around: "Our democracy" and usually in the context of "X, Y or Z is a threat to our democracy". The thing is, though, if you're a cognitive minority in this country (or maybe in your country, too), you don't really get a say in how you're controlled. There's a "their" democracy for the privileged majorities, but in the idea of the marginalized having a voice, it doesn't exist. If you don't belong to 1 of the 2 parties that get everything here, you may as well cast your vote directly into the trash, because that's exactly what it's worth. And as far as trying to quantify which candidate or platform is marginally worse, I'd rather just abstain from "voting". Because being forced to choose who you'd rather get raped by is a fucking slap in the face and I'd rather just cross my arms than add insult to injury by wasting my time to go make the empty gesture of voting for someone that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.....but that's what it is to live in a society that values tyranny by majority as some kind of universal good.

So, that's why I don't vote. What about you?

User avatar
Orlesian States
Envoy
 
Posts: 222
Founded: Jun 09, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Orlesian States » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:19 pm

I'm not here to give my opinion on such matters, as well, I'm apolitical, but instead of the bloggy title, maybe you should name it "Do you vote? If not, why?" and have like a poll or something to give a little bit of interactivity with the post. I'm no 'post-master' but I think it would be a nice change, have a great day. :)
(Oh, cool flag too.)
Last edited by Orlesian States on Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Commonwealth of Orlesian States
"Orlesia Orates; The World Listens."
"Through the remnants of a shattered Empire, and the Emperor overthrown, the Commonwealth will rise."
Latest Reports from Ministry of Information - Francois S. D'Chautee has been named Sage of The Eternal Order; Commonwealth mobilizes the Royales' Brigade in an attempt to invade Legion territory; Orlesian Embassy construction temporarily halted; Investigation pending; Orlesian Solar Investigation Force engages with apparent 'hostiles' within the solar system;

User avatar
Sordhau
Minister
 
Posts: 2994
Founded: Nov 24, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sordhau » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:41 pm

I have literally no one to vote for. None of the candidates want to do what I want them to do, and even if they did they'd just end up getting the Allende treatment. Pursuing Socialism through the electoral system of a Liberal Democracy is about as effective as peacefully protesting against a Fascist regime. You end up eating a bullet either way.
| ☆ | ☭ | In Solidarity with the Peoples of Taiwan, Ukraine, and Armenia | In Opposition of the Imperialists in Beijing, Moscow, and Baku | ☭ | ☆ |

She/Her
Jennifer/Jenny
My Politics
About Me

User avatar
Forever Indomitable
Envoy
 
Posts: 319
Founded: Jul 25, 2022
Anarchy

Postby Forever Indomitable » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:12 pm

Orlesian States wrote:I'm not here to give my opinion on such matters, as well, I'm apolitical, but instead of the bloggy title, maybe you should name it "Do you vote? If not, why?" and have like a poll or something to give a little bit of interactivity with the post. I'm no 'post-master' but I think it would be a nice change, have a great day. :)
(Oh, cool flag too.)

Thanks for the suggestions and I'm glad you like my flag. The title is meant to make a point, the fact that those outside of the majority have no voice or influence on the social structures they're forced under. Maybe I'll make a poll.

Sordhau wrote:I have literally no one to vote for. None of the candidates want to do what I want them to do, and even if they did they'd just end up getting the Allende treatment. Pursuing Socialism through the electoral system of a Liberal Democracy is about as effective as peacefully protesting against a Fascist regime. You end up eating a bullet either way.

Right, but despite receiving fuck all of what we individually want, we still have to work, pay in to the system and abide by it.....while getting absolutely nothing in return. That's prisoner exploitation. "All men are created equal", bullshit, I have to pay taxes and go along with everyone's shit, while not being able to have any choice in what society decides for me. I don't get any compensation or special autonomy and my pursuit of happiness is directly impeded by some 331 million people. I personally wouldn't care if you wanted to form some official, semi-autonomous socialist city, but you know the majority won't tolerate anything outside the status quo. They just get everything they want and cast everyone else aside.

User avatar
Nilokeras
Minister
 
Posts: 2177
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:16 pm

'cognitive minority' is certainly a revealing term to describe yourself with

User avatar
Terminus Station
Envoy
 
Posts: 330
Founded: Jun 13, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Terminus Station » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:22 pm

Forever Indomitable wrote:I was just wondering if there's anyone else who doesn't vote for whatever reason in their respective country.

