NATION

PASSWORD

Catholic Confessional Seal Part 2 - Supreme Court

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Courts be able to force priests to break their Confessional Seals?

Yes (Catholic)
5%
No (Catholic)
25%
Yes (Non-Catholic Christian)
4%
No (Non-Catholic Christian)
18%
Yes (Non-Christian Religious)
1%
No (Non-Christian Religious
3%
Yes (Non-religious)
29%
No (Non-Religious)
16%

Total votes : 217

Winpheala
Attaché

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Anarchy

Postby Winpheala » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:59 am

Yes and yes. The government have every right to force a person to break a piece of wax. Frankly, I can't see the big deal about it.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Accept his gross misunderstanding of constitutional law as fact.
*nods*

So you're just intentionally misrepresenting things rather than addressing them. I'm not surprised, since we both already knew that you were incapable of doing so

Pot, meet kettle.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
And that yet has to address my question.

I can go at this all day long, and I'm not going to lose a single drop of sweat over it. So now answer the question: What is your challenge?

So you still refuse to address mine. That certainly doesn't make me feel much like reciprocating

And you still refuse to address mine. Which doesn't get you any points at reciprocating in kind from my part.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:13 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
The confessional seal applies to the priest in so much as the sinner actually doesn't break the seal of confession:

The wording of the Council of Lateran is quite clear in this that the priest is not to betray the sinner, which means that the confessional seal applies in defense of the sinner, not the priest. He cannot disclose any records of the guy who's dead, but the girl however can break the seal if she so wishes and the priest isn't obligated to keep the seal alive anymore if the girl gives him permission to disclose the communications. The girl stated what the priest told her at the confessional when she told him she has "improper sexual relations" with the guy. In this manner the court can only ask for the priest's records of the girl, not the other guy. The other guy has nothing to do with the kind of records that are being requested.

As for your other question; if I am making personal choices of course I will rely on my opinion. However, if my religion tells me that I should kill black people to be in grace with God because he finds this good, and the law says I should not murder people otherwise I will end up in prison, who do you think is worth listening to?

The sacramental seal is inviolable; therefore it is absolutely forbidden for a confessor to betray in any way a penitent in words or in any manner and for any reason.

So, it is NEVER to be broken. They don't say 'until _____, _______, or ________

You're changing the topic on the opinion issue. We were talking about personal opinions of what people should do.

Is this what all the argument's about?

Jeez, guys, it goes back like a few pages. :lol:

So, yeah, no, WestRedMaple has reading comprehension problems.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:17 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Accept his gross misunderstanding of constitutional law as fact.
*nods*

So you're just intentionally misrepresenting things rather than addressing them. I'm not surprised, since we both already knew that you were incapable of doing so

I'm not misrepresenting anything. You have a gross misunderstanding of how constitutional law works and your challenge is based on a fallacious premise.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:43 am

This has devolved into a schoolyard bickering contest. My apologies to the folks who were trying to talk about the topic but we're done here.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Return to General