NATION

PASSWORD

Texan secession

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Texas become independent assuming the movement gained popular support?

Yes
41%
No
47%
Maybe
3%
It should gain more independence but not secede
7%
Other (elaborate)
3%

Total votes : 224

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:
For that to be true the Texas secession convention would have had to have federal approval which it did not, Making any documents drawn up at the time null and void in the United States.Just as any governing documents drawn up by the confederacy was rendered null and void as the confederacy was not a legit government.

Welcome to America *man locks door and two armed guards point gun at you* Now stay here like a good state and don't secede. You are one of us now.

Supremacy clause is a bitch, eh?
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Irentian
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Neu California wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:What if instead all the Texans immigrated to another country?
and nobody wanted to move there? what would you do then? force them to come back to Texas?

The odds of this happening are so remote, that it's barely worth considering

Let us anyways.
War is what changes the world. Yet, the world tries to change war. So,I ask you, where is the war that will change us?

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:
For that to be true the Texas secession convention would have had to have federal approval which it did not, Making any documents drawn up at the time null and void in the United States.Just as any governing documents drawn up by the confederacy was rendered null and void as the confederacy was not a legit government.

Welcome to America *man locks door and two armed guards point gun at you* Now stay here like a good state and don't secede. You are one of us now.

That sums it up.

You think states have rights? Oh man, what world are you living in? This is America, brother, the states are our bitches.
Last edited by Agymnum on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:

It's our own fault, we should have read the fine print when they told us that there was no leaving the Union once you joined.But yes that sum's it up rather nicely.
Last edited by Zathganastan on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Irentian wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:He wouldn't be drunk, he's a moonshiner, and moonshiners can't afford to lose any of their product from drinking it.

Gives me more reason to burn his truck. Moonshine is illegal, and i'll burn those hillbillies for it. :twisted:

Moonshine is not illegal, they sell it in Gatlingburg TN. It's illegal to sell it illegally. XD
"Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life." Bertolt Brecht

Irentian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Neu California wrote:The odds of this happening are so remote, that it's barely worth considering

Same as Texan succession but we are on this topic aren't we?
Furthermore it is highly unlikely that Texas will secede, so why prevent it?

Ever hear the saying it started as an idea, then spread to a dream, which lead to a war? That's why!
War is what changes the world. Yet, the world tries to change war. So,I ask you, where is the war that will change us?

Nobodishal
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobodishal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 pm

Here's my (short-ish) opinion as a born and raised Texan.

Texas has the infrastructure and resources to succeed in the case they secede, but the USA would NOT accept Texas becoming independent, nor would it improve our economic position. What would work o our advantage would be the federal government using ONLY the powers constitutionally delegated to it. Not that they'd do that.

(Off topic: If Puerto Rico gets accepted as a state, and Texas becomes an independent nation/US territory, the US can keep it's flag as-is.)

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Zathganastan wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

It's our own fault, we should have read the fine print when they told us that there was no leaving the Union once you joined.But yes that sum's it up rather nicely.

Agreed.

Irentian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Irentian wrote:
Gives me more reason to burn his truck. Moonshine is illegal, and i'll burn those hillbillies for it. :twisted:

Moonshine is not illegal, they sell it in Gatlingburg TN. It's illegal to sell it illegally. XD

No other state allows it, well none in my area, because if you brew it wrong, it turns into a toxin that WILL kill you, but then again, TN was the birth place of hillbillies

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Nobodishal wrote:Here's my (short-ish) opinion as a born and raised Texan.

Texas has the infrastructure and resources to succeed in the case they secede, but the USA would NOT accept Texas becoming independent, nor would it improve our economic position. What would work o our advantage would be the federal government using ONLY the powers constitutionally delegated to it. Not that they'd do that.

(Off topic: If Puerto Rico gets accepted as a state, and Texas becomes an independent nation/US territory, the US can keep it's flag as-is.)

Most of that infastructure is federal, which is reason enough for war.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Neu California wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

Wait, wrong clause. The Territorial clause is what I was thinking of
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Irentian wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:
Same as Texan succession but we are on this topic aren't we?
Furthermore it is highly unlikely that Texas will secede, so why prevent it?

Ever hear the saying it started as an idea, then spread to a dream, which lead to a war? That's why!

It isn't going to happen in modern day, because guess who is calling for succession? The people! Not the leaders of the state! No matter how many petitions are signed or protests happen! It just won't work.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

New Sapienta wrote:

Most of that infastructure is federal, which is reason enough for war.

Yeah. See, it's like this.

Texas has all these sandwiches the Feds gave them. What's that, Texas doesn't want to be friends with the Feds anymore?

We're gonna need those sandwiches back for our other friends. Sorry, bro.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:

I'm sorry, I forgot the part where America said "hey, we want out of the UK" and England was like "No prob, best of luck to ya".

Secessions tend to end in conflict. And last time it happened in America, the secessor started the conflict. So you'll understand if we're not to thrilled of the prospect of it happening again.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Irentian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Neu California wrote:
Neu California wrote:

Wait, wrong clause. The Territorial clause is what I was thinking of

that's for territories like virgin islands, or puerto rico. We talkin bout state.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

I'm sorry, I forgot the part where America said "hey, we want out of the UK" and England was like "No prob, best of luck to ya".

Secessions tend to end in conflict. And last time it happened in America, the secessor started the conflict. So you'll understand if we're not to thrilled of the prospect of it happening again.

Just saying, but England only let us go because we put up a decent fight.

Now, Texas vs. U.S. is just unfair. Texas would get rolled.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 pm

As a Texan I say hell no.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Texas has the infrastructure and resources to succeed in the case they secede.

:rofl:
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Irentian wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

No other state allows it, well none in my area, because if you brew it wrong, it turns into a toxin that WILL kill you, but then again, TN was the birth place of hillbillies

I take that offensive, for one, Knoxville is a largely electronic city. Nashville is the birthplace of rock and country.
I was born in Knoxville.

Also, Moonshiners do a better job at making it than most legal companies do.
Furthermore, if you made beer wrong, you could get sick as well

Negaza
Secretary

Founded: Aug 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Negaza » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 pm

We could use less racists and fat people. Not like they're all fat and racist, but they are the most racist and fat state in the US.

Irentian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

Also, I believe only around 30-40% supported the rebels, the rest supported britian or didn't care. Also, look at south sudan. Wanted to leave..... and ended in a civil war. Finally, gain their independence.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Texas has the infrastructure and resources to succeed in the case they secede.

:rofl:

An amusing myth is it not?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Just saying, but England only let us go because we put up a decent fight.

Now, Texas vs. U.S. is just unfair. Texas would get rolled.

Nah, England lost because their soldiers had less on the line, plus the obvious issues of being so disjointed from their central leadership. Oh, and France's navy.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

Exactly what I was implying, that it isn't right to use excessive force to keep a state here.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 pm

If Texas wishes to leave you better just let us.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General