NATION

PASSWORD

Who was the Soviet Union's best leader?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who was the Soviet Union's best leader?

Vladimir Lenin
21%
Josef Stalin
18%
Georgy Malenkov
2%
Nikita Khrushchev
15%
Alexei Kosygin
1%
Anastas Mikoyan
2%
Leonid Brezhnev
3%
Yuri Andropov
3%
Konstantin Chernenko
1%
Mikhail Gorbachev
35%

Total votes : 131

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Chenenko, duh.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Andaluciae wrote:Chenenko, duh.

That is a creative interpretation of "best"...at best.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:Chenenko, duh.

That is a creative interpretation of "best"...at best.

I've set "best" as being equal to shortest.

Although Malenkov might also rank up there for never actually being fully and independently in charge.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Andaluciae wrote:I've set "best" as being equal to shortest.

Although Malenkov might also rank up there for never actually being fully and independently in charge.

I remember reading in Thompson's biography of Khruschev that the saying went "Malenkov came by, and we ate some blini.". He did drastically increase supplies of consumer goods and boost lagging agricultural production (ironically in opposition to Khrushchev's advocacy of heavy industry at the time), so he was pretty solid.

Of course, like any effective, competent Soviet leader he wound up banished to a hydroelectric plant in Kazakhstan.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Andaluciae wrote:I've set "best" as being equal to shortest.

I remember reading in Thompson's biography of Khruschev that the saying went "Malenkov came by, and we ate some blini.". He did drastically increase supplies of consumer goods and boost lagging agricultural production (ironically in opposition to Khrushchev's advocacy of heavy industry at the time), so he was pretty solid.

Of course, like any effective, competent Soviet leader he wound up banished to a hydroelectric plant in Kazakhstan.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Vladimir Lenin
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Sel Appa
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sel Appa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Stalin for turning a shit hole into a first world power in 25 years.

Gorbachev was a pansy and an idiot.
Remembering 21c: A real-life nation simulation!
NationStates General: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
The Turtle Times
Hockey modifier: -5 (in case I forget to post a roster in the future)

Sel Appa
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2004

Postby Sel Appa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Stalin for turning a shit hole into a first world power in 25 years.

Remembering 21c: A real-life nation simulation!
NationStates General: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
The Turtle Times
Hockey modifier: -5 (in case I forget to post a roster in the future)

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Sel Appa wrote:Stalin for turning a shit hole into a first world power in 25 years.

Actually...for its duration the Soviet Union was "Second World".

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Risottia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:I do find myself wondering if Gorbachev is performing so strongly in the poll because he was the effective death knell of the Soviet Union... or just because a lot of NSer's probably have him as their only reference point?

I think that Gorby was about to save the Soviet Union... that's why so many people, within and without, worked so hard against him and eventually had him eliminated from the political scene.

I'm inclined to agree - since that's pretty much what happened to Khrushchev.
I identify as
a problem

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:08 pm

The Naked Ape wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Olmedreca wrote:Gorbachev is obviously worst because ideal chance of turning collapse of Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc into massive bloodbath was completely missed. Stalin and Lenin are obviously best for all the millions of deaths of their own people that they helped to cause.

Yes, because the Eastern Bloc had such powerful organizations that could have caused those bloodbaths. And Lenin totally invented the Red Terror, the World declaring "Open Season" on Russia had nothing to do with that. And Stalin is clearly evil, he stopped Hitler, should've just let Hitler carry out his swell genocidal plans.

Hey look, I can be sarcastic too!

Hmmmmn... pretty accurate actually!

I doubt Hitler could've done a better job than Stalin did himself.

Max. Percentage of civilian population annihilated by Stalin: 10
Max. Percentage of civilian population annihilated by Hitler: 90

Clearly 10 > 90, amirite? (Hitler annihilate 90% of Jews in Nazi Germany. Stalin's "annihilations" were more a byproduct of his policies. I.e. the famine occurred due to Stalin's incompetence and distrust of the Kulaks. Had nothing to do with going after poor, poor Ukraine, but revisionists will tow their propaganda all the way.

Olmedreca wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Yes, because the Eastern Bloc had such powerful organizations that could have caused those bloodbaths.

Only thing that would had been needed was this on larger scale:

Yes, because infantry always succeeds against tanks. Oh wait....

Once again, a massive revolution against the Red Army would not have been possible. The only reason that the Red Army "lost" Afghanistan, was due to interference from the Kremlin, and lack of manpower and supplies.

Olmedreca wrote:
Shofercia wrote:And Lenin totally invented the Red Terror, the World declaring "Open Season" on Russia had nothing to do with that.

Nobody forced bolsheviks to make a coup, well except that their Imperial German financers would had probably been displeased if no progress had been made.

Umm, read up on history. The Revolution was in full swing before Lenin arrived.

Olmedreca wrote:
Shofercia wrote:And Stalin is clearly evil, he stopped Hitler, should've just let Hitler carry out his swell genocidal plans.

With all the mistakes and miscalculations that Stalin made, Hitler did almost succeed. And thats not even counting deaths he caused to his own people at peacetime.

Yes, because Stalin was the one who imposed draconian terms on Germany, (Versailles Treaty,) who let Hitler out of jail early, who personally gassed Hitler, and clearly he was the one who brainwashed Chamberlain to give Hitler Czechoslovakia. Stalin is also guilty of the Black Plaugue, the Native American Genocide, why not, if you have an imagination, let's keep on going....

Andaluciae wrote:
Sel Appa wrote:Stalin for turning a shit hole into a first world power in 25 years.

