NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Bans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58 am

Mossbergia wrote:i like my firearms and i dont like our "wonderful" president and im white to top it all off im a dumb redneck yall no where this is going.

You're going to post ignorant crap that makes intelligent, responsible gun owners look bad?
Last edited by Dyakovo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

United Prefectures of Appia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Big Jim P wrote:I am still wondering just who is going to provide for the security of myself, my property and my family if guns were banned.

And there's that stupid and idiotic notion once again that somehow, gun control advocates are demanding a ban on all guns. Sheesh.
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Caninope wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:
A right to 3 guns would be an acceptable compromise.

Except it's not.

Whatever. I was talking to Big Jim P, not to you.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Caninope wrote:Except it's not.

So now we need to dictate on how many of a legal product that can be in ones possession? Why stop at weapons, lets expand this to vehicles, booze, and televisions.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 pm

United Prefectures of Appia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:I am still wondering just who is going to provide for the security of myself, my property and my family if guns were banned.

And there's that stupid and idiotic notion once again that somehow, gun control advocates are demanding a ban on all guns. Sheesh.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread happens to be about guns being banned... Also, Sen Feinstein's proposal does call for guns being banned.
In addition, there have been people advocating banning all guns in this thread.
Last edited by Dyakovo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Ailiailia wrote:

There are no private conversations when you post on the forum.
Married to Koshka

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
United Prefectures of Appia wrote:And there's that stupid and idiotic notion once again that somehow, gun control advocates are demanding a ban on all guns. Sheesh.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread happens to be about guns being banned... Also, Sen Feinstein's proposal does call for guns being banned.

Saying "Gun Ban" is far too vague. It could either mean repealing the 2nd Amendment or simply banning specific type of firearms, in this case the assault-weapon happens to be a popular target. As for Feinstein's proposal, it's to reinstate a new assault-weapons ban and improve on removing potential loopholes for gun makers to exploit that was present in the 1994 FAWB. Either way, this isn't in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment, and certainly, all notions that Obama wants to take people's guns away is very asinine. But don't expect to convince gun nuts otherwise.
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
Alowwvia wrote:
And the people in chains of command are infallible? Are they working to defend me at all times? Will they stop someone from taking my life, will they put THEIR life on the line for ME?

Not nessesarily infallible, but a hell of a lot better than John P. Civilian in most if not all cases. That is rather the point of them, yes.

Most people aren't. Myself included.

But those who are? That's why we have Class III Licenses. So those who are not can get autos

Hey, me too, what a coincidence.

Are you ex-Military/Law Enforcement? If not, then you don't. And you don't have superiors and hundreds of armed people around you constantly to enforce those rule.

Like me.

No, not like you. You don't need an automatic weapon, and if you happen to be insane, then the harm outweighs the negligable benefit

So we have to punish the majority for the few people who are stupid, then? Everyone needs to suffer?

The needs of the potential victims of gun violence outweigh the wants of a few people, yes. Though I wouldn't call not being allowed to own an automatic weapon suffering in any sense of the word.

You don't have the authority or knowledge of me to say that. You know nothing about me.

No, I don't know anything about you. Which means I must consider the possibility that you are a crazy wacko. Oh, and assuming that everyone in the US is identical to yourself is a fallacy, by the by

The police will not instantly show up and put their life on the line the second I need them too. They aren't magic, they aren't angels, and they aren't always self-sacrificing or even always great shots. I can't count on police, though I do respect them and recognize them as necessary.

Not always, no. But the chances of you actually needing them too? Slim to none. Even less if people are not walking around with automatic weapons. And in the case of needing to? I hardly think you'd need an automatic.

This is also true.

I disagree, I disagree a lot.

The only thing you need an automatic weapon for is suppressing fire. That's something only the military and law enforcement needs. All you need is a decent pistol to protect yourself from attack by most if not all criminals.

"durr u think ur an akshun heroo lol"

Then stop acting like you do, and get a grip on reality.

Jesus Christ, all of this argument for you to end up AGREEING with me? holy shit

I never said unqualified people should be able to own weapons. I argue AGAINST that all the time.

Well, why didn't you say so? Seemed to me you were arguing for any Tom, Dick or Harry being allowed to own an M249 because teh ebil gubernments. But, if we agree that regulation is required, and that the current regulation of automatic weapons is sufficent, then your arguement is rather moot...

Responses in red.

What class 3 license?
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Mossbergia wrote:i like my firearms and i dont like our "wonderful" president and im white to top it all off im a dumb redneck yall no where this is going.

You're going to post ignorant veal that makes intelligent, responsible gun owners look bad?

Its obviously a puppet account.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:You're going to post ignorant veal that makes intelligent, responsible gun owners look bad?

That's part of the reason I did nothing more than mock the poster.

Dyakovo wrote:In case you hadn't noticed, this thread happens to be about guns being banned... Also, Sen Feinstein's proposal does call for guns being banned.

Saying "Gun Ban" is far too vague. It could either mean repealing the 2nd Amendment or simply banning specific type of firearms, in this case the assault-weapon happens to be a popular target. As for Feinstein's proposal, it's to reinstate a new assault-weapons ban and improve on removing potential loopholes for gun makers to exploit that was present in the 1994 FAWB. Either way, this isn't in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment, and certainly, all notions that Obama wants to take people's guns away is very asinine. But don't expect to convince gun nuts otherwise.

