NATION

PASSWORD

Pelosi loses it and chases Republican across house floor

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Sometimes, democracy can really lower the standard of behavior we have come to expect from our leaders.

Can you imagine people behaving like this in a castle in front of the king?

People are neither more nor less well behaved in a democracy than they are in an autocracy. /autocrat threadjack.

i disagree but whatever.

People can be really theatrical and rude (like in the OP) because democracy, through its adversarial nature promotes confrontationalism and has a higher tolerance for theatrics. The elected representatives in general also come from really aggressive professions (like running businesses or being lawyers) and this promotes a different dynamic than if you were raised a gentleman, in a mansion, and with all the proprieties of good manner from a young age. It's just different.

I think things have gone too far in America; now we get all sorts of theatrics with the democratic representatives. The confrontationalism in Congress and bad upbringing is fueling this stuff. It definitely has something to do with democracy and its emphasis on confrontation, competition, and adversarialism. Politicians are so obsessed with winning the next round of elections and making the other side look bad, sometimes its like there are many countries in one country (it often doesn't feel like they all have the USA's best interest at heart but their own party/personal success). Democracy seems to lead to division...

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Scomagia wrote:People are neither more nor less well behaved in a democracy than they are in an autocracy. /autocrat threadjack.

i disagree but whatever.

People can be really theatrical and rude (like in the OP) because democracy, through its adversarial nature promotes confrontationalism and has a higher tolerance for theatrics. The elected representatives in general also come from really aggressive professions (like running businesses or being lawyers) and this promotes a different dynamic than if you were raised a gentleman, in a mansion, and with all the proprieties of good manner from a young age. It's just different.

I think things have gone too far in America; now we get all sorts of theatrics with the democratic representatives. The confrontationalism in Congress and bad upbringing is fueling this stuff. It definitely has something to do with democracy and its emphasis on confrontation, competition, and adversarialism. Politicians are so obsessed with winning the next round of elections and making the other side look bad, sometimes its like there are many countries in one country (it often doesn't feel like they all have the USA's best interest at heart but their own party/personal success). Democracy seems to lead to division...

Make a thread if you feel so strongly.
Insert trite farewell here

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Scomagia wrote:People are neither more nor less well behaved in a democracy than they are in an autocracy. /autocrat threadjack.

i disagree but whatever.

An aggressive profession is better than having all your status and power handed to you on a golden platter without needing an actual profession.
Last edited by Geilinor on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Viritica wrote:No, really.
On Sunday morning, Rep. Tom Marino, (R-PA), posted a YouTube video of his interview on Fox News' "Fox and Friends," during which he described how former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accosted him on the House floor Friday, saying she called him “a liar, a liar” and twice dubbed him as “insignificant.”

“In an unusual breach of decorum, even for the divided Congress,” John Parkinson and Chris Good reported for ABC News Friday, “House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi chased Rep. Tom Marino across the House floor, taking offense at comments by the Pennsylvania Republican during debate on the border funding bill Friday night.”

As Fox News reported Sept. 9, 2009, House Democrats demanded that Tom Wilson, (R-SC), "apologize or face censure" after he shouted "you lie" during President Barack Obama's speech to a joint session of Congress in the House chamber.

“You know something that I find quite interesting about the other side?” the Pennsylvania Republican congressman asked as he concluded his comments on the border supplemental. “Under the leadership of the former Speaker [Pelosi], and under the leadership of their former leader [Rep. Steny Hoyer], when in 2009 and 2010, they had the House, the Senate and the White House, and they knew this problem existed.”

“They didn’t have the strength to go after it back then," Marino added. "But now are trying to make a political issue out of it now.”

“Off-mic,” Parkinson and Good described how Pelosi “then approached Marino, crossing the aisle in view of cameras, and apparently challenged Marino’s assertion that Democrats did not do anything about the issue when they had majority control.”

“Yes it is true,” Marino told Pelosi. “I did the research on it. You might want to try it. You might want to try it, Madam Leader. Do the research on it. Do the research. I did it. That’s one thing that you don’t do.”

"Apparently," Marino surmised of Pelosi's response to his comments, "I hit the right nerve.”

“After Marino concluded his remarks, and as many Republicans applauded their colleague,” Parkinson and Good described how “Pelosi crossed the chamber again in view of cameras, enraged, pointing and sticking her finger at Marino.”

