NATION

PASSWORD

If Arizona were to secede from the United States ..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:03 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:dont be sillly

the colorado river runs through arizona. they would make an international water compact to claim their share of that water the same as mexico has an international water compact to get its share of the rio grande water. it would probably be the same amount as they are allowed by interstate compacts now.

Theirs damns farther up stream. They could shut it down to a trickle. Then a few well placed bombs where they draw their water out and bam! no more water.

A few well placed bombs on the dams, and BAM! water.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Celis wrote:
Keronians wrote:
The drug lords probably wouldn't mind. And in that case, it's quite possible that Arizona would receive food aid from other countries. *Reads again* Meh. If that's what the Arizonans want.

How many other nations would risk pissing the Americans off and the like by trading with Arizona?

Meh. They trade with Cuba, don't they?

Oh, and, not to mention, right to self-determination and all that.

BTW, food aid isn't exactly trading. I wasn't sure by reading your post whether you were challenging that or not. It's just there to keep the people from starving to death.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Theirs damns farther up stream. They could shut it down to a trickle. Then a few well placed bombs where they draw their water out and bam! no more water.

A few well placed bombs on the dams, and BAM! water.

First off Damns are extremely hard to bust They're almost solid concrete and steel., and SAM missiles AA guns and torpedo nets could easily be erected. Second, that water would come down in a massive wall and just about kill everything in its path and wouldn't exactly be of much use to you.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Greater Miami Shores wrote:If Arizona were to secede from the United States: It would start a chain reaction of States seceding from the USA.

Unlikely.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Zairoon wrote:Other states (Particularly Texas) would demand the same.

Texas is the only state that could possibly secede legally.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:37 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Celis wrote:
I laughed when I read this. If you break the law and get caught you get owned by the law enforcement. If Arizona seceded from the US it would get owned by the Armed forces. Enough said. lol

Might makes right, I know what you believe, and am now free to ignore you.

Aren't you always going on about how you're going to shoot it out?
How is this different?

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Katganistan wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

Aren't you always going on about how you're going to shoot it out?
How is this different?

Two wrongs make a right, do not.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Celis wrote: Like the civil war? We have all read how well that worked out.

Just because a state secedes from the Union does not mean the situation will be equivalent to what happened in the Civil War. The Civil War was not just an ideological battle of unity vs. secession; it was also North vs. South and a fight over slavery.

The Confederacy cannot be used as a model for secessionists in general. They were a specific group of people who fought for a specific set of ideals in a specific historical context. The Confederates seceded with a very belligerent attitude, a militaristic tradition, a blatant contempt for the North, a plantation-based economy, a social structure in which slave ownership was an important status symbol, expansionist dreams of prying away border states and spreading into the Southwest, and an inferiority complex where they felt they had to vindicate themselves by becoming a world power. These things are not an inherent part of being secessionist.

Likewise, the North was motivated by a variety of forces, not only the desire for unity. New England had threatened secession in the past -- Massachusetts in 1803 and all of New England in 1814 -- yet there was never any risk that New England would join the Confederacy because New England was furious with the South for trying to spread slavery.

If there is a secessionist movement that is very different from the Confederacy, then it is reasonable to believe that the result would be different from what happened in the Civil War. If the secessionists attempt to leave peacefully and have no desire to bully the Union or pry away border states, people might feel less threatened. If the secessionists plan on building a country that respects human rights, they are more likely to get international recognition, and the U.S. might be more willing to let them go.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Labno wrote:
Celis wrote:The Mexican Army could easily capture Arizona as a lone entity.

That's what I have been saying but people keep on saying no and . . . [rant]

Unfortunately it's incorrect.
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Celis
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Celis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Hmmm a country vs. a state that is trying to re-establish it's economy... I wonder who would win..
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Alien Space Bats wrote:You know, I have to ask: How can ultra-conservatives be such a Flaming Critical Mass of Fail? They're laissez-faire devotees who don't understand capitalism, Rand devotees who never really read Rand, strict Constitutionalists who don't understand the Constitution, most of them profess to be Christians while not understanding Christianity, and they're universally ignorant of history and incapable of using logic.

