NATION

PASSWORD

Why are People Homophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Arborlawn wrote:People are homophobic because homosexuals are not components of normal society.

Yeah, actually they are...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Sons of Thomas
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sons of Thomas » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I love when some one posts on this thread and then gets harrasment for their opinion. :?

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:27 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Irish Marchlands wrote:Actually I'd like a source too, I'm Catholic and last I checked we were well under 1.8 billion.

MIne is the site adherents.com.
But, as I said, the figures there are from 2005.

I got similar numbers when I tried searching on the net but the survey dated back to 1997 that said there were approximately 1.09 billion catholics and 1 billion protestants not including denominations
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Euronion wrote:I am feeling resentment towards you right now because you keep on calling me a bigot

There's a real easy solution for that... Stop acting like a bigot...
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:1st off. You seem to be the one who is ignorant. I recommend a rapid removal of fox news from your life and a hefty dose of reality.

2ndly, you seem to have the story backwards. Alot of people are 100% against gays have ANY rights, and they have been doing a very good (and annoyingly bigoted) job of stopping gay rights from being anymore then a wish for gays.

for your information, I watch BBC America World News and PBS News Hour for my news stations because they are unbaised

let me give you a list of some basic rights guranteed by the constitution

1. Free speach
2. The right to bear arms
3. The freedom of religion
4. the right to peacfully protest
5. no unlawful searches or seisures
6. Habeaus Corpus
7. Innocnet until proven guilty

both gays and straight people have these rights, they are both allowed to serve in the military, ect.

Marriage is a basic civil right.
Married to Koshka

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:If you're not gay than I wasn't addressing you; kay?

I am quite lighthearted sometimes. Does that make me gay ?

And I am also a gay man in the 17th century meaning of the word ;)

You could be a dandy or fop?

I'm a lighthearted fellow myself. I take time to smell the flowers and I love kitties and butterflies. :meh:

Not kidding actually.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Arborlawn wrote:People are homophobic because homosexuals are not components of normal society.

Yeah, actually they are...

Normal merely means "average". Contrary to how many people use it, it is therefor neither negative nor positive. A genius is not normal, nor is an imbecile.

Homosexuals form a minority, just like gingers, left-handed people, nobel prize winners, Olympic athlethes, massmurderers and honest lawyers. They are not normal ;)
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
MIne is the site adherents.com.
But, as I said, the figures there are from 2005.

I got similar numbers when I tried searching on the net but the survey dated back to 1997 that said there were approximately 1.09 billion catholics and 1 billion protestants not including denominations

Your report is even older then the other guy's. Does anyone have a contemporary source?
For RP purposes my nation has 16 million people.
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

The Irish Marchlands Factbook
Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

Economic Left/Right: 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.49
Le political test: http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graphic2/169329_eng.jpg
Just call me Mr. Righty McRightright

Anarcho Florida
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarcho Florida » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Ignorance. That's really it.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
I am quite lighthearted sometimes. Does that make me gay ?

And I am also a gay man in the 17th century meaning of the word ;)

You could be a dandy or fop?

Hmm. Doesn't quite get the womanizer aspect right... nor do I dress really posh.
But ok, this is a sidestep.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:30 pm

The Yoke of Oppression wrote:
Euronion wrote:
If you want to live in a society where being gay is openly celebrated and seen as wonderful move to Sweden

NO! YOU MOVE TO IRAN! America must remain the same forever, and anybody who thinks that we should change the laws should just LEAVE and go to a country that already reflects their values! Representative government is pointless! Change is scary! NO!

EDIT: I want my binky...

*Throws out Yokes's binky*
:p
Married to Koshka

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:
Sociobiology wrote: who is trying to change your attitude, allowing gay marriage is about changing the law, you can keep your beliefs.
and of course you can forcibly change someones morality, that's what laws do, make everyone live by the same rules. You are arguing I should be allowed to murder people if I happen to think it is morally acceptable.

No, laws dealing with criminal acts don't change morality so much as they attempt to uphold the rights of a person not to be harmed. Your rights end where my nose begins. That's merely about order in a society.

so how does letting consenting adults marry harm you or your rights?
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Would you oppose making it right, provided it stays equal ?

no I wouldn't oppose making it right, but the post I was orginally responding to was saying that gays don't have equal rights,which they do

No, actually they don't... As I have already demonstrated ITT.
Married to Koshka

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

considering homosexuals make up 12-16% of every culture ever studied I would say they will likely still be gay.
there are very very few things that consistent over all cultures.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Euronion wrote:
Johz wrote:Imagine, Euronion, if the law changed. Imagine if heterosexual marriages were banned, and homosexual marriages were the only accepted form of marriage. Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?

