NATION

PASSWORD

Evolution

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in evolution?

Yes
87%
No, because I am a creationist
6%
No, because I have other contrasting religious beliefs
2%
No, because I do not think there is enough evidence for it
2%
No, for a reason not mentioned here
3%

Total votes : 326

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Evolution

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Barfobulville wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
So - even a LARGE majority of Christians officially favours the theory of evolution over Biblical creationism.

I don't think they favor evolution over Biblical creationism. I don't think that they are mutually exclusive, I would venture to say that neither do the Christians that accept evolution. The belief that God created the world is a central part of all Christianity.

The Roman Catholics do...
They have acknowledged that the ToE is the best explanation. Also they do not hold the story of Genesis to be the literal truth.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Chetssaland wrote:I dont just believe that God created everything. I also believe that he could have made the creatures evolve.

And what do you mean its not us I have to impress. I know that but I dont get where you were going with that.

So now you do believe in Evolution. Good for you.

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Galloism wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:And what do you mean its not us I have to impress. I know that but I dont get where you were going with that.

Well let's think of it this way. Let's suppose you were working tech support, and you got a belligerent caller. The caller screams at you, calls you abusive things, hell he's an asshole. Therefore, being the little minimum-wage earning cubicle dweller you are, you let all your pent up frustration out at him and screamed back.

Now, in the one sense, the guy making the call was being an asshole, and you could always say that he was worse than you.

However, you're still fired, because you failed to live up the company line - courtesy and friendliness.

OK got you. But I wasnt trying to say I was better than you guys, even if thats what I said

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Chetssaland, just let it go. You have to pick your battles.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Chetssaland wrote:To Alma Mater: I believ that God would have created the world because well, he can. Its kind of a faith thing.

Why not create the whole universe, and why not do it in the form of a "big bang"?

Chetssaland wrote:To be honest I havent read all of the bible and I dont fully understand all of it that I read.

Your not alone -- I have read the Bible and a lot of it seems to be complete nonsense.

Chetssaland wrote:And who cares about punctuation. u all no wat i mene. Yes I just did that to make him mad.

That isn't necessary. Punctuation does help a lot and if you break to many rules of grammar you become unintelligible and ambiguous.

Barfobulville wrote:I don't think they favor evolution over Biblical creationism. I don't think that they are mutually exclusive, I would venture to say that neither do the Christians that accept evolution. The belief that God created the world is a central part of all Christianity.

Err, literal Biblical creationism does conflict with evolution and other bits of science. And I wouldn't class it as a central part of Christianity (but you know, ask 100 Christians what it means to be Christians and you'll get 100 different answers).
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:I dont just believe that God created everything. I also believe that he could have made the creatures evolve.

And what do you mean its not us I have to impress. I know that but I dont get where you were going with that.

Well no not exactly. Im not a full believer in evolution. I mean the animals did change and adapt, but I still believe that God created humans and didnt have apes evolve into them. You know I believe in the Adam and Eve thing.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Barfobulville wrote:Chetssaland, just let it go. You have to pick your battles.

You should pick battles you can win. A creationist trying to argue against evolution will lose every time.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:35 pm

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:I don't think they favor evolution over Biblical creationism. I don't think that they are mutually exclusive, I would venture to say that neither do the Christians that accept evolution. The belief that God created the world is a central part of all Christianity.

Err, literal Biblical creationism does conflict with evolution and other bits of science. And I wouldn't class it as a central part of Christianity (but you know, ask 100 Christians what it means to be Christians and you'll get 100 different answers).

I didn't say literal Biblical creationism. If you ask 100 Christians whether they believe God created the world, they will say yes.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

Well no not exactly. Im not a full believer in evolution. I mean the animals did change and adapt, but I still believe that God created humans and didnt have apes evolve into them. You know I believe in the Adam and Eve thing.

So you believe all of the evidence for evolution, except the transitional forms that lead to man? How curiously selective.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Khadgar wrote:

You should pick battles you can win. A creationist trying to argue against evolution will lose every time.

How so? The evolutionist cant just pull out full proof that evolution is real. This is just a battle that cant really be won or lost because we probably will never know.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

How so? The evolutionist cant just pull out full proof that evolution is real. This is just a battle that cant really be won or lost because we probably will never know.

I can't prove that any of you exist. Proof is an impossibility outside of mathematical semantics. The preponderance of evidence greatly supports evolution. It's an argument that a creationist cannot win.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Barfobulville wrote:I didn't say literal Biblical creationism. If you ask 100 Christians whether they believe God created the world, they will say yes.

Literal creationism is the only one I can actually talk about off-hand, because it is well-defined. Feel free to clarify on what you were referring to. Also, if I'm included then 99 of them will say yes, and I will say "Well, indirectly. I believe He/She created the universe, and thus indirectly the world.".