The Atlantean Menace
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantean Menace » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:03 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Celis wrote:
I laughed when I read this. If you break the law and get caught you get owned by the law enforcement. If Arizona seceded from the US it would get owned by the Armed forces. Enough said. lol

I don't think he was saying that might makes right. Might might not make right, but it makes what happens happen. Whether or not it's "right" for the military to go in and forcible repossess Arizona is irrelevant. It's what would happen.

Celis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Celis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:05 pm

The Atlantean Menace wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

I don't think he was saying that might makes right. Might might not make right, but it makes what happens happen. Whether or not it's "right" for the military to go in and forcible repossess Arizona is irrelevant. It's what would happen.

Quote for truth. ^

Alien Space Bats wrote:You know, I have to ask: How can ultra-conservatives be such a Flaming Critical Mass of Fail? They're laissez-faire devotees who don't understand capitalism, Rand devotees who never really read Rand, strict Constitutionalists who don't understand the Constitution, most of them profess to be Christians while not understanding Christianity, and they're universally ignorant of history and incapable of using logic.

The Evil Reich
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Evil Reich » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Celis wrote:Hmmm a country vs. a state that is trying to re-establish it's economy... I wonder who would win..

I wonder why they have to fight in the first place...

Celis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Celis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:02 pm

I have no idea I was just going along with the debate. Lol

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 pm

The Evil Reich wrote:
Celis wrote:Hmmm a country vs. a state that is trying to re-establish it's economy... I wonder who would win..

Because not all Arizonans would want to leave the country.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

The Evil Reich
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Evil Reich » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
The Evil Reich wrote:

Because not all Arizonans would want to leave the country.

People could apply to have legal resident status instead of Arizona citizenship if the secesh government is not looking for a fight.

Celis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Celis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 pm

A secession of Arizona from the Union would result in the United States Armed Forces recapturing it forcefully.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Is this country Mexico or the US?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

The Evil Reich
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Evil Reich » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Celis wrote:A secession of Arizona from the Union would result in the United States Armed Forces recapturing it forcefully.

You know this for a fact? What'd you do? Hack God's computer and look at the algorithms for U.S. politics?

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Celis wrote:A secession of Arizona from the Union would result in the United States Armed Forces recapturing it forcefully.

That depends entirely on how smart the Arizonans were in going about the movement.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Maryginia
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Maryginia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Keronians wrote:

That depends entirely on how smart the Arizonans were in going about the movement.

we're not very smart i live in a suburb of phoenix trust me i know.
PRO ISRAEL AND DAMN PROUD
TAKE BACK MUSIC!
Impeach Pop music, Legalize creativity, Auto-tune is theft, Real Music forever

I SIDE WITH UKRAINE

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Keronians wrote:

How's that?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Celis wrote:Arizona is surrounded my other US States and shares a border with Mexico. How would it trade with other countries/states? Lol It would be economically starved. Especially since Mexico wouldn't dare open up trade with Arizona least it bring about the anger of the US.

Bull, it is in the economic interests of the united states to maintain peaceful trade relations with all it's neighbors, including soverign arizona

Trade would not stop. Arizona would most likely become a signatory to nafta.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 pm

I actually don't think that the US will win. If the Arizonans stick to it, be smart about how they go about doing it (peaceful, conceding, appealing to the emotions of the American people, etc) and have any guts and are willing to die for their independence, I personally doubt the US will be able to keep Arizona, even if it runs it over.

Primarily because it will be viewed as an aggressor in the eyes of the international community and in many of the eyes of the American citizens themselves. Next, we have guerrilla warfare. If the Arizonans stick to their guns (and I bet they have a lot of real guns thanks to the US' gun laws), it will just become a headache for the American Armed Forces.

Of course, I too am being idealist. But that's how the Arizonans should plan it out. If they don't, then bye bye... or should I say hello, welcome back?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Maryginia wrote:
Keronians wrote:

we're not very smart i live in a suburb of phoenix trust me i know.

Yeah, that's the sad bit.

I don't like generalising, though. All you need is a few smart guys (who''ll be leaders), and a population that's willing to stick it out for their "freedom". Do you have that kind of thing?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

PreviousNext

Advertisement