NATION

PASSWORD

Why Are People So Critical About Christian Beliefs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dododecapod
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Sun May 29, 2011 4:43 am

JTorvik wrote:If Christianity is false then why did 11 out of the 12 disciples give theirnlives for the cause if it was a lie? Remember it is documented that those men died for Christianity.

They had faith. Faith is powerful - it can motivate men and women to do great and terrible things.
Unfortunately, faith has exactly nothing to do with truth.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun May 29, 2011 6:51 am

JTorvik wrote:If Christianity is false then why did 11 out of the 12 disciples give theirnlives for the cause if it was a lie? Remember it is documented that those men died for Christianity.

how many suicide bombers have there been?
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

JTorvik
Secretary

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby JTorvik » Sun May 29, 2011 8:11 am

The Black Forrest wrote:

And who documented it?

The roman empire documented it, look it up if you want to. And again, who would die for something they know is a lie, I certainly wouldn't.
Men can change but the Truth can't

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun May 29, 2011 8:13 am

JTorvik wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
And who documented it?

The roman empire documented it, look it up if you want to. And again, who would die for something they know is a lie, I certainly wouldn't.

Someone would lie about someone who dies.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun May 29, 2011 8:19 am

Perhaps it's because everyone had the same Christian grandma who would spank a boy for playing with barbies, talk down to women in bathing suits, and give advice when not needed.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sun May 29, 2011 8:43 am

Selothey wrote:Well... seems like it is time to start my own religion!

Good idea. I will too!

(*Pulls shirt over head and raises both arms*)

YOU WILL BOW DOWN TO THE ALMIGHTY BUNGHOLE!
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Sun May 29, 2011 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 am

JTorvik wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
And who documented it?

Bullshit.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Secular Sweden
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Secular Sweden » Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 am

Make up our own religion? I propose; ATHEISM.

Our creed;
"There is no God - and Richard Dawkins is his prophet!"
Last edited by Secular Sweden on Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded. Because the elements, the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. And the only way they could get into your body is if the stars were kind enough to explode.

So forget Jesus. The stars died so you could be here today.

Amazonnia
Secretary

Founded: May 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Amazonnia » Sun May 29, 2011 8:50 am

I find that some Christians need to keep their religion to themselves. Some of them I find are rubbing their religion in others faces. I know a few of them don't do that and let others be with their choices but honestly let people have their rights to be who they are. IF I want to be gay let me be gay without being bashed. If I want to have multiple wives to take care of children like a community family then let me. Some things may not be right but your religion really needs to shut up and leave things be. Yeah yeah think of the children bullsh!t. Honestly children will found about everything sooner or later and it's becoming sooner of age. The community shouldn't have rights to take away the freedoms people have on the human rights act. You Christians have your rights and everyone else has theirs. Why do you think yours is so much better than everyone else's? It's not. End. Of. Story.
Amazonnia
Pro-Gay Marriage, Anti-Homophobia, Equality for Women, Education is important, Healthcare is a must, Treat others like you would be treated
The Land Where Women Control Everything
"As long as your a Kitchen Knife Wife you'll survive." - Amazonnia

Amazonnia
Secretary

Founded: May 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Amazonnia » Sun May 29, 2011 8:51 am

Secular Sweden wrote:Make up our own religion? I propose; ATHEISM.

Our creed;

^ This my good man is a religion I'll follow 8)
Amazonnia
Pro-Gay Marriage, Anti-Homophobia, Equality for Women, Education is important, Healthcare is a must, Treat others like you would be treated
The Land Where Women Control Everything
"As long as your a Kitchen Knife Wife you'll survive." - Amazonnia

JTorvik
Secretary

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby JTorvik » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Our creed;

Oh really, so you believe that once upon a time there was nothing and then it exploded into mostly hydrogen which somehow turned into dust which then made planets and lightning zapped the water turning it into a mixture of 2 percent amino acids and 98 percent life inhibiting toxins and that mixture of nonliving particles somehow became living and then evolved into humans.
Men can change but the Truth can't

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 29, 2011 12:11 pm

JTorvik wrote:

Our creed;

Oh really, so you believe that once upon a time there was nothing and then it exploded into mostly hydrogen which somehow turned into dust which then made planets and lightning zapped the water turning it into a mixture of 2 percent amino acids and 98 percent life inhibiting toxins and that mixture of nonliving particles somehow became living and then evolved into humans.