In the US, there's this expression that gets thrown around: "Our democracy" and usually in the context of "X, Y or Z is a threat to our democracy". The thing is, though, if you're a cognitive minority in this country (or maybe in your country, too), you don't really get a say in how you're controlled. There's a "their" democracy for the privileged majorities, but in the idea of the marginalized having a voice, it doesn't exist. If you don't belong to 1 of the 2 parties that get everything here, you may as well cast your vote directly into the trash, because that's exactly what it's worth. And as far as trying to quantify which candidate or platform is marginally worse, I'd rather just abstain from "voting". Because being forced to choose who you'd rather get raped by is a fucking slap in the face and I'd rather just cross my arms than add insult to injury by wasting my time to go make the empty gesture of voting for someone that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.....but that's what it is to live in a society that values tyranny by majority as some kind of universal good.

So, that's why I don't vote. What about you?

This is one of those privileged idiotic 1st world problems democratic countries have from time to time. You all think your 1 vote doesnt matter but you're more than willing to fight in a civil war to get what you want. You know whats a way to get what you want thats fair and doesnt necessitate violence? Voting in a democratic election.

Your 1 vote may mean very little but every other alternative is considerably worth even less. Remember that.

User avatar
Terminus Station
Envoy
 
Posts: 330
Founded: Jun 13, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Terminus Station » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:23 pm

Nilokeras wrote:'cognitive minority' is certainly a revealing term to describe yourself with

see? even the commie gets it.

User avatar
Republic Of Ludwigsburg
Diplomat
 
Posts: 766
Founded: Jun 26, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Republic Of Ludwigsburg » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:26 pm

There are other ways of participation. For example, media, responsibility etc.
Ludwigsburger Stock
SIS (State Industrial Stock)↑8.3%
LPS (Ludwigsburg Private Stock) ↓1.31%
LWU (Ludwigsburg Worker's Union) ↑15.3%
Pro: Social Democracy, EU, LGBTQ+ Rights, Labour Party, Ukraine
Anti: Fascism, State Capitalism, Stalinism, Tankies supporting Russia, Nazism
professional idiot
Friedrich Schonbrunn asks GDR to shove it
Politiscales: https://bit.ly/3tkNz5e
Asexual

User avatar
Mtwara
Envoy
 
Posts: 281
Founded: Aug 31, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mtwara » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:27 pm

Democracy is more than a single vote at national elections, it's the freedom to persuade, cajole and proselytyse people to your point of view. It's the opportunity to make more tangible change at the local level as well - do you pay attention to what your council/mayor/whatever is doing? It's the opportunity not just to vote, but to participate.

Even in small countries, one single vote won't count for a lot, but you can still make yourself heard and have an impact on your environment in other ways.
Last edited by Mtwara on Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

User avatar
Forever Indomitable
Envoy
 
Posts: 319
Founded: Jul 25, 2022
Anarchy

Postby Forever Indomitable » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:36 pm

Terminus Station wrote:
Forever Indomitable wrote:I was just wondering if there's anyone else who doesn't vote for whatever reason in their respective country.

In the US, there's this expression that gets thrown around: "Our democracy" and usually in the context of "X, Y or Z is a threat to our democracy". The thing is, though, if you're a cognitive minority in this country (or maybe in your country, too), you don't really get a say in how you're controlled. There's a "their" democracy for the privileged majorities, but in the idea of the marginalized having a voice, it doesn't exist. If you don't belong to 1 of the 2 parties that get everything here, you may as well cast your vote directly into the trash, because that's exactly what it's worth. And as far as trying to quantify which candidate or platform is marginally worse, I'd rather just abstain from "voting". Because being forced to choose who you'd rather get raped by is a fucking slap in the face and I'd rather just cross my arms than add insult to injury by wasting my time to go make the empty gesture of voting for someone that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.....but that's what it is to live in a society that values tyranny by majority as some kind of universal good.

So, that's why I don't vote. What about you?

This is one of those privileged idiotic 1st world problems democratic countries have from time to time. You all think your 1 vote doesnt matter but you're more than willing to fight in a civil war to get what you want. You know whats a way to get what you want thats fair and doesnt necessitate violence? Voting in a democratic election.

