NATION

PASSWORD

GOP wants to ban foodstamp-purchased junk food

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is this a good idea?

THIS IS A FUCKING GREAT IDEA! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT TOOK US SO LONG TO GET HERE!
42%
THIS! IS! A! BAD! IDEA!
33%
breasts
26%

Total votes : 293

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:06 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
A better society would...you do see where this is going, right?

I seem to see the starting point. It's a circle, isn't it? :p

More like an infinite series of nesting dolls, but circle will do.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:08 am

Big Jim P wrote:As opposed to being treated like children and being treated as too irresponsible to handle the freedom to improve their lot in life?

It isn't freedom to be told what food you are and aren't allowed to buy. That is just demeaning.

But to be clear, I'm no champion of the lower classes. I don't know what their lifestyles are like, but I imagine that it sucks. It is only relatively recently, that I've decided to stop attacking welfare programs when my criticism was proven wrong or misguided more often than not.

I don't think it is too much to ask to allow food stamps to be used for any type of food. That would still be fulfilling the intended purpose of SNAP while still allowing for some financial freedom. It is still a paltry budget to work with on a monthly basis, so it is not like those people will go out to eat at a restaurant everyday. Only one trip to a diner would eat up 25%+ of their food budget of $200 for the whole month.

How is someone supposed to learn how to spend wisely if they aren't allowed to spend poorly and experience a consequence of that? Welfare or food stamps still suck compared to a minimum wage job or better, so most people aren't going to be content to stay on food stamps indefinitely.

So if I happen to fall below a certain income level, should I not be allowed to purchase or enjoy the occasional $1 sundae from McDonalds?
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:15 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Everyone can if they learn the difference between luxuries and necessities.

Create a sample budget for $14 a day for San Francisco.

I can't find great data for San Francisco in particular, but here is a monthly budget for the United States, assuming a monthly average SNAP benefit of $133.41 (http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/18SNAPavg$PP.htm), and using average US retail food prices (http://www.bls.gov/ro3/apwe.htm).

Uncooked white long grain rice - 50 pounds ($36.05) (~29,600 calories, assuming around 592 calories in a pound cooked)
Uncooked dried beans, any type - 25 pounds ($35.45) (~37,500 calories, assuming 1,500 calories in a pound)
Uncooked whole chicken - 25 pounds ($37.10) (~11,250 calories, assuming 60 percent of a whole chicken's weight is in meat parts -- method of preparation, the different meats of the chicken and so on cause variations in the caloric content, I'm assuming an average of 750 calories per pound of meat, which is on the conservative side)
Money reserve for seasonings, oil, misc. foods - $24.81
Total calories - 78,350 / ~2,612 a day

I have not accounted for the cost of water, which I'm assuming you're probably going to get from the tap (on average, that's about $2.00 per 1,000 gallons)

I mean, it's doable, but this diet would probably be quite bland (preparing the foods in different ways and combinations would only go so far, you would need to buy small amounts of vegetables and other foods to increase variety), and the nutrition is not that great. If you're a diabetic or glucose intolerant, this budget wouldn't work.

If you bought this stuff only when it's on sale, you could probably do better. Another disadvantage of this budget is the large labor requirement for preparing the meals. This could be alleviated by preparing large portions and saving them in your fridge. You would need access to cooking facilities in order to make this work, a slow cooker and portable electric cooktop could work if you don't have anything to cook with.

If you do demanding physical work and are a young adult male, this won't provide enough calories (http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/U ... yTable.pdf), you would need to buy more stuff (which would start making your monthly reserve very thin). Another option is getting some food at a food pantry to supplement this.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 am

Saiwania wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:As opposed to being treated like children and being treated as too irresponsible to handle the freedom to improve their lot in life?

It isn't freedom to be told what food you are and aren't allowed to buy. That is just demeaning.

But to be clear, I'm no champion of the lower classes. I don't know what their lifestyles are like, but I imagine that it sucks. It is only relatively recently, that I've decided to stop attacking welfare programs when my criticism was proven wrong or misguided more often than not.

