NATION

PASSWORD

Gay Marriage: Arguments Against, Right or Wrong?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Wed May 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Alcmaria wrote:
Othelos wrote:Human rights aren't a popularity contest, though.

There's no fundamental right to marry. It's a game made up by people, and if the players want to change the rules, it can be done. It's not like being married makes one a full-fledged citizen.

Yeah, there's a fundamental right to marriage.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed May 21, 2014 6:58 pm

So... just to recap... the only real arguments against gay marriage are:
1. Jeebus says it's bad.
2. Slippery slope (gay marriage will lead to people marrying their pet rats).
3. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!111!!!!1!!1!!one!!!

All those arguments are bullshit.
Last edited by Viritica on Wed May 21, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Fair enough though, I guess what i'm saying is since that's what I believe the fight should be, that basically the whole gay marriage fight and all the energy spent on it will be wasted. I mean less say the supreme court universally recognizes a right to gay marriage next year and then ten years down the line marriage is disentangled from govt, at that point gay rights advocates would be proven to have fought a pointless battle. Basically what I'm saying is is that no one should be advocating for more govt involvement in marriage when marriage is the problem to begin with. ;)

Nobody's advocating for more government involvement in marriage. Marriage equality advocates are simply stating that same-sex couples should have the same rights as straight couples when it comes to marriage, and should receive all of the attendant benefits. That's not greater government involvement. It's a simple recognition of the equality of the relationships and the people involved in said relationships.

As far as government getting out of the marriage business entirely goes, that's fine, but I somehow don't see the movement gaining steam, and until it does, it's an irrelevant topic.

Well, gay people are. They want the state and feds to recognize their marriages. Look the way i see you don't need a govt license to be married, you want to be married ya grab a minister (or have your buddy get ordained online for $20) throw a couple a rings at each other, kiss and bing bang boom ya married. To hell with the govt and what they will or won't recognize. My point is why have more people invested in the system of state approved marriage, rather than fight to remove the state from the marriage business altogether? ;)

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, I don't. And quite frankly, I don't give a flying fuck about what you or I think about its importance. The rights and benefits associated with marriage are, in fact, substantial from an objective standpoint and helps society in general.

Actually, rights and benefits of marriage can usually be obtained through other means anyway.

No, they really can't.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Viritica wrote:So... just to recap... the only real arguments against gay marriage are:
1. Jeebus says it's bad.
2. Slipper slope (gay marriage will lead to people marrying their pet rats).
3. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!111!!!!1!!1!!one!!!

All those arguments are bullshit.

!. I don't recall jeebus actually expressing an opinion one way or the other, or if he didn't he wasn't very clear about it as far as I've seen.
3. Children are important, arguably one could make the argument that more gay marriage is actually good for kids cause it means more potential adoptive parents. ;)

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Also, bonobos.

Bonobos exist within humans? :shock:

:lol2:
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed May 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Nobody's advocating for more government involvement in marriage. Marriage equality advocates are simply stating that same-sex couples should have the same rights as straight couples when it comes to marriage, and should receive all of the attendant benefits. That's not greater government involvement. It's a simple recognition of the equality of the relationships and the people involved in said relationships.

As far as government getting out of the marriage business entirely goes, that's fine, but I somehow don't see the movement gaining steam, and until it does, it's an irrelevant topic.

Well, gay people are. They want the state and feds to recognize their marriages. Look the way i see you don't need a govt license to be married, you want to be married ya grab a minister (or have your buddy get ordained online for $20) throw a couple a rings at each other, kiss and bing bang boom ya married. To hell with the govt and what they will or won't recognize. My point is why have more people invested in the system of state approved marriage, rather than fight to remove the state from the marriage business altogether? ;)

You're equating recognition with involvement. That's ridiculous.

And you don't need a government license to get married, but you do need one to get the benefits that go with marriage. You know this by now. If you want to keep arguing that the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all (and it's amazing how this idea only seriously started to be discussed once gay marriage started to be an actual thing), that's fine, but it's a topic for another thead.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Well, gay people are.

No, they aren't.
Married to Koshka

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Actually, rights and benefits of marriage can usually be obtained through other means anyway.

No, they really can't.

Aside from differential tax treatment, most of the rest can be gained through mutual adoption, power of attorny, wills, living wills etc. In fact before civil unions and gay marriage this was in part not an uncommon strategy employed by gay people. ;)

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Well, gay people are.

No, they aren't.

