NATION

PASSWORD

Any major US news outlets take a pro-pali stance?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:55 am

Soheran wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:However, they then don't report Hamas' misdoings, or those of Hezbollah, or other extremists.

The US media does not report every last bad thing the Taliban does in the same way they report on casualties from US bombings. Do you think this is because the US media is actually secretly on the side of the Taliban? Do you really want the media to think of the actions of the Israeli government in the same terms that they think about the actions of Hamas?

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to the substantive issues of the conflict, the US public is for a number of cultural and historical reasons decidedly aligned with Israel, and there is every reason to suspect that this carries through to the US media. Not necessarily in a grievously biased way, but probably, for instance, in who reporters empathize most with and expect their audience to empathize with.

And by failing to report the ills of the Taliban (and, in the case of Israel, Hamas and Hezbollah), the media skews public opinion against the Israelis far more than the situation warrants.

Also, by reporting each and every bad thing that the Israeli government does (and ignoring the things their enemies do), the media makes their preference clear: they want Israel to be the bad guys, and Hamas and Hezbollah to be the "plucky freedom fighters". It sells more ratings, after all.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 am

Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Why would anyone take the side of a terrorist organization with a puppet government?

Because they're a US Ally. Wait, which side were we talking about? :?

The one that ruins every chance they get at creating a free and independent state by launching rockets at civilians from the safety of mosques perhaps? Coincidentally enough, its the same one that stages fake press videos with the intention of garnering world sympathy.

How about taking children as human shields and using a banned substance, white phosphorous, t take revenge for minor damage?

I have said it hundreds of times, there are no civilians in a war zone.

So it would be alright to rape, beat or kill your kids if we ever manage to invade the US? Cool!

Feel free to try. Here in the south a foreign army would be lucky to even make it a few yards without opposition.

Since there are no civilians in warfare we would most probably carpet bomb the lot of you or take out your food/water supplies.

Like I said, feel free to try. Geographically and economically, that would be nearly impossible for you. Most domestic food production takes place in the middle of the nation.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Karsol
Senator

Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:59 am

Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Why would anyone take the side of a terrorist organization with a puppet government?

The one that ruins every chance they get at creating a free and independent state by launching rockets at civilians from the safety of mosques perhaps? Coincidentally enough, its the same one that stages fake press videos with the intention of garnering world sympathy.

How about taking children as human shields and using a banned substance, white phosphorous, t take revenge for minor damage?

So it would be alright to rape, beat or kill your kids if we ever manage to invade the US? Cool!

Feel free to try. Here in the south a foreign army would be lucky to even make it a few yards without opposition.

Since there are no civilians in warfare we would most probably carpet bomb the lot of you or take out your food/water supplies.

Like I said, feel free to try. Geographically and economically, that would be nearly impossible for you. Most domestic food production takes place in the middle of the nation.

Which isn't in the south, so it would be easily invaded according to you. :p
01010000 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110011 00100001 00100001 00100001
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 am

Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

The US military is comprised largely of southerners. You are going to be pretty hard pressed to find an area that won't be well protected. Vermont perhaps?
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 am

Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

So in short, 'might makes right'?
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:08 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Not a philosophy I like. But then, I'm surprised that Parthenon and I are on the same "side" in this. I deplore the vicious treatment of Israel by the American media, especially since 2006 or so.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:08 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

And he also conveniently ignored the part where Al'Qaeda declared war on the U.S. so by his definitions 9/11 would be a legitimate military strike.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:09 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Without question. When the teacher has a gun two plus two is certainly three...
Last edited by Parthenon on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

Karsol
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:09 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Not a philosophy I like. But then, I'm surprised that Parthenon and I are on the same "side" in this. I deplore the vicious treatment of Israel by the American media, especially since 2006 or so.

Most media seem to be on the side of israel, even if they are similar in action and political persuasion as the Hamas terrorists.

Your political compass

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:09 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

And why would Israel give a shit what American media thinks when the American government has been giving them a blank check to do whatever the fuck they want since God knows when?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:10 am

Karsol wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Most media seem to be on the side of israel, even if they are similar in action and political persuasion as the Hamas terrorists.

Karsol, that makes no sense. Are you trying to say that Israel = Hamas or that media = Hamas?

Karsol
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Karsol » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:12 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Karsol, that makes no sense. Are you trying to say that Israel = Hamas or that media = Hamas?

Israel = Hamas...or at least share common ground.

Your political compass

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:21 am

Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Without question. When the teacher has a gun two plus two is certainly three...

You know who disagrees with you? Jesus.
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Soheran
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Soheran » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am

New Chalcedon wrote:Also, by reporting each and every bad thing that the Israeli government does (and ignoring the things their enemies do), the media makes their preference clear: they want Israel to be the bad guys, and Hamas and Hezbollah to be the "plucky freedom fighters". It sells more ratings, after all.

"[P]lucky freedom fighters" like the Taliban?

Have you considered that the media talks about Israeli government misdeeds in a different way from Hamas misdeeds because they accept it as a given that Hamas is a terrorist organization that has proven willing to indiscriminately slaughter civilians, and Israel (most of the time) is not?

Do you ever wonder if there might be a more plausible theory than the notion that advancing a biased, partisan view strongly contrary to the perceptions of a US audience and the US government actually does improve their popularity?

In the context of the US media's apparent hotbed of anti-Israel sentiment, what do you make of, say, Congress's repeated near-unanimous recitations of pro-Israel policy statements whenever a crisis happens? Is the US public just really really good at resisting propaganda (in a way that it entirely fails to express with respect to, say, health care reform)?

