NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Posters and the Military

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: NSG Posters and the Military

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 am

Cabra West wrote:

I dislike the notion of killing people when ordered by governments.
And I cannot understand the kind of people who volunteer to do this.

Yes, I know, not everybody who joins the military will get to kill someone, and sure, they do help out when there's natural catastrophes and the like. But that doesn't change the fact that governments keep a military for violence and killing. They don't keep them so that they've always have people to carry sandbags when there's a flood.

there is also the "keep other people from commiting violence and killing against the citizens of the country" option as well.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:21 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Yes, I know, not everybody who joins the military will get to kill someone, and sure, they do help out when there's natural catastrophes and the like. But that doesn't change the fact that governments keep a military for violence and killing. They don't keep them so that they've always have people to carry sandbags when there's a flood.

there is also the "keep other people from commiting violence and killing against the citizens of the country" option as well.

I knew that would come up... there are however very, very few countries on the planet that have a military expressedly for defense purposes. And they're getting fewer by the day, what with Germany recently deciding it's ok to use their soldiers in wars of aggression again.
So unless the people we're talking about here are only in armies that aren't allowed to start any wars, this argument doesn't hold water.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:21 am

Conserative Morality wrote:I (Obviously) haven't been in the military yet, but I'm planning on joining the Army.

Not the question asked, i would say the same thing, but it would make me look like a tosser.
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:23 am

Cabra West wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

I knew that would come up... there are however very, very few countries on the planet that have a military expressedly for defense purposes. And they're getting fewer by the day, what with Germany recently deciding it's ok to use their soldiers in wars of aggression again.
So unless the people we're talking about here are only in armies that aren't allowed to start any wars, this argument doesn't hold water.

neither does the "bloodthirsty warmonger" argument hold water
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:27 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Never said that. All I said is that people joining the military must be willing to at one point or another kill another human being, when being told to.
And that mindset is beyond me.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Manapraava
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manapraava » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:28 am

If it makes any difference, 'Cryptologic Linguist' would be code words for 'get ready to listen to a HELL of a lot of radio traffic that may or may not be military related, and have fun deciphering it'. Some people I know enjoy it, some people I know have gone a little weird by it. Every CT I've known has been a little looney. Every. Single. One.
Can't say much about the Bradleys, beyond the fact they have a rather interesting gun weapon system. We use a very slightly modified version of it on the ship.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:04 am

Cabra West wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Never said that. All I said is that people joining the military must be willing to at one point or another kill another human being, when being told to.
And that mindset is beyond me.

Fair enough.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General