Your 1 vote may mean very little but every other alternative is considerably worth even less. Remember that.

I have no idea what you're talking about with civil war and I'm not advocating violence. What side would I even be on? I don't like either of them; that's the point. I and however many others aren't privileged enough to even have a side. I'm not going to be grateful for "it could be worse" because I'm already discontent enough and I don't get jack shit from voting, you do. You're in the majority. It's only fair for you and that's why you don't understand what it's like to be under everyone else's foot.

User avatar
Terminus Station
Envoy
 
Posts: 330
Founded: Jun 13, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Terminus Station » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:50 pm

Forever Indomitable wrote:
Terminus Station wrote:This is one of those privileged idiotic 1st world problems democratic countries have from time to time. You all think your 1 vote doesnt matter but you're more than willing to fight in a civil war to get what you want. You know whats a way to get what you want thats fair and doesnt necessitate violence? Voting in a democratic election.

Your 1 vote may mean very little but every other alternative is considerably worth even less. Remember that.

I have no idea what you're talking about with civil war and I'm not advocating violence. What side would I even be on? I don't like either of them; that's the point. I and however many others aren't privileged enough to even have a side. I'm not going to be grateful for "it could be worse" because I'm already discontent enough and I don't get jack shit from voting, you do. You're in the majority. It's only fair for you and that's why you don't understand what it's like to be under everyone else's foot.


And you've accidentally proven my point by using your free speech to tell me how oppressed you are. Go vote kid, its literally the best system we've come up with to negotiate with each other as a society. Or whine about how voting is useless, either way you've cast your ballot. But only 1 of them counts.
Last edited by Terminus Station on Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
American Legionaries
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6672
Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:02 am

Terminus Station wrote:
Forever Indomitable wrote:I was just wondering if there's anyone else who doesn't vote for whatever reason in their respective country.

In the US, there's this expression that gets thrown around: "Our democracy" and usually in the context of "X, Y or Z is a threat to our democracy". The thing is, though, if you're a cognitive minority in this country (or maybe in your country, too), you don't really get a say in how you're controlled. There's a "their" democracy for the privileged majorities, but in the idea of the marginalized having a voice, it doesn't exist. If you don't belong to 1 of the 2 parties that get everything here, you may as well cast your vote directly into the trash, because that's exactly what it's worth. And as far as trying to quantify which candidate or platform is marginally worse, I'd rather just abstain from "voting". Because being forced to choose who you'd rather get raped by is a fucking slap in the face and I'd rather just cross my arms than add insult to injury by wasting my time to go make the empty gesture of voting for someone that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.....but that's what it is to live in a society that values tyranny by majority as some kind of universal good.

So, that's why I don't vote. What about you?

This is one of those privileged idiotic 1st world problems democratic countries have from time to time. You all think your 1 vote doesnt matter but you're more than willing to fight in a civil war to get what you want. You know whats a way to get what you want thats fair and doesnt necessitate violence? Voting in a democratic election.

Your 1 vote may mean very little but every other alternative is considerably worth even less. Remember that.


But voting doesn't get me what I want. Because I'm not part of the majority party.

User avatar
Terminus Station
Envoy
 
Posts: 330
Founded: Jun 13, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Terminus Station » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:06 am

American Legionaries wrote:
Terminus Station wrote:This is one of those privileged idiotic 1st world problems democratic countries have from time to time. You all think your 1 vote doesnt matter but you're more than willing to fight in a civil war to get what you want. You know whats a way to get what you want thats fair and doesnt necessitate violence? Voting in a democratic election.

Your 1 vote may mean very little but every other alternative is considerably worth even less. Remember that.


But voting doesn't get me what I want. Because I'm not part of the majority party.


You can whine or you can vote, either way you've cast your ballot, but only one of those two options counts. Cast a useless vote or have an even more useless opinion, your choice. And I do mean useless vote, your vote is absolutely useless, what Im saying though is your opinion without voting is worth even less.

User avatar
American Legionaries
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6672
Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:07 am

Terminus Station wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:
But voting doesn't get me what I want. Because I'm not part of the majority party.


You can whine or you can vote, either way you've cast your ballot, but only one of those two options counts. Cast a useless vote or have an even more useless opinion, your choice. And I do mean useless vote, your vote is absolutely useless, what Im saying though is your opinion without voting is worth even less.