1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world and we rely on marraige for mostly reporduction and the stable raising of a child with both contributors to the gene pool present.
2. I would not be happy, I would leave the United States, but I would have equal rights as the next person to marry

And here we come to the crux of the matter. Christianity.

While this is understandably a gross oversimplication and a Christianity based on 5th Century biblical teachings would never be in this situation, the homophobia in many modern legal systems is down to a Christian bias.

I know, full well, that America is an entirely secular country, which is why God's name is only mentioned in the Declaration of Independence , the Pledge of Allegience and the presidential oath, but let's face it, us Christians are fairly big in America. Indeed, the majority of the population would classify themselves as Christian.[1] So we have to assume that maybe Christianity has influenced America a teensy weensy bit.

So institutionalised homophobia is our fault, Euronion. But is it justified? Do Christian teachings say that homosexuals are lesser beings than we are? No, indeed it says the opposite. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus," (NIV)[2] writes Paul, and this means that there is a completely even playing field. No form of one-upmanship over other people, for "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (NIV)[3]. So we certainly aren't allowed to discriminate against anyone, even if we think that they are mass murderers. And I tell you what, for everything -StGeorge has fallen short of the Kingdom for, he is certainly still a role model to many of us. So why discriminate against a feeling that cannot be helped?

Euronion, you are a bright person, especially if your channel of choice is BBC America because they do Doctor Who and Doctor Who is British and therefore awesome. So you must realise that our shared religion has discouraged western governments from providing equal rights to homosexuals and non-homosexuals. The right to marry the one you love, for example. The right to give blood.[4] Let's face it, it isn't somebody else who has to act, it is we Christians.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

considering homosexuals make up 12-16% of every culture ever studied I would say they will likely still be gay.

Pffft! Jesus, where are you getting your numbers?
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Euronion wrote:
Galla- wrote:
Heteros can marry heteros.
Homos cannot marry homos.

Not really equal.

Homos can marry
Heteros can marry

I really am getting tired of typing the same thing 10 times for someone who has just entered the thread, go a page or two back.

Then stop typing it... Your claim is obvious bullshit.
Heteros can marry the person of their choosing.
Homos cannot marry the person of their choosing.
Simple as that.
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:37 pm

The Sons of Thomas wrote:I love when some one posts on this thread and then gets harrasment for their opinion. :?

If their opinion is based upon obvious bullshit, why shouldn't they be?
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:38 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Yeah, actually they are...

Normal merely means "average". Contrary to how many people use it, it is therefor neither negative nor positive. A genius is not normal, nor is an imbecile.

Homosexuals form a minority, just like gingers, left-handed people, nobel prize winners, Olympic athlethes, massmurderers and honest lawyers. They are not normal ;)

They are a part of normal society though.
Married to Koshka

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:38 pm

what about Orthodox, they make up the majority of Russias population, can't ignore them
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Euronion wrote:what about Orthodox, they make up the majority of Russias population, can't ignore them

I think they guys were including the orthodox in the 'other' billion or so Christians who aren't Catholics. The Orthodox obviously outnumber the protestants greatly.

Wars
Seal

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:39 pm

The Irish Marchlands wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:

Even if his numbers are slightly inflated (which they may be - I'm not sure) that does not change the validity of his statement.
Married to Koshka

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Euronion wrote:
Homos can marry
Heteros can marry

I really am getting tired of typing the same thing 10 times for someone who has just entered the thread, go a page or two back.

Simple as that.

I assume that you read the thead since you quoted everyone through it, so go and read my explanations again, because I do not want to type another explanation for someone who will waste my time like you will, you have quite a reputation around the forums on arguements like the one at stake here, stop flaming, stop insulting, and either offer something constructive or leave because I am not in the mood to argue with you right now come back in a day or two and then I will be ready to spar. Until then I will not reply to any of your posts
Last edited by Euronion on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:42 pm

The Irish Marchlands wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:

the scientific compendium
Human Sperm Competition: Copulation, Masturbation and Infidelity
by M A Bellis and R R Baker

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Euronion wrote:
Homos can marry
Heteros can marry

Simple as that.

They can if they choose correctly ;)
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General