They want govt to recognize their marriage, that means govt would be recognizing more total marriage, hence govt is more involved in marriage. ;)

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed May 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Fair enough though, I guess what i'm saying is since that's what I believe the fight should be, that basically the whole gay marriage fight and all the energy spent on it will be wasted. I mean less say the supreme court universally recognizes a right to gay marriage next year and then ten years down the line marriage is disentangled from govt, at that point gay rights advocates would be proven to have fought a pointless battle. Basically what I'm saying is is that no one should be advocating for more govt involvement in marriage when marriage is the problem to begin with. ;)

If anything, surely the government putting less regulations on who can be marriage shows less involvement in the marriage business.
Yes.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed May 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:No, they aren't.

They want govt to recognize their marriage, that means govt would be recognizing more total marriage, hence govt is more involved in marriage. ;)

No it isn't. Government involvement isn't increased in any way.
Married to Koshka

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

If anything, surely the government putting less regulations on who can be marriage shows less involvement in the marriage business.

It's seriously like arguing that the government getting rid of anti-sodomy laws is government getting more involved in the bedroom.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

And you don't need a government license to get married, but you do need one to get the benefits that go with marriage. You know this by now. If you want to keep arguing that the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all (and it's amazing how this idea only seriously started to be discussed once gay marriage started to be an actual thing), that's fine, but it's a topic for another thead.

Well they do say, if youre married you owe x much in taxes and if you aren't you owe y much in taxes. Which is bullshit, marital status shouldn't be involved in determining tax liability but it is. Or how about divorce, the some people have deliberately put off divorce for similiar reasons. Because even no fault divorce can be costly and in a down economy there's not a lot of extra dough floating around for most people. ;)

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed May 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:If anything, surely the government putting less regulations on who can be marriage shows less involvement in the marriage business.

It's seriously like arguing that the government getting rid of anti-sodomy laws is government getting more involved in the bedroom.

"I'm going to get more involved in marriage by butting out and letting people marry who they want."

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:If anything, surely the government putting less regulations on who can be marriage shows less involvement in the marriage business.

That would hold if the govt handed out sex licenses, but they don't. Thus yes, striking down antisodomy laws is less govt. Recognizing gay marriage is more govt, than having the govt not recognize any marriage. ;)

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Viritica wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:It's seriously like arguing that the government getting rid of anti-sodomy laws is government getting more involved in the bedroom.

"I'm going to get more involved in marriage by butting out and letting people marry who they want."

"I'm going to get more involved with religion by recognizing X as a religion."

This logic is glorious.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

No it isn't. Government involvement isn't increased in any way.

Clearly it is it will take more beauracrats to issue more licenses, that means more govt. which means more total involvement, now on a per capita basis the government won't be more involved, or rather that is to say I'm not suggesting govt will scrutinize marriage more closely but rather will be scrutinizing more marriages total. ;)

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed May 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Viritica wrote:"I'm going to get more involved in marriage by butting out and letting people marry who they want."

"I'm going to get more involved with religion by recognizing X as a religion."

This logic is glorious.

Because clearly recognizing a religion equates to massive government involvement in religion.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Well they do say, if youre married you owe x much in taxes and if you aren't you owe y much in taxes. Which is bullshit, marital status shouldn't be involved in determining tax liability but it is. Or how about divorce, the some people have deliberately put off divorce for similiar reasons. Because even no fault divorce can be costly and in a down economy there's not a lot of extra dough floating around for most people. ;)

Fine.

You should find a thread where that's the topic of conversation and make your argument there, or start one up if there's not one already available. As it is, however, that's not what we're discussing here.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed May 21, 2014 7:13 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:No it isn't. Government involvement isn't increased in any way.

Clearly it is it will take more beauracrats to issue more licenses, that means more govt. which means more total involvement, now on a per capita basis the government won't be more involved, or rather that is to say I'm not suggesting govt will scrutinize marriage more closely but rather will be scrutinizing more marriages total. ;)

Your "reasoning" is causing me physical pain.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Viritica wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:"I'm going to get more involved with religion by recognizing X as a religion."

This logic is glorious.

Because clearly recognizing a religion equates to massive government involvement in religion.

Banning religion is the solution. It's the only way to protect the First Amendment.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Viritica wrote:Because clearly recognizing a religion equates to massive government involvement in religion.

Banning religion is the solution. It's the only way to protect the First Amendment.

Ban Amendments while you're at it. Too much government is involved in Amendments.
Last edited by Viritica on Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Wed May 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Viritica wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:"I'm going to get more involved with religion by recognizing X as a religion."

This logic is glorious.

Da giberment's oppreshions iz hurrting us!
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Wed May 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Viritica wrote:

This logic is glorious.

Is there actually a published list of govt recognized religions? I'm genuinely curious. I thnk basically all govt does in recognizing religions is merely refrain from taxing them. When government recognizes marriages it has a complex view on how it taxes them as opposed to how it taxed the two unmarried individuals previously. Much more involvement there. ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General