NATION

PASSWORD

Ministers threatened with arrest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it legal to arrest the ministers?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 374

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Urran wrote:still seems like the government is picking and choosing whose rights they value more.

There is no inherent right to discriminate based upon sexual orientation. As I have already stated countless times in this thread, if they want a religious exemption, then they need to incorporate as a church rather than a quickie wedding chapel.

There currently is no federal law prohibiting discrimination by orientation, only state or local laws. If the local law did not exist, the discrimination would be legal.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Urran wrote:still seems like the government is picking and choosing whose rights they value more.

Business laws are about rights.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
There is no inherent right to discriminate based upon sexual orientation. As I have already stated countless times in this thread, if they want a religious exemption, then they need to incorporate as a church rather than a quickie wedding chapel.

There currently is no federal law prohibiting discrimination by orientation, only state or local laws. If the local law did not exist, the discrimination would be legal.

Correct. However, as such local ordinances have traditionally been upheld by the Supreme Court, that shows that discrimination based upon sexual orientation is not considered a right when it comes to private businesses.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:There currently is no federal law prohibiting discrimination by orientation, only state or local laws. If the local law did not exist, the discrimination would be legal.

Correct. However, as such local ordinances have traditionally been upheld by the Supreme Court, that shows that discrimination based upon sexual orientation is not considered a right when it comes to private businesses.

And protection from discrimination based on orientation is not a right, yet.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

And protection from discrimination based on orientation is not a right, yet.

Actually, I believe that it is an inherent right, even if it's not yet recognized as such by the Supreme Court. However, that's neither here nor there. The point is that even if the right is not yet recognized on a federal level, laws prohibiting discrimination against people based upon sexual identity are not seen as being a violation of rights.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:And protection from discrimination based on orientation is not a right, yet.

Actually, I believe that it is an inherent right, even if it's not yet recognized as such by the Supreme Court. However, that's neither here nor there. The point is that even if the right is not yet recognized on a federal level, laws prohibiting discrimination against people based upon sexual identity are not seen as being a violation of rights.

They are of a religion. If the ministers had a church and not a private corp., They would not have to sue for a declatory udgement.

Which is why I believe according to the law, they personally do not have to marry same sex couples, but their business has to offer the service.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Actually, I believe that it is an inherent right, even if it's not yet recognized as such by the Supreme Court. However, that's neither here nor there. The point is that even if the right is not yet recognized on a federal level, laws prohibiting discrimination against people based upon sexual identity are not seen as being a violation of rights.

They are of a religion. If the ministers had a church and not a private corp., They would not have to sue for a declatory udgement.

Which is why I believe according to the law, they personally do not have to marry same sex couples, but their business has to offer the service.

Yes, that's pretty much what I've been saying for the entire thread.

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:They are of a religion. If the ministers had a church and not a private corp., They would not have to sue for a declatory udgement.

Hmm, I wonder how many pages that took.

Though I agree with you, How about accommodation for regular churches?(Most likely Yes since this is most likely a stupid question :p)
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:They are of a religion. If the ministers had a church and not a private corp., They would not have to sue for a declatory udgement.

Oh sure, now you tell me.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:53 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Hmm, I wonder how many pages that took.

Though I agree with you, How about accommodation for regular churches?(Most likely Yes since this is most likely a stupid question :p)

Churches are an entirely different matter, and I support their rights to be as bigoted towards anyone as they want to be.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Hmm, I wonder how many pages that took.

Churches are an entirely different matter, and I support their rights to be as bigoted towards anyone as they want to be.

I agree. But since this is a business, I'm hesitant to say they're in the right. I don't think that what they did as correct.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I agree. But since this is a business, I'm hesitant to say they're in the right. I don't think that what they did as correct.

The punishment though of jailtime is way past necessary.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Iirc, they were threatened with it but, unless there's been another development I'm unaware of, they haven't been arrested.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

the law calls for jailtime if its ignored. The ministers were not threatened with jailtime.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:The punishment though of jailtime is way past necessary.

Iirc, they were threatened with it but, unless there's been another development I'm unaware of, they haven't been arrested.

They were threatened as per the OP, but then again...
The OP doesn't have the greatest sources
*cough cough fox news cough cough*

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

They were threatened as per the OP, but then again...

Anyway. They're not under arrest anyway.
Slava Ukraini

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Obviously I think that this is great and this should happen more often. But that's not the main question that I had. Why do you, and most conservatives, lord the Constitution as the end all be all of laws, it was made to be changed. That is the beauty of the Constitution, if the Foundig Fathers(which conservatives also love to lord over people with) saw the way that you revered their thoughts they'd be disgusted. They wanted it to change.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:They were threatened as per the OP, but then again...

The statement of the sentence is confusing.
That I know, though the threat that was issue may or may not have been issued, though it's more likely that it was.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

That I know, though the threat that was issue may or may not have been issued, though it's more likely that it was.

I have no idea how to be clearer in that, if there was a threat of arrest and jail time, these ministers haven't been arrested. Not as far as I'm aware.
Slava Ukraini

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:The statement of the sentence is confusing.

I have no idea how to be clearer in that, if there was a threat of arrest and jail time, these ministers haven't been arrested. Not as far as I'm aware.

That's what I'm saying Nana. The threat may or may not have been issued, but under the assumption it has, they haven't been.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

They asked the city, the city said if you don't do the marriages we will come after you for violating the law. They are suing the city in federal court for a declaritory jidgement saying the discrimination is legal.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:The statement of the sentence is confusing.

They asked the city, the city said if you don't do the marriages we will come after you for violating the law. They are suing the city in federal court for a declaritory jidgement saying the discrimination is legal.

In the business side of the case, it should be legal as they are forced to accommodate all without discrimination. Church wise, they can be without a worry about that, though their decision to stick with being a business drained a bit of their argument down.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

It wasn't correct.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Urran wrote:And what of the freedom to practice heir religion? It's no different then someone trying to force you to believe in a god you don't believe in in my opinion, just the reverse.

They aren't being prevented from practicing their religion.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:29 am

Businesses should not be allowed to discriminate. If one opens up to the public, one must serve the entire public.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General