NATION

PASSWORD

British Empire - Good or Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Limeys!

British - The empire was a good thing.
35%
British - The empire was a bad thing.
10%
Europeans - Good
9%
Europeans - Bad
4%
Citizen of a former colony - Good
21%
Citizen of a former colony - Bad
13%
Other - Good
3%
Other - Bad
4%

Total votes : 271

KludgeMUSH
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby KludgeMUSH » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 am

Well, given that the most apparent and noticeable product of the British Empire is America, and that if the British had stayed home, we'd probably be dealing with the Mexican Empire today, you decide whether that would have been good or bad.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:38 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:All nations based on imperialism are bad, including Britain

Name one country that has never used force to try and expand its borders and influence. I'll even believe you.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:38 am

H-Alba wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:Good- spreading technology just as the Romans did before them.

Yea, because it was only England that sailed overseas.. :roll:

No, of course the English weren't. But the English Culture was the one culture that did spread. But I was referring to the term British today in my statement. There aren't British Haggises, but there are British teas. Calling it British seems silly to me when they are distinct cultures, that in my opinion shouldn't be "plopped" together.

British Tea culture isn't an exclusively English phenomenon. Indeed, the common or garden tea most Britons drink today is believed by many to have been a Scottish blend popularised by Queen Victoria, who loved Scottish culture- and Victoria (as well as the Scots' disproportionate presence in the Empire's Army) is of course why bagpipes, kilts, etc. are popular throughout the world, particularly in the Commonwealth. Nova Scotia and New Zealand's South Island are particularly Scottish, and the Scots were particularly instrumental in the late 18th century British Empire's economy, funding the Scottish Enlightenment. The Highlanders and Ulster Scots also provide the lion's share of the basis for Upper Southern/Appalachian (WV, TN, KY) culture in the USA- country music, bluegrass, etc.

I needn't go into the massive Irish influence on Commonwealth culture because it's bleedingly obvious, so it's silly to say that only English culture permeated through the Empire.

Also, many things popularised over the last century are universal to all Britain- not least the shared history of the Empire- and so it is proper to consider that while each nation of the Union has its unique cultures (and local differences then- none more so than the Lowlander/Highland Gaelic/Shetland & Orkney divisions in Scotland), there are many things that unify us as well. Chicken Tikka Masala, for example, originates from Glasgow.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:39 am

H-Alba wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Scottish culture was spread, just as English was.

And yes there is British Haggis, as it was invented in England and popularised in Scotland- same goes for the kilt skirt (but not the full-body kilt, that's 100% Scottish).

I disagree. I've never heard one person refer it as a British Haggis, only as a Scottish Haggis, nor have I ever heard anyone claim it was invented in England. And the kilt is one minor aspect of Scottish Culture that was spread. I'm talking about Highland Culture, the Gaelic Language and traditions were all oppressed while the English culture spread.

Before Lord Dacre, the "kilt" was the full-body thing that you see in Medieval 2 Total War.

And if Scottish soldiers playing the bagpipe while wearing kilts in the Empire isn't "Scottish culture" then I don't know what is.

As for the gaelic language, oppressed by who? And please, let's not get into Mel Gibson hyperbole.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:42 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
H-Alba wrote:
I disagree. I've never heard one person refer it as a British Haggis, only as a Scottish Haggis, nor have I ever heard anyone claim it was invented in England. And the kilt is one minor aspect of Scottish Culture that was spread. I'm talking about Highland Culture, the Gaelic Language and traditions were all oppressed while the English culture spread.

Before Lord Dacre, the kilt was the full-body thing that you see in Medieval 2 Total War.

And if Scottish soldiers playing the bagpipe in the Empire isn't "Scottish culture" then I don't know what is.

As for the gaelic language, oppressed by who? And please, let's not get into Mel Gibson hyperbole.

Oppressed not nearly so much by the English as by the Lowlanders, who granted spoke English, but formed from the 15th century on (or even earlier) the nucleus of the state of Scotland, and to this day dislike England more than they do the 'Teuchters'. Curiously enough, however, despite being acutely aware of the Highland-Lowland divide within Scotland, H Alba seems to declare pride in being Scottish as a whole (and that whole has for many centuries been Anglophone Lowland dominated), rather than in being a Highlander.
Last edited by Angleter on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:42 am

Being the largest drug cartel & largest human trafficking organisation in the world's history. Good or bad?
Last edited by Nazis in Space on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rome and arabia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rome and arabia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 am

H-Alba wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Care to elaborate?

All the British Empire did was spread English culture around the world. I am glad the world is the way it is today, yes. And I wouldn't want to go back to change it. I think there were more effective ways then building an empire.

As for my second statement I feel the term British is unfair. When people say British then tend to mean English, and the "other Brits' are left out in "British Culture".

