NATION

PASSWORD

"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the phrase "under God" be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes : 689

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:29 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Warda wrote:It dosn't. The minority is just vocal about it.

I don't think just a minority wants it removed.

*cough*
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Menassa wrote:It seems trivial to me, but if it upsets the majority of the population....

Constitutional violations are trivial?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

These words were added to the Pledge in 1954 due to Cold War-era political pressure to differentiate America from the "godless commies" of the Soviet Union. However, this addition is growing more and more controversial due to its conflict with the principle of separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution. Supporters of the phrase's inclusion claim that because most Americans are Christian, the phrase is a simple reflection of the will of the people. However, opponents of the phrase's presence in the Pledge argue that it is violates the constitutional principles of church-state separation and freedom of religion, as well as that the US is not a Christian nation.

My opinion:
The addition of "Under God" to the Pledge was unacceptable even considering the circumstances of the Cold War, and now that the Cold War has long been over, it is especially egregious. America is not meant to be a Christian nation, and this is especially true nowadays considering that more and more Americans are not following the Christian religion. Based on Pew Research data from 2012, 27 percent of Americans are not followers of Christianity. When the many non-Christians of America have to recite the Pledge, they are being forced to acknowledge a religious deity that they do not believe to exist. Also, the phrase's presence in the Pledge contradicts freedom of religion and separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution.

So, what is your opinion? Should the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance stay, or should it go?

mod permission to repost this thread granted here

You don't "have" to recite the pledge by the way.

Irrelevant. Having it in the pledge means that the government is endorsing it, which the 1st amendment forbids.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

These words were added to the Pledge in 1954 due to Cold War-era political pressure to differentiate America from the "godless commies" of the Soviet Union. However, this addition is growing more and more controversial due to its conflict with the principle of separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution. Supporters of the phrase's inclusion claim that because most Americans are Christian, the phrase is a simple reflection of the will of the people. However, opponents of the phrase's presence in the Pledge argue that it is violates the constitutional principles of church-state separation and freedom of religion, as well as that the US is not a Christian nation.

My opinion:
The addition of "Under God" to the Pledge was unacceptable even considering the circumstances of the Cold War, and now that the Cold War has long been over, it is especially egregious. America is not meant to be a Christian nation, and this is especially true nowadays considering that more and more Americans are not following the Christian religion. Based on Pew Research data from 2012, 27 percent of Americans are not followers of Christianity. When the many non-Christians of America have to recite the Pledge, they are being forced to acknowledge a religious deity that they do not believe to exist. Also, the phrase's presence in the Pledge contradicts freedom of religion and separation of church and state as outlined in the Constitution.

So, what is your opinion? Should the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance stay, or should it go?

You don't have to, but the US is a secular nation. It should have a secular pledge and motto.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Menassa wrote:It seems trivial to me, but if it upsets the majority of the population....

Constitutional violations are trivial?

To me.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Genivaria wrote:*googles*.........
.. :palm: Goddamnit Bush....and Obama!? GODDAMNIT!!! *facedesk*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hous ... rtnerships

I had never heard of this before...

One more reason why Separation of Church and State hardly exists here.

Meh, honestly not seeing the problem with it, as long as monies don't go to actual faith events/evangelizing.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Vazdania wrote:

My opinion:

It's still government sponsorship of belief in a God. America isn't an inherently Christian country, it is a secular one and doesn't live under the rules of God.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

My opinion:

How about we just don't say the Pledge. It means nothing to a lot of young people, and some people don't even know what they're saying. However, if we do continue to say it, a person should have the choice to say "Under God" or not to say "Under God".
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Why does it have to upset a majority? It has the potential to upset 20-27% of the population, isn't that bad enough?

Doesn't seem fair, I mean in a society where the majority makes a decision... but that's nitty-gritty business.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Warda wrote:

*cough*

I'd like a link to that study, please.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Warda wrote:

*cough*

Well, that's a lot more people than I expected who would mind if it was removed.

Regardless it's unconstitutional.
Last edited by The Scientific States on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Heh. I recall in HS writing a letter to President Bush referring to it as a "de facto Department of Faith" (it was a school assignment) and receiving a letter saying thanks for the support and explained to me what it did. ^.^

Not sure I understand. Were you supporting it?

No I criticized it. Which is the comical thing. I'm not even sure they really read my letter. lol

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Vazdania wrote:You don't "have" to recite the pledge by the way.

That doesn't make it any less of a violation of the Constitution.

And, for that matter, a lot of kids don't know that. My district says that the pledge is voluntary, but that's the exception rather than the rule. And even if it was the rule, there are places you can get bullied for not saying it—for instance, religious and conservative areas like the one I grew up in.

On March 11, 2010, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance in the case of Newdow v. Rio Linda Union School District. In a 2–1 decision, the appellate court ruled that the words were of a "ceremonial and patriotic nature" and did not constitute an establishment of religion.

And yes, I was both verbally and physically attacked for not reciting the pledge.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 pm

The Union of the West wrote:

My opinion:

How about we just don't say the Pledge. It means nothing to a lot of young people, and some people don't even know what they're saying. However, if we do continue to say it, a person should have the choice to say "Under God" or not to say "Under God".

Sure lets get rid of the pledge in general I agree with that.
Pledges of Allegiance should not be made so trivial as to have minors compelled to make it.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Genivaria wrote:Not sure I understand. Were you supporting it?

No I criticized it. Which is the comical thing. I'm not even sure they really read my letter. lol

Of course they didn't. They probably only had a secretary scan the first few lines to figure out what you were talking about, then sent a form reply.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Warda wrote:

*cough*

Look polls are irrelevant when it's topics like this, but war, healthcare, gun control, abortion. We should follow the polls! And now gay rights, but only after that 52% threshold was made.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Genivaria wrote:Not sure I understand. Were you supporting it?

Sounds about right.

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Warda wrote:Image
*cough*

I'd like a link to that study, please.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/11551/americans-indivisible-pledge-allegiance.aspx
*Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,001 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted March 26-28, 2004. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±3 percentage points.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Vazdania wrote:You don't "have" to recite the pledge by the way.

It's still government sponsorship of belief in a God. America isn't an inherently Christian country, it is a secular one and doesn't live under the rules of God.

Not according to the 9th Circuit court of appeals.
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Yes, it should be removed.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

The Union of the West wrote:

My opinion:

However, if we do continue to say it, a person should have the choice to say "Under God" or not to say "Under God".

People can say it if they want, but it doesn't have to be in the official text.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:Yes, it should be removed.

Not really.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Geilinor wrote:It's still government sponsorship of belief in a God. America isn't an inherently Christian country, it is a secular one and doesn't live under the rules of God.

Not according to the 9th Circuit court of appeals.

Even if it isn't ruled unconstitutional, I still think it should be removed out of respect to atheists, secularists, and polytheists.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Warda wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:I'd like a link to that study, please.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/11551/americans-indivisible-pledge-allegiance.aspx
*Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,001 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted March 26-28, 2004. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±3 percentage points.

That poll is almost ten years old.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Vazdania wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Yes, it should be removed.

Not really.

Yes really. It's unconstitutional and should be removed.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General