She then chased Marino up a Republican aisle, "gesturing and arguing with him," relenting only "after Republicans tried to get between Pelosi and Marino.

After Pelosi returned to the Democratic side of the chamber, the House "promptly voted to approve the $694 million border supplemental, 223-189."

“According to Pelosi spokeswoman Evangeline George,” Parkinson and Good added in an update, “Leader Pelosi just wanted to remind the Congressman that House Democrats had the courage to pass the DREAM Act – and have the courage to stand up for what the American people want: bipartisan, comprehensive immigration reform.”

However, at the time House Democrats passed the DREAM Act, it was not "what the American people wanted."

As Politico reported Nov. 10, 2010, Pelosi ignored the “risk” of “appearing out of sync with voters -- "who sent a message during the midterm election that they want lawmakers to focus on job creation” and pushed for a vote on the DREAM Act “during the lame-duck session.”

A November 22, 2010 poll conducted by Pulse Opinion Research on behalf of the Federation for American Immigration Reform showed that – while 54 percent of voters opposed the DREAM Act – 59 percent opposed using a lame duck Congress to pass it, saying they should focus on economic issues rather than social policies.

Still, in a Dec. 8, 2010 post on her Democratic Leader website, Pelosi touted the passage of the DREAM Act by the Democrat-controlled House by a vote of 216 to 198.

As Deseret News reported Dec. 18, 2010, the Dream Act was defeated in the Democrat-controlled Senate by a vote of 55-41, falling five votes short of the 60 needed to break through “largely GOP opposition and win its enactment” before Republicans would take over the House and narrow the Democrat’s majority in the Senate the following month.

A March 16-20 Siena College poll showed that 56 percent of voters in New York opposed a state version of the DREAM Act, which failed in the New York Senate.

On Nov. 28, 2011, The Daily Caller reported that a poll conducted by the University of Southern California’s Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences and the Los Angeles Times showed that 55 percent of registered voters in California -- Pelosi's home state -- opposed the state’s DREAM Act, which was signed into law" the previous month.

Following Friday’s vote, Pelosi tweeted that the House GOP “has reached a new low with votes to deport DREAMers and unaccompanied children escaping violence” and called the vote “unconscionable.”

The “bill-says u aren't welcome,” Pelosi said in a tweet directed at “DREAMers,” adding that “this is a call 2 action” to “hold them accountable.”

“It's time to stop catering to most radical voices of the GOP & address #BorderCrisis in thoughtful & compassionate manner,” Pelosi added in a tweet directed at Republican House Speaker John Boehner.

However, as CNN reported Thursday, “the current crisis on the nation's southern border appears to be fueling a notable shift in American attitudes toward immigration policy with border security growing in importance.”

While 54 percent of Americans supported the idea of legal status for illegal immigrants in February, and only 41 percent preferred tighter border security, Thursday’s CNN/ORC International poll showed that 51 percent of Americans now prefer tighter border security and only 45 percent favor providing illegal immigrants with legal status.

The Washington Examiner reported Monday, a July 19-21 YouGov poll showed that “a huge majority of Americans, 81 percent, believe the new immigration crisis of unaccompanied children streaming over the U.S.-Mexico border is serious, and almost as many want them gone.”

Parkinson and Good also noted in the updated ABC News report that Pelosi’s spokeswoman said the angered former House Speaker had “accepted” Marino’s “apology.” However, Marino’s chief of staff, Bill Tighe, insisted in an email that Marino “did not apologize to Leader Pelosi and does not intend to do so as he has nothing to apologize for.”

“She was entirely out of line in approaching him while he was recognized and delivering remarks on the Floor,” Tighe wrote. “Her staff’s comment in your story about her accepting his apology in simply not true.”

So yeah, in an unusual breach of House decorum Nancy Pelosi went ballistic and chased Republican Tom Marino across the House floor aiming her skeletal finger at him after he got done blasting her and her party over their piss poor handling of the border crisis. Even more interesting, she twice dubbed him "insignificant" and apparently accepted an apology that he never gave her. Apparently Marino really did hit the right nerve.

IMO, Pelosi's losing it and can't seem to handle any harsh criticism leveled against her. Maybe she's just going senile? Who can say.

Thoughts, oh ye of NSG?