Well now I have to explain the origins of that term,

Britannia was a term given to the island by the romans. The word was originally a greek term for island chain, but came to represent the entire British isles, so British means to hail somewhere in the British isles

He's Ronald Reagan hes come to save the day just snap your fingers and fix the U.S.A.

Gather conservatives lend me a hand unless you want this liberal wuss in command, I spent years in a rat hole in north Vietnam now the jihad needs containing

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:45 am

Nazis in Space wrote:Being the largest drug cartel & largest human trafficking organisation in the world's history. Good or bad?

Revolutionising the world's technology and united- good or bad?

See, I can cherry-pick too!
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:45 am

Nazis in Space wrote:Being the largest drug cartel & largest human trafficking organisation in the world's history. Good or bad?

Good.
Go Vikings.

Muspelheim II
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Muspelheim II » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 am

To sum up hundreds of years of history in either of two words is foolish and utterly naive. The British Empire was responsible for a lot of evil in the world, and its legacy is still felt today. But at the same time it provided a strong government, the basics of democracy, a common language and foundations for prosperity.

You have to question if it wasn't the British then who would it have been? It'd probably be the French or Spanish who dominated much of the world. The British just managed to exploit technology, people and power better. Since its decline many of the countries it once occupied have lacked what the British provided. Look at Zimbabwe, India, Pakistan, Egypt... They've since been controlled by corrupt governments and brutal dictators, leaving the question 'would they have been better under the British?'

Delmire
Attaché

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Delmire » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:47 am

H-Alba wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:Good- spreading technology just as the Romans did before them.

Yea, because it was only England that sailed overseas.. :roll:

No, of course the English weren't. But the English Culture was the one culture that did spread. But I was referring to the term British today in my statement. There aren't British Haggises, but there are British teas. Calling it British seems silly to me when they are distinct cultures, that in my opinion shouldn't be "plopped" together.

I agree in part, but I hate it when people say England and mean Britain or UK, Great Britain should be used more often than it is not less. The cultural and historical achievements in every field was done from the moment of union as a whole not as individual nations, after all every nation could be broken down into hundreds based on culture, language, inventions, favourite foods, sports, history...
Each county has that alone! Eccles should have launched a civil war by now so its cakes dont get called 'British' (a geographical location that is technically correct, same for politicly actually when I think about it...

The British empire has been described as the empire of good intentions, most of the time (America, Africa, India etc.) Britain got involved because of other colonial powers, *cough*France*cough* and so it can be said in the beginning at least it didn't go looking for one. As empires go it was one of/the best, but as all other nations/tribes/empires.etc. had some dark moments.
Georgism wrote:Oh sweet merciful fuck.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:48 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:

Revolutionising the world's technology and united- good or bad?

See, I can cherry-pick too!
Manchester United is another strike against, you know.

Shikarta
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shikarta » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:50 am

And also spread poison gas on Kurds and Arabs, and threw the Boers in concentration camps, amongst literally countless other crimes against humanity with barely any penance.

And if anyone accuses me of cherrypicking, you must therefore be excusing spreading 'technology', which could have equally been achieved through peaceful means, with some of the most brutal crimes witnessed by the world.
Last edited by Shikarta on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PROTECTED RESERVE of SHIKARTA

Shikarta (English pronunciation: /ʃɪkərtɑː/), is Maredoratica's largest nature and indigenous reserve, represented internationally by the Organisation for the Conservation of Shikarta (an agency of the Maredoratic League).

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:51 am

Shikarta wrote:

And also spread poison gas on Kurds and Arabs, and threw the Boers in concentration camps, amongst literally countless other crimes against humanity with barely any penance.

Name one country that truly shaped the world without racking up a body count.
Go Vikings.

South Norfair
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norfair » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:52 am

Blazedtown wrote:
Naurobia wrote:It was very bad. India used to actually be one of the wealthiest and most developed places in the world until the british colonized it in the 18th century.

I'll take democracy, liberty and other enlightenment era ideals over Hindu and Muslim monarchy and mysticism any day of the week.

You'd take it, but nobody asked those elder civilizations what they would take, it was just imposed on them and in most cases it didn't work as well as the previous system.

The British Empire was built with selfish, evil intent, with good results around certain parts of the world; in other parts, the disruption caused in a civilization split in different colonies has created issues many countries are still struggling to resolve. The same can be said of most colonial powers, but in a smaller scope.

H-Alba
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:53 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
H-Alba wrote:

Before Lord Dacre, the "kilt" was the full-body thing that you see in Medieval 2 Total War.

And if Scottish soldiers playing the bagpipe while wearing kilts in the Empire isn't "Scottish culture" then I don't know what is.