A superb propaganda piece by the West. Call yourself the first World and your opponents the Second World. Then ask others which country they want to follow. Brilliant.
Last edited by Shofercia on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

A superb propaganda piece by the West. Call yourself the first World and your opponents the Second World. Then ask others which country they want to follow. Brilliant.

The theory was the following: The Western World was the First World, the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, and the Third World was all the neutral countries. The term originally had nothing to do with development.

However the fact that the Western World had GDPs averaging twice to three times that of the Soviet Union, clearly indicates that the Western World was more developed than the Eastern Bloc.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Nikita Khrushchev because he visited the US for the sole purpose of getting drunk with John Wayne.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

The theory was the following: The Western World was the First World, the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, and the Third World was all the neutral countries. The term originally had nothing to do with development.

However the fact that the Western World had GDPs averaging twice to three times that of the Soviet Union, clearly indicates that the Western World was more developed than the Eastern Bloc.

Umm, usually when you call something the First World, and something else the Second World, you are implying that the First World is better. Would you rather be first or second at the Olympics? BTW, I didn't say it had anything to do with development measured in GDP.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:47 pm

Shofercia wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

Umm, usually when you call something the First World, and something else the Second World, you are implying that the First World is better. Would you rather be first or second at the Olympics? BTW, I didn't say it had anything to do with development measured in GDP.

Well, the point is that according to most measures, the First World was better. Also, the United Nations has always thought that First World has something to do with GDP/GNP.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:50 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

Well, the point is that according to most measures, the First World was better. Also, the United Nations has always thought that First World has something to do with GDP/GNP.

My point was that it was a brilliant propaganda piece. You are arguing about GDP. Congratulations, you destroyed my argument that cats are white, by arguing that dogs are black....

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Burchadinger wrote:Who was the Soviet Union's best leader and why?

That would depend upon your criteria for the best.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Shofercia wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

My point was that it was a brilliant propaganda piece. You are arguing about GDP. Congratulations, you destroyed my argument that cats are white, by arguing that dogs are black....

I'm not denying that. I'm arguing your cynicism that it was just propaganda. It has quite a solid basis in fact.

Burchadinger
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Burchadinger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 am

Its good to see that all of them have at least 1 vote!
Runners Up - DBC XXV
Third Place - AOCAF XXXIII

Call me Burch and not Burcha

Olmedreca
Attaché

Founded: Jan 14, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Olmedreca » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:33 am

Shofercia wrote:
Olmedreca wrote:
Shofercia wrote:And Lenin totally invented the Red Terror, the World declaring "Open Season" on Russia had nothing to do with that.

Nobody forced bolsheviks to make a coup, well except that their Imperial German financers would had probably been displeased if no progress had been made.

Revolution was, but civil war, foreign intervention, and proper scale terror wasn't.

Shofercia wrote:
Olmedreca wrote:
Shofercia wrote:And Stalin is clearly evil, he stopped Hitler, should've just let Hitler carry out his swell genocidal plans.

With all the mistakes and miscalculations that Stalin made, Hitler did almost succeed. And thats not even counting deaths he caused to his own people at peacetime.

Yes, because Stalin was the one who imposed draconian terms on Germany, (Versailles Treaty,) who let Hitler out of jail early, who personally gassed Hitler, and clearly he was the one who brainwashed Chamberlain to give Hitler Czechoslovakia. Stalin is also guilty of the Black Plaugue, the Native American Genocide, why not, if you have an imagination, let's keep on going....

I guess you consider all Stalin's decisions good beyond any dispute, or you simply don't know anything about Soviet Union before and during WW II. Either way there is nothing to discuss.
Last edited by Olmedreca on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:53 am

South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
South Norwega wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

I'm not denying that. I'm arguing your cynicism that it was just propaganda. It has quite a solid basis in fact.

I wouldn't say that. Arguing that your country is First World just because of GDP sounds pretty damn cynical and money-hungry. On the other hand it's perfect if you want to work for AIG.

Olmedreca wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Olmedreca wrote:

Revolution was, but civil war, foreign intervention, and proper scale terror wasn't.

Proper scale terror wasn't? Oh boy. Civil War wasn't? Riiight. Foreign Intervention wasn't? Who intervened to bring Lenin in? Wasn't it a foreign country bringing Lenin into Russia, before Lenin was in the country? Thank you once again for showing us your superb knowledge of the facts.

Olmedreca wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Olmedreca wrote:

I guess you consider all Stalin's decisions good beyond any dispute, or you simply don't know anything about Soviet Union before and during WW II. Either way there is nothing to discuss.

I'm just pointing out that Stalin wasn't the only one who fucked up. I apologize for using facts to intervene with your Stalin bashing, please continue.

I don't consider all of Stalin's decisions "beyond dispute". He purged the army and he built fortifications too close to the front, he didn't follow through on the Partisan integration. However you are going on a bashing spree, without mentioning any facts. I just thought that facts might interest you, once again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:55 am

Mrs Thatcher, obviously ;-)
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.

Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 am

Shofercia wrote:I wouldn't say that. Arguing that your country is First World just because of GDP sounds pretty damn cynical and money-hungry. On the other hand it's perfect if you want to work for AIG.

Eh, what? GDP is often associated with the standard of living.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:59 am

The Kropotkinite Union wrote:Um, none? The Soviet Union abandoned real Marxist principles the moment Lenin came on the scene.

I vote with Krop. The Soviet Union had no good leaders, only leaders that may not have been as evil as Stalin. And not as evil as Stalin still seems not so good.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Burchadinger
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Burchadinger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:39 am

Aligned Planets wrote:Mrs Thatcher, obviously ;-)

:eyebrow:
Runners Up - DBC XXV
Third Place - AOCAF XXXIII

Call me Burch and not Burcha

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General