Come back when your members start punching each other during sessions of Parliament or bring in dead fish to make political statements.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Viritica wrote:She broke decorum and acted like a child on the House floor.

Don't get pissed cause people are making fun of her.

Yeah, she needs to show decorum and maturity like Joe "YOU LIE" Wilson. *nod nod*

Uh, yeah, Joe Wilson didn't get up and chase people around the House floor.

It's funny cause libs like you laugh when RethugliKKKans fuck up but then when a Dem fucks up you're all "leave her alone" lol.
Last edited by Viritica on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Viritica wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Yeah, she needs to show decorum and maturity like Joe "YOU LIE" Wilson. *nod nod*

It's funny cause libs like you laugh when RethugliKKKans fuck up but then when a Dem fucks up you're all "leave her alone" lol.

Don't generalize. It's unbecoming.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Viritica wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Possibly. I am always amused how you cons are threatened by strong women.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Viritica wrote:No, really.

So yeah, in an unusual breach of House decorum Nancy Pelosi went ballistic and chased Republican Tom Marino across the House floor aiming her skeletal finger at him after he got done blasting her and her party over their piss poor handling of the border crisis. Even more interesting, she twice dubbed him "insignificant" and apparently accepted an apology that he never gave her. Apparently Marino really did hit the right nerve.

IMO, Pelosi's losing it and can't seem to handle any harsh criticism leveled against her. Maybe she's just going senile? Who can say.

Thoughts, oh ye of NSG?

Come back when your members start punching each other during sessions of Parliament or bring in dead fish to make political statements.

Wouldn't be interesting. Old white man club would get a beating.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Viritica wrote:Uh, yeah, Joe Wilson didn't get up and chase people around the House floor.

Ah, the good ole sexist card.

Always a great tactic, huh? Especially when you wanna cover up the hilarious mistake of your "strong woman".

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Viritica wrote:Uh, yeah, Joe Wilson didn't get up and chase people around the House floor.

Where are you pulling that from?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Wouldn't be interesting. Old white man club would get a beating.

Ours is tame. Usually it's just two people engaging in a spot of pugilism outside the House (because the actual chamber here is called the House of Representatives).

You should see the brawls they have in Europe and Taiwan. An old bag running around on the floor is nothing when you have people beating each other with shoes and chairs.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Where are you pulling that from?

His ass.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Viritica wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Where are you pulling that from?

His ass.

Looks that way.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Viritica wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Where are you pulling that from?

His ass.

Says the master.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:11 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Viritica wrote:His ass.

Says the master.

The master of what? Ass-pulling?

Nah. I mean, I don't think I've done much ass-pulling in this thread.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Murkwood wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
It's uniformed to suggest they aren't.

Fact remains; the crazy women label belongs to the Republicans.

Pelosi, Warren, Hillary, Mikulski, Boxer, Gillibrand...

You sure?

None of them are crazy.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Now if this was a Republican everyone here would be yelling "evil Republicans, GOP is delusional"

But no it's a communist lunatic from san fransisco, so it's OK.

Impeach this lunatic from her minority leader position and send her back to San Fran where her old ass belongs.
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Viritica wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Ah, the good ole sexist card.

Always a great tactic, huh? Especially when you wanna cover up the hilarious mistake of your "strong woman".

Ahh the card argument defense. Nancy does lead well. It's obvious by your childish arguments against her.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Viritica wrote:His ass.

Looks that way.

Try reading the thread and his history of comments.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Viritica wrote:Ah, the good ole sexist card.

Ahh the card argument defense. Nancy does lead well. It's obvious by your childish arguments against her.

Lead well?

:lol2:

I'm assuming that's why she lost the House?

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Looks that way.

That would only support the fact that you're pulling your claims out of your left-wing ass.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Viritica wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Lead well?

See childish. All you can muster is a :lol2:

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Looks that way.

I've been reading the thread. I've yet to see sexism.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Viritica wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
She directly responded to the man telling blatant lies on the House floor. Considering how willing he was to lie at that point, I'm neutral as to whether or not he apologized to her.

She broke decorum and acted like a child on the House floor.

Don't get pissed cause people are making fun of her.

Calling someone out for lying is "acting like a child"?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Viritica wrote:Lead well?

See childish. All you can muster is a :lol2:

And, you know, the text below it. But just ignore that and focus on a smilie I posted to mock your statement.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General