NATION

PASSWORD

TET: Pusheen The Envelope

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:33 am

The Lacedaemonians wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:The Old Testament is a bit of a mess, and that is putting it mildly. Keep in mind that the Old Testament was compiled from a collection of Babylonian mythology, mutilated historical accounts and poetry over the course of centuries.

So why keep it? Why not just junk it?

Soldati senza confini wrote:Also, Lot technically didn't impregnate them willingly, if you read Lot's story more carefully. Rather, by today's standards, his daughters pretty much raped him.

What happened to the daughters after then? Are they punished?

Why not junk the new testement. Jesus never preached to christians, or Romans for that matter. He was a Jewish preacher, preaching to jews, in pretty much the same manner of the later jewish prophets.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:33 am

Dyakovo wrote:
The Lacedaemonians wrote:Is it possible to be a Christian, or claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ or what he stood for, without taking the Bible too seriously?

I don't see why it wouldn't be...

The Bible has a patent on Jesus Christ.

Just the other day, they sent me a DCMA take-down notice regarding "your belief system". So now I'm a Wiccan.

It's really quite tragic. I was told that the TPP will be extending the Bible's power to Muslims, unless the Koran can mount a successful legal defense.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:33 am

I as expecting bacon-scented/flavored cannabis. Needless to say I am disappointed. :p

Fun for whole family, eh. :p
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:34 am

Saskisdi wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:And just when I thought I was done rolling with my eyes, some kid proves me wrong.

I was tagging the new goddamn TET thread. Geez.

Per the OSRS, "tag" posts are spam.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:34 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The Lacedaemonians wrote:I think my quandary stems from the observation while reading the KJV that there's a lot of disagreeable content in some parts of the story that seem permitted, even supported by the Abrahamic God. David bought his first wife with the foreskins of 200 Philistines, and Saul was exhorted to kill even women in children in a perceived extermination of the Amalekites (Both from Samuel). Lot is revered as a righteous man of God, yet he impregnates his daughters.

This bothers me.

Admittedly, my theology is by no means Nicenean, but my personal response.

Firstly, Biblical sources produce distasteful actions that were attributed to the Abrahamic God to defend indisputable acts. In some cases, this is because of translation errors. You need a theology or a history degree to discuss this in any depth, so I try not to speak like an expert on the matter - I certainly can't say if this responds to any of your comments. My theological background is particularly weak, admittedly. I don't consider this a valid rebuttal to your questions.

However, having googled the Lot story, which particularly intrigued me because it didn't seem to gel with my memory, the King James Version states that Lot was made drunk by his daughters, rather than the opposite.

Secondly, I'm non-Nicenean. The rules work differently if you reject the Council of Nicene, and are also in disagreement with everyone about everything - on this matter it's unlikely you'll find people I agree with, at least on NSG. My argument is that the Abrahamism is not dualistic - there is no Satan as an independent pseudo-divine functionary. The Abrahamic God encompasses all, and is fundamentally 'human' - it is capable of changing its mind and developing, as a human would. Otherwise it would be impossible for something to be fully divine AND fully human, as Jesus was - divinity is a fairly big deal. I also reject the idea of temporal omnipresence - otherwise all development possible would have already been completed. Fundamentally, I'm a Christian who does not practice Christianity.

Well, the thing is that for a young nation to establish its identity (because pretty much the first 5 books of the Bible are part of the Jewish torah) it seems more credible that God blessed the country and that they are the chosen ones of God, and that their enemies will fall under their feet, than to say that they are being punished by their God. Remember that, for much of Israel's biblical history, they were the underdog. That implies that the Old Testament has a bias for Israelites. And why wouldn't it? Judaism is a religion created for Israelites, their stories about God have to show punishment and rewards just like every other ancient religion as well as their nation being blessed by God, otherwise it doesn't make sense to put faith in God if he finds your actions against foreigners deplorable.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Frankuland
Secretary

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frankuland » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:34 am

Hyped for another North London Derby, GO GUNNERS!!!!!!!!
ORE WA OCHINCHIN GA DAISUKI NANDAYO
IT'S FILTHY FRANK MOTHAF*CKA IT'S FILTHY FRANK B*TCH
b0ss

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:35 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:And I am just rolling with my eyes.

Of interest perhaps to many Viking/Norse enthusiasts and re-construction-ists (and to the dread of Neo-Nazi's,the Vikings were actually very curious and open to other cultures. Regularly brought back things both physical and intellectual from their travels, and even participated in foreign rituals out of respect, and equally let outsiders participate in their own rituals as a symbol of hospitality. It's a thing of legend, Norse hospitality.

but mah aryans and their unpolluted culture derived from the sinless doctrine of God by Adam (and not Eve because she wouldn't get in the goddamn kitchen and cook something better than shitty fruit)
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

The Lacedaemonians
Minister

Founded: Aug 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lacedaemonians » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:35 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Why not junk the new testement. Jesus never preached to christians, or Romans for that matter. He was a Jewish preacher, preaching to jews, in pretty much the same manner of the later jewish prophets.

Well that is true. From a Jewish standpoint Jesus would be a prophet in a long line I take it?
Sometimes a Cynic, sometimes a Stoic, sometimes Epicurean.

The Lacedaemonians
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lacedaemonians » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:37 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:but mah aryans and their unpolluted culture derived from the sinless doctrine of God by Adam (and not Eve because she wouldn't get in the goddamn kitchen and cook something better than shitty fruit)

To give credit to the Aryans, one of their legacies seems to be excellent curry in the Indian subcontinent.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:37 am

Saskisdi wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
I'm more or less certain she means "taking the Bible at its literary word".