Partisans on both sides of this conflict need to stop seeing bias in all reporting that does not reflect their particular bias as intensely as they would like.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am

I think the BBC, as neutral as it is, is definitely not shy of broadcasting harshly critical reports on Israel at all.

edit: whoops didn't read the title properly.
Last edited by Hydesland on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

KenKenpachi
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby KenKenpachi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46 am

Al Jazeera, airs in parts of the US, has an english office, mainly in areas where its in demand however.
MAKE WAR NOT LOVE
"Sanity? I don't remember having such a thing to begin with." ""Sanity? Worthless things like that, I would not have as long as I can remember."

"Nation States General board. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Soheran wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:Also, by reporting each and every bad thing that the Israeli government does (and ignoring the things their enemies do), the media makes their preference clear: they want Israel to be the bad guys, and Hamas and Hezbollah to be the "plucky freedom fighters". It sells more ratings, after all.

"[P]lucky freedom fighters" like the Taliban?

Have you considered that the media talks about Israeli government misdeeds in a different way from Hamas misdeeds because they accept it as a given that Hamas is a terrorist organization that has proven willing to indiscriminately slaughter civilians, and Israel (most of the time) is not?

Do you ever wonder if there might be a more plausible theory than the notion that advancing a biased, partisan view strongly contrary to the perceptions of a US audience and the US government actually does improve their popularity?

In the context of the US media's apparent hotbed of anti-Israel sentiment, what do you make of, say, Congress's repeated near-unanimous recitations of pro-Israel policy statements whenever a crisis happens? Is the US public just really really good at resisting propaganda (in a way that it entirely fails to express with respect to, say, health care reform)?

Partisans on both sides of this conflict need to stop seeing bias in all reporting that does not reflect their particular bias as intensely as they would like.

No, I don't think that Americans are somehow magically resistant to propaganda. However, I also note AIPAC's influence within Congress, as well as the various hostile responses - on university grounds, for instance - to the very mention of Israel. Having studied at American universities for part of my degree, I can recall quite clearly the posters all over campus extolling the "resistance fighters" of Hamas against the "genocidal jackboot" of Israel.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:18 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:Having studied at American universities for part of my degree, I can recall quite clearly the posters all over campus extolling the "resistance fighters" of Hamas against the "genocidal jackboot" of Israel.

ah, if only the prevalence of posters reflected a prevalence of views and activism, let alone political power. tibet would be free and the wolves would be overpopulated.

New Manvir
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Manvir » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:24 pm

I thought you forgot an "N" and meant "Palin".
I am from Canada | I'm some kind of Socialist | And also Batman
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth." - Lucy Parsons
Socialism is an economic system characterised by social ownership of the means of production and co-operative management of the economy. "Social ownership" may refer to cooperative enterprises, common ownership, state ownership, citizen ownership of equity, or any combination of these. There are many varieties of socialism and there is no single definition encapsulating all of them. They differ in the type of social ownership they advocate, the degree to which they rely on markets or planning, how management is to be organised within productive institutions, and the role of the state in constructing socialism.

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

The US military is comprised largely of southerners. You are going to be pretty hard pressed to find an area that won't be well protected. Vermont perhaps?

Good luck with that. We're as gun crazy in Vermont as you are in the south. Try Massachusetts or New York.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:07 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:No, I don't think that Americans are somehow magically resistant to propaganda. However, I also note AIPAC's influence within Congress, as well as the various hostile responses - on university grounds, for instance - to the very mention of Israel. Having studied at American universities for part of my degree, I can recall quite clearly the posters all over campus extolling the "resistance fighters" of Hamas against the "genocidal jackboot" of Israel.

Until the attitudes and protests of ordinary people and even media can actually affect the decisions of those in power, then in the overall picture it's irrelevant. No matter what people think of Israel, reality is the United States government gives Israel a blank check to do whatever it pleases.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Gauthier wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:No, I don't think that Americans are somehow magically resistant to propaganda. However, I also note AIPAC's influence within Congress, as well as the various hostile responses - on university grounds, for instance - to the very mention of Israel. Having studied at American universities for part of my degree, I can recall quite clearly the posters all over campus extolling the "resistance fighters" of Hamas against the "genocidal jackboot" of Israel.

Until the attitudes and protests of ordinary people and even media can actually affect the decisions of those in power, then in the overall picture it's irrelevant. No matter what people think of Israel, reality is the United States government gives Israel a blank check to do whatever it pleases.

Which has little to nothing to do with the question as asked.

Q: Do any major US news outlets take a pro-palestinian stance?

My A: Yes, if only by routine omission of the crimes of the various Palestinian terrorist organisations, whilst scrupulously reporting everything bad Israel does.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:36 pm

Parthenon wrote:
Karsol wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

So you've been wrong a hundred times. Is that supposed to impress us?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Dyakovo wrote:So you've been wrong a hundred times. Is that supposed to impress us?

Note how quiet he gets in regards to using that statement as being able to justify 9/11 on behalf of Al'Qaeda.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:Which has little to nothing to do with the question as asked.

Q: Do any major US news outlets take a pro-palestinian stance?

My A: Yes, if only by routine omission of the crimes of the various Palestinian terrorist organisations, whilst scrupulously reporting everything bad Israel does.

Or rather, they don't mention it because it falls under "No Shit Sherlock." Pointing out everything fucked up Hamas does isn't going to change anyone's opinion on them. Either preaching to the choir or falling on deaf ears. On the other hand, Israel constantly claims to be the sole democracy in the Middle East so when they do something that's rather undemocratic of course it's going to be pointed out.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General