NATION

PASSWORD

TET:TET

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:29 am

Geneviev wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Google Translate is hilarious.

Google Translate always tries to translate my name. It's somewhat entertaining.

Oh boy. It's also probably always telling you that it's spelled wrong too.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Google Translate always tries to translate my name. It's somewhat entertaining.

Oh boy. It's also probably always telling you that it's spelled wrong too.

Yes. Google Translate is culturally insensitive.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:32 am

Geneviev wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Oh boy. It's also probably always telling you that it's spelled wrong too.

Yes. Google Translate is culturally insensitive.

Surprisingly. Google Docs used to say my name was spelled wrong, when it wasn't.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:32 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Yes. Google Translate is culturally insensitive.

Surprisingly. Google Docs used to say my name was spelled wrong, when it wasn't.

Rude Google.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:32 am

Lordieth wrote:Cruel

Depends on where you're standing.

and unusual.

You got me there.
Last edited by The Holy Therns on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 am

Geneviev wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Surprisingly. Google Docs used to say my name was spelled wrong, when it wasn't.

Rude Google.

And creepy too, if you ask me.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Rude Google.

And creepy too, if you ask me.

So pretty much Google is Google.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 am

Geneviev wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:And creepy too, if you ask me.

Embrace Lord Google.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Potato
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 10, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Potato » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am

hello I'd like to order a water with extra whipped cream
_%%%%%___%%%%__%%%%%__%%%%__%%%%%___%%%%__
_%%__%%__%%__%%___%%____%%__%%___%%_____%%__%%_
_%%%%%__%%__%%___%%____%%%%%____%%____%%___%%_
_%%_______%%__%%___%%____%%__%%____%%____%%__%%_
_%%________%%%%____%%____%%__%%____%%_____%%%%__

Audioslavia wrote:If someone wilfully steers it back towards 'yeah but what if a methodist dude does a sunni dude for four seconds on a Tuesday in spring what then is that bad?" then let us know
Proctopeo wrote:it's like when voldemort ate hitler's soul to become darth vader 2
Ifreann wrote:FEMINISM DESTROYED
The Archregimancy wrote:If any former members of the 1919-1945 Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei post in Moderation to complain that they're being trolled, I'll revisit this; but I suspect that they're a fairly small demographic within our forums.
Audioslavia wrote:We unfortunately don't banhammer people for being catastrophically smug.
Hello, I love you! Yes, you! You're a great human, keep going!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:52 am

Geneviev wrote:

Yeah.
The South Falls wrote:
Geneviev wrote:So pretty much Google is Google.

Embrace Lord Google.

NEVER!
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:53 am

Speaking about Google Translate, it is somehow amazingly accurate with Burmese. Not perfect, but I'm impressed.

I want to go home. Leave me alone. -> ငါအိမ်ပြန်ချင်တယ်။ ငါတစ်ယောက်တည်းနေပါရစေ။ Which is actually word by word dead-on!

This one?

I would kiss you, but I will not. -> ငါသည်သင်တို့ကိုနမ်းပါ, ဒါပေမယ့်ငါမသွားဘူး။ This... doesn't make sense. At all.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 am

Valentine Z wrote:Speaking about Google Translate, it is somehow amazingly accurate with Burmese. Not perfect, but I'm impressed.

I want to go home. Leave me alone. -> ငါအိမ်ပြန်ချင်တယ်။ ငါတစ်ယောက်တည်းနေပါရစေ။ Which is actually word by word dead-on!

This one?

I would kiss you, but I will not. -> ငါသည်သင်တို့ကိုနမ်းပါ, ဒါပေမယ့်ငါမသွားဘူး။ This... doesn't make sense. At all.

I think writing the language might be the problem.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 am

Valentine Z wrote:Speaking about Google Translate, it is somehow amazingly accurate with Burmese. Not perfect, but I'm impressed.

This one?

Wait. It can be accurate?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am

This one?

I wish I could understand. I'll just trust you.

How does Google Translate get Burmese and not German?

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

This one?

It's fine with one translation, but more than that...

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am

The South Falls wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Wait. It can be accurate?

It's fine with one translation, but more than that...

And that's when it falls apart?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The South Falls wrote:It's fine with one translation, but more than that...

And that's when it falls apart?

It crumbles like a weak cookie.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

This one?

A few translations are fine, and formal even. Ok, the use of ငါ isn't exactly polite in front of your elders, but still...

And knowing that Burmese has a crapton of slangs and street-talk... Mr. Google Translate is going to be in trouble. :P

Geneviev wrote:I wish I could understand. I'll just trust you.

That's one of those mysteries of life. I actually expect Eng <-> Burmese to perform extremely horribly.

EDIT: Fun fact - the second Burmese phrase translated back to "I will kiss ALL of you, but I will not go."
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:04 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:And that's when it falls apart?

It crumbles like a weak cookie.

I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Valentine Z wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Wait. It can be accurate?

A few translations are fine, and formal even. Ok, the use of ငါ isn't exactly polite in front of your elders, but still...

And knowing that Burmese has a crapton of slangs and street-talk... Mr. Google Translate is going to be in trouble. :P

That's one of those mysteries of life. I actually expect Eng <-> Burmese to perform extremely horribly.

It probably will.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:

It knows all your search history.

Exactly. It also tracks your location.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Valentine Z wrote:

EDIT: Fun fact - the second Burmese phrase translated back to "I will kiss ALL of you, but I will not go."

I tried to translate something about myself into English from German and it sounded like a summary of a horror movie. It was very entertaining.

That is something I will find the opportunity to say sometime. :rofl:

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Exactly. It also tracks your location.

I'm pretty sure 100% of aspiring politicians are screwed. :p

Quite possibly.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Potato
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 10, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Potato » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm

did yall know the solution to cancer is pepto bismal
_%%%%%___%%%%__%%%%%__%%%%__%%%%%___%%%%__
_%%__%%__%%__%%___%%____%%__%%___%%_____%%__%%_
_%%%%%__%%__%%___%%____%%%%%____%%____%%___%%_
_%%_______%%__%%___%%____%%__%%____%%____%%__%%_
_%%________%%%%____%%____%%__%%____%%_____%%%%__

Audioslavia wrote:If someone wilfully steers it back towards 'yeah but what if a methodist dude does a sunni dude for four seconds on a Tuesday in spring what then is that bad?" then let us know
Proctopeo wrote:it's like when voldemort ate hitler's soul to become darth vader 2
Ifreann wrote:FEMINISM DESTROYED
The Archregimancy wrote:If any former members of the 1919-1945 Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei post in Moderation to complain that they're being trolled, I'll revisit this; but I suspect that they're a fairly small demographic within our forums.
Audioslavia wrote:We unfortunately don't banhammer people for being catastrophically smug.
Hello, I love you! Yes, you! You're a great human, keep going!

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Oooh, one more, one more! Before I hit the hay. :P

English: I am Valentine. Hello, TET!

Burmese (Translated): ငါချစ်သူများနေ့ဖြစ်၏။ Tet မင်္ဂလာပါ!

Translated back: I am Valentine's Day. TET hello!

Potato wrote:did yall know the solution to cancer is pepto bismal

I think that was when you have an alien inside of you.
"Water, my ass!"
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Potato wrote:did yall know the solution to cancer is pepto bismal

I know crops require fertiliser, but do you really want to commit so thoroughly to the shitposting trope?
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
My TG box is for friends, not food
Feel like making a direct change rather than just bickering over crises?
Help give orphaned children a safe environment to grow
Combat Homelessness

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General