NATION

PASSWORD

Why are People Homophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:You can't forcibly change people's attitudes or morality. If you do that you're practically headed for thought control. Political Correctness, as it's being practiced in some circles, falls just short of thought control by penalizing people for certain attitudes, feelings, and 'incorrect' thinking.

They can live their lives and have the relationships they want, but they can't have the exact reaction and outcome by forcing people to give it to them.

who is trying to change your attitude, allowing gay marriage is about changing the law, you can keep your beliefs.
and of course you can forcibly change someones morality, that's what laws do, make everyone live by the same rules. You are arguing I should be allowed to murder people if I happen to think it is morally acceptable.

not when you force down kidnegartner's throats and give the parents the option of either going to jail or accepting sometihng that is against their religion
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Which is only half of the worlds population ;) Currently that is.
But true, it is unlikely. Still, thought experiments often are :)

Christians make up 3 billion of the worlds population

Make that 2. Christianity is smaller than you think, though it indeed is the worlds largest religion (ignoring the diferences between denominations, and including mormons and such).
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Would you oppose making it right, provided it stays equal ?

no I wouldn't oppose making it right, but the post I was orginally responding to was saying that gays don't have equal rights,which they do, they just don't have what they wish

Heteros can marry heteros.
Homos cannot marry homos.

Not really equal.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Johz wrote:
Euronion wrote:
they most certainly do, if a gay man married a women, he would be entitled to the same tax benefits, because he is married. Again heterosexuals can't marry their own sex either.

Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?

"Content to marry another man"

That's only a problem if heterosexuals are forcing gays to marry the opposite sex. :lol:

Nobody, except fundamentalists maybe, expect homosexuals to change to the dark side and marry and live as a heterosexual.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Euronion wrote:
Johz wrote:Imagine, Euronion, if the law changed. Imagine if heterosexual marriages were banned, and homosexual marriages were the only accepted form of marriage. Would you be content to marry another man, while all the time loving another woman? Or would you argue that someone has taken your rights away?

1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world and we rely on marraige for mostly reporduction and the stable raising of a child with both contributors to the gene pool present.
2. I would not be happy, I would leave the United States, but I would have equal rights as the next person to marry

marriage has nothing to do with reproduction.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Why are people homophobic? Couldn't tell you, most of the people I know opposed to gay marriage or the LGBT movement as a whole generally aren't afraid of Homosexuals.

However, smart alecy-ness aside. The truth is there are a wide variety of reasons people are opposed to gay rights - Or 'homophobic' if you wish to insist on it as an umbrella term - and this includes of course being in the closet themselves and are reacting harshly against open or percieved homosexuals because of it. But this is a VASTLY overrated definition, almost worryingly so. Its actually gotten to the point that if one were to speak their minds about either not liking homosexuality as a whole (or in part, or merely opposed to gay marriage as opposed to homosexuality in its entirety) that there are people who genuinely believe that person 'to be in the closet' themselves as it were. We are dealing with a deep and complex sociological issues on all sides, and to reduce opposition to Homosexuality as merely 'fear mongering' is doing as much a disservice to social discourse on the matter, as insisting that Homosexuality itself is a genetic issue that a person cannot help themselves but become active homosexuals or be faced, as they are led to believe, a life of mental sickness for not engaging in homosexual activity and self identity. (If this sounds familiar, it should, it is EXACTLY the kind of social pressure people accuse 'homophobes' for imposing on people with confused sexual identity only reversed)

Getting away from the meat of the matter, my two cents is that alot of factors come together to generate 'homophobia' and only some of it is genuine fear of homosexuals, but ultimately it is altogether an instinctive sociological reaction. The vast majority of our biological, pyschological and evolutionary pressures encourage us to procreate, protect our young (protecting our genes), when an abberation to this norm is spotted (for example, zoophilia or necrophilia) it is often met with hostility, moral or otherwise (this isnt universially true of course but it is a general rule of thumb for the vast majority of cultures we know about), homosexuality would have also suffered from this instinctive reaction from sexual normality (which to clarify again I shall limit solely to procreation), this instinctiveness over time became traditional and institutionalised. Long story short, if Homosexuality is natural, opposition to it is only more so.
For RP purposes my nation has 16 million people.
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

The Irish Marchlands Factbook
Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

Economic Left/Right: 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.49
Le political test: http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graphic2/169329_eng.jpg
Just call me Mr. Righty McRightright

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:12 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:
Christians make up 3 billion of the worlds population

Make that 2. Christianity is smaller than you think, though it indeed is the worlds largest religion (ignoring the diferences between denominations, and including mormons and such).

no, 1.8 billion people are catholics, and another 1.5 billion are other Chritains
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Euronion wrote:
1. that scenario is extremely unlikely because not only would it go against the relgion of Muslims, Jews, and Christains all over the world and we rely on marraige for mostly reporduction and the stable raising of a child with both contributors to the gene pool present.
2. I would not be happy, I would leave the United States, but I would have equal rights as the next person to marry

marriage has nothing to do with reproduction.

Do not be silly. Did you not know we forbid the old and infertile to marry, and that being pregnant is a requirement to obtain a marriage license ?
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

De Quay
Secretary

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby De Quay » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Anger and abuse in return for the truth I see . . . nothing new there.

Well, let's move away from the personal and take some information from others - http://citizenchris.typepad.com/citizen ... _supe.html
- and if it's a bias to want to be able to decide one's own worth and let others decide it for us, then I suspect it only shows the real problem.

And as a personal aside, no gay man has ever raped me and left me bleeding in my home. No straight male is capable of hearing that without somewhere in their "mind" ( I use that term sarcastically) the thought that I must have deserved it coming up no matter how hard they protest that they disapprove and would not have wanted to be there to 'get their share'.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

no, 1.8 billion people are catholics, and another 1.5 billion are other Chritains

Hmm. My figures are 6 years old.. I guess it is possible that the 2 billion christians have since fucked their way to 3 billion.
Do you have a source ?