Only literalists do that. A majority of Christians see the bible as an interpretative work. However, the Catholic/Orthodox tradition looks at the Bible as a tool to teach the oral tradition of the church, whereas Protestants believe in sola scriptura, which is the inspired reading of the bible, which is where modern literalism comes from since, mind, literalism is a heresy for Catholics and Orthodox (heresy just means a formal error).

Yeah, taking the Bible completely literally is a horrible idea, seeing as how much of it is metaphorical abhorrent.
Ftfy
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:37 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:And I am just rolling with my eyes.

Of interest perhaps to many Viking/Norse enthusiasts and re-construction-ists (and to the dread of Neo-Nazi's,the Vikings were actually very curious and open to other cultures. Regularly brought back things both physical and intellectual from their travels, and even participated in foreign rituals out of respect, and equally let outsiders participate in their own rituals as a symbol of hospitality. It's a thing of legend, Norse hospitality.

They were nice enough to let Muslim historians and their families up there, too...irony.
Your friendly neighborhood Steppe Republic.
I was a wimp before Nationstates, now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.
Genghis did nothing wrong

The Lacedaemonians
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lacedaemonians » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 am

Jochistan wrote:They were nice enough to let Muslim historians and their families up there, too...irony.

I find that what happened to Islam following the Mongols' rampage to be quite tragic. The religion lost much.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:but mah aryans and their unpolluted culture derived from the sinless doctrine of God by Adam (and not Eve because she wouldn't get in the goddamn kitchen and cook something better than shitty fruit)

To give credit to the Aryans, one of their legacies seems to be excellent curry in the Indian subcontinent.

Tssh. Aryan Nazi organizations were using Ural Altaic people as a "historical" reference point anyway. So really they were just retarded Turanists.
Last edited by Jochistan on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Why not junk the new testement. Jesus never preached to christians, or Romans for that matter. He was a Jewish preacher, preaching to jews, in pretty much the same manner of the later jewish prophets.

Well that is true. From a Jewish standpoint Jesus would be a prophet in a long line I take it?

A preacher in a long line, some of his doctrine is heritcAL to jews. Though basically I liked what he had to say, Paul on the other hand, no so much.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am

As an Indo-Aryan myself, I can confirm that my fish-head curry is master-race tier.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:I don't see why it wouldn't be...

The Bible has a patent on Jesus Christ.

Just the other day, they sent me a DCMA take-down notice regarding "your belief system". So now I'm a Wiccan.

It's really quite tragic. I was told that the TPP will be extending the Bible's power to Muslims, unless the Koran can mount a successful legal defense.

The Islam will be devastated, because you do not have a Quran without Jesus. There was only so much they could write about the 'prophet' Mohammed without making certain without a doubt that he was nothing more than a highly efficient warlord with a predilection for mass murder and delusions of the divine. Hence why the teachings of Jesus were recycled by the people who compiled and edited the Quran in the first few decades after the Arabs successfully stumbled into creating an Islamic empire.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Yes, but there were no Jutes with them.

Since I tend to read signatures, I could not help but notice that this wannabe pagan Viking is against Christians, yet he merrily makes use of the tradition of literacy introduced by those very same Christians. I guess he didn't think things through really deep, probably because his 'paganism' doesn't go much deeper than having listened to Amon Amarth.

Remind me to sacrifice a thrall to Óðinn this yuletide.
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:41 am

Immoren wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Since I tend to read signatures, I could not help but notice that this wannabe pagan Viking is against Christians, yet he merrily makes use of the tradition of literacy introduced by those very same Christians. I guess he didn't think things through really deep, probably because his 'paganism' doesn't go much deeper than having listened to Amon Amarth.

Remind me to sacrifice a thrall to Óðinn this yuletide.

Do Finns even odinate?
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Immoren wrote:Remind me to sacrifice a thrall to Óðinn this yuletide.

Do Finns even odinate?

I think they make facial treatments for that.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

The Lacedaemonians
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lacedaemonians » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:43 am

Jochistan wrote:Tssh. Aryan Nazi organizations were using Ural Altaic people as a "historical" reference point anyway. So really they were just retarded Turanists.

They missed out on an opportunity to hijack and exquisite cuisine. Poor strategists, them racists be.

The Grim Reaper wrote:As an Indo-Aryan myself, I can confirm that my fish-head curry is master-race tier.

Der Fuhrer Tikka Masala.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:43 am

Jochistan wrote:They were nice enough to let Muslim historians and their families up there, too...irony.

I find that what happened to Islam following the Mongols' rampage to be quite tragic. The religion lost much.

Yeah. It was. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have Salafis and douchebag "medievalist" Jurors in rule. To the same extent anyway. But they did at least try to mend what they created. And some of their successors, like The Mughals, succeeded greatly. As did the Ilkhanate to an extent.

The Lacedaemonians
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lacedaemonians » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:44 am

But what about Tapio? That is also his time of year. :p

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:44 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:

Do Finns even odinate?

No. I am just syncretic in my beliefs.
:p

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:46 am

Jochistan wrote:
The Lacedaemonians wrote:I find that what happened to Islam following the Mongols' rampage to be quite tragic. The religion lost much.

Yeah. It was. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have Salafis and douchebag "medievalist" Jurors in rule. To the same extent anyway. But they did at least try to mend what they created. And some of their successors, like The Mughals, succeeded greatly. As did the Ilkhanate to an extent.

Said rampage could have been avoided if the Mongol attempts at establishing trade relations were not answered by butchering the Mongol trade caravan.

United States of Conner
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Conner » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:47 am

I dont know how to convince some people that I would rather go sit in a nice little café than go to church. It doesn't seem complex.
Guns are tools, not toys.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General