Chetssaland wrote:How so? The evolutionist cant just pull out full proof that evolution is real. This is just a battle that cant really be won or lost because we probably will never know.

Direct observation of evolution not good enough? We do know, currently, that evolution occurs.

Also, please do not use the word "evolutionist" -- you make it sound like it's a belief system.
Last edited by The Tofu Islands on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Khadgar wrote:

So you believe all of the evidence for evolution, except the transitional forms that lead to man? How curiously selective.

Maybe he's being naturally selective. I apologize.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Why would I just let it go and say, "OK you guys win. Evolution is real." Im not trying to force them to believe what I believe but am sticking up for my religion.

Dragontide
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragontide » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm

To those that deny the big bang:

Your soon in for a big shock now that the Hubble telescope is fixed. And results from the LHC are going to turn a few heads too. (late 2010)
"The American way of life is non-negotiable" President George H. W. Bush (41) 1992 Earth Summit

"When you don't negotiate the circumstances that are sent to you by the universe, you automaticlly get assigned a new negotiating partner... Named 'REALITY'. And it will negotiate for you. You don't even have to be in the room."
James Howard Kunstler (writer)

The Ophelias
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ophelias » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Barfobulville wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

Why are you apologizing for him/her? You didn't espouse the weirdness he/she did. It's not your fault.
Ophelia you must remember! Veronica's America is not like--- is not like Charlotte's, one to savor cosmic flavor then Alison whispers, "Remember! Change waltzes in with her sister Pain, waiting for you to send her away. Wish her well, break the chain, break the chain!" I feel you, sweet Ophelia...

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Chetssaland wrote:

Why would I just let it go and say, "OK you guys win. Evolution is real." Im not trying to force them to believe what I believe but am sticking up for my religion.

Were evolution in any way shape or form an attack on your faith that would be admirable (to a point), but since we've demonstrated that it's not...

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:44 pm

The Ophelias wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

Why are you apologizing for him/her? You didn't espouse the weirdness he/she did. It's not your fault.

It's a joke, apologizing for using Natural Selection to describe someone who's picking and choosing what parts of nature to believe in.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:44 pm

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:I didn't say literal Biblical creationism. If you ask 100 Christians whether they believe God created the world, they will say yes.

Literal creationism is the only one I can actually talk about off-hand, because it is well-defined. Feel free to clarify on what you were referring to. Also, if I'm included then 99 of them will say yes, and I will say "Well, indirectly. I believe He/She created the universe, and thus indirectly the world.".

Chetssaland wrote:How so? The evolutionist cant just pull out full proof that evolution is real. This is just a battle that cant really be won or lost because we probably will never know.

Direct observation of evolution not good enough? We do know, currently, that evolution occurs.

Also, please do not use the word "evolutionist" -- you make it sound like it's a belief system.

I couldnt find a better fitting word so I just used it. And thats adaptations that occur. Well I got to go, so dont have too much fun without me kids.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Chetssaland wrote:

See, the things is, there doesn't need to be any conflict between christianity and the ToE, they are not mutually exclusive.

The Ophelias wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:
Khadgar wrote:So you believe all of the evidence for evolution, except the transitional forms that lead to man? How curiously selective.

I read that as him apologizing for the bad joke...
Last edited by Dyakovo on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Are you asking if I believe in a common ancestor, if I believe that things evolve, if I believe in survival of the fittest or all of those or a combo of those or something completely different and unrelated (like the big bang)?
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Chetssaland wrote:

No, I meant stop arguing about grammar and punctuation. Argue against evolution as much as you see fit. However, I don't plan to assist you.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Chetssaland wrote:Why would I just let it go and say, "OK you guys win. Evolution is real." Im not trying to force them to believe what I believe but am sticking up for my religion.

Because that seems to the case? At some point you should give up a lost cause. It's fine to stick up for your religion, but if your beliefs include things that seem likely to be wrong then it's perfectly reasonable for people to criticise them.

Chetssaland wrote:I couldnt find a better fitting word so I just used it. And thats adaptations that occur. Well I got to go, so dont have too much fun without me kids.

Evolution is adaptation. Specifically, adaptations that stick around and benefit the species.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:46 pm

For the record, I was apologizing for the horrible natural selection pun.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Smunkeeville wrote:Are you asking if I believe in a common ancestor, if I believe that things evolve, if I believe in survival of the fittest or all of those or a combo of those or something completely different and unrelated (like the big bang)?

Evolution usually only refers to common ancestry of related species and adaptation. Only people to throw in the Big Bang et cetera are usually ID proponents or Creationists. They do this to muddy the issue when they're getting their asses rhetorically kicked.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General