The lowland Scots, who are anglophones. My granddad had the tawse used on him, just for speaking Gaelic in School, and it was common for Gaels to be beat after school for using the language. That's really "being friendly" isn't it?
Angleter wrote:Oppressed not nearly so much by the English as by the Lowlanders, who granted spoke English, but formed from the 15th century on (or even earlier) the nucleus of the state of Scotland, and to this day dislike England more than they do the 'Teuchters'. Curiously enough, however, despite being acutely aware of the Highland-Lowland divide within Scotland, H Alba seems to declare pride in being Scottish as a whole (and that whole has for many centuries been Anglophone Lowland dominated), rather than in being a Highlander.

I'm more proud of being a Highlander, and an Ethno-Linguistic Gael, but that doesn't make me "not Scottish". I'm proud of the Gaelic Culture, more then I am of just "being Scottish over all". Would you prefer I be more specific in my signature?
I serve Queen and Country

Shikarta
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shikarta » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 am

Blazedtown wrote:
Shikarta wrote:

Name one country that truly shaped the world without racking up a body count.

So 'shaping' the world according to your own culture excuses the committing of crimes against humanity, does it?
Last edited by Shikarta on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PROTECTED RESERVE of SHIKARTA

Shikarta (English pronunciation: /ʃɪkərtɑː/), is Maredoratica's largest nature and indigenous reserve, represented internationally by the Organisation for the Conservation of Shikarta (an agency of the Maredoratic League).

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 am

H-Alba wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

The lowland Scots, who are anglophones. My granddad had the tawse used on him, just for speaking Gaelic in School, and it was common for Gaels to be beat after school for using the language. That's really "being friendly" isn't it?

Its more friendly than killing them...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 am

H-Alba wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Care to elaborate?

All the British Empire did was spread English culture around the world.

Yeaah well not a fault. Every empire spreed it's own culture where it went.

I am glad the world is the way it is today, yes. And I wouldn't want to go back to change it. I think there were more effective ways then building an empire.

Oh do tell.

As for my second statement I feel the term British is unfair. When people say British then tend to mean English, and the "other Brits' are left out in "British Culture".

It's called Great Britain.

And what exactly is British Culture?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:56 am

South Norfair wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
I'll take democracy, liberty and other enlightenment era ideals over Hindu and Muslim monarchy and mysticism any day of the week.

You'd take it, but nobody asked those elder civilizations what they would take, it was just imposed on them and in most cases it didn't work as well as the previous system.

Who cares? If they were able to be beaten into submission by an island half way around the world, they were past their prime and had grow stagnant. New countries rise and overtake the old powers. Its the progression of history.
Go Vikings.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:56 am

Shikarta wrote:

And if anyone accuses me of cherrypicking, you must therefore be excusing spreading 'technology', which could have equally been achieved through peaceful means, with some of the most brutal crimes witnessed by the world.

Creating railways in Zulu-era Africa without force.....hmmmmmmmmmm
Lurking NSG since 2005

Muspelheim II
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Muspelheim II » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:57 am

Naurobia wrote:It was very bad. India used to actually be one of the wealthiest and most developed places in the world until the british colonized it in the 18th century.

Do you mean Mughal Empire? Maratha confederacy? The Mughal Empire came about because of an invasion and ended because of an invader. The British didn't make the Indian sub-continent less developed, they diverted wealth to the British Isles. But they did develop hospitals, bring in medicines, developed transport infrastructure (which is still used today), developed commercial hubs and cities across India.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:58 am

H-Alba wrote:
Angleter wrote:Oppressed not nearly so much by the English as by the Lowlanders, who granted spoke English, but formed from the 15th century on (or even earlier) the nucleus of the state of Scotland, and to this day dislike England more than they do the 'Teuchters'. Curiously enough, however, despite being acutely aware of the Highland-Lowland divide within Scotland, H Alba seems to declare pride in being Scottish as a whole (and that whole has for many centuries been Anglophone Lowland dominated), rather than in being a Highlander.

I'm more proud of being a Highlander, and an Ethno-Linguistic Gael, but that doesn't make me "not Scottish". I'm proud of the Gaelic Culture, more then I am of just "being Scottish over all". Would you prefer I be more specific in my signature?

By all means, because I don't remember you ever having much love for the Lowland culture. And if one is able to be a proud Highlander and consider oneself Scottish in general, I see no reason why the buck must stop at Hadrian's Wall and you can't identify as British as well.
Last edited by Angleter on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:59 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Shikarta wrote:

Creating railways in Zulu-era Africa without force.....hmmmmmmmmmm

Can you do anything in Africa without force?
Go Vikings.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:59 am

As a citizen of the former 14th British colony in America, I'm rather divided. On the one hand, they spread a lot of ideas around the world that I rather like, but at the same time they could be rather oppressive and racist at times.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General