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:15 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:

Hmm. My figures are 6 years old.. I guess it is possible that the 2 billion christians have since fucked their way to 3 billion.
Do you have a source ?

Actually I'd like a source too, I'm Catholic and last I checked we were well under 1.8 billion.
For RP purposes my nation has 16 million people.
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

The Irish Marchlands Factbook
Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

Economic Left/Right: 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.49
Le political test: http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graphic2/169329_eng.jpg
Just call me Mr. Righty McRightright

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:15 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Keronians wrote:
Well, marriage is also a custom in Hinduism as well, though historically it has been mainly polygamous.

So add in another billion. ;)

Hinduism is a fractured religion - and not wholly against gay marriage. In fact, quite a few Hindus even believe there are more than 2 genders.
Sikhs otoh do not like gays :P

Well, I suppose I have to give you that. We Hindus are a bunch of hippies.

... Until you put us next to Pakistani Muslims that is.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:You can't forcibly change people's attitudes or morality. If you do that you're practically headed for thought control. Political Correctness, as it's being practiced in some circles, falls just short of thought control by penalizing people for certain attitudes, feelings, and 'incorrect' thinking.

They can live their lives and have the relationships they want, but they can't have the exact reaction and outcome by forcing people to give it to them.

who is trying to change your attitude, allowing gay marriage is about changing the law, you can keep your beliefs.
and of course you can forcibly change someones morality, that's what laws do, make everyone live by the same rules. You are arguing I should be allowed to murder people if I happen to think it is morally acceptable.

No, laws dealing with criminal acts don't change morality so much as they attempt to uphold the rights of a person not to be harmed. Your rights end where my nose begins. That's merely about order in a society.

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Galla- wrote:
Euronion wrote:
no I wouldn't oppose making it right, but the post I was orginally responding to was saying that gays don't have equal rights,which they do, they just don't have what they wish

Heteros can marry heteros.
Homos cannot marry homos.

Not really equal.

Homos can marry
Heteros can marry

I really am getting tired of typing the same thing 10 times for someone who has just entered the thread, go a page or two back.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:16 pm

I demand the same rights for others that I reserve for myself, and I reserve the right to marry the consenting adult of my choice.
I reserve the right to put what I wish into my body, so even though I do not smoke, I demand others have the right to smoke if they wish.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:17 pm

The Irish Marchlands wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Do you have a source ?

Actually I'd like a source too, I'm Catholic and last I checked we were well under 1.8 billion.

MIne is the site adherents.com.
But, as I said, the figures there are from 2005.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:17 pm

The Irish Marchlands wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Do you have a source ?

Yeah, I thought Catholics were roughly 1 billion.

And despite not being Catholic myself, I live in a country full of Catholics: Spain.

75% recognise as Catholics. 90% baptised.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:17 pm

De Quay wrote:Anger and abuse in return for the truth I see . . . nothing new there.

Well, let's move away from the personal and take some information from others - http://citizenchris.typepad.com/citizen ... _supe.html
- and if it's a bias to want to be able to decide one's own worth and let others decide it for us, then I suspect it only shows the real problem.

And as a personal aside, no gay man has ever raped me and left me bleeding in my home. No straight male is capable of hearing that without somewhere in their "mind" ( I use that term sarcastically) the thought that I must have deserved it coming up no matter how hard they protest that they disapprove and would not have wanted to be there to 'get their share'.

Don't mix issues. Rape has nothing to do with this. You're biased against hetero men.
Last edited by Pauper Kings on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:20 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:

Do you have a source ?

They've fucked and converted their way to 2.2 billion.

Muslims have fucked and converted their way to 1.7 billion.

Jews have fucked their way to 18 million.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

I would love to know why you are assuming everyone who supports equal rights for homosexuals is themselves homosexual...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Euronion wrote:
if it goes against someone's religion then it goes against someone's religion, and therefore parents should be given the choice to opt-out, many christians believe that homosexuality is wrong and should not be taught, since there are around 3 billion christains on Earth, I think it the system should at least offer an opt out option

Fine, having to do exams goes against my religion. Therefore I should just be given grades without having to do them. That makes precisely as much sense as your statement.

Just a nit-pick, but it already works that way... The grade will be a zero, but it's still a grade... :p
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:I would love to know how many of you're fashionably gay. When the stupid fad, to some extent, disappears I wonder how many of you will still be gay or 'gay'.

For the moment darling.

I would love to know why you are assuming everyone who supports equal rights for homosexuals is themselves homosexual...

If you're not gay than I wasn't addressing you; kay?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:I would love to know why you are assuming everyone who supports equal rights for homosexuals is themselves homosexual...

If you're not gay than I wasn't addressing you; kay?

I am quite lighthearted sometimes. Does that make me gay ?

And I am also a gay man in the 17th century meaning of the word ;)
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Euronion wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Because the possibly schizophrenic leader of a tribe of socially backwards, scientifically and philosophically illiterate ancient goat herders wrote something about how evil god said it is over 2,000 years ago in some desert somewhere.

insulting the Christain God and christian beliefs is no better than insulting homosexuals for their beliefs.

Difference is we know that homosexuals exist...
Married to Koshka

Euronion
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:24 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Euronion wrote:

Do you have a source ?

actually after studying this for a while I know why your numbers are different, apparantly democgraphic experts have trouble drawing a line at what christian actually means, is it someone who worships Jesus alone, or is it someone who worships Jesus but follows practices that are not considered christian, this has lead to figures that are far different though, so we can't really know for sure, but the numbers I have are from an old demographics paper on the human population from around '08-'09
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General