I don't think it is too much to ask to allow food stamps to be used for any type of food. That would still be fulfilling the intended purpose of SNAP while still allowing for some financial freedom. It is still a paltry budget to work with on a monthly basis, so it is not like those people will go out to eat at a restaurant everyday. Only one trip to a diner would eat up 25%+ of their food budget of $200 for the whole month.

How is someone supposed to learn how to spend wisely if they aren't allowed to spend poorly and experience a consequence of that? Welfare or food stamps still suck compared to a minimum wage job or better, so most people aren't going to be content to stay on food stamps indefinitely.

So if I happen to fall below a certain income level, should I not be allowed to purchase or enjoy the occasional $1 sundae from McDonalds?

Not on food stamps. You can't use them at restaurants.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:21 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Actually, more and more fast food places are accepting EBT cards, at least for the cash part of the payment. Obviously the food stamps are a no-go. In California, though, there's a pilot program that provides an exception, especially for homeless people.
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:22 am

Big Jim P wrote:Not on food stamps. You can't use them at restaurants.

What about fast food? That is usually the cheapest and lowest common denominator when it comes to served food.
In Florida, the following restaurants apparently allow the use of food stamps: KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and Papa Murphy's Pizza.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:27 am

Honestly, I'd be ok with this if it just covered cakes, biscuits, sweets and chocolate. Confectionery, basically. Empty calories. However, ready meals can be considered unhealthy, however at least they're cheap and nutritious.

I'd much prefer a carrot and stick approach to it. Instead of stamps having just a monetary value, the food type itself also provides a saving or additional cost. So fruits and vegetables would say, gain a 10% discount, whereas cakes would incur a 20% cost in stamps. Instead of forcing people to eat this, or eat that, give them incentives to decide for themselves.

I know it's basically the same principle, however if you really are interested in getting the most for your money, then being full surely has to be a better option than buying junk and going hungry, right? I think such a system should be based around refined sugar content, rather than fat. A lot of ready meals are high in fat, but are also nutritious. All the high refined sugar foods are almost entirely empty calorie junk.
Last edited by Lordieth on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:30 am

Saiwania wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:Not on food stamps. You can't use them at restaurants.

What about fast food? That is usually the cheapest and lowest common denominator when it comes to served food.

Fast food places are restaurants.

The actual restriction is on prepared foods.

Edit: I stand corrected.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:31 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Actually, more and more fast food places are accepting EBT cards, at least for the cash part of the payment. Obviously the food stamps are a no-go. In California, though, there's a pilot program that provides an exception, especially for homeless people.

I didn't know this.

And this DEFINITELY goes to far.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:32 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

[citation needed]
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:33 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I didn't know this.

Actually, it makes some sense, especially for homeless individuals, who don't have a place to prepare food, and for people who are working long shifts and may not have the energy to do so.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:35 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
I didn't know this.

Actually, it makes some sense, especially for homeless individuals, who don't have a place to prepare food, and for people who are working long shifts and may not have the energy to do so.

While those just above the qualifying income can't go out to eat at all?
Hail Satan!

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:36 am

Big Jim P wrote:I didn't know this. And this DEFINITELY goes to far.

What if I were to say that the businesses which accept food stamps actually want those customers? After all, it is money.
Sith Acolyte

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:38 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

If they're just above the qualifying income, then they can afford it as much as the people who are getting the stamps. The amount that you get lessens with the amount that you earn.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:41 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

If they're just above the qualifying income, then they can afford it as much as the people who are getting the stamps. The amount that you get lessens with the amount that you earn.

Well, we just argued the point around one level of luxury, I am not going to rehash the whole damn thing just because the level of luxury has increased.

Shit like this is why the slippery slope argument exists in the first place.
Hail Satan!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:43 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Well, we just argued the point around one level of luxury, I am not going to rehash the whole damn thing just because the level of luxury has increased.

Fair enough.

It's actually been quite enjoyable having this discussion with you, and I'd like to quit while we're both ahead. Have a good evening.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:44 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Fair enough.

It's actually been quite enjoyable having this discussion with you, and I'd like to quit while we're both ahead. Have a good evening.

Agreed. Good morning.
Hail Satan!

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Alyska wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
No, you're not.