Nonsense, I am capable of doing things far more effectual than voting, motivated by that opinion.

User avatar
Cybus1
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5539
Founded: Jul 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Cybus1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:09 am

...OP, what, pray tell, is a cognitive minority? What do you mean when you say you want "compensation or special autonomy"?
You say you get nothing in return for the system, but you do. I assume you use roads? The postal system? If you live in a city or town, you pay for various things (I've never lived in a city, but I'm pretty sure the city handles the water, garbage, etc?). You just don't like your political choices. Neither do I, but I vote for the one which aligns with whatever I want, even if it's a fairly tangential connection.
Last edited by Cybus1 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't use NS stats, please refer to the factbooks. Terms to use: Cybus, Cybusian, The Infinite Cybusian Empire. Feel free to TG with suggestions, comments, feedback, questions, etc, especially about factbooks.
Regal and powerful; they carry an air about them that is inherently oppressive, the air of a trillion years of ancestry. -Kaedijork.
Great Gatsby, featuring some shape-shifting ability and more sci-fi elements. - Zitravgrad

Our Military
New Q&A!
News: / Sons of Mercer raid on foreign Human colony results in over 10,500 deaths or Consumptions in only two hours; dropships flee through Jaunt portal, escape. Imperial govt offers to assist investigation.

User avatar
Chan Island
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6678
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:13 am

This is a tragic post. Not only are you a victim of the first past the post electoral system (most democracies use WAY better methods to elect leaders), but you've also been convinced that that one vote is the sum total of democracy. When nothing could be further from the truth. Democracy absolutely entails elections, but it's also about the individual rights that are afforded to you by default as a citizen of the democracy- rights like free speech, free assembly, free thought.

It's "our" democracy because you (as well as everyone else) are a citizen with those enumerated rights as well as the right to vote in elections. If voting isn't helping you, then you are free to pursue those other avenues for forcing change. Join a pressure group. Or join a political party that does support what you want and put in the legwork and hard hours that it takes to get someone elected. And if none exist, start your own, it's easier than you'd think. Or get involved in media and fight the war of words on the electronic waves. Go on protests- even if just by yourself.

Or continue to end the story with not voting. I'm sure the "cognitive majority" will be delighted to define the "universal good" without you. That's a part of democracy too- if you want something, you need to convince people to support your ideas in order to get it. This is the business of power, not a handholding nursery. Lots of people are happy to do it for you if you don't want to participate.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Terminus Station
Envoy
 
Posts: 330
Founded: Jun 13, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Terminus Station » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:14 am

American Legionaries wrote:
Terminus Station wrote:
You can whine or you can vote, either way you've cast your ballot, but only one of those two options counts. Cast a useless vote or have an even more useless opinion, your choice. And I do mean useless vote, your vote is absolutely useless, what Im saying though is your opinion without voting is worth even less.


Nonsense, I am capable of doing things far more effectual than voting, motivated by that opinion.

:rofl:

My majority vote beats your non-voting option.

Chan Island wrote:This is a tragic post. Not only are you a victim of the first past the post electoral system (most democracies use WAY better methods to elect leaders), but you've also been convinced that that one vote is the sum total of democracy. When nothing could be further from the truth. Democracy absolutely entails elections, but it's also about the individual rights that are afforded to you by default as a citizen of the democracy- rights like free speech, free assembly, free thought.

It's "our" democracy because you (as well as everyone else) are a citizen with those enumerated rights as well as the right to vote in elections. If voting isn't helping you, then you are free to pursue those other avenues for forcing change. Join a pressure group. Or join a political party that does support what you want and put in the legwork and hard hours that it takes to get someone elected. And if none exist, start your own, it's easier than you'd think. Or get involved in media and fight the war of words on the electronic waves. Go on protests- even if just by yourself.

Or continue to end the story with not voting. I'm sure the "cognitive majority" will be delighted to define the "universal good" without you. That's a part of democracy too- if you want something, you need to convince people to support your ideas in order to get it. This is the business of power, not a handholding nursery. Lots of people are happy to do it for you if you don't want to participate.