Dyakovo wrote:In addition, there have been people advocating banning all guns in this thread.
Last edited by Dyakovo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Married to Koshka

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

That's part of the reason I did nothing more than mock the poster.

One does not simply mock into Dyakovo.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Dyakovo wrote:In case you hadn't noticed, this thread happens to be about guns being banned... Also, Sen Feinstein's proposal does call for guns being banned.

Given the Supreme Court's rulings in DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago, an AWB may indeed be unconstitutional.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Caninope wrote:Given the Supreme Court's rulings in DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago, an AWB may indeed be unconstitutional.

And if not, would that mean Conservatives may have to grudge once more to blame Bush again? :P Cause that's what happened the last time when one Conservative Supreme Court judge ruled in favor of Obamacare.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Caninope wrote:Given the Supreme Court's rulings in DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago, an AWB may indeed be unconstitutional.

And if not, would that mean Conservatives may have to grudge once more to blame Bush again? :P Cause that's what happened the last time when one Conservative Supreme Court judge ruled in favor of Obamacare.

I doubt such a thing would happen. The Supreme Court's ruling in DC v Heller was based off the availability and widespread use of handguns in America; if anything, "assault weapons" are just as common.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Caninope wrote:I doubt such a thing would happen.

You're probably right though, as SCOTUS is primarily Conservative, so no surprise there, just as they ruled in 2008 that the 2nd Amendment meant individual rights, instead of rights towards militia.

if anything, "assault weapons" are just as common.

I wouldn't be surprise if that term gets redefined even more just to circumvent around gun control reforms.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm

It may be a 2nd amendment violation, Heller is not particularly clear on what the standard is for 2nd amendment cases.
As the most commonly purchased rifle between 2004 and now is the AR-15, an FAWB may ban the purchase of weapons in common use. Common use is the standard set forth in Heller.

As for why gun owners deride a renewed FAWB as an attempt to ban guns piecemeal is because an "Assault weapon" is no more dangerous than any other semi automatic. The only logical conclusion anyone who knows anything about Sports rifle can reach is that the FAWB is an attempt to ban class of guns with the goal of banning other classes later.

That said he lack of rational reason for a renewed FAWB and the common use of the weapons today I think the current court would rule the ban unconstitutional.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Ailiailia wrote:

Caninope is right.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why stop at weapons, lets expand this to vehicles, booze, and televisions.

Vehicles, booze, and televisions are not weapons, guns are. Big difference there.

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Caninope wrote:

Given the Supreme Court's rulings in DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago, an AWB may indeed be unconstitutional.

With the precedent of the '94 AWB, I think this legislation would be ruled constitutional, though the bill's effective banning of semi-auto handguns would get a long look in light of SCOTUS's recent rulings.
Last edited by Idaho Conservatives on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why stop at weapons, lets expand this to vehicles, booze, and televisions.

Vehicles, booze, and televisions are not weapons, guns are. Big difference there.

Matters not of the difference, all of these are legal products to own, if you start dictating on certain number legal products a person can own, where does it stop?
Why does someone get to determine a set number of something that I can own and purchase with MY money? I reject such a notion, I can determine all on my own on how much of certain product to own without any interference or guidance, thank you very much!
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:Matters not of the difference, all of these are legal products to own, if you start dictating on certain number legal products a person can own, where does it stop?
Why does someone get to determine a set number of something that I can own and purchase with MY money? I reject such a notion, I can determine all on my own on how much of certain product to own without any interference or guidance, thank you very much!

It does matter. Weapons are design to kill, destroy life! Cars are not designed as weapons, they are designed to take you from point A to point B, period! Stop trying to compare apples to oranges. I've seen that rhetoric crap far too many times.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:Matters not of the difference, all of these are legal products to own, if you start dictating on certain number legal products a person can own, where does it stop?

It does matter. Weapons are design to kill, destroy life! Cars are not designed as weapons, they are designed to take you from point A to point B, period! Stop trying to compare apples to oranges. I've seen that rhetoric crap far too many times.

Cars kill more people than guns. By a HUGE factor. If you really wanted to protect life by banning shit you know nothing about, it would be more effective to ban them than guns.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Idaho Conservatives wrote:

With the precedent of the '94 AWB, I think this legislation would be ruled constitutional, though the bill's effective banning of semi-auto handguns would get a long look in light of SCOTUS's recent rulings.

This time around it would be ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL, the ruling would be based on Scalia's writing from the Heller ruling.
Since an AR or AK's or any other variant of semi-auto sporting rifle would fall under the common use.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Caninope wrote:I doubt such a thing would happen.

You're probably right though, as SCOTUS is primarily Conservative,

It's hard to apply the terms "conservative" and "liberal" in regards to the court unless one is referring to Thomas or (arguably) Scalia.

so no surprise there, just as they ruled in 2008 that the 2nd Amendment meant individual rights, instead of rights towards militia.

Which is not a bad thing, imo.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Idaho Conservatives wrote:

SCOTUS, AFAIK, never ruled on the '94 AWB.

SCOTUS has also never hesitated in striking down laws either.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General