Something tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun May 29, 2011 12:13 pm

JTorvik wrote:

Our creed;

The fuck?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 pm

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=108904

This thread explains a lot about why people are so critical about Christian beliefs.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
JTorvik wrote:Oh really, so you believe that once upon a time there was nothing and then it exploded into mostly hydrogen which somehow turned into dust which then made planets and lightning zapped the water turning it into a mixture of 2 percent amino acids and 98 percent life inhibiting toxins and that mixture of nonliving particles somehow became living and then evolved into humans.

Something tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.

Something tells me he's trolling, Ceannairceach. My Spider sense is tingling.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Sun May 29, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun May 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Something tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.

Really, because my common sense was tingling.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sun May 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Really, because my common sense was tingling.

My common sense told me exactly the same as Ceannairceach. My Spider sense, on the other hand... :lol:

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun May 29, 2011 12:23 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Something tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.

I got that as well.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun May 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Our creed;

The problem with Dawkins is that he labels creationists as deluded and mentally ill. Whilst the former may be true, the latter is much the same as those who advocate the existence of the 'gay disease'.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Horsefish
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Sun May 29, 2011 12:44 pm

-St George wrote:

Our creed;

The problem with Dawkins is that he labels creationists as deluded and mentally ill. Whilst the former may be true, the latter is much the same as those who advocate the existence of the 'gay disease'.

He's also a major cunt as well. Just throwing that out there.
Areopagitican wrote:I'm not an expert in the field of moron, but what I think he's saying is that if you have to have sex with Shakira (or another dirty ethnic), at the very least, it must be part of a threesome with a white woman. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to make it.

Geniasis wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bludgeon some whales to death with my 12-ft dick.

Georgism wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Maybe if you showered every now and then...

That's what the Nazis said, we're not falling for that one again.

The Western Reaches wrote:I learned that YOU are the reason I embarrassed myself by saying "Horsefish" instead of "Seahorse" this one time in school.

What's wrong with a little destruction?

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun May 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Erm, no, actually. I am inclined to agree with the current scientific consensus and certain leading theories where there is not currently a consensus, rather than some stuff you just pulled out of your arse after sitting in a high school biology lesson for ten minutes.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sun May 29, 2011 12:48 pm

I'll let the Barenaked Ladies explain it for me:

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started, wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unravelling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

"Since the dawn of man" is really not that long,
As every galaxy was formed in less time than it takes to sing this song.
A fraction of a second and the elements were made.
The bipeds stood up straight,
The dinosaurs all met their fate,
They tried to leap but they were late
And they all died (they froze their asses off)
The oceans and pangea
See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya
Set in motion by the same big bang!

It all started with the big BANG!

It's expanding ever outward but one day
It will cause the stars to go the other way,
Collapsing ever inward, we won't be here, it won't be heard
Our best and brightest figure that it'll make an even bigger bang!

Australopithecus would really have been sick of us
Debating how we're here, they're catching deer (we're catching viruses)
Religion or astronomy, Encarta, Deuteronomy
It all started with the big bang!

Music and mythology, Einstein and astrology
It all started with the big bang!
It all started with the big BANG!

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sun May 29, 2011 12:48 pm

JTorvik wrote:

Our creed;

Makes more sense than a Santa Claus look-alike making a man from dirty mud and tearing out his rib and make that into a woman.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun May 29, 2011 3:31 pm

JTorvik wrote:

Our creed;

I'm going to assume that you are attempting to describe the Big Bang, Abiogenesis, and Evolution...
Yes, I do think that the Big Bang is the best explanation currently available for how the universe came about, Abiogenesis is the best available explanation of how life started, and the Theory of Evolution via Natural Selection is the best available explanation of how life evolves.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Sun May 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Draconian Races wrote:
Seperates wrote:Why do specific individuals *cough* you *cough* fail to see that we provide examples for why we dislike Christianity, but not really Christians... You can easily mock a general concept.

Because we could mock relativism or other atheist or other-religion concepts >_>

I'm all yours. Despite the fact that everything I believe is sane and rational. When you make fun of my beliefs you make fun of the science that brought you the computer on which you do so. So, your hypocrisy aside, go on, make fun of my beliefs.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General