Couldnt have said it better myself. Useless votes are useless until they aren't, but they'll never get there if you don't actually do it.
Last edited by Terminus Station on Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samrif
Secretary
 
Posts: 27
Founded: Apr 13, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Samrif » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:16 am

I think you all are missing the point of democracy. Democracy doesn't end at voting during the elections. For democracy to work you require freedom of speech and freedom to protest. These two rights are fundamental in a democracy and by applying these two rights if a majority of the population call for change and go out into the streets, some level of change is bound to occur. Either the party in power cleans up their act and does what the people want it to do or risk losing the next elections OR another party takes advantage and fulfils the demand of the people, thus getting voted into power. But yes you are right in a way - democracy largely doesn't care for the individual. It is only when a large number of people group together and protest for change does real change take place.

User avatar
American Legionaries
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6672
Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:18 am

Terminus Station wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:
Nonsense, I am capable of doing things far more effectual than voting, motivated by that opinion.

:rofl:

My majority vote beats your non-voting option.


For the time being, yes.

User avatar
Nevertopia
Minister
 
Posts: 3043
Founded: May 27, 2020
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Nevertopia » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:29 am

American Legionaries wrote:
Terminus Station wrote: :rofl:

My majority vote beats your non-voting option.


For the time being, yes.


Voting will always beat not voting, thats how democracy works. If you're not participating in the system no matter how insignificant you are, you're giving yourself even less of a voice than if you became politically activated and applied yourself to the democratic process by advocating your views and convincing others to vote likewise. Thats how this works, you speak, you rally, you vote and through the mediums of free speech and protest, a free society is able to negotiate with itself in what it believes is best for the group. Its not about how useless your vote is, its participating in that negotiation and seeing how receptive the rest of society is to your views. Maybe the reason your vote is useless is because you voted for the wrong thing? Thats also a possibility, and thats part of the process. Useless things get discarded for better ideas. If your beliefs are worth merit then your vote isnt useless and holds true with the rest of the population.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

User avatar
Allinburg
Diplomat
 
Posts: 814
Founded: Feb 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Allinburg » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:30 am

I had a conversation like this with my dad and some of his cousins one time.

He said that because my country isn't a true democracy (read: the establishment and familial politics), his vote won't and will never count. One of his cousins countered that argument by saying that is does matter because you're exercising your socially acceptable rights and that it shows that you do indeed care for your nation.

You may be useless to the eyes of many, but having an honest voice is better than having no voice at all.

Even when the system is fundamentally on the brink. And rest assured there's a friend or many that will agree on the same.

Use your rights and vote for whoever you damn please, and keep doing your other civic duties on-and-offline while you're at it, because a citizen exists not only to write papers but to serve their community with the community.


Samrif wrote:I think you all are missing the point of democracy. Democracy doesn't end at voting during the elections. For democracy to work you require freedom of speech and freedom to protest. These two rights are fundamental in a democracy and by applying these two rights if a majority of the population call for change and go out into the streets, some level of change is bound to occur. Either the party in power cleans up their act and does what the people want it to do or risk losing the next elections OR another party takes advantage and fulfils the demand of the people, thus getting voted into power. But yes you are right in a way - democracy largely doesn't care for the individual. It is only when a large number of people group together and protest for change does real change take place.

Hear, hear!
Last edited by Allinburg on Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
AllinburgAllinea
ICWIPDispatchesNewsNS-Statsどこ? ☄
OOC ‣ ♂️/they・gazer of stars, machines and anatomies ;)・no unsolicited TGs・AttributionMore
To the west-northwest
A thousand light-years on
Science works better than signs

User avatar
American Legionaries
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6672
Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:32 am

Nevertopia wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:
For the time being, yes.


Voting will always beat not voting, thats how democracy works. If you're not participating in the system no matter how insignificant you are, you're giving yourself even less of a voice than if you became politically activated and applied yourself to the democratic process by advocating your views and convincing others to vote likewise. Thats how this works, you speak, you rally, you vote and through the mediums of free speech and protest, a free society is able to negotiate with itself in what it believes is best for the group. Its not about how useless your vote is, its participating in that negotiation and seeing how receptive the rest of society is to your views. Maybe the reason your vote is useless is because you voted for the wrong thing? Thats also a possibility, and thats part of the process. Useless things get discarded for better ideas. If your beliefs are worth merit then your vote isnt useless and holds true with the rest of the population.