If you were a libertarian, you'd be an advocate of socially-guaranteed income equality and opposed to capitalism altogether, because capitalism is a fundamentally authoritarian mode of socioeconomic organization. Libertarianism is and always has been communist and anti-capitalist in orientation.

So tell me--why do you hate freedom so much? Is it because the authoritarian ruling class promised you a boon in exchange for your loyal and slavish service?

Please spare us the left-wing bullshit. People who call themselves Libertarians simply don't buy into your conspiratorialist world view. And neither do I. I'm not a libertarian myself, but their ideology and world view is a lot closer to my own than yours is.

Sarcasm ----> *

Your head -->O

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Makes sense, but how much is the gap between what they make vs. what they get?
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

Trackeendy
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Trackeendy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm

I certainly like the idea, but he has to realize that healthy food costs more than junk food
Tra Ken Di, aka Tra Kleele, Tra Kho The, Pixolpak, Golid Guodzil, Rhurodin, Jhert, Mugucaris, K'arkado, Oro Mayomic.
"I was here before you, and I will surely outlive you" - Trackeendy's Kreator

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Tulmania wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Yep, more labor freed up to find or create productive jobs elsewhere, heck give the plants to toyota or honda nd let them run them, they seem to know how to make quality affordable cars that americans actualy want to buy. ;)

Actually as I recall Ford never got a bail out check. So atleast one American car company knows how to run a business.

Quite true, i believe i originally mentioned gm and chrysler specifically in an earlier post so yeah sorry for any confusion there.

Sibator
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sibator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Natair wrote:Sarcasm ----> *

Your head -->O

(You know me only person you know that is on NS, this is my new nation)

Bluth actually believes that, he's been here a while, he wasn't being sarcastic.
Call me Teddy.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

[/spoiler]

this plus the defense of your friends and neighbors at least to me seemed like a rebuttal to at least some implied charge that people were calling everyone on welfare uneducated, stupid jerks. But hey if I read too much into it then my apologies.

But let me ask you this shold people be able to buy whatever they watn with snap? Alcohol, tobacco etc. really and you wouldn't ahve a problem with that? I mean besides isn't there already an obesity epidemic in this country? michelle has pushed iniatives to clean up food in public schools (including ridculous calorie restrictions) are you opposed to that program as well? :eyebrow:

Why are you trying to deflect this onto the school lunch program? I understand that you're trying to make some sort of larger point regarding use of taxpayer funds, but it's an obvious attempt to distract from the fact that this is a simply terrible idea, for reasons that I've already stated.

And yes, you were essentially calling them uneducated and unintelligent, in that this entire proposal assumes that they can't make healthy decisions for themselves. But you didn't call them jerks. You seem to see them as children, and children aren't jerks, they're simply immature and need watching over by responsible adults such as yourself, am I right?

Well, I never said that they were unecducated or unintellignet either (though barring other disabilities you'd think well educated and intelligent peopel wouled be able to find good jobs). That said, I'm not really deflecting anything, for me this whole issue is about big govt all the way around. The fact that snap exists is big govt, the fact that feds subsidies distort the price of food is big govt, the fact that the feds are trying to micromanage school lunches is big govt (though I admit i don't have too much issue with the school lunch program as children are generally innocent in life), the fact that Republicans are micromanaging snap now is also big govt. What Im saying is that by in large my opinions on the matter are at least consistent, I would wonder if yours are as well?
As to whether or not they neee someone to watch over them and care for them, that seems somewhat self-evident given that they can't even provide food for themselves.

But you are avoiding my question, how do you feel about federal micromanagement of school lunch programs are you ok with that (keep in mind were talking even at the high school level). ;)

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Natair wrote:
Alyska wrote:
Please spare us the left-wing bullshit. People who call themselves Libertarians simply don't buy into your conspiratorialist world view. And neither do I. I'm not a libertarian myself, but their ideology and world view is a lot closer to my own than yours is.

Sarcasm ----> *

Your head -->O

Nope. Bluth is in no way sarcastic. He does have an extremely good point though, if you can get him to explain it.
piss

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:51 pm

A better solution would be to gradually phase in healthier foods.
Last edited by Libertarian California on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Libertarian California wrote:A better solution would be to gradually phase in healthier foods.

What do you mean phase in?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General