Yes, that is how democracy works. But why work within a system that ensures I have no expectation of success, when I can instead undermine that system and hopefully cause it's collapse?

User avatar
Cybus1
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5539
Founded: Jul 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Cybus1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:32 am

American Legionaries wrote:
Terminus Station wrote: :rofl:

My majority vote beats your non-voting option.


For the time being, yes.

How vaguely ominous. What are you gonna do, orchestrate a coup of fellow non-voters, and then oppress the majority?
I don't use NS stats, please refer to the factbooks. Terms to use: Cybus, Cybusian, The Infinite Cybusian Empire. Feel free to TG with suggestions, comments, feedback, questions, etc, especially about factbooks.
Regal and powerful; they carry an air about them that is inherently oppressive, the air of a trillion years of ancestry. -Kaedijork.
Great Gatsby, featuring some shape-shifting ability and more sci-fi elements. - Zitravgrad

Our Military
New Q&A!
News: / Sons of Mercer raid on foreign Human colony results in over 10,500 deaths or Consumptions in only two hours; dropships flee through Jaunt portal, escape. Imperial govt offers to assist investigation.

User avatar
Cybus1
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5539
Founded: Jul 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Cybus1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:36 am

American Legionaries wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:
Voting will always beat not voting, thats how democracy works. If you're not participating in the system no matter how insignificant you are, you're giving yourself even less of a voice than if you became politically activated and applied yourself to the democratic process by advocating your views and convincing others to vote likewise. Thats how this works, you speak, you rally, you vote and through the mediums of free speech and protest, a free society is able to negotiate with itself in what it believes is best for the group. Its not about how useless your vote is, its participating in that negotiation and seeing how receptive the rest of society is to your views. Maybe the reason your vote is useless is because you voted for the wrong thing? Thats also a possibility, and thats part of the process. Useless things get discarded for better ideas. If your beliefs are worth merit then your vote isnt useless and holds true with the rest of the population.


Yes, that is how democracy works. But why work within a system that ensures I have no expectation of success, when I can instead undermine that system and hopefully cause it's collapse?

What system would ensure your chances of success? What exactly do you want that you cannot get?
I don't use NS stats, please refer to the factbooks. Terms to use: Cybus, Cybusian, The Infinite Cybusian Empire. Feel free to TG with suggestions, comments, feedback, questions, etc, especially about factbooks.
Regal and powerful; they carry an air about them that is inherently oppressive, the air of a trillion years of ancestry. -Kaedijork.
Great Gatsby, featuring some shape-shifting ability and more sci-fi elements. - Zitravgrad

Our Military
New Q&A!
News: / Sons of Mercer raid on foreign Human colony results in over 10,500 deaths or Consumptions in only two hours; dropships flee through Jaunt portal, escape. Imperial govt offers to assist investigation.

User avatar
Nevertopia
Minister
 
Posts: 3043
Founded: May 27, 2020
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Nevertopia » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:36 am

American Legionaries wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:
Voting will always beat not voting, thats how democracy works. If you're not participating in the system no matter how insignificant you are, you're giving yourself even less of a voice than if you became politically activated and applied yourself to the democratic process by advocating your views and convincing others to vote likewise. Thats how this works, you speak, you rally, you vote and through the mediums of free speech and protest, a free society is able to negotiate with itself in what it believes is best for the group. Its not about how useless your vote is, its participating in that negotiation and seeing how receptive the rest of society is to your views. Maybe the reason your vote is useless is because you voted for the wrong thing? Thats also a possibility, and thats part of the process. Useless things get discarded for better ideas. If your beliefs are worth merit then your vote isnt useless and holds true with the rest of the population.


Yes, that is how democracy works. But why work within a system that ensures I have no expectation of success, when I can instead undermine that system and hopefully cause it's collapse?


In a democratic society, if your political beliefs hold no merit then its the responsibility of the collective to decide for itself that it doesn't belong. Thats a good thing, bad ideas should be rejected. Maybe reflect on your political beliefs and see where you may have gotten it wrong. For example undermining democracy because you can't get what you want is a political belief that has no merit and should be rejected.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alcala-Cordel, Civia Welephilostopia, Google [Bot], Lord Dominator, Neanderthaland, Perikuresu, Prima Scriptura, Roneni, Senkaku, Tarrawarra, The Proud Transphobe

